What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,848 Member
    I got home from work at 19:50. This dinner takes 15 minutes to put together (add 10 minutes if you don't have leftover cooked rice). Avgolemono soup using leftover rice and chicken stock we had in the freezer. Boil chicken stock and some lemon juice, then temper in some eggs to thicken just prior to serving. Turkish salad where we stretched the last of the watermelon in the fridge with some cucumber.
    guq1w9xt2rsy.jpeg
  • acpgee
    We went to a soft launch at a taco joint. Nice to have a night off from cooking in a hurry now that I get home so late from the new job.
    ok73y6k1h9oy.jpeg

• acpgee
    I got home from work at 20:15 and salmon tartare took way too long to put together. As cooking was minimal I thought I could do this quickly but there is a ton of dicing.
    wrjk0lqalo13.jpeg
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 458 Member
    qt4ophhjzyza.jpeg
    Enchiladas from a local neighborhood joint.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,347 Member
    edited September 6
    Yum!

Bagged up 1 oz mixed nuts for snackage. A blended variety from a few different kinds, salted, unsalted, bakers walnuts, mixed... i want to pick up a few more before I bag more; brazil and pistachios.
    cs7hw3nehz40.jpg

Takes time to find and buy or make/batch prep food that helps us.... worth it!

And, i use, frequently change gloves to save my hands from excess washing. Inexpensive (and can find even cheaper online in larger amounts).
    o4j6r8ojjvmc.jpg
  • acpgee
    Since starting my new job where there is a culture of staying late in the office I have been struggling to cook during the week. Pre-pandemic the hubby was the weeknight cook and I just cooked weekends and for company. We might need to revert to that, but the disadvantage is that he is not very good cook.
    Once a month I batch cook with a girlfriend and we make a huge quantity chilli con carne, bolognese sauce, stew or braised chicken parts to portion and freeze for weeknights. I am on my own this weekend and batch cooking a lot meat sous vide to stick in the freezer. I have a bucket on the counter full of duck confit, eye of round roast beef, and lamb shanks cooking sous vide in their individual ziplock bags.
    Dinner last night was simple. Pappardelle puttanesca with a little samphire mixed in. We were meant to have a secondi of saltimbocca, but decided we were full enough.
    ve9vvahwv4ov.jpeg

• acpgee
    This weekend’s focaccia has a nice grain. I’m trying to give my rosemary plant a rest so the topping is sun dried tomatoes and truffle salt.
    296wi4d29efh.jpeg
  • janicemlove
    wz970ysmpzo5.jpeg
    Dinner! Splurged and bought fresh salmon.
  • Adventurista
    @janicemlove ~ lovely, looks delish. What is the dark greenish food to the left lower side?
  • acpgee
    Leftovers from last night's salade Nicoise for breakfast. I did need to supplement leftovers with lettuce, tomato and potatoes.
    l92q399m94vv.jpeg
  • janicemlove
    @janicemlove ~ lovely, looks delish. What is the dark greenish food to the left lower side?

Seaweed snack from Costco! It’s so good! I eat it w so many things now.
  • janicemlove
    gfczjymlx318.jpeg
    My take on mushroom pot pie. So good!
  • Adventurista
    edited September 8

Seaweed snack from Costco! It’s so good! I eat it w so many things now.

@janicemlove ~ Thought it might be. I started eating for the nutrition of it, and regularly crumble it into soups, stews, salads and stirfries.
  • acpgee
    The chicken saltimbocca I was planning to make Friday night as a secondo. Added roast courgette and potato to make it a standalone meal. I think I could do this on the weeknight if the hubby does the mechanical step of halving a chicken breast along the perimeter and pounding the halves thin before I get home along with peeling potatoes. One chicken breast feeds two people.
    d4m15v4n7d3y.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Yum!

Bagged up 1 oz mixed nuts for snackage. A blended variety from a few different kinds, salted, unsalted, bakers walnuts, mixed... i want to pick up a few more before I bag more; brazil and pistachios.

Takes time to find and buy or make/batch prep food that helps us.... worth it!

And, i use, frequently change gloves to save my hands from excess washing. Inexpensive (and can find even cheaper online in larger amounts).

During the pandemic, I resorted to going online to nuts.com and itsdelish.com for nuts and fruit assortments (and herbs/spices). Considering restarting my ordering as I really dont find the assortment and quality at my local groceries to be as good. Especially when it comes to creating my own blends and mixes.

• mjbnj0001
    My take on mushroom pot pie. So good!

mushroom pot pie. sounds like a great idea.
  • mjbnj0001
    edited September 9
    Summer hangs on. Actually, it is much more pleastant grilling outside now than it was in the peak heat. Tonight ( Sunday) marinated chicken thighs, roast corn, foil pack ("Scout Pack") vegetables, in two types types, a Tuscan style yellow squash, peppers, onions for me, and a more Neopolitan Italian herbs zucchini for my wife, who doesn't care for squash. Moderate macro numbers.

rmp85d3c1yul.jpg

lneioa5oavtm.jpg

• 100_Rabbits
    100_Rabbits Posts: 98 Member
    Rice, roasted corn, shredded chicken breast, and pinto beans I cooked in homemade stock with a ham hock. The goop is an avocado, plain Greek yogurt, lime juice and garlic. And pickled jalapeños.
    pyeoocn0ia8d.jpg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited September 10
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    My new job is disconcertingly high pressure but I can’t fault lunch at the staff canteen.

My last two F/T positions were high-pressure (one, a Big4 Consultancy, the other, a now-legacy computer manufacturer). The rewards were high, but I later learned the costs were, too. Be careful. We should aim to make our one trip through life both rewarding and sustainable, to us, our loved ones and others. IMHO. In retirement, I'm having a pretty good time ... but not everyone I knew has made it this far.

@mjbnj0001 - well said. It’s a struggle for me too. Cheers 🥂 to your retirement!
  • acpgee
    I got home at 19:50 and managed to get dinner on the table in 20 minutes. This relied on having a lamb shank that cooked sous vide for 24 hours all day Sunday. I made a gravy on Sunday with liquid drained from the sous vide bag, some caramelized onion I had in the freezer and some sherry. The shank only needed browning for 15 minutes in the air fryer prior to serving. Baked potatoes were pricked with a fork, nuked for 5 minutes and then finished for 15 minutes in the air fryer to dry out the texture. In the meantime I made a salad of finely sliced fennel and apple. I had ranch dressing in the fridge and candied nuts in the store cupboard.
    lha6p9fnlat1.jpeg