Why don't you squat?

Options

Replies

• Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Squats are my favorite, but i have to agree rarely have ever seen anyone squatting.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    try 10 pistol squats then get back to me bro
    sup?
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I do my squats, but I HATE them!!! :grumble:
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    Agree with MemphisKitten - I do 'em, but I dont like 'em.

1, a previous neck injury makes it pretty akward and uncomfortable holding a heavy bar there. Padding helps, but it still can get to hurting.

2, for whatever reason, I feel dizzy and light headed after every set of squats. I've tried being extremely concious of my breathing, I've tried watering up to make sure I'm not dehydrated, I've tried taking it slow..... nothing seems to help, I still end my sets dizzy and light-headed and wanting to lean on something.
  • Monticello
    Monticello Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wonder how many people with "bad knees" would have good knees if they strengthening their leg muscles by doing squats with proper form.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I love squats and do them all the time!
    But...yes, sadly...I hardly see anyone else actually squat in the power rack at my gym. Most of the men in the weight room all have skinny little chicken legs.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Don't have access to a squat rack.

Any way to do quasi squat at home?
  • squishy2981
    Options
    I do squats the regular way. I grew up doing regular squats for a couple reasons....my high school didn't have a smith machine and I started powerlifting in 7th grade and squats is performed at lifting competitions. Been lifting that way ever since then! I think people use the smith machine b/c nowadays more people lift alone and don't have the spotter behind them to catch them when they can't get the weight up. I think people would benefit more from real squats with good form!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Now that you mention it, the only guys I see using the squat rack are the personal trainers, who are, frankly, HOT!

Personally, I'm a squat addict. Rack, barbells, kettle bells, body weight -- they're all good!
  • junebug523
    Options
    I LURVE squats! Front and back, as looooow as I can go. I use the rack and full barbell and have progressed from 95 lbs to 135 lbs. It is SO satisfying, and so much more efficient than the millions of Jillian Michaels squats I used to do with Barbie weights. :happy:

I am actually addicted to them. Squats MUST be somewhere in my regular routine or I start feeling sad.

I don't often see others at the gym squatting with the bar. So it's usually all mine. :happy:
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Wonder how many people with "bad knees" would have good knees if they strengthening their leg muscles by doing squats with proper form.

I'm actually wondering the same. As long as you do them intelligently (good form) and safely (properly set up equipment i.e. rack).

I squat and squat heavy and some variations as well. It's such a core exercise that I couldn't imagine not doing it.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Actually I don't. I have neurological disorder that makes motor skills difficult. Any time I've tried an actual weighed squat I've hurt my back BC I'm too weak and not coordinated enough to do it right without the specific foucus of trainer. I do body weigh squats but no the real kind
    I think if I were to increase my upper body strength it would help. I have twiggy arms. But you can really hurt yourself with the wrong form.
  • TheLakeBeast
    Options
    SQUAT TILL YOU PUKE BOYYYYY.....315 for 20... *kitten* to grass depth... but numbers are just numbers right?
  • TheLakeBeast
    Options
    IF THE BAR AINT BENDING.... YOUR JUST PRETENDING
  • Songmartine
    Songmartine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    squats are popular at the gym I go to. We have 2 squat racks and they are almost always taken. I do em at least once a week. I love legs day but they always take so long to re-cooperate! And I gotta be careful with timing so that I don't mess with my volleyball games by having sore muscles.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This.

You're assuming they can do squats in the first place with their bad knees.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Knee problems; I can squat (some) without weight but I don't put weight on squats... I DO however do leg press machines and have strengthened the knee considerably. When I first started I was 344 lbs and was having problems just walking up steps and getting out of a chair. Now, at 229, I can do pretty decent squat type exercises with the leg press machines and have systematically increased my weight... I can now, do weight in excess to what my original weight was so I know my knee is getting stronger. Perhaps one day but for now, I'll do what I can safely do.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Crooked knee and blood clots behind knee.I do squats then have to stay off leg for 2-3 days.Not worth it.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Because no one ever taught me.