Do you wear your wedding band/engagement ring at the gym?

Options

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    *IF* I ever get married, I plan on wearing my rings around my neck almost all the time. I've heard and seen way too many people in construction ruin rings or even worse ruin fingers when wedding/engagement rings get hung up on a piece of equipment or a ladder. Definitely wouldn't wear them for any lifting workouts for that reason too.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I always argue about this. He always wears his one favorite ring to the gym, and he politely gets on my case because I don't wear my engagement ring there. I've explained to him that I just feel uncomfortable doing it because I don't want it to slide off or for too much weigh to be on it when I'm doing strength training, but he just laughs and says I'm weird. I always think to myself to glance around and see if anyone else is wearing rings, but it always slips my mind.

So what's your opinion? Men and women!
    I'm not engaged or married, but I have worn enough rings in my life to say no way I would wear any ring to the gym.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My husband and I never ever take our rings off. If the rings can fall off, then they should be re-sized.

Wouldn't you have to take them off for that?
  • RavenLoonatic
    Options
    My husband and I never ever take our rings off. If the rings can fall off, then they should be re-sized.

Wouldn't you have to take them off for that?

Hurhurhur...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I take mine off at the gym. I don't want to be lifting next to some sweaty guy for 4 hours, then have that awkward moment were he looks at the ring, and he's all like. Oh your one of those. Seriously people its just then a really weird conversation in the shower or steam bath to relax.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Never wear my wedding ring (or any jewelry for that matter) to work out.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have a very simple wedding band only with no stone. It never comes off. Simple, simple.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I wear mine and I'm not engaged or married... BUT, it keeps the creeps away. :)

If you have a ring -- flaunt it -- so the world will know you are proud to be taken!
  • coastie_wife07
    Options
    I wear only my wedding band. My husband hasn't allowed me to wear my engagment ring in years because it is too big and he is too lazy to get it resized.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I've been married 20 years and don't need a ring to be reminded. In fact it is in the box except for special events as I can't wear it at work either for hand hygiene reasons. It comes off for cleaning house or food prep for the same reason. I don't think it would be comfortable in the gym either. But maybe a plain band would be fine.
  • smfolena
    Options
    We actually have more than one set of wedding rings. If I am wearing my snug-fitting plain band, I keep it on. If it's my larger, more elaborate band, I take it off. It's not about displaying the band. I'm just comfortable working out with one, and physically unconfortable wearing the other when I work out.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    For husbands who feel you should wear a ring all the time and your answers are you don’t want to damage it. Why not get a cheap titanium ring off Amazon and put it on during your work out.
  • brittknight828
    Options
    I'm married, and I usually keep both of my rings on at the gym just because they don't bother me if I'm on the treadmill or elliptical. However, if I know I'll be doing weights, I do not wear them. That's not because they slip off, but rather when I'm gripping tightly and pulling weights, I feel an added pressure/tightness around my fingers.

Also, if you feel like your rings slip too much, I would recommend getting them resized. I thought my bands were fine originally, but ended up getting them re-sized 1/2 a size smaller because the jewelers instilled me with the fear that they could come off in the water during my honeymoon. I love the way they fit now and have never had a problem with them randomly coming off. :)
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't! Mine is very dainty and I fear that I will bang it up lifting weights! I also don't wear it out running as I am scared it will somehow get lost then I will have a huge area to try and look for it! I also don't wear it at home when doing a work out dvd, my financee seems to appreciate this as it was an expensive ring :)
  • MrsAzriel
    MrsAzriel Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My rings are small with very little stones. I leave it on for everything except martial arts. I'd leave it on then but they are not allowed. All jewelry must be off before stepping on the training floor.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a very simple wedding band only with no stone. It never comes off. Simple, simple.
    Same here. Hubby gave it to me for Christmas several years back & I never take it off. I wear it with my original wedding band & engagement ring during the day, take off all but the gold band at night, for workouts, yard work, etc.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    When I was still going to the gym I always wore mine and mine is pretty bulky. But I went to a gym with more creeps than you could imagine so it was a MUST! I think some ladies that weren't even married wore rings just to scare the creeps away!
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Course, my husband is used to me not wearing my ring around the farm either...I've seen too many incidents of the ring getting caught in a cinch and the finger ripped off to risk it...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I never wear my ring doing anything athletic.

A) I can feel it move around, so at some point it would come off.

B) I can feel it "hook" on the handles of machines, handles of dumbells, and barbells

C) I don't want it hooking on jersey's or equipment durning games.

Wife 100% agrees.
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I never take my wedding band off but only because I'd lose it in 10 seconds it if it were anywhere other than my finger.