Why don't you squat?

Options

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I started doing all the things people told me were bad for my knees....and my knees have never felt better.

People who are too lazy use this as an excuse. Outside of people with legitimate knee issues. So no one attack me for that. But, when I started running, my 300+ lb father said "that's bad for your knees" and I thought, "it'd be bad for YOUR knees, with all that weight."

He said similar when I told him I squat 135 the other night and leg pressed 300.

Pffft. SUUUURE.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've noticed I'm the only one at my gym who does c*ck pushups

All I see in this thread are a lot of excuses

You're at the wrong gym. People are lined up at the c*ck rack in my gym waiting to do c*ck pushups.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't do them because I'm doing it wrong and get pain in my back. Can't find a way in which it doesn't hurt, no matter what I do and how much I looked it up on the internet.
    At your age you shouldn't be getting pain at all unless you have another condition. If you can record yourself doing it on video, post it to the Bodybuilding group here on MFP and we can help you correct it. Do it with an unloaded bar to begin with until you have the form correct.

Main points are you need a tight arch in your back, not over-exaggerated, bar resting on the traps and not your neck, bend at the hip, knee AND ankle, chest up, pull your shoulder blades back and down toward the middle of your back.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    maybe youre hogging the squat rack - is there only one? Its a possibility.

or maybe they go at another time.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    We squat our *kitten* off at my gym!

Case in point. Another instance of prolapsed rectum from squats.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    fear of pooping
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    WTF I want to be at your gym. I'm stuck on the Smith machine 90% of the time because the squat rack's always taken by some big beefy dude who judges me for even being in the weights section.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    because there is no squat rack at planet fitness :(

thats really not an excuse though, i should do them in some form, either on the smith machine or *gasp* with dumbells.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    WTF I want to be at your gym. I'm stuck on the Smith machine 90% of the time because the squat rack's always taken by some big beefy dude who judges me for even being in the weights section.

Push the lunk alarm. If they don't have one, bring your own
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    The fact that my gym doesn't have a squat rack or an Olympic bar.

What kind of gym doesn't have an Olympic Bar? like, fer seriously.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I noticed at my gym I am the only one that does a true barbell squat not with a smith machine but an actual squat rack, and regular 45lb barbell. so what holds you back from squatting?

Because Zercher Squats are way more bad *kitten*!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tq1maZuQTgI

whoa! this made me feel all warm and happy...guess who is trying these this weekend?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What stops me squatting was a car driver who looked straight at me on my motorbike and drove into my knee.
    Removing a bumper ("fender") from a car is better done with the appropriate tools rather than your knee!

Lost my PCL and lateral cartilage. Squats not good for me any more...
    :grumble:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Zercher squats are fun, but wreck my elbows.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Zercher squats are fun, but wreck my elbows.
    I was about to say the inside elbow was not designed to hold any great amount of weight, and with tendons and blood vessels running so close to the surface there, it doesn't strike me as a great idea.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I do. I have an Olympic bar and squat rack in my garage.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I noticed at my gym I am the only one that does a true barbell squat not with a smith machine but an actual squat rack, and regular 45lb barbell. so what holds you back from squatting?

Because Zercher Squats are way more bad *kitten*!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tq1maZuQTgI

whoa! this made me feel all warm and happy...guess who is trying these this weekend?

good luck ... only way to be bad *kitten* is to do them with the bar starting on the floor like in the video ;-) If you use a rack then its not as bad *kitten*!!... true story !!!!!!!!
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    A lot of men seem to love to workout chest/abs/biceps as if that's all the ladies like looking at!
    You're a wizard Heidi.

Yeah...but look at that profile pic. She's a Geeks Dream Wizard :love:
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Okay. So... power = strong. Strength = bulky. power =/= strength.

I think I got it.
    Think you got it wrong, bulk doesn't necessarily mean strength, I mean it [someone's mass] could be a general indicator but there are people smaller/my size that can lift weights I'm nowhere near lifting.
  • Julescg26
    Julescg26 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I did legs yesterday, squatted 135 lbs in the squat rack :-) I hurt massively today!