Anyone else hate eating out?

Options

Replies

• thethinnydiaries
    Options
    I'm pretty good at eating out
    I was waiting for it. So glad I didn't have to scroll down too far hahaha .
    I don't know why people don't realize phrasing it this way is inviting dirty comments cos whose mind DOESNT go there?

i know, haha. i have one of the dirtiest minds EVER and it wasn't until after i posted it that i realize what i had done. :laugh:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Most restaurant DO NOT have nutritional information. Please stop saying that.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    LOL at the title

but in all seriousness, if you stick with things that aren't fried, breaded, or sauced you can do pretty good.
    Grilled is a good option usually, and in some italian restaurants you can actually get whole wheat pasta now, just have to ask.
    Sure it's more work but we're worth it right? :flowerforyou:
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I like to eat out, but we (wife and I) limit ourselves to two dinners out a month. Now we go out for a cup of java now and then or to a cool, vibey place to listent to music and chat...difficult to eat healthy at most restaurants here...but we have a few that will cook to our spec.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Lol I think they mean most CHAIN restaurants, which I'm guessing is part of the reason they don't love going out in the first place!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    nope, I'm a fan
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    It's on my to do list....
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

ahhhhh....but so many do:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/business/24menu.html?_r=0
  • KrD265
    KrD265 Posts: 22
    Options
    Maybe you're eating out at the wrong time of day. Change things up, you might find that you like it. Everybody's different.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat out frequently...sometimes 2 or 3 times a week....I have been having food allergy/sensitivities...maybe Celiac, and I feel much better when I go out to eat at my fave corner restaurant...I feel energized, so I keep going back....plus, I hate doing dishes and cleaning up, I'm lazy

plus, everyone that goes with me can pick whatever they want, instead of being stuck with whatever I make...
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i have impulse control issues I guess.

PwsgX.gif
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    i have impulse control issues I guess.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try to change your approach / mindset ...

- Plan ahead
    - Eat a light healthy snack beforehand so you are not as inclined to make a 'hangry' decision
    - Start with a non-creamy soup or salad
    - Order side dishes only and make up your own healthy entree
    - Focus on the social aspect, not the calories!
    - Don't be afraid to ask (politely) for exactly you want / don't want
    - Enjoy!

I use all of the above frequently and still stay within my calories. (It's usually the wine that causes trouble!)
    To me there is absolutely no point in going out if I'm going to be miserable about calories or making a dinner choice that I really don't want. I'd rather stay home!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As much as I love going out to dinner and such, I have a constant fear of not knowing the (almost) exact amount of calories in my food. I always find myself eating barely anything throughout the day if I know that I'm going out, or exercising way more than I usually do. I know that's bad, but I can't really help it.

Anyone else hate eating out because of this?

I LOVE to eat out in restaurants. But then, I don't see why eating light the rest of the day and/or exercising more to counteract eating out is bad. It sounds like a solid plan to me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out too much, mostly because the food tastes like crap and I always wonder after why I did it. LOL
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i am the exact opposite. i love eating out. i love trying different restaurants.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    I don't eat out too much, mostly because the food tastes like crap and I always wonder after why I did it. LOL

well if you are eating out at TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, Applebees etc..i can understand.

but if you go to authentic thai, korean, indian, ethiopian etc.. places you will have a great meal.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

ahhhhh....but so many do:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/business/24menu.html?_r=0

who the hell wants to eat at chain restaurants?
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's not hard to estimate most "standard" meals... sauces and things can make it hard, but most restaurants have nutrition information either on their website or upon request. If I know it's going to be a big meal, I may save some extra cals for it, get in a bigger workout that day, or just say the hell with it.

If I'm not enjoying myself when I eat, what's the point? Mental health is just as important as physical health... I'm not going to drive myself crazy over analyzing every single calorie.

Additionally... it's 1 meal. If you are focused on long term steady progress (like you should be), 1 meal isn't going to make a difference.

^ this. I used to freak out over it all the time. I'm learning not to do that and It's been nice to just go out and have fun and enjoy myself. At the same time, I'm not over-eating and I take smaller portions and try to pick healthier choices when I go out. It's turned out to be great as portion control and over eating was my biggest reason for weight gain. :)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I had no problems losing weight while working on the road. I also had no problems gaining it! The choices aren't too hard though. They are choices after all.

Steak with veg and a salad. Dressing on the side, no butter on the veg, no finishing butter on the steak. Get the baked potato, butter on the side. Sauces are a totally different matter. You can get them on the side too at just about any place.