Treadmill vs street

Options

Replies

• annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?
    Recommendation is 1-2% incline to make up for lack of wind resistance, etc.
    when its 99 at 4 am, no way im going outside! in july, it never cools off! thats what the treadmill is for.
    Recent study conducted by Running Times showed that there is no compensation necessary for wind resistance until you are running sub 6:00 miles.

Really? That is good to know because whenever I use the incline on a treadmill I have a harder time with shin splints and asthma.

I prefer outdoors but from about May to Mid-Sept use treadmill. Too hot on the surface of the sun and I can't get up at 4am to run. :tongue:

I was sent to the surface of the sun on a business trip this summer. Lovely place-I enjoyed that it was nice and flat but good Christ it was hot. No reason for it to be almost 90 before the sun is up. And I had to be outside because work insisted we stay in a ghetto hotel that had no gym.

Oh man, that had to have been difficult. I want to try running outside this summer but am so nervous. I went a few times on what seemed like a nice September afternoon... I learned quickly that 98 is still just as hot as 115 when you run at 1 in the afternoon.
  • grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the odd man out here. I use my treadmill for my daily cardio because I do it first thing in the morning (5:00 am). I don't want to throw on a bunch of clothes and go outside at that time. I watch a recorded TV program or a ball game for an hour or so. I mostly walk, but do jog for a few minutes at a time. I like to be able to adjust the incline to make the walking a little harder. It works for me. My wife prefers to run outside, but will use the treadmill when pressed for time.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I use run on both the treadmill and the street/trails. For a while I let the cold weather/snow be an excuse to stay inside. I am not using that as an excuse any more. There is nothing wrong with winter running so long as you are not running in dangerous conditions (like on the edge of a slippery road, covered in ice with lots of traffic).
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am really liking pavement and my knees finally got used to it. No pain at all now!
    I love the feeling of trying to beat my last time with the whole, "Ok, this time, I'm going to pass that light pole in under 5 minutes!" pep talks. And I feel like a total badass when I'm running in the rain :bigsmile:
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Depends on the time of year. I like street better and trails best. However, I live in a rural town in Minnesota. So, after a snow storm, on icy days, during a heat wave, during a cold snap, when it's raining, when it's snowing, when it's foggy, etc. I have to go for the treadmill. Let's face it; people shouldn't live here most of the time. But I love it anyway:love:
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. I lost all my weight from the treadmill and it broke because I wore it out! Now I have taken to the streets and I HATE it. I was use to walking/running on a 7 incline and now unless I go find an elevated ground area I am flat and I don't feel I am exerting myself like I did on the treadmill. I could burn way more calories on the treadmill using the incline than I do now. Now I have to stay out longer and go futher to compensate.

Congrats on your weight loss!!!!

Thank you! Good luck with your journey and as long as you get exercise in (whichever you choose), along with a healthy diet, you will see results.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I prefer running outside for the change of scenery, fresh air, and the "not having to push buttons" thing for speed - but right now it is winter and I hate the outside when it's winter. Once it gets below 30 I'm done for the season.

Plus side of running on my treadmill indoors is that I get to watch Netflix! lol
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Running in extreme heat conditions just requires adaptations. It takes about 3 weeks for your body to become acclimated to the heat. The first thing you have to do is slow way down. Then, after that acclimation period, you will find your pace naturally getting faster. Maybe not back to your pace at 45°F, but it will be faster than when you first started running in the heat. You will lose this adaptation over the winter and will need the same 3 week period to acclimate when summer rolls back around.

Any slower and I will be walking. :laugh:

I plan to work on it this summer. I don't really want to join a gym again. I just get overheated very easily. I have read a lot of tips and things to get some ideas. In Sept I went early-ish mornings on weekends and after dark on weekdays. Still hot but not as bad.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is a lot easier. It is more boring. After you have run on the treadmill and think you are good, you go outside and see it is a harder.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Removed quotes.
    Really? That is good to know because whenever I use the incline on a treadmill I have a harder time with shin splints and asthma.

I prefer outdoors but from about May to Mid-Sept use treadmill. Too hot on the surface of the sun and I can't get up at 4am to run. :tongue:

I was sent to the surface of the sun on a business trip this summer. Lovely place-I enjoyed that it was nice and flat but good Christ it was hot. No reason for it to be almost 90 before the sun is up. And I had to be outside because work insisted we stay in a ghetto hotel that had no gym.

Oh man, that had to have been difficult. I want to try running outside this summer but am so nervous. I went a few times on what seemed like a nice September afternoon... I learned quickly that 98 is still just as hot as 115 when you run at 1 in the afternoon.

Running in extreme heat conditions just requires adaptations. It takes about 3 weeks for your body to become acclimated to the heat. The first thing you have to do is slow way down. Then, after that acclimation period, you will find your pace naturally getting faster. Maybe not back to your pace at 45°F, but it will be faster than when you first started running in the heat. You will lose this adaptation over the winter and will need the same 3 week period to acclimate when summer rolls back around.
    [/quote]

So by that same token, if I brave the cold, will I be faster? Should I be looking for a race in mid-Jan for a banging PR? That could get my princess-@as off the treadmill...I fear it may be a pipe dream...
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Removed quotes.

So by that same token, if I brave the cold, will I be faster? Should I be looking for a race in mid-Jan for a banging PR? That could get my princess-@as off the treadmill...I fear it may be a pipe dream...

To some extent, yes. Depends on the distance of the race. For 10K and shorter, I don't think temperature makes that much of a difference. For 10 mile and above and especially the marathon, cooler temps make a HUGE difference. I'd love for every race to be 44°F and low humidity...but I'm not picky.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Treadmill for running, street for walking.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Removed quotes.

[/quote]

I had a PR at my coldest 5K. I was so cold my toes and legs were numb when I started!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    street
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    5mins on the treadmill feels like an hour and I hate it. I'd rather be outside!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Im a hamster on a wheel in my day job..the last thing I want on earth is to be a hamster on a wheel when I workout...I only started running in May but I have resolved to run outdoors no matter how cold,wet and windy it is.

exposure to different weather and conditions can only make me a more polished runner. no treadmill for me. ever.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not fun for me. I do it only because I want to be healthy, and keep moving. So I get up early and walk on a Treadmill for a half hour every other day. Listening to "Preston and Steve" makes it bearable. Any walking is better than no walking in my book, so whatever works for you, I say GO FOR IT!!!
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I prefer a good trail, but where I live, getting to the trail consists of me driving to it. Yes, lazy, I know...but at least with the treadmill in the workout room at my apartment...it's something rather than nothing. Living in the suburbs near a high traffic business district is kind of a pain in the *kitten*.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Outdoors. Street is okay but beach or trail is better. I can't do treadmills. I'm not a hamster. Not that there's anything wrong with hamsters . . . nevermind
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I actually made this same decision today. I chose outside for walking (don't run yet) as the treadmill is causing pain. I will use my treadmill on bad weather days.