Why don't you squat?

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I noticed at my gym I am the only one that does a true barbell squat not with a smith machine but an actual squat rack, and regular 45lb barbell. so what holds you back from squatting?

Because Zercher Squats are way more bad *kitten*!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tq1maZuQTgI

Zerchers are the ****, and will make you feel like you are going to die. I love a day of mixing back squats, front squats and Zerchers. :explode:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I noticed at my gym I am the only one that does a true barbell squat not with a smith machine but an actual squat rack, and regular 45lb barbell. so what holds you back from squatting?

Zerchers are the ****, and will make you feel like you are going to die. I love a day of mixing back squats, front squats and Zerchers. :explode:

I do Zercher Squats with a 55 lb sandbag at home. Not the same thing I know but it's a great workout.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    cause i'm a *****
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't have a spotter so I just prefer to use the Smith machine... and yes, I know you can put stops on a regular squat rack. Just my personal preference.
    this!
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wonder how many people with "bad knees" would have good knees if they strengthening their leg muscles by doing squats with proper form.

This. I have bad knees and everytime I end up in physical therapy, I am told that I SHOULD be doing squats to strengthen the muscles around my knees. I have seen the error of my ways. But right now I only work out at home, so I am just doing dumbbell squats. :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I drop it like it's hot 2-3 times a week. Barbell squats, *kitten* to grass baby!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I do Zercher Squats with a 55 lb sandbag at home. Not the same thing I know but it's a great workout.

What you are describing is very much like stone lifting, and as such, is awesome by default. :wink:
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    So it's you people that are always taking up my curl rack?! Sheesh learn to lift brah and stop taking up my space

ETA: Please don't believe this. I just did a session of SL 5x5 last week @ 340 for squats, so yes, I do squat. And I advise everybody to stop using the Smith machine for squats. It's bad for you
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

The fact that my gym doesn't have a squat rack or an Olympic bar.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I was just kidding with the knee thing. I actually have patellofemoral arthritis, and have been PAIN FREE since I started squatting.

But I hate squatting. I hate it so very much.
    I hate getting under the bar. I hate getting the bar back up, and it makes me annoyed just to think about it.
    Just wears me out mentally.

But, I know it's pretty much the most important exercise. So.
  • Raya1980
    Options
    I'd rather work on power, not strength. I feel my legs are getting stronger that way and not bulkier.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'd rather work on power, not strength. I feel my legs are getting stronger that way and not bulkier.

I'm with you. I'd rather work on velocity, not speed.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Craptastic knees that cast off cartilage in favor of bone on bone fun filled days.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Because I get sick of hearing that I shouldn't bother with squats since I can't go A2G and I don't do them with weights.

I did spend 15 minutes in a squat while playing with a lonely cat.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... kettlebell goblet squats! :D
  • xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't do them because I'm doing it wrong and get pain in my back. Can't find a way in which it doesn't hurt, no matter what I do and how much I looked it up on the internet.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've noticed I'm the only one at my gym who does c*ck pushups

All I see in this thread are a lot of excuses
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    We squat our *kitten* off at my gym!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I see people squatting at our gym all the time. Always a line for the rack.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Okay. So... power = strong. Strength = bulky. power =/= strength.

I think I got it.