Why Don't Men Change their CLothes????

Options

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I am here to blow your mind.

I am a woman.

I wear the same pants all week. Yes. ALL WEEK. I wash em if they start stinking but generally they don't because I'm a pretty clean person (shower daily, don't sweat, all that good stuff).

Judge me if you want but it keeps my laundry bill down and I have a 'uniform' at work anyway so why bother changing?

Same pants, but I change my underwear, socks and shirt everyday. Just to be hygienic.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're spending all his money and he can't afford enough new ones for a full work's week of variety?~

He has a huge closet full of clothes. He doesn't have to wear the same thing twice for a month or more.. But generally will pick up what is in front of him, and that is how he repeats. I do understand repeating jeans before they are washed. A lot of people wear jeans more than once before washing them, but its everything. Just wish he would stop, but I'm a nag if I bring it up and he gets pissed. Today I just gave him a look and he knew what that look was and got pissed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    I know men aren't expected to be as neat as women. Obviously there are exceptions, but my husband OMG wears the same clothes over and over and over again. He doesn't even wait a week, he might wear the same outfit to work three times in a week. He works in a very visible profession. He has plenty of clothes but is too lazy to look in his closet to pick anything else out. It is so disgusting because he is repeating clothes before I have a chance to wash them. It is also a bad reflection on me. I mean as a wife, if your husband is walking around looking crazy then people will think you don't take care of him. He gets mad every time I bring it up. When we go on vacation I have to pack all his clothes by the outfit, because if I don't he will wear the same thing everyday of our trip. Help, what can I do to get him to break this disgusting habit.
    Don't nag. One thing a man doesn't want to hear is his DW TELLING him how to be and what to do PERSONALLY about themselves.
    If he had 7 of the same exact clothing and wore them once each week, would you still nag him about it? Just wondering.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    I dunno, most of the men I know change their clothes regularly. 100% of the guys I sleep with change their clothes at least daily.
    Lol, till you marry them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I change my clothes regularly, but i work with guys who are older than me (one is married), that wear the same clothes at least twice a week. Now their hygiene is another story............ :sick:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think it's some kind of old-school BS to judge a man's wife by his appearance. Men are totally capable of dressing themselves and if people really think it's a woman's job to mollycoddle her husband, I don't respect their opinions anyway, so I don't care what they think.

Uhm yeah. I would think that he's just a slob, not I wonder what the hell his wife is doing that he's wearing dirty clothes.

Also, why are you packing his clothes? Is he not a grown man?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I occasionally wear the same pair of jeans two days in a row...but other clothes? No way.

Sounds like an overall hygiene problem to me.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I dunno, most of the men I know change their clothes regularly. 100% of the guys I sleep with change their clothes at least daily.

I change my cloths daily... how YOU doin?

Like your loin cloths? YOU ARE IN, SIR!
    48c043cdc38f8_38100b.jpg

Ooooooh... :love:

My husband wears clean clothes every day. Not all men wear dirty clothes to work.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I work in IT and my office is dark cold place with no outside light. My boss gets worried when I am clean shaved, showered (with soap) and have clean clothes on me
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I wear my tops, several times sometimes in between washing. Bottoms only ever once, but if my top is clean I think it's fine to wear again. I wash once or twice per day... So I'm clean. Saves money, energy and the environment. I don't see that as a bad thing at all. If his clothes are getting stinky though he could possibly be depressed if he's putting no effort in with his hygiene in general. If you think that's the case provably good to talk and listen not get mad. X
  • springhope99
    Options
    I usually wear jeans/slacks and sweaters a couple times before washing them - shirts, shorts, "yoga" pants, underwear...all get washed after each use. My son thinks everything needs washed after every use, even his hoodies. He'll throw them in the laundry basket after school. Drives me crazy.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're spending all his money and he can't afford enough new ones for a full work's week of variety?~

He has a huge closet full of clothes. He doesn't have to wear the same thing twice for a month or more.. But generally will pick up what is in front of him, and that is how he repeats. I do understand repeating jeans before they are washed. A lot of people wear jeans more than once before washing them, but its everything. Just wish he would stop, but I'm a nag if I bring it up and he gets pissed. Today I just gave him a look and he knew what that look was and got pissed.

Was just joking around about that. I definitely wear the same articles a few times before washing them. It tears up your clothes and I hate laundry. He probably has a few 'favourites' he likes and those are his mainstays. I have a few pieces I barely ever wear and they hang up indefinitely, but my favourites are always in rotation.

Either way, if you've already said it's an issue and he hasn't addressed it, he probably won't until he's ready or until someone else comments about it. Or unless you find another way to approach it, i.e. leap on his clothes the second he takes them off and throw them feverishly into the wash before he gets a chance to re-wear them (kidding again). Either way, it's up to him to decide how he will face the world and it really is a much smaller reflection on you and a much larger reflection on him - if it's as inappropriate as you perceive it to be. It will work out... part of being with someone is dealing with the little stuff and not taking it too personally if the other is not immediately receptive to your point of view. Best of luck.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Your husband =/= all men.

All they guys I've dated have been very into cleanliness and making sure their appearance is spot on.

I said in my post that men aren't expected to be neat and their are exceptions. Not saying every men takes it to the level of my husband, but being neat isn't an expectation of men and that is the problem. Teenage boys are usually pretty disgusting and some of them grow up to be disgusting men. Like my husband. He didn't really do this when we were dating, but now that we are married I guess he feels like he doesn't have to try. I think this even worse, because you are a reflection of your spouse and when your spouse is going to work with the same clothes on Friday that he had on Wednesday, it looks like his wife is on strike.

How would they know it wasn't washed between Wednesday and Friday? Do you think his coworkers are really paying that much attention and wondering why his wife doesn't take better care of him?

And unless his clothes are smelly and dirty and he's not changing his underwear, I think it's a small problem to have. If he's not putting his clothes in a hamper after wearing them and it bothers you so much, *and* he already gets annoyed when you mention it, why don't you just place his clothes in a hamper where it's probably more work for him to get them than going to his closet? Unless he pulls them out of the hamper, in which case, sounds like you'll have to sit down and have a talk with him, whether it annoys him or not.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I never wear the same shirt or pants twice. Goes right in the hamper, even if I just threw 'em on for two seconds. And then wash clothes in said hamper every Friday.

I also can't wear anything if I haven't ironed it first.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    He's clearly lost that lovin' feeling.
  • TyFit08
    Options

All they guys I've dated have been very into cleanliness and making sure their appearance is spot on.

I said in my post that men aren't expected to be neat and their are exceptions. Not saying every men takes it to the level of my husband, but being neat isn't an expectation of men and that is the problem. Teenage boys are usually pretty disgusting and some of them grow up to be disgusting men. Like my husband. He didn't really do this when we were dating, but now that we are married I guess he feels like he doesn't have to try. I think this even worse, because you are a reflection of your spouse and when your spouse is going to work with the same clothes on Friday that he had on Wednesday, it looks like his wife is on strike.

I think it's some kind of old-school BS to judge a man's wife by his appearance. Men are totally capable of dressing themselves and if people really think it's a woman's job to mollycoddle her husband, I don't respect their opinions anyway, so I don't care what they think.

Well I don't have to care what you think either. I was raised that you always take care of yourself and your family. My mother wouldn't dare have her children go outside in old dirty clothes while she was dressed to the nines. She always said we are a reflection of her. We were raised to take pride in how we look. We weren't rich by anyone standards, but we never looked broke. So its not about a woman's job, its about a family's responsibilities to one another. I would hope my husband would have a problem if I went out with him looking dirty or dingy, but we were raised differently and he doesn't value this as I do. Once I asked would his mother let him do this and she said yes and she did. I was floored because my mother would never let us wear the same outfit twice within a week.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I wear the same jeans , a few times a week some times .
    I really don't see a problem unless your husband is also wearing his same boxer ,Briefs a few times a week, ..That will be a good time to say WTF.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Was just joking around about that. I definitely wear the same articles a few times before washing them. It tears up your clothes and I hate laundry. He probably has a few 'favourites' he likes and those are his mainstays. I have a few pieces I barely ever wear and they hang up indefinitely, but my favourites are always in rotation.

Either way, if you've already said it's an issue and he hasn't addressed it, he probably won't until he's ready or until someone else comments about it. Or unless you find another way to approach it, i.e. leap on his clothes the second he takes them off and throw them feverishly into the wash before he gets a chance to re-wear them (kidding again). Either way, it's up to him to decide how he will face the world and it really is a much smaller reflection on you and a much larger reflection on him - if it's as inappropriate as you perceive it to be. It will work out... part of being with someone is dealing with the little stuff and not taking it too personally if the other is not immediately receptive to your point of view. Best of luck.

Thanks, I'm going to need luck. I just can't wash these clothes fast enough. I try biting my tongue but it is sooo hard
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options

It never occurred to me that people would judge me as a wife based on my husband's appearance. He is a well educated man who has done well in his profession; and is generally respected by myself and his peers as someone who is capable. Therefore, it would seem to me that his peers would expect him to be responsible for his own hygiene, as I did. In retrospect, he was pretty gross at times. I didn't say anything because he's a grown man. I figured he knew what he was doing. He came home one day and said the guys at work told him he smelled and they/he were wondering why I didn't let him know before he left for work. What in the Sam Hell? Why would I need to smell check a grown man? He said because his first wife did; and that their wives do. What? Really? I'm not doing that.