Do you wear your wedding band/engagement ring at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Kelogik
    Options
    I always take mine off for several reasons:

1. It's uncomfortable when I do strength training.
    2. Since I lost weight it sits quite loose and I'm scared to lose it when I run.
    3. I don't think the sweat is good for the medal, it will lead to discoloration.

... I'm still married and don't need a ring to show that.

I don't wear mine for the same reasons. It's not just my wedding set either, I don't wear any jewelry to the gym.
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If I run, swim or attend boot camp or muscle pump, I leave my rings at home. My fingers tend to swell (sometimes - especially while out on a run) and I don't want to have them get tight. Other times, they are loose and spin around my fingers a lot.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    My fiance and I always argue about this. He always wears his one favorite ring to the gym, and he politely gets on my case because I don't wear my engagement ring there. I've explained to him that I just feel uncomfortable doing it because I don't want it to slide off or for too much weigh to be on it when I'm doing strength training, but he just laughs and says I'm weird. I always think to myself to glance around and see if anyone else is wearing rings, but it always slips my mind.

So what's your opinion? Men and women!

What he is afraid of? That without your ring on you're going to suddenly be swept off your feet by a hot guy and say adios to marrying him? :laugh: As someone who's been married for 11.5 years, I can safely say that marital commitment does not in any way begin and end with a ring worn on the finger. My husband and I haven't worn rings in years, just for comfort's sake. Not a big deal.
  • dearly4ever
    dearly4ever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am married and I always wear my engagment ring and wedding bad wherever I go even to the gym. The only time I take it off is when I go to the jewelers to get it cleaned.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I wear mine when I workout but I take off all my jewelry when I swim because I'm afraid of the pool chemicals damaging them - especially the opals I wear; I worry about the natural stone. Honestly, if I were working out and didn't want to damage my ring with weights, I'd just put the ring on my necklace chain and wear it around my neck. I really don't like being without my rings.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I dont. When I do, I get a crease or a hive on my finger/palm after doing weights or circuit training. And I am always worried about dinging it up or losing it....
  • bdufrane
    bdufrane Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do...for the simple reason that I can't get it off!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I put my wedding band on the nightstand next to my sleeping wife every morning, and put it back on when I get home.
    Knurling on the weights is brutal on a ring.

Everyone at the gym knows I'm married (my wife goes there too) and I don't hang out to chat up the chicks, so it doesn't really matter.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i only put it on for family get togethers when my wife complains...........I never wore jewelry in my life, a silly little thing like a wedding isn't going to change that.

and if i wore it to the gym it would likely get destroyed, and/or tear my finger off
  • MistressTabitha
    MistressTabitha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't usually wear my wedding ring when I work out, as my hands swell a lot. The fear of losing my ring or damaging it.. would play into my thoughts if I didn't always swell when I work out. So for now, at least, I don't wear it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    No. My e-ring cost several thousand dollars and doesn't need to get dinged up, sweated on, and bent by bars. I would probably get hit on less if I wore it but I'm a big girl and can turn down advances just fine.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I do not wear mine at the gym, it tends to pinch when weight training and if running my fingers tend to swell a bit making it more difficult to get off. Just easier to not wear it.

Same here. I don't wear it either for these reasons.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I take my engagement ring off when I'm working out because my hands sweat and they swell so it's uncomfortable. My fiance doesn't care even a little bit because he knows why I take it off and he knows that I can't wait to put it back on :heart:
  • mhook113
    mhook113 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do, but I never take it off. ever. I can see maybe if I started losing weight and the ring became too big. I don't think it's a big deal. My ring is pretty jacked up.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I do...for the simple reason that I can't get it off!

Lol I have a hard time getting mine back on after the gym because my hands swell. Anymore, if I have so much as a single glass of wine my hands are poofy the next day and I can barely get it off to work out!
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    The ring is no problem for cardio, but it HAS to come off for pretty much any resistance training. Hopefully your fiance is having fun with you regarding this. If not, there is some insecurity going on there.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I leave mine at home. I get sweaty hands and I dont want sweat underneath as it has diamonds in it and I dont want to bend and scratch it when I do lifting. I dont think my OH minds / notices / cares... it doesnt mean anything, its not like your not married because your not wearing your ring!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I lift weights at home, but I do not wear any rings when I do, and he does. It's not comfortable to me to have a ring on, and I don't want it scratched up.
    At the dojo, we aren't supposed to wear any jewelry.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyday and every time :heart:
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I can't get mine off my fat fingers.