What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Snack of dark chocolate, macadamia nuts, and Fuyu persimmon.
    c5ymcfseir3e.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Quick salad: romaine lettuce, plum tomatoes, radish, carrot, avocado with olive oil & apple cider vinegar.
    ig11gzuga505.jpg
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    cmsienk wrote: »
    Sunday late morning breakfast: medium boiled egg, avocado slices, slice of cheese and 2 mini pumpkin pecan muffins 0wnvzfnmee7w.jpg

Sometimes the simplest meals can be the most delicious. Have you ever tried your avocado with a squeeze of lemon and salt? I will spoon it that way right out of the skin. So good.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    @takinitalloff

Here ya go! I call it my super omega bread and I’m in love with anything rosemary. :)

v1msj54pbykw.jpeg

envisioning a clip of Homer Simpson ... "Mmm, Rosemary!"
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    I sometimes use a "spurtle" (wooden stirrer) I got up in a Christmas market in Ottawa Canada a couple of years ago, not to "knead," per se, but pull and stretch the dough.

PS - You know, King Arthur Flours has classes, online and in-person. I hinted to my wife that sending me on a little trip for a Christmas present might benefit her, as well, LOL. Anyway, seems you've got the bug to master this craft, so I thought I'd suggest that. There may be other baking classes around you, too.

PPS - your 445 to 500F for 40 minutes offhand seems like too high, too much. I usually stick close to 400F and 40 minutes, with some variation based on the product I'm trying to produce.

@mjbnj0001 I never heard of a spurtle before. I’ve been using (gently) a wide palette knife for this exact reason. That would come in handy.

I looked into local bread baking classes and was surprised to see we don’t have any. But I’ll look into a master class or something online, which I might prefer until I get my bearings. At least before I convince my husband that I too need a trip to France or Italy or something to hone my craft 😆.

I’ll give the lower heat + longer bake a try next time. The recipe calls for 460 and that just scorched my dough. Cross your fingers for me.

The spurtle I have looks like a wooden chair spindle. I"ll get a pic of it. No spoon or blade as some have. Apparently they're more often used traditionally for stirring long-cook oat groats. A palette knife is just as good. If it works, it works, LOL. Sometimes it's surprising our other halves need so much encouragement ... bread, wine, cheese, ... etc.: what's to resist, LOL? Maybe homemade pasta will put him over the top ... that's another product I'm getting ready to try with that Durum I have once I mill it.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    [d.

I agree, it’s an art form I appreciate more and more. And all your senses get to enjoy it, that’s my favorite part. I can’t cook, but this I get!

Bread is one of those products that is so much better home-prepared than commercial. Not just the aesthetics, but the ingredients and healthiness, too. This being a fitness website after all, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that too many commercial bakery products are pretty much just sugar foams (that is, air-puff carb structures) with additional weird ingredients that aren't too beneficial to ourselves or our gut biomes. I believe when folks say they have problems with bread, they are mistaking the stuff they are eating with actual bread. I wasn't always this motivated when I started baking, I just wanted good flavor/etc.; I won't get up on the soapbox any more here, though, LOL.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Grits with shrimp, squid, and scallops.

2dwxrxh1pay4.jpg

Being up North, I hadn't had this until I tried a version while down in Flagler Beach, FL. Became an instance convert.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Good lead. Thanks!
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 931 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    @acpgee - that looks delicious! I’ve never attempted a sous vide. I may have to try!

Today:
    🍹 a berry- vanilla-greens shake w/ pumpkin seeds

🍽️ asparagus and a very messy Shepard’s pie.
    •Inside: mix of ground beef, onions, herbs and diced offal, a hint of cream and tomatoes.
    •outside - mashed cauliflower crust with eggs and nutritional yeast.

viduq31paheg.jpeg
    ft88dn1f4fmi.jpeg
    4u8951opsq2x.jpeg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,650 Member
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC

I never used to want a sous vide set up because the old fashioned ones took up a lot of space to store. The modern generation of wands that clip into a pasta pot or bucket are as big as an immersion blender. Great to batch cook anything that is slow cooked from curries to duck confit. Great for dealing with cheap cuts of meat that can otherwise get tough.