Treadmill vs street

Options

Replies

• Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been said or not, but I do a LOT of racing and let me tell you, if you ever want to race, then get out of the treadmill mentality, your joints will thank you come race day!

Your body needs to adapt to the different stress, otherwise you will just injure yourself :(
  • Terie_125
    Terie_125 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Prefer treadmill in the dark - very relaxing.:smile:
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Outside!! The treadmill makes me dislike running. So boring for me! Sadly, I'm stuck with the "dreadmill" if I want to run in the winter. I have asthma and the cold air does not agree with my lungs.
  • Taes_Hunt
    Taes_Hunt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?
    Recommendation is 1-2% incline to make up for lack of wind resistance, etc.

Recent study conducted by Running Times showed that there is no compensation necessary for wind resistance until you are running sub 6:00 miles.

Really? That is good to know because whenever I use the incline on a treadmill I have a harder time with shin splints and asthma.

I prefer outdoors but from about May to Mid-Sept use treadmill. Too hot on the surface of the sun and I can't get up at 4am to run. :tongue:

Maybe that is why I was having shin splint problems... I was walking on a 3-5 incline.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?

Recent study conducted by Running Times showed that there is no compensation necessary for wind resistance until you are running sub 6:00 miles.

Really? That is good to know because whenever I use the incline on a treadmill I have a harder time with shin splints and asthma.

I prefer outdoors but from about May to Mid-Sept use treadmill. Too hot on the surface of the sun and I can't get up at 4am to run. :tongue:

I was sent to the surface of the sun on a business trip this summer. Lovely place-I enjoyed that it was nice and flat but good Christ it was hot. No reason for it to be almost 90 before the sun is up. And I had to be outside because work insisted we stay in a ghetto hotel that had no gym.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Street. The treadmill is boring.

My definition of crummy is anything below zero degrees, solid layers of ice on the ground, snow so high that my work is cancelled, rain so hard that my basement is flooding, or winds so fast that there is an advisory. Anything else and I'm outside. They make clothes for that *kitten* and I like to shop!

And I should add that I prefer to run when it's dark and cold. I'm weird.
  • krtinich
    krtinich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Only good thing about treadmill is that living in MN, you can use it when the weather is crummy. Otherwise, I run OUTSIDE! I went it almost to mid-dec. this year until I had to run indoors. Also, treadmill is MUCH harder on my body than hitting the pavement. It must have to do with the fact that the treadmill basically moves your body for you and I am not using my natural stride. Can't wait for spring! :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Maybe that is why I was having shin splint problems... I was walking on a 3-5 incline.

Could be your shoes too. Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes that you get from a specialty running store. They will make sure you have the right shoe for your gait.
  • krtinich
    krtinich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree 1000000000 percent!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    But what about when there is no sunshine

You make your own. :smile:

I don't feel safe running at night. Unless maybe at a well lit track. I have no sympathy for people who get mugged or knocked in the head running in dark desolate areas, especially in cities. You should know better.

I like to do intervals. I don't own a stop watch, so generally I do that on the treadmill. Longer runs for me are best outdoors, but again, but between the weather and limited daylight, I could never be an outdoors only runner.
  • Taes_Hunt
    Taes_Hunt Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Could be your shoes too. Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes that you get from a specialty running store. They will make sure you have the right shoe for your gait.

Thats another thing... My feet hurt like crazy after about 30 mins of just walking.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You know, I ONLY used to run outside cause I lived next to a beautiful riverside trail that goes on and on for hours.

Then I moved and because of the hot weather I started running on the treadmill. It was so boring in the beginning.
    Now I'm so used to running on it , because I watch shows while I'm at it.

BUT I DON'T KNOW!!! if i had a beautiful path and knew the area better I would probably try to run outside again. Or if I had a buddy to run with. But sadly, I don't anymore.

So if you can, I'd suggest running outside. But either way, it's running. I got a lot faster on the treadmill too, so if you're trying to work on your speed - it's good for that. To improve endurance, I find running outside better.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I am canadian so treadmill....i do not run in snow. summer is different, then I hit the parks and trails. i love to groove to my tunes on the treadmill, outside i do not like music because i want to be aware of my surroundings.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Removed quotes.
    Thanks! I don't currently have trail shoes - I just wear my regular running shoes when I hit the trails. Probably not a good plan for snow though.

If it's a fairly flat surface, with powdery snow, regular running shoes would work fine. If the snow get's really wet, it can compress and become a bit slippery. You just have to slow down, take smaller strides and take it all in.

What you didn't like 12,000 quotes in there? LOL.

Thanks for the advice! My trails are mostly flat - only about 3/4 of a mile section is hilly. Nicely paved bike trails but I doubt they'll ever be compressed since I don't think a lot of people use it in the winter. But I guess I'll find out! They were putting up cross country ski trail signs the other day...
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    street! it is much more interesting. I live in the bronx and find my neighborhood is lovely at dawn!
    plus i am afraid my cat will get hurt bu going on the tradmill while it is moving
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    But what about when there is no sunshine

You make your own. :smile:

I don't feel safe running at night. Unless maybe at a well lit track. I have no sympathy for people who get mugged or knocked in the head running in dark desolate areas, especially in cities. You should know better.

I like to do intervals. I don't own a stop watch, so generally I do that on the treadmill. Longer runs for me are best outdoors, but again, but between the weather and limited daylight, I could never be an outdoors only runner.

Hubby is REALLY not happy about me running in the woods, alone at night. Only about the last 10 minutes of my runs are in the dark, but he's unimpressed. Hey, I have my LED running tights on!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Removed quotes.
    Thanks! I don't currently have trail shoes - I just wear my regular running shoes when I hit the trails. Probably not a good plan for snow though.

If it's a fairly flat surface, with powdery snow, regular running shoes would work fine. If the snow get's really wet, it can compress and become a bit slippery. You just have to slow down, take smaller strides and take it all in.

What you didn't like 12,000 quotes in there? LOL.

Thanks for the advice! My trails are mostly flat - only about 3/4 of a mile section is hilly. Nicely paved bike trails but I doubt they'll ever be compressed since I don't think a lot of people use it in the winter. But I guess I'll find out! They were putting up cross country ski trail signs the other day...

Oh, don't run on the cross country ski trails. Those people spend hour upon hour grooming those trails. Walking and/or running on them destroys the trails for the skiers.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I do both, but it depends on what I'm doing.

For my long, slower runs, I definitely prefer outside, as I get too bored on a treadmill even with my iPod.

For my sprints/interval training sessions, I prefer the treadmill because I find that I can push myself to go harder and faster because a treadmill will force me to keep my speed up.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Get off the dreadmill and hit the pavement, trails or the track!

^^^ This !
  • m8605
    m8605 Posts: 102
    Options
    Neighborhood if the dogs are home. Treadmill if not and treadmill at night. We don't have street lamps and we have deer that tend to hang out at night, otherwise I would walk around the neighborhood at night.