Crazy Things Cashiers Have Done/Said

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    At the local Wal*Mart (so many good stories there!) I was at the cash register. The cashier tells me the total is $48.17 so I hand her $53.20. She looks at me, then the register and back to me. "But it's $48.17..?" I said I knew that. She looks at me very puzzled as she slowly types in the $53.20 Wala! She seems totally amazed that the change is now $5.03

Apparently math is not required to work a register.

Ummm....why would you want $5.03 back? Just to get a $5 bill?

I can do math as I have worked in finance my entire adult life, but I would still be confused as to why you would want $5.03 back unless it was for the bill.

I must be dumb, too! Aaaaahh!!! :drinker:

She could have given the cashier $50.00 but she would have gotten a bunch of change back. To give her $53.00 she still would have gotten tons of change. BUT $53.20 guarantees she gets a bill and the minimum amount of change.

Three pennies is better then a handful of change. Just sayin
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Go to get coffee, and hold my hand out for change. I was given my paper money, but not the change portion. After I asked, I was told, "it's not a lot so I just left it in the register."

The next week, same thing. Only this time she said she just rounded up.....87 went to the next dollar!

Funny thing is it's never been rounded down!

I like this woman or I would have to call the home office. Notice, I didn't say which restaurant.

You just let her keep your money??

I had a cashier try to pull that on me ONCE. She said something similar, and I said Well open the drawer and give me my change. She then tried to say, I can't open the register now without ringing up another purchase. Bish do you think I'm stupid?? I then said, Call the manager up here then. Miraculously she was able to suddenly open the drawer and give me my change.

Forget calling the home office. Next time she tries to steal your money (because that is what she is doing) demand to speak to a manager right then and there.

most cashiers can't open their drawer without making a cash transaction, so if you are under the impression that all of them can then you may in fact be stupid.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i used to work as a cashier and the female cashier mate asked me if i wanted to have sex.... :\
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Go to get coffee, and hold my hand out for change. I was given my paper money, but not the change portion. After I asked, I was told, "it's not a lot so I just left it in the register."

The next week, same thing. Only this time she said she just rounded up.....87 went to the next dollar!

I like this woman or I would have to call the home office. Notice, I didn't say which restaurant.

You just let her keep your money??

I had a cashier try to pull that on me ONCE. She said something similar, and I said Well open the drawer and give me my change. She then tried to say, I can't open the register now without ringing up another purchase. Bish do you think I'm stupid?? I then said, Call the manager up here then. Miraculously she was able to suddenly open the drawer and give me my change.

Forget calling the home office. Next time she tries to steal your money (because that is what she is doing) demand to speak to a manager right then and there.

most cashiers can't open their drawer without making a cash transaction, so if you are under the impression that all of them can then you may in fact be stupid.

And lots of times the manager has a key or can enter a code that opens the register.
  • MrsWonderland
    MrsWonderland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    One time at aldi's there was a long line behind my husband and I, we bought a little more than usual, but no more than anyone else. A guy about half way in the middle of the line, he was loud about everything he was saying. He was belligerent and ignorant :huh: . So he started talking about us, saying it was that time of the month that we had to be using food stamp card :noway: . Now my husband knows how I feel about that and I know how hard my husband works for the money he gets. He had gotten a bonus from work. We had been through some hard times and usually dont have much. So in concideration for my husband I didnt go off on the guy:grumble :grumble: :explode: . I wanted to tell the guy how some people do deserve food stamps and he dont know what people go through in life, but instead I opened my husbands wallet and pulled out a nice little wad of money, I could of gave the cashier less but gave three $100dollar bills, and got alot of change back. Then I turned and glared at the big lug head :smokin: . His expression was priceless, he actually turned a shade of red :embarassed: and was quiet for the first time. The expression on everyone elses face seemed to be relief. My husband was the most relieved.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Sounds like she's skimming. Basically she's keeping your change for herself at the end of the day. It pads her pockets and depending on the store is relatively easy to do.

It came off, to me, more like she probably doesn't know how to count coin money back.
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    As a cashier, I had a chick throw a big fit over granola bars. I explained to her that the ones she purchased were not on sale and she told me they were. I didn't give her a discount and she rounded the corner in a huff. During my next customer's purchase, she came over, slid a hangtag toward me and left.

It was for a completely different brand and product.

We had a good laugh.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Sounds like she's skimming. Basically she's keeping your change for herself at the end of the day. It pads her pockets and depending on the store is relatively easy to do.

It came off, to me, more like she probably doesn't know how to count coin money back.

The register tells you how much change to give back. If somethign like this happens, ask them to press the "no Sale" button and they can usually open it unless management disabled that button in which case ask them to ring up something and cash it out, keep that transactions reciept and tell them to give it to their manager and explain to them why he had to do that. Bottom line, don't let anyone keep your money. I used to give back $1 instead of 95 cents etc (basically giving them more than I should be by a few pennies) but I NEVER kept even a single penny though most customers would just leave without it
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    a cashier at walmart opened my box of tampons so she could use the coupon ... poor thing
  • grawrrrr
    Options
    I was ringing out a customer's order and finishing by helping my courtesy clerk bag. I don't start other orders without ensuring my prior customers have been adequately helped. An antsy customer kept saying things like, "I only have a few things, I'll be right out of your hair!" and "As soon as I get scanned, I'll go." Etc etc. I finally realized they were being directed at me. I was very polite and told her that I'll assist her as soon as I was finished.

She stopped dead, glared at me and called me a googly eyed "c*nt."

I refused to serve her. I told her she can go to another line. She was like, "Uh, no, you will serve me." And I said, "No. I won't. Good bye."

She complained to my manager and I got in trouble.

*kitten* 'em. I'm glad I don't work there anymore!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    When I had my own shop I had prepackaged chocolates used mostly for gift baskets but also sold them alone. A women came in and bought a bag of chocolate covered pretzels and a few other items. The next day I had to go out of town so my husband held down the shop. When I get back he tells me this women came in trying to return the almost empty bag of chocolate covered pretzels and a used bar of soap. She complained the pretzels were bad and the she didn't like the natural soap with the oatmeal in it. She argued with my husband who said to her if they were so bad why did you eat almost the entire bag? If the soap was so bad how come its nearly gone? Did your entire family use it first? She put it in a zip lock bag and it had hair on it!! Gross!! My husband refused to give her a cash refund since she had paid with a CC and didn't even have her receipt so he gave her store credit. She then picks up a bottle of body lotion, shakes it up and squirts it out onto her hand but squeezed so hard it shot out all over the front of herself and the floor. My husband said you just bought that... now get out of my store! lol She ranted that she would tell everyone she knows about our horrible service and my husband said I don't care get your **** *kitten* out of here. lol She's just lucky it was my husband she had to deal with because I was the one who sold her those items that she insisted on getting after she told me what she wanted and needed in a bar of soap. And I've never heard of any store taking back a nearly empty bag of food and giving a refund let alone a used bar of soap! Do you eat a box of cookies you bought from the super market and return it with 3 left in the box and say they're bad and I want my money back? I think they would look at you as if you had 3 heads then say NO!

Ah, people would try to return fully eaten food all the time at the grocery store. Only thing we would take back totally empty was milk products....

This woman bought a whole salmon for a dinner party she was having. She came through my line, and I rang it up. Small chat about the salmon, and the party....
    Next day she comes back with the receipt and the tag from the paper wrapping saying she wanted to return the salmon because it was bad. I asked her where was the uneaten portion of the salmon?
    She said she didn't have it, that they ate it all at the party, but that she wanted a refund, since it was bad.
    Me, "If it was bad, why did you eat it?"
    Her, "It was a dinner party!"
    I go to ask the meat department.....knowing that I wasn't going to refund her the $ for salmon that they fully ate.....meat dept manager said "No" to her refund request.

I loved my cashier job. It was great while in high school and college.....liked my coworkers, and generally liked the customers. I was fast, and friendly, efficient (usually had the longest line), and helpful.....customers would recognize me out in 'public' and come up and say hi or start talking to me....(weird, since I wouldn't remember who they were unless it was at the store)....worked there for 9 years until I left my hometown for grad school. Just thought I'd toss this tidbit in in case anyone thought I hated the customers.....but after 9 years....there were a couple of very silly ones.....
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There is a certain local bank that is notorious for their poor treatment of customers. One time my husband went in to make a deposit for our business. It wasn't particularly large or different than any other daily deposits. The only thing different was that it was my husband making the deposit, he usually doesn't. The teller demanded to see his ID and his Social Security number in order to make the deposit. We had been banking there for over 25 years.

Thank the Patriot Act and KYC (know your customer) rules. Any transaction that is "out of the ordinary" is supposed to be questioned.

I think this only applies for withdrawals or gathering information. Not 100% sure.

Nope. Any transaction. It's for anti money laundering. I just took the test on it. (We have to pass every December in financial services if if we have no client-facing responsibility.)
  • grawrrrr
    Options
    I had a woman come through my line with a huge bouquet of flowers. She told me that she had already paid for the flowers and was only going to buy the balloon attached. I asked to see her receipt. She told me several times that she had already paid at the florist's desk and showed me the order form that they fill out over there. I politely reminded her that the florist doesn't have a cash register.

She realized she'd been caught and got red in the face. She pulled out her check book, wrote a check and since we had a check in our system from that account that has been declined before, I couldn't process the order. When I told her, she flipped out and told me she had like $6,000 in there. I told her that it had nothing to do with that and apologized. She made me run it again and told me that I was being incredibly rude. When it wouldn't go through again and I gave her a number to call, she went to customer care to complain.

She still didn't get her flowers!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    these stories have tears rolling down my face...nothing gets crazier than the fast food and walmart stories though.

My story is about Publix, a grocery store in the South that is pretty nice,I usually never have problems there.
    BUT I always ask for one or two brown bags to carry out my items though because if you dont tell them, they will LITERALLY bag every one or two items in its own annoying little plastic bag. When I ask them to do brown bag, they usually look at me like Im asking to have a baby on top of the cashier counter.

hello, Do I want to take home 30 little plastic bags, or carry 2 big brown bags ? ? If I have my own bags they have no problem understanding to put whatever they can fit into it but when it comes to their own brown paper bags.....doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out, but I guess sometimes it does....
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think one of my worst experiences was at a Tony Roma's in town (which has since closed) went there with my boyfriend at the time, and tried to order our food- I hate all cabbage products- and the menu stated the meal came with a side and cole slaw. I asked the waitress if I could please substitute the cole slaw for something else- thinking soup, salad, corn, veggies, whatever. She gets all huffy and said it's not a side it's a garnish. Now, having worked in catering and waitressed myself, I informed her, cole slaw is not a garnish, it's a side, and I don't care for it, so I'd like to have something else (I don't care if there's an extra charge, I figured there would be) so she keeps up the whole, it's a garnish, you can't substitute it for anything- I told her hm...garnish is like a sprig of parsley, piece of lettuce with an orange slice- she threatened me with "Do I have to get the manager out here?!" I said sure- of course, no manager showed up - and the seating hostess heard the whole exchange and brought over a customer comment card for me to fill out. When the waitress saw the card, she got a little panicked, and tried to TAKE it before I got to fill it out- saying "I think my last customer left that, I'll take that and get it out of your way for you." I said, "no, it's mine, and I'll be filling it out thank you." I loved that seating hostess- she rocked.

I've had several odd client experiences in the jobs I've worked, but I have to admit, Taunto - I would've been scared to work where you did, and not wanted to leave to go home! crazy threats!!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Used to be a cashier in Flint, MI (Murder capitol of America). Used to be THE worst neighborhood in Flint too. Got too many stories.

We used to have bullet proof glass however a bullet proof glass doesn't really cover all of the area. You still have some area on the top that is grilled with steel for ventilation and then the counter itself is also made of wood or whatever material so bullets can go through it. My buddy got shot and killed from somebody shooting him from the above grill. I got shot at from the counter area but the bullet missed me.

We used to have kickass system where you can just lock the door from pressing a button behind the counter and nobody can enter or leave. Once a customer came in when I was by myself behind the counter and the guy with me was in the cooler filling up the stock. I got crowded all of a sudden which usually means somebody would try to steal something. We have huge screens and cameras all over so I was checking it and of course, saw somebody pick up a beer and put it in coat. When his turn came in, got the beer to me to bag it, got the money, didn't gave him the beer or the change and told him to GTFO with the stolen beer before I called cops. He basically paid me $20 for a $1.25 busch

Another time, it was a slow night, again by myself behind counter. Guy came in with some bottle returns. Got his 12 pack of beer first, put it on the counter and asked me to count the bottles. Instincts told me that he will be stealing the beer. As soon as I turned for a second, he tried to take off. I was prepared and pressed the button to lock him inside. He pulled the gun, threatened to shoot me through the bullet proof glas (by this time, we have even tighter bullet proofing). I laughed. Pulled out the gun we keep at the store and told him to put the gun on the rotating glass to give me. Turns out it was a fake gun made of plastic... told him to get buck naked and give me his clothes before I get the cops. He didn't had no money but I'm sure somebody liked his raggidy clothes at goodwill.

Used to ge tthreatened everyday. Would get told that they'll get me when I left the store etc. Daily crap to deal with. That was the spot where I actually got the balls to tell a guy twice as big as me to go **** his mother. On the other hand, that job also taught me that you can solve pretty much every problem with a diplomacy. I used to talk to the most riled up customers and calm them down. I had customers who literally would want to shoot me or my co-workers but had to talk to them and calm them down and reason with them.

I learned a LOT about humans and how low we as species can get be and how little importance life can be when it comes to money, drugs and prostitution.

Got many more stories to share if you want :)

Dang. you live in the ghetto. and everyone else's story sounds like a little kid crying over spilt milk
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I have been hit on by a cashier at a Burger King drive-through once. "Hay gurl, can I getcho' number? Guuuuuuuuurrrrrrrl why wont you give me yo nuuuuuumberrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh!!!" :indifferent:

Ummm... Bc you work at Burger King? I mean the drive thru window is not really the best place to try to mac from.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    mg that has happened 2 me... ALSO this *****hhh hit on my baby dad while i was pregnant in drive thru RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!! i was 3 months pregnant.. :( if a girl sees a guy with a baby in the back and a girl next to him why would she hit on him she said i get off at 11.. WTF I WAS PREGNANT AND OUR DAUGHTER WAS IN THE BACK SEAT i had trust issues after that with him.... that still gets me mad...

I've been that guy, and unless he was flirting back, you have no beef with him whatsoever.

Nothing pisses me off more than an immature girl making crap up in her head to get pissed about. What control does HE have over what comes out of someone else's mouth?
  • grawrrrr
    Options

You folks that work in customer service have my undying admiration. You must have the patience of Job to put up with douchecanoes like that woman all day long.

And douchecano is now my favorite word!
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Back in early October, I stopped at our local Bath and Body Works shop to pick up more of their pumpkin hand soap. I walk in and the store is all transformed for the holidays already with no fall-theme products visible anywhere. Keep in mind, it's early October...

I ask the overly-friendly saleswoman if there's any pumpkin hand soap left and she gives me a blank stare for a few seconds and then says "Honey, why would you want pumpkin when the holiday scents are out?" My reply was that it's early October and still fall, and I'm not ready to smell like a candy cane or evergreen tree yet. I was nice in how I said it, not too snarky or full of attitude. Heaven forbid I want a product for the current season...

After that, her customer service and friendliness drastically decreased and she said "well, if we have any of those old products left, they're over there" and did a wave of her hand in a non-descript direction.

There were a still a few of the fall "old products" left, so I got my soap, paid and as I was walking out, the same saleslady was standing by the door and makes a comment to me again about not wanting a holiday product. I ignored her and walked out.

Guess I learned my lesson- buy fall products in July and holiday products in September or suffer the wrath of the Bath and Body Works saleswoman.
    lol this made me laugh, there are some people whotake thier jobs serious!!!