Are you one of the 3%..?

Options

Replies

• cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    7/9 - I have high cholesterol, although declined statins. I do not get 5 servings of vegetables/fruit DAILY.

Marie
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No I am not...one of the reasons I'm here...I hope to be one of the 3% someday, though my doc is fairly convinced the my hypertension has more to do with heredity than anything. I would be pretty happy though to be 8/9
  • Nimadi486
    Nimadi486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo!!! 9/9

I was a vegetarian for 10 years, so eating enough veggies has never been a problem :)
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    7/9

ETA - British not American though.
  • chrissyhy
    Options
    8/9
  • randysbombshellgirl
    Options
    Wow better then I thought 8 out of 9!!!
  • _namaste_
    Options
    9 out of 9. Woot!
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Dang. Only 7/9 currently. I had been good about eating tons of veggies, but I fell off that wagon. Currently trying to climb onto the regular exercise wagon. I'm good on everything else though, and most likely always will be. My doctors always tell me how healthy I am.
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    6/9
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Well crap. I'm just a freakin' mess.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    "According to a new study, just 3% of Americans have optimal heart health. Even if you think you’re doing everything right, check out the list of nine heart-healthy items and see where you rank."

Nine criteria:
    – No high blood pressure

– No high cholesterol

– No diabetes

– Not overweight

– Not underweight

– Not obese

– Don’t smoke

– Do at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity or 75 minutes of vigorous physical activity a week

– Eat five or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day

How many on the list do you meet? Just curious.

http://www.blisstree.com/2012/12/20/live/optimal-heart-health-three-percent-americans/
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/12/20/few-americans-have-healthy-hearts/

9/9 but it might be 8/9 not sure, I don't know if I eat 5 or more servings of fruit and veggies a day, I guess it depends on the day.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would be in the 3% if that is 5 servings combined between fruits and vegetables. I don't think I get 5 of each.

The general recommendations are 2 servings of fruit (at the most bc of the sugar) and the rest in vegetables (so 3 of those minimum). One cup is a serving.
  • HyacintheAlcuin
    Options
    7/9 .... still working on the weight loss...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I only meet one of the criteria. But when I was in the hospital and diagnosed with T2, the hospital did all kinds of tests (including a sonogram of my heart) for another ailment, which they never DID identify. The day I was discharged, the doctor told me she had good news....except for the diabetes, I was one of the healthiest people she ever met. I had a healthy heart, lungs and liver. She said my cholesterol was slightly elevated but nothing to worry about. And that was a year before I started losing weight. I figure I am probably in better shape than I was then. I think I got my mom's genes...she lived to be 90 and would probably have lived longer if she hadn't developed Alzheimers....she had no other health problems.

^^^THIS! My mom smokes 2 packs a day, eats like crap, is on cholesterol meds, but has great BP and besides a herniated disc in her lower back and hypothyroidism, is as healthy as a horse. Dad quit drinking 14 years ago, quit smoking in 2005, had a triple bypass, an abdominal aortic aneurysm repair and hernia repair, has a new hernia and skin cancer and coronary artery disease (he quit smoking too late), but still walks 4 days per week X 2 miles and eats somewhat healthy, and he's falling apart. I know people who only drink socially, never smoked, do all the right things, and still have health problems.

I know the evidence is all there, but I've had young deaths in my family and longevity in my family. Those who passed young woulda done better on this test than the family members who have gone into their 80s with little illness, yet smoked like chimneys. So it really is a crapshoot lol

Congrats on your weight loss by the way!
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    6/9 for me.
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am now 9 out of 9.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    My BMI is still in the overweight category but I am going to make it to the other side!!!!!!!! Yep Yep!
  • WishfulShrinking331
    Options
    8/9 Pretty good, just gotta get my exercise in
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    7/9
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    7/9 i dont do the last 2