What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Be careful with that pan of water.

I spilled some room-temperature water while putting a pan in the oven for my bread crust. A tiny bit fell off the pan and hit the glass of the oven door. What a mess. My oven door has three panes of glass, so at least I was able to continue using the oven while I waited for the new glass to come in, and it took a LONG time. In fact, the stove store had to order one from a different source as the less expensive one didn't seem to arrive. Months later I got a call - they were wondering if I still wanted this glass. Uh... Yeah, I did many months ago. Sigh.

If you can find a baking stone at a yard sale or thrift shop, it's a good way to save a few bucks. I love mine. A friend found it at a yard sale for three bucks. I found a second one at a thrift shop. I didn't like it as well, but it works OK. Even now it still works even though it's cracked. I don't remember what cracked it, but I'm sure it was some liquid.

Oh yeah, I can imagine, thanks. I usually put the water pan (often one of my old, smallest "blue cornflower" corning wares) in at room temp, sitting on the lower shelf in a quarter-sheet pan, then start the oven for the baking pre-heat. This gets the steam going before I put in the loaf pan(s) on their half-sheet pan onto center shelf. I just leave the water pan there until stone cold afterwards.

Yeah, I was using shallow pans for maximum surface area. I usually pour some in from a kettle of boiling water so it's already steaming. This time I must have cheated, and it bit me. If I spilled boiling water on the hot glass, there wouldn't have been a problem.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    A preview of what I'll be cooking with this week....

gm7q8h7x3vfo.jpg

You are really the master of mushrooms! 🌟

I have to rely on storebought here.

I was back out in a different part of the forest yesterday for another outdoor activity. I took the "long way" home because I hadn't driven that way in a while, and it's nice. It's about 20 miles farther. I figured maybe I'd also scout for new places to find mushrooms. As I drove down the road, I saw a "tuft" of what looked like mushrooms smack in the middle of the gravel road. I was pretty sure I knew what it was. I slowed to a stop, walked back behind the truck, and harvested a clump of Fried Chicken Mushrooms. They're really not all that tasty, but I might clean 'em up. Really dirty from being in the MIDDLE of the road. Then less than a mile later I saw what I thought was a Sparassis on the side of the road. They grow on tree trunks, so I suppose it fell off someone else's truck or something. It was a little wet and mushy, but I can trim out the good parts. It's one of my very favorites! I also found a place to take a very short walk, and I found a few older Lobster Mushrooms. I just took two of them.

So yesterday my basket had the full-meal-deal: lobster, fried chicken, and cauliflower!
    hgq9f9byufu9.jpg
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

This is great, thank you.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    Sorry everyone, I got excited seeing bread! Didn’t mean to hijack 😊.

Personally, I think you’re fine. Bread photos were posted and sparked a lively (and educational) conversation. All good!

@ddsb1111 - adding to that - I've been around this thread for years, sometimes its calm, sometimes its lively.. I personally find the added community engagement interesting, thought provoking, friendly and welcome!! look forward to more of your posts!
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,925 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC That's a cool loaf of bread! Would love to see a slice of it if you're willing to share another photo :) Well I mean I'd love to eat a slice of it, but I'll settle for a photo hahaha
  • ddsb1111
    edited November 2023
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    @mjbnj0001 I went to Croatia and fell in love with their bread so started making the Dutch oven round loaves. I love it so much I’m adamant about learning it no matter what. It’s a work in progress and I need to get the internal texture right, but they’re edible. I’ve found my oven is a great proving box with just the light on, and laying either a cookie sheet or aluminum foil on the bottom wrack has helped reduce the dark bottom, but I’m still making a lot of tweaks. One day I’ll nail it and it will be so worth it.

@ddsb1111 - I've always found baking bread to be an artwork. I can't wait to see your end products! I do a flax bread. It's very dense. I grew up with a few kids whose families had bakeries and after school the aroma was divine.

Interested in what type of flours you use?

Here is my latest Rosemary -flax-almond loaf. f4j6jof9qj48.png

That looks fantastic. I’d love to try that combination of rosemary, almond, and flax. Hand me a glass of Posip (white wine) and a book and I’m set.

I just purchased a sourdough starter from Etsy that’s apparently 6 decades old, so I’m looking forward to making that next. I have both the King Arthur Baking Co All purpose flour and bread flour and got rid of the generic grocery store brand. I also use Caputo Chef’s flour for pizza, which I highly recommend.

I agree, it’s an art form I appreciate more and more. And all your senses get to enjoy it, that’s my favorite part. I can’t cook, but this I get!

@takinitalloff I second wanting to eat a slice. Doesn’t it look so appetizing with the herbs on top. Gorgeous.
  • ddsb1111
    edited November 2023
    Options

I sometimes use a "spurtle" (wooden stirrer) I got up in a Christmas market in Ottawa Canada a couple of years ago, not to "knead," per se, but pull and stretch the dough.

PS - You know, King Arthur Flours has classes, online and in-person. I hinted to my wife that sending me on a little trip for a Christmas present might benefit her, as well, LOL. Anyway, seems you've got the bug to master this craft, so I thought I'd suggest that. There may be other baking classes around you, too.

PPS - your 445 to 500F for 40 minutes offhand seems like too high, too much. I usually stick close to 400F and 40 minutes, with some variation based on the product I'm trying to produce.

@mjbnj0001 I never heard of a spurtle before. I’ve been using (gently) a wide palette knife for this exact reason. That would come in handy.

I looked into local bread baking classes and was surprised to see we don’t have any. But I’ll look into a master class or something online, which I might prefer until I get my bearings. At least before I convince my husband that I too need a trip to France or Italy or something to hone my craft 😆.

I’ll give the lower heat + longer bake a try next time. The recipe calls for 460 and that just scorched my dough. Cross your fingers for me.
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    @CarolGaGal No worries 💕 I’d love for you to start sharing some of your own meal photos if you’re up for it. Basic country or not, I’m sure you eat some delicious things too — food doesn’t need to be fancy to be good! Some of the best meals I’ve had were made by my dad’s side of the family who were as plain country as it gets, raising their own livestock and growing their own veggies and fruit 😊 We can all learn from each other. I hope you have a great day with a yummy meal or two!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    Went out for lunch with a girlfriend at a Korean cafe.
    27sjd8dp46ip.jpeg