Why don't you squat?

Options

Replies

• Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wonder how many people with "bad knees" would have good knees if they strengthening their leg muscles by doing squats with proper form.

^^THIS^^

My knees have actually gotten better from doing squats.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Okay. So... power = strong. Strength = bulky. power =/= strength.

I think I got it.
    Think you got it wrong, bulk doesn't necessarily mean strength, I mean it [someone's mass] could be a general indicator but there are people smaller/my size that can lift weights I'm nowhere near lifting.

fsbs_zpsba9a3ecd.jpg
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    My knees hurt like hell when I'd walk up steps, do lunges, etc when I got started. I swear squats helped (and so did losing some weight!). I don't have knee pain EVER now (and I thought I was gonna need knee surgery some of those days due to the pain!).

I just squatted 170# today....*happy dancing*....

And Zercher squats are the *kitten*! Talk about getting a darn good core workout (I feel it more during this style than front or back squats...though box squats really bring it out too).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I think I got it.
    Think you got it wrong, bulk doesn't necessarily mean strength, I mean it [someone's mass] could be a general indicator but there are people smaller/my size that can lift weights I'm nowhere near lifting.

fsbs_zpsba9a3ecd.jpg

Strong mofo, but also light weight so, Allegedly used supplements that were legal at the time and not now though. =)

Also ate a lot of CARBZ.
  • kjanoudi
    Options
    I don't want to wreck my knees.

same
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Well, it's bench press day.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I do squat, but not conventional back squats. I prefer front squats. They feel more natural for my body and it's easier to keep my balance through the movement.

When working my legs, I do both. I'll do my heavy sets...3 set, 5 reps of regular squats, then 3 sets / 10 reps of front squats
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I was going to say something like "I squat once a day, and it helps me loose a lot of weight." But then I saw everyone being serious, so I decided not to share.

:ohwell:
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Wonder how many people with "bad knees" would have good knees if they strengthening their leg muscles by doing squats with proper form.

^^THIS^^

My knees have actually gotten better from doing squats.

This needs a caveat. This depends entirely on the reason you have bad knees. Squats will do wonders for surrounding musculature, and can help immensely if laxity is the source of knee instability and pain for example. They can't do anything to regenerate lost cartilage though. When that's gone, it's gone. That's when you and your doc start deciding what sort of knee replacement you need, and when.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    same
    not-sure-if-serious-or-trolling.jpg
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I used to do the smith machine and I think I didn't do squats because I was a bit lazy and I was scared.
    I squat now though :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I squat with dumbbells or high reps without weights. I don't own a barbell.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    same
    not-sure-if-serious-or-trolling.jpg

If done incorrectly you can blow your knees out when squatting. Why do you think form is so important when doing any sort of exercise that involves bending at the knee? And I specifically said EXERCISE so please don't come back and say "Oh OHHHH! I blew my knee out tying my shoe" or some lame *kitten* crap like that to prove a non-existant point.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If done incorrectly you can blow your knees out when squatting. Why do you think form is so important when doing any sort of exercise that involves bending at the knee? And I specifically said EXERCISE so please don't come back and say "Oh OHHHH! I blew my knee out tying my shoe" or some lame *kitten* crap like that to prove a non-existant point.
    Because correctly absorbing the strain through your ankle and knee reduces the strain on your hips.

Two things - firstly, we're assuming here people will do the exercise correctly. I don't think people are going to tell you to do it wrong on purpose.

Secondly, why the *kitten* would I try and claim I blew out my knee tying my shoes?

U jelly brahette?
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    My gym has smith machines. *wimps!*
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This needs a caveat. This depends entirely on the reason you have bad knees. Squats will do wonders for surrounding musculature, and can help immensely if laxity is the source of knee instability and pain for example. They can't do anything to regenerate lost cartilage though. When that's gone, it's gone. That's when you and your doc start deciding what sort of knee replacement you need, and when.
    [/quote]
    Exactly!
    Please could people could be a little less free and judgemental with throwing "excuses" around as a reason for not doing squats?
    I worked so hard to come back from a major injury that left me with a completely wasted leg but there are things that mechanically I cannot (and should not) do. I've exceeded the prognosis of three surgeons but I cannot run outside, squat, lunge, ski or do contact sports.
    I have managed to play competive squash (knee brace), row for two hours, cycle for 80 miles, coach (not play) rugby etc etc.
    My time will come when I need a knee replacement - squats would just bring that forward.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I squat and occasionally have to wait for the one of the TWO squat racks at my gym. Would love to have your situation!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I think I got it.

I was trying to understand what the guy I quoted was saying. You left that part out.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I never have to wait for the rack, I front squat instead. Having to clean a weight heavy enough for squats is a little annoying when someone is using the rack for shoulder presses though.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I do squats with a barbell but I prefer the smith machine when I want to squat heavy. Otherwise I'd never get the weight up over my head and onto my shoulders.