Treadmill vs street

Options

Replies

• Taes_Hunt
    Taes_Hunt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh gawd, will you guys stop with the "dreadmill" crap?

Might as well say screw it to the "dreadbell" too right? Screw lifting weights. Go outside in nature and pick up boulders n *kitten*.

P.S., if you're gonna call it names, I prefer "threatmill". :smile:

I needed that laugh.... thank you!!! :laugh:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm only on a treadmill if it's too dark or the weather is horrible. But I don't find it nearly as challenging or interesting.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Although, in the treadmill's favor, you can use that when the weather's crummy.

Define "crummy". I'm sure my definition differs from yours, but here in the Baltimore area, I only had 4 crummy days last year in which I was forced onto the treadmill. :smile:

Crummy for me (although I'm not the person you're asking) is anything not between 45 and 65 degrees, any kind of precipitation, wind more than 10mph, snow/ice/mud on the roads, and/or the threat of any of the above during the time I expect to be outside. I hate nature-and i am outside more than in (although I don't have any of the normal resentful feelings towards my treadmill). I will say safety is a much bigger issue than weather where I am-and that will bring me inside faster than hurricane sandy did.

With those parameters, you might have gotten in a dozen or so runs outside here last year. :laugh:

I did update my post to say that I am a bit of a princess. I really am outside more than in....I'm willing to stretch the temp criteria depending on amount of sun & wind, but I'm not about to run in the rain or snow (I know-princess...). Frankly, flooding has brought me inside more than weather criteria in the last year. I am ambivalent to the treadmill vs outside-so it just doesn't bother me to be inside. I do make more of an effort to be outside if I'm planning to do a race in the near future-but otherwise, I really don't care (I know that's not normal).

You really, really, really should try running in the snow if you get the chance. There really is nothing more peaceful. A trail run with about 2 inches of soft powder on the ground with snow falling overhead is poetic. The snow dampens the world and everything becomes so still and peaceful that you can feel every sound around you.

Do you worry about slipping? Wear different shoes? We haven't had any snow yet, but I do want to keep running once it starts flying.

Running in the snow, people can barely walk in the snow, that sounds insane. If there is anything on the ground other than concrete, I will be on the treadmill.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, I only just started, literally a week ago, but I prefer the treadmill. I am not able to run for long periods of time (yet) so I need the treadmill to tell me when to go hard and when to walk. I use the interval setting and run for a set amount of time, and walk for a set amount of time. If I were running outdoors, I don't think I would have enough discipline to run the entire time I'm supposed to. The treadmill kind of MAKES me go as hard as I should. In time I would like to become a runner outside. But like mentioned by a few other people, I don't do outdoors too well right now, and I don't like running at night by myself. So the treadmill is best for me. To each their own though of course :) Good luck with whatever route you take!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I like both!
  • Bobbr2
    Bobbr2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Street......when you're 4-5 miles away from home, you have to make it back home.
    Too easy to jump off the dreadmill. However, the main thing is to do something!
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Whichever you can stick with is what works best for you - I do both - treadmill is better for your joints, but you do get a different type of workout on the pavement with wind resistance, natural inclines and declines, etc. Calorie burn difference is minimal. Calorie burn is about speed and time when it comes to running.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Although, in the treadmill's favor, you can use that when the weather's crummy.

Define "crummy". I'm sure my definition differs from yours, but here in the Baltimore area, I only had 4 crummy days last year in which I was forced onto the treadmill. :smile:

Crummy for me (although I'm not the person you're asking) is anything not between 45 and 65 degrees, any kind of precipitation, wind more than 10mph, snow/ice/mud on the roads, and/or the threat of any of the above during the time I expect to be outside. I hate nature-and i am outside more than in (although I don't have any of the normal resentful feelings towards my treadmill). I will say safety is a much bigger issue than weather where I am-and that will bring me inside faster than hurricane sandy did.

With those parameters, you might have gotten in a dozen or so runs outside here last year. :laugh:

I did update my post to say that I am a bit of a princess. I really am outside more than in....I'm willing to stretch the temp criteria depending on amount of sun & wind, but I'm not about to run in the rain or snow (I know-princess...). Frankly, flooding has brought me inside more than weather criteria in the last year. I am ambivalent to the treadmill vs outside-so it just doesn't bother me to be inside. I do make more of an effort to be outside if I'm planning to do a race in the near future-but otherwise, I really don't care (I know that's not normal).

You really, really, really should try running in the snow if you get the chance. There really is nothing more peaceful. A trail run with about 2 inches of soft powder on the ground with snow falling overhead is poetic. The snow dampens the world and everything becomes so still and peaceful that you can feel every sound around you.

Do you worry about slipping? Wear different shoes? We haven't had any snow yet, but I do want to keep running once it starts flying.

Just regular trail shoes. The soft snow gives way enough that you don't really have to worry about slipping on it. If you get on a steep section, just shorten up your stride.

Thanks! I don't currently have trail shoes - I just wear my regular running shoes when I hit the trails. Probably not a good plan for snow though.
  • oliviamariex
    Options
    I honestly like both equally. Running outside allows for scenery, more exploring, and fresh air. But I like the treadmill because I can watch TV or a movie while running. And there are no bugs haha, But if it is cold outside like it is now, I would definitely say treadmill! I can only run for like 5 min in anything less than 50 F, else I can't breathe properly! lol
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Before my injury I personally preferred the treadmill. I found that the scenery outside was too interesting and distracting.

The treadmill keeps me at an even speed, I have a less chance of tripping (I'm a klutz).

I can use it any time of the day, any day of the week in any weather.

Some people watch TV while running, but I find that just as distracting as cars, houses and people.

I use the treadmill to read, which I can't do outside. For me, I would give myself "just X more pages and I can walk for a bit" and then after the X pages I would encourage myself to keep running another X pages. I guess that helped my endurance too, because in my mind I couldn't go to the end of the next block because it would look SO FAR AWAY!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is boring. The whole point of running for me is to relax and enjoy myself. I like nice scenery and sunshine.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because outside you will get arrested for running naked.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Removed quotes.
    Thanks! I don't currently have trail shoes - I just wear my regular running shoes when I hit the trails. Probably not a good plan for snow though.

If it's a fairly flat surface, with powdery snow, regular running shoes would work fine. If the snow get's really wet, it can compress and become a bit slippery. You just have to slow down, take smaller strides and take it all in.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    But what about when there is no sunshine
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?
    Recommendation is 1-2% incline to make up for lack of wind resistance, etc.

Recent study conducted by Running Times showed that there is no compensation necessary for wind resistance until you are running sub 6:00 miles.

Really? That is good to know because whenever I use the incline on a treadmill I have a harder time with shin splints and asthma.

I prefer outdoors but from about May to Mid-Sept use treadmill. Too hot on the surface of the sun and I can't get up at 4am to run. :tongue:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Before my injury I personally preferred the treadmill. I found that the scenery outside was too interesting and distracting.

The treadmill keeps me at an even speed, I have a less chance of tripping (I'm a klutz).

I can use it any time of the day, any day of the week in any weather.

Some people watch TV while running, but I find that just as distracting as cars, houses and people.

I use the treadmill to read, which I can't do outside. For me, I would give myself "just X more pages and I can walk for a bit" and then after the X pages I would encourage myself to keep running another X pages. I guess that helped my endurance too, because in my mind I couldn't go to the end of the next block because it would look SO FAR AWAY!

How the heck do you read while running? I'd love to learn this trick because I have a ton of reading to do in law school and I can only manage speed walking at an incline or the stairs while reading.
  • julesassid
    Options
    I would enjoy outdoors more if I didn't have such horrible asthma. I'm allergic to all sorts of fun outdoor stuff so I end up weezing and having an attack every single time I try to run outside.
    I agree that the treadmill is borning, but it's better than nothing.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    But what about when there is no sunshine

You make your own. :smile:
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster who called it a dreadmill, lol. I prefer outside for scenery and I like varying inclines and terrain. Treadmill seems so long! Park is best, and my fiance's neighborhood has sidewalks so thats nice when i'm there.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?
    Recommendation is 1-2% incline to make up for lack of wind resistance, etc.

Recent study conducted by Running Times showed that there is no compensation necessary for wind resistance until you are running sub 6:00 miles.

Really? That is good to know because whenever I use the incline on a treadmill I have a harder time with shin splints and asthma.

Yes, really.