Do you wear your wedding band/engagement ring at the gym?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    no
  • 69Greer
    Options
    I've been married to the most wonderful woman for 20 years. I never take my ring off. I'm not throwing rocks at anyone else if you choose to do so, but my take is that this is just a small way to affirm how important my relationship is. If it pinches, who cares, though I have not really had that experience. I wear a simple gold band and as for scratches I just think of them as a sign of being in a relationship that is comfortable and real. Just my take on it.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Sure. I don't go to the gym anymore, but I've never taken off my ring when lifting. I find gloves are enough.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Married 4 yrs, so wedding ring in my case -- mostly yes, sometimes no, but only because of comfort/discomfort (pushups / plank) - I get more worried about losing my ring as it almost happened once! I'm at the gym to work out, period - it's not a social thing even if I go to a gym class -- I will sometimes wear it to the gym and put it in a secure pocket in my wallet so I won't worry about losing it, and then put it back on after the workout.
    I don't think it has to mean anything more than as if you were taking it off to take a shower or to go to sleep.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    my fingers swell up during sport and exercise. so no- i also have periods i dont wear my wedding ring due to fluid retention in my fingers as well!
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    i'm a widow but i still wear my rings.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    When I mess with mine it really bothers my fingure. I normally put it on my thumb or switch hands so I dont lose it. If I am home, I will put it in it's box for a bit. My fiance doesnt care
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    Yes with training mits
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I have quite a chunky wedding ring (it's a man's actually, but it was the one I liked) so I tend not to wear it when I'm doing anything physical be it gym work, gardening, housework etc., my husband has never questioned me about why I don't wear it. His is in the bathroom cabinet because he can't wear it when he's at work because of the machinery he is in contact with, and I can't recall the last time he actually put it on.

It's only a ring and doesn't make either of you different people!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I prefer to lift without gloves, so my rings come off when I go to the gym...they pinch me otherwise. I mentioned to my husband that I wasn't wearing them when I went to the gym and he nodded like, "Well, yeah, duh, you shouldn't wear them at the gym anyway." I think if you're wanting to NOT wear them for legitimate reasons (that is, you're not trying to pick up someone at the gym on the side) but are feeling guilty about it, talk with your SO and make sure that everyone's cool with you not wearing them. Alleviate the guilt! :)
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm not married, so I accept that there's a possibility I'm being a hypocrite, but in my opinion, it's just a piece of jewelry. Taking it off for an hour doesn't make you less married.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's in the ashtray where it belongs.

But when I was married, I took it off because it was uncomfortable. I'm there to work out, not socialize, and most people recognize that fact.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I wear mine. It's tungsten carbide so the bars don't scratch it. It probably scratches the bars! It does keep a callous where my finger meets my hand on the palm side though.

JM
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves at the gym. So regardless of me wearing it or not, its not visible. The simple answer is that I don't wear my watch or my ring for fear of getting it damaged. I wear a nice watch and, although my ring didn't cost much, it means a lot to me.

I wouldn't want my wife wearing her engagement ring or wedding rings to the gym. It would just get in the way.
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't like the callouses it causes to wear my ring at the gym. I take off all jewelry and use gloves for strength training. Plus, I don't like for it to get scratched or damaged.

But, my marriage doesn't live in a ring.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out or playing a sport, I get hot and my hands swell, so the rings are extremely uncomfortable for that reason. Also, when I'm lifting weights, the rings pinch my hand. So I take my rings off any time I'm working out or playing a sport. My husband wouldn't care one way or another. He never wears his band, and while I wish he would, it would be potentially dangerous considering his job. I'd rather him have all of his fingers than wear his wedding band.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I take mine off. I see no need to wear them when weight lifting. I stay pretty busy doing what I am there to do and don't stop to make conversation or flirt so why does it matter? I am married and not looking for a date at the gym and I don't think I need a ring just to prove that.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    But, my marriage doesn't live in a ring.

yeah...this.
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't wear mine when I work out for a few reasons.
    1. My fingers swell and it makes wearing the ring uncomfortable
    2. I don't want to scratch the ring when I'm lifting
    3. I don't want to lose any of the diamonds (they've fallen out before!)

I also don't wear it when I'm sleeping because I would scratch the hubby in my sleep :blushing: :laugh: and he didn't like that so much. Or when I'm cleaning with harsh cleaners because I don't want to mess the ring up. :smile:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Nope. In fact the only time I wear my wedding and engagement ring right now is when I'm going out. I used to wear it to work every day but since I work at home there's really no need to.