Do you wear your wedding band/engagement ring at the gym?

Options

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I wear mine, but there was a sign up for a few weeks looking for a woman's lost ring that was vintage and had like 6 carats of diamonds in it. . . . Might make sure yours is insured, with a current appraisal.

Edit: Fixed a typo. It's late. :-P
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Been happily married for 17 years. I don't wear my ring at the gym, playing sports, or on the job due to the type of work I do. My wife understands because we talked about it long ago. The last thing you want is to get injured and have to have that thing cut off, or have it caught on a piece of equipment and get your finger "sleeved."
  • TrekkieChic
    TrekkieChic Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am a total jewellery fiend. On an average day I wear around 5cts, and I never leave the house wearing less than 3cts...

Except when I go to gym! At gym I only wear a diamond pendant (either my heirloom antique solitaire or my custom yellow and pink diamond pendant).

Initially I was very stubborn and refused to listen when my trainer told me to leave the diamonds at home. Then I damaged two diamonds on my favourite diamond band. Since then, my diamond rings stay at home!

Learn from my mistake - leave your rings at home!
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I leave mine at home. I don't want them to get damaged. I also have a fear of catching it on some equipment and losing my finger :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The only time I wore my engagement ring was when I forgot to take it off. I wouldn't leave it in the locker or car. I found that it hurt doing strength training and did get a little scratched on the times I did wear it. I did wear it running occasionally but never swimming.
    I also didn't wear my engagement ring to work because of my line of work.
    I do wear my wedding band to the gym, it's thinner and doesn't seem to bother me for the weights. I also wear it to work and now feel naked without it.
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't wear it at the gym, or while sleeping or showering or washing dishes!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I don't like to wear my wedding/engagement rings at the gym because if moisture collects under them I get a rash. So being sweaty is not good. BUT, since I am my age (49), it seems I am particularly interesting to the 50+ crowd of single gentlemen at my gym, who tend to work out at the same time of day as I. I have recently taken to wearing at least some sort of thin band on my left ring finger when at the gym because I am regularly hit upon if I don't. Mind you, this is the ONLY time anyone hits on me. It's pretty disconcerting and makes me uber uncomfortable! Strange phenomenon.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I do now, but it's going to need to be resized soon and then I won't be wearing it for about a week or so and I'm sure it will be too big to wear before I get around to having it resized.

A random female from another department at work that I don't know pointed out my wedding band was about to fall off.

Why was she looking at my ring finger anyway?
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start leaving mine at home or at least take it off when I lift weights. Last time I lifted weights with my rings on, it pinched my palm. My husband and I aren't weird about stuff like that though.
  • icepak24
    icepak24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's just a ring.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    i cant get mine off so i have to wear it.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I take it off in the gym, when I clean, shower, swim, play with the dog, do dishes...

I'd much rather not wear it for a little while than lose it
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I don't usually wear mine doing any sort of exercise... I don't want to lose it hiking, jogging, etc... my hands get very sweaty and its more likely to slip off. I also don't want to scratch it on weights. I'd rather not wear it for a couple hours than lose something so meaningful (and expensive).
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Neither of us wear wedding rings and/or bands ever. We also don't care that the other doesn't wear one. But I'm not sure how that really helps you. I think you need to determine if its important to you.

ETA: just realize you are engaged and not married. We've been together for 15 years so things like this just don't really concern us anymore. But I believe I did wear my ring at some point. I don't think it lasted long though, too much trouble. If I was to marry again I wouldn't even bother with the ring (or a wedding for that matter). But then it's easy to say since I've already done both already :)
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I leave mine at home. The engagement ring is a family ring and has a good-sized rock on it. No way I'm chancing damage or loss at the gym (and risk the wrath of my future MIL? God forbid! :laugh: ).

Wedding band is actually two bands (since the engagement ring is an odd shape, there's a pair of bands that will wrap around it to give it symmetry in the final ring). Once it goes on, I'm leaving the whole kit and caboodle at home, too. No way I'm chancing damage/loss to that puppy either.

I mainly lift at the gym with barbells, so there's also the whole comfort and grip issue as well. (No, I don't use gloves -- I don't like them interfering with my grip.)

My opinion is that people can flirt or hit on others all they want, but it takes two to tango. If your fiance's worried you're actually going to take someone up on their flirting/offer, then there's bigger issues at stake.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I wear mine, but I have weight lifting gloves that protect it.
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't wear mine at the gym....ever.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I always take it off. I don't want to risk losing my wedding ring because it slipped off my sweaty finger.
  • callmenam
    callmenam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't- the metal can get damaged, it is also top heavy and gets in the way. The man doesn't mind as long as it is safe when I am not wearing it so it doesn't even come to the gym with me as I don't like to leave it in the lockers.
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    I don't wear mine because I don't want to damage it. My husband is OK with it. He does the same thing.