Crazy Things Cashiers Have Done/Said

Options

Replies

• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I work in a newsagents and a "kid" wanted to purchase cigerettes so I asked for ID and he passes his national insurance card (in the UK you get them just before your 16) so I ask him to sign his name..

the name he signs isn't the one on the card so I don't serve him. The shop was opposite the police station and it was a £2000 fine for selling to anyone under age.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Right, a truly bizarre event today gave me an idea for a thread.

What is the craziest service you've ever received (good or bad)?

I'll start!

This afternoon I popped into our local health food store to get some flour for my Christmas cookies. I noticed the owner and her sister at the front when I entered and how they seemed to get a bit stiff at the sight of me but I didn't think much of it (this is a local store, by the way. Very small. Kind of quaint. But carries specialty items the big chains don't have).

As I was choosing my flour I could hear raised voices that got progressively louder with every moment. Next thing I know they're screaming at each other.

I waited in my flour aisle, quiet as a mouse, until the screaming died down then I hesitantly approached the counter to make my purchase.

The owner rang my items in without a word and when the transaction was complete she THREW my purchases across the counter at me! The bag hit her coffee cup and knocked it over so coffee went spilling everywhere, and then slammed into my chest (it's just flour but I like to be dramatic with my word choices). None of the coffee hit me but the purchases did! I backed up and ducked out of there quick let me tell you!

Craziness!

Tag! You're it!

This would be the last time I ever shopped there!!!!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I bought 2 mugs yesterday, quite cute with christmas wraps on and the cashier just threw them in the plastic bag. I said ''Can I just check those because I'm not paying for them if you just chipped them.'' she just looked at me, chewing her gum and continued chatting to the cashier next to her, she was jiggling about the whole time to like she was jonesing or something. I checked them paid and left quickly. Crappy crappy service.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I was once at a Friendly's Restaurant, known for their burgers and ice cream. After she rushed us through our meal the waitress came over with our slip. I told her we weren't done yet, that I wanted an ice-cream for dessert (who goes to Friendly's without getting ice-cream?). She told me she didn't have time to get me ice-cream, that I would have to go order it at the take-out window.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I used to run the customer service and layaway desks at Walmart. When I worked there we had a binder explicitly saying over and over that the customer was always right. On one particular day I was shocked to see management make me actually adhere to these guidelines and return the following items:

A used pregnancy test : :because it didn't work".. it read positive and well, I guess she just thought it was defective.
    A stereo system box: yes, the box had concrete blocks in it and I was told by the customer "it was like that when I bought it".
    A pack of diapers: used, with crap still in them because "they don't hold enough".
    A box of condoms: used, because "they busted"

It was a day that will always be remembered as the day I no longer wanted to ever work at Walmart.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have two:

When my husband and I first got together, we went to several stores, only to have the cashier ask if I was my husband's daughter :/ (he's 13 years older, but doesn't look it!)

There's only one store here locally that sells flaxseed meal. I've been buying it at that store for a few months now--had two of the cashiers ask me what in the heck was I doing with the flaxseed meal. Told them I was eating it, and you'd have thought I told them I was eating worms or something.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I worked retail in my teens. When I was 17 I worked at a place called Zayres(I am old, so they are all gone LOL) They promoted me from cashier to front desk and I was delighted. Until I realized this was an all new brand of crazies up here.

A woman in her 30s approaches the front desk with a red danskin dress.The dress is one of those 80s wrap around 'dance' dresses meant to be worn skin tight. The dress was size 3, the lady was not. She starts to explain to me the dress is defective because it split up the side when she was wearing it. Not only is she enraged it split, but MORTIFIED it happened in front of her friends.

Being so young, I am sure the snicker I am holding in is not helping any.

I didn't recogonize it as our inventory, so I asked her for tag and receipt. She muttered she didn't have one. I was pretty diligent and found a tag inside with the store name................KMART!!

I explained nicely that this was not our item, she bought it at Kmart.

Her response? :angry: "I KNOW that but it is not on the busline!!"

:noway: :laugh: :laugh:
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Lol slightly off topic but when I was a cashier I've had crazy customers... last year some lady tried to grab me through the drive-thru window when I told her that water cups are 10 cents.

Really!? Did you snap her arm off lol
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    "Would you like to donate $1 to the Stollery Children's Hospital fund"..Umm no, would you like to donate a dollar towards my bus fare?

Funny. The only dollars I donate are at Petco or Petsmart for homeless pets.

homeless pets>sick children. got it, thanks

Yeah. Because people are so mean and animals are innocent. I guess sick kids are in the category of the former. :huh:
  • MrsWonderland
    MrsWonderland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My husband and I shop at the same store everyday, they had hired a new girl. She might of been 20yrs old I would say, very nice girl, but everytime we went in together I would swear she was flirting with my husband who is in his mid 40s. I would always joke about it after we left, he would say there was no way. He is the best looking man I have ever seen, so even though she was so young why wouldnt she wanna flirt with him. He thinks hes the uglies man ever, by the way.

One day my husband, daughter and I went in, she never looked at us just him. She couldnt quit smiling at him. He asked for something he couldnt find and to our shock she jumped on the counter and slid over it looking sexy and trying to keep her eyes on him the whole time. When she came back she said, now dont tell on me. We got in the car and my daughter and I was rolling. Daughter said dad she likes you. And I asked if he could see it yet. He was still didnt believe it.

Then one day he had to go to the store alone, when he got home the look on his face was priceless.He said he wasnt ever going back there alone. I asked why and he told me I was right. She asked him out. He said "I told her Im happily married".

He was upset about it for along time, so I was the one that went to the store. She never spoke to me, but I would just smile at her. Soon we didnt see her there, dont know what happened to her, but now he can go without me again.

And no I dont get jelous, I just love seeing his expresions or even when he dont notice.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Go to get coffee, and hold my hand out for change. I was given my paper money, but not the change portion. After I asked, I was told, "it's not a lot so I just left it in the register."

I had this happen to me too and I they looked at me like I was crazy for wanting the coin change back too.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

And no I dont get jelous, I just love seeing his expresions or even when he dont notice.

WAHA!

But just to spin a new angle on this. There are plenty of married men who come into my place of business and I will tease and interact with them and NOT their wives. Why? Because their wives are fricking unfriendly and scary. >.< So I focus on the friendly face and usually that's the husband. Course I do the same if the opposite is true and the wife is friendly and the husband is scary. Basically I focus my attention on whoever returns that attention.

Just saying. You were right this time around but not every situation like this = a cashier who has a crush on your man.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    The one story that sticks to mind is I was at Wal mart and this lady who I've been through before, was noticing my daughter throwing a mild fit. She wanted the item I was purchasing for her, with her little hands held out.

I made a conversational comment about her being overly excited about her gift, and the Cashier said to me point blank "Then stop buying her stuff."

I just gawked at her as a flash of things came to mind. 1.) It's none of her business what I buy my children. 2.) I DON'T spoil my kids. and 3.) My kids wasn't being that much of a brat.

Her face immediate fell and she apologized over and over trying to explain how she's a "Bossy Aunt and didn't mean to over step her boundaries."

I feel sorry for her nieces and nephews. Needless to say, I avoid her check out lines like the plague now.

Another time (not a cashier, but an employee) said something to my husband about our kids holding a rubber ball. They weren't causing a distraction and were actually behaving themselves. My husband made some sort of response to her, and she walked off facing me (not realizing I was with them) and mouthed "@$$hole&quot;... Yeah, I told my husband and when he confronted her the look on her face was both priceless and hilarious. I also called the store manager and told him. I also told a friend of mine that works for the same store. Now that I really think about it, I haven't seen her working at Wal mart since.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Recently my mom and I went to TJ Maxx and we both bought Adidas gym bags. We checked out separately but she was right in front of me, same cashier. As he was ringing up my purchase he said "looks like you guys are going to start working out together" and my mom (so proud of our progress) chimes in and says "oh we already do! We've lost 50 lbs each!" And the guy looked us up and down. I told mom when we got to the car that I can't wait til we lose enough that we look like people who work out instead of people who are about to start or need to start asap.

Funny story from my early twenties when I worked at burger king. (I promise it's true) A guy came through drive-thru and ordered a chicken sandwich and a coke. Thats what he got. He soon came back through the line and told us he didn't get his fries. Teenage cashier told him he didn't order fries or pay for fries. He flipped out. Just snapped. Started rear-ending the car in front of him in the drive-thru lane. He called 911 on his cell phone to report he didn't get fries. Dispatch told him to stay put she was sending an officer (thank God!) He then proceeded to open his sandwich and smear the top bun with lettuce and mayonnaise all over the drive-thru window and threatened to come thru the window until he saw all the teenage boys working that had gathered around the window like a pack of wolves just hoping that he would, one kid brandishing a trash masher as a spear. He was still babbling about fries as the cops hauled him away. Poor guy just wanted fries. I've been there.

OMG THIS MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD!!! Especially the last two lines!
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Recently my mom and I went to TJ Maxx and we both bought Adidas gym bags. We checked out separately but she was right in front of me, same cashier. As he was ringing up my purchase he said "looks like you guys are going to start working out together" and my mom (so proud of our progress) chimes in and says "oh we already do! We've lost 50 lbs each!" And the guy looked us up and down. I told mom when we got to the car that I can't wait til we lose enough that we look like people who work out instead of people who are about to start or need to start asap.

Funny story from my early twenties when I worked at burger king. (I promise it's true) A guy came through drive-thru and ordered a chicken sandwich and a coke. Thats what he got. He soon came back through the line and told us he didn't get his fries. Teenage cashier told him he didn't order fries or pay for fries. He flipped out. Just snapped. Started rear-ending the car in front of him in the drive-thru lane. He called 911 on his cell phone to report he didn't get fries. Dispatch told him to stay put she was sending an officer (thank God!) He then proceeded to open his sandwich and smear the top bun with lettuce and mayonnaise all over the drive-thru window and threatened to come thru the window until he saw all the teenage boys working that had gathered around the window like a pack of wolves just hoping that he would, one kid brandishing a trash masher as a spear. He was still babbling about fries as the cops hauled him away. Poor guy just wanted fries. I've been there.

OMG!! OMG!! That is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I worked a DEB's some years ago. During Prom season, we disallow any drinks in the store due to having several racks of dresses that are several hundred dollars. Pricey - and we got dinged for every dress we had to send back due to accidental stains. One day this woman comes in with a full coffee cup and pitches a fit when wae ask her to leave it at the counter. She actually THREW IT at a dress, completely ruining it. She then stormed out.

The awesome thing was that a couple of weeks later, she came back in to pick up a dress that she had scoured the entire city for. We were the only place that had that dress in that particular style, size, and color. It had been out on the racks and it had been a busy day, so we weren't able to keep up with the drink policy as easily and several other customers had come in with drinks.

And some customer had accidently spilled a huge coffee stain on it.

We laughed for days about that.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Not that interesting but it made me laugh.

Now, I'm not vegetarian but I do like certain Quorn products. So I grab some and get to the till when she turns to me and says

"You do know there is no meat in this right"....

You don't say
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Go to get coffee, and hold my hand out for change. I was given my paper money, but not the change portion. After I asked, I was told, "it's not a lot so I just left it in the register."

The next week, same thing. Only this time she said she just rounded up.....87 went to the next dollar!

Funny thing is it's never been rounded down!

I like this woman or I would have to call the home office. Notice, I didn't say which restaurant.

Yeah that wouldn't have flown with me. Open the drawer and give me my change. You know all that extra is going into her pocket. That's just bull crap.

I was at Target and I gave the woman my items and she picked up one, looks at it and says: "Oh you did NOT seriously pick this out without a price tag?!" Which, BTW I didn't. She miraculously found it. No apologies, no nothing.

Then I was at the grocery store and when I go by myself I always try to find a check out that has a bagger because it's just easier for me. I don't have to worry about my purse, hurry up and stuff items in the bag, pay etc. etc. Well it always seems that when I get in line where there's a bagger they disappear on me! Any way, I'm helping the cashier out by bagging my stuff. She's going so fast, flinging the things down the conveyor belt at me and I'm trying to shove as many items as I can into my bags. She's done ringing me out turns around and looks at me and goes "Jeeze. Are there any more items you want to cram into that bag?" I wanted to say "B!tch, be happy I decided to bag my fckin' groceries, ok?!"
  • Nice
    Nice Posts: 84
    Options
    My husband and I ate at papa Gino's recently. It was during the day and we were the only customers. We walked in together and ordered together. My husband gave his card to pay and we sat down waiting for our food. We then realized we had forgot to order drinks. I took his card and went up to the same cashier and ordered the drinks. I gave her my husbands card, the same card we just ordered with. She looked at me and said "this is not your card, I need to see an ID." I replied with, I know it's not my card, it's my husbands and we just ordered with it, he's sitting right there. She wouldn't accept the card. My husband had to walk the whole 10 steps over to her and stand there while she rang it in even after we had just used it. It was just too funny comsidering we had just used the card, were the only customers, and ordered about one minute ago from the same person. We were sitting right near her too.
    We both just started laughing, we couldn't help it. He didn't even have to sign for it because the price was so low. It did provide us with entertainment though. I almost wanted to go up again and order something else with the card for fun.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I worked as a check-out clerk at a grocery store. One of my co-workers was notorious for squeezing loaves of bread as she scanned them. She said it gave her satisfaction (yeah, she was a bit mental). It always pissed people off, but no one ever complained to her face because she was sooo crusty, mean and nasty.

One day, an elderly lady, no more than 4'11" tall, came through her line, and once again, cranky clerk squeezed the old girl's loaf of bread. Well, the old girl just snapped - she opend the bag and started pelting the nasty clerk with every piece of misshapen bread in the bag whilst screaming foul names at nasty clerk.

It was the best day I ever had working there!