Noob season at the gym already?

Options

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a single new person at my gym. Wait - nevermind I work out at home.
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    yeah at mine too. It's all collage kids and they just leave a mess. they leave weights all over the floor and never clean them up. I wanna walk up to them and say do you leave your parents house a mess like this and expect mommy to pick up after you when you are home. and in jan there will be a new resolution challenge going on and again the gym will be crazy for like a month till most drop out cause it is too much, reason I say it like that is cause I did the challenge last year and that's what happened about 1/2 dropped out a month into a 3 month challenge.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    :) Two years ago I joined the gym in November. I attended faithfully for six months before things conspired against me and I dropped out of... gym.

Now I workout at home! Which is just as fun and easier since I don't have to fight for space or equipment.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym regularly since September 2011. It's the second December while I've been going to the gym.
    I remember the crowds in January through about the middle of February, but this year, It's already packed a week before Xmas.

Has anyone noticed? What's going on?

we were all gym noobs once :p
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    yeah at mine too. It's all collage kids and they just leave a mess. they leave weights all over the floor and never clean them up. I wanna walk up to them and say do you leave your parents house a mess like this and expect mommy to pick up after you when you are home. and in jan there will be a new resolution challenge going on and again the gym will be crazy for like a month till most drop out cause it is too much, reason I say it like that is cause I did the challenge last year and that's what happened about 1/2 dropped out a month into a 3 month challenge.

I know right?! I can't stand collage kids! They're just so random and all over the place!
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    How rude. It's people like you *kitten* that make me hate going there.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

THANK you!!
  • sin485
    Options
    *PSSST*

Guess what? You all were NOOB's to the gym once too!! And you all probably stood around scratching your heads wondering what to do and where to start. Give these people some credit for going to the gym. Yes most of them will probably stop going after a few months but I'm sure there will be those who will continue on.

Cut them some slack. Yes, it's annoying when it's so crowded there and you have to wait for equipment but jeeze. That was YOU once.

"Actually I never was a Noob at the gym". I was born into fitness. My Dad is going to be a personal trainer in his retirement job starting next month!

you totally were LOL i think your in denial haha
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

the noobs with their headphones on doing 300 reps on the ab machine? or the noobs doing half squats with the wrong form and super low or super high weight??

or maybe i get to talk to some noob that has some attitude about the regular gym goers so they throw back any advice i give them back to their face? yeah, that'll be great.

or some chick that thinks i'm trying to hit on her, when i'll i'm trying to do is prevent her from injurying herself?

or some guy that thinks i'm trying to show off or trying to belittle him because i'm giving him advice or telling him to go with a lower weight??

i'll stick to completing my work outs in peace, thank you very much.

So you're going to sit there and complain about someone being new, and do nothing to help anyone out. Basically in other words you're bit***ng for the sake of bit***ng. Productive,
  • sin485
    Options
    You have been going to the gym for a little over 52 weeks and now it's time to pat yourself on the back... Every year, you get these same posts from people who think they are doing something special. You act like this is something hard. It's just going to the gym. You know that facility that is open to all paid members? You're not special at all.

I can't stand gym elitist.

THIS
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

the noobs with their headphones on doing 300 reps on the ab machine? or the noobs doing half squats with the wrong form and super low or super high weight??

or maybe i get to talk to some noob that has some attitude about the regular gym goers so they throw back any advice i give them back to their face? yeah, that'll be great.

or some chick that thinks i'm trying to hit on her, when i'll i'm trying to do is prevent her from injurying herself?

or some guy that thinks i'm trying to show off or trying to belittle him because i'm giving him advice or telling him to go with a lower weight??

So you're going to sit there and complain about someone being new, and do nothing to help anyone out. Basically in other words you're bit***ng for the sake of bit***ng. Productive,

go be mad.

i'm gonna go be awesome.
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I usually dread the first of the year with all the resolution people joining and crowding the gym. But I have started going at 5:30 in the morning cause my gym was starting to get too crowded now. A lot less people that early in the morning. I love it!!!! Can actually get a good workout now! :smile:
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Woop woop well said my man!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    it's wabbit season

DUCK SEASON!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

go be mad.

i'm gonna go be awesome.

Tough to be awesome when you're crying.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I usually dread the first of the year with all the resolution people joining and crowding the gym. But I have started going at 5:30 in the morning cause my gym was starting to get too crowded now. A lot less people that early in the morning. I love it!!!! Can actually get a good workout now! :smile:

I'm telling all the noob's who want a lot of help from the gym rats to start working out at 5:30am =)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the only one that can make you feel uncomfortable in the gym or the weights area is yourself.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people trying to work out who've never done it before suck!

Seriously, guys? Most of us were little lost souls the first time we stepped foot in a gym... slowly and surely we did our research by creeping on other people's workouts while doing our own, maybe did a little google searching. They pay their membership, they have every right to be there just as much as you do.

I'm all about being in the zone when I work out and yes, do get agitated when the gym is packed, but I go hop on a rower or something until the weight room is available. Who am I to be pissed that someone else is trying to better themselves too?
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Although I enjoy classes, I tend to use the cardio machines during the work week. But when the new year arrives, I am more inclined to take the classes. Not only because there may be no cardio machine available (and I hate to wait), but the classes themselves get more crowded and, thus, more fun. So, yay Noobs!

But the parking lot? HATE! But it's usually not the noobs I hate. It's the regulars with their HUMOUNGUS pick-up trucks taking up 3-4 parking stalls.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I know what's happening!!!

You know on the Discovery Channel, when allllllllllllllllllllllll the baby sea turtles come crawling on to the sand and waddling and flipping over each other to make it to safety.....?

Well millions of baby noobs are rolling in about this time of year. It's best to get a good seat, occasionally flip one back right side up and basically just keep your fingers crossed that as many of them make it as possible.

edited for spelling
This discussion has been closed.