Why Don't Men Change their CLothes????

Options

Replies

• dayotte33
    dayotte33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how people have roasted you on this topic OP. Maybe it depends on the guy. I'll get roasted for sharing the following but I'm used to that on MFP. I often will "recycle" my clothes because I don't have a very nice washer or dryer. I can't buy new clothes as often as I would like and the CHEAP stuff I buy will not last if I'm washing them after every use. I have an office job so I'm expected to look presentable and I think for the most part I do that. But I could not care less if my clothes are pressed every day or if my shirt matches me shoes. That's just who I am. But if at my funeral my circle tells jokes about me wearing white socks with slacks or about wearing a shirt twice in the same week I'll be fine with that. Here's another shocker, I'm being healthy for ME. I'm not doing it with the hope someone checks me out at the beach some day. Good luck with your husband. I'm guessing he's a pretty good guy in other areas or you wouldn't have married him. :-)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    But if at my funeral my circle tells jokes about me wearing white socks with slacks or about wearing a shirt twice in the same week I'll be fine with that.

I hate to tell you this but ... of course you will, you'll be dead, dawg.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the nerd community. Often us older nerds have to remind the younger ones to change their clothes a few times a week. I get your pain.

Gamers are the worst. (Didn't Blizzard have an in-game campaign at one time encouraging their players to shower and change clothes occasionally?)

I don't know about that campaign but when WOTLK came out, me and pretty much all of my guild was on the computer for 20 hours a day and using pee bottles
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    My mother wouldn't dare have her children go outside in old dirty clothes while she was dressed to the nines. She always said we are a reflection of her. We were raised to take pride in how we look.

Well...duh! Moms and Dads are supposed to take care of children.
    OMG You married a child! I didn't understand that part of the story. I assumed you married a man!
    LOL My bad!

Carry on!

Unfortunately there are a lot of Man-Childs out there, they disguise themselves as men while you are dating. Then when you get married, the full man-child comes out and you are standing their like wtf
    Or that you may have been too goo goo eyed to see it. That happens you know.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Just break up
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My mother wouldn't dare have her children go outside in old dirty clothes while she was dressed to the nines. She always said we are a reflection of her. We were raised to take pride in how we look.

Well...duh! Moms and Dads are supposed to take care of children.
    OMG You married a child! I didn't understand that part of the story. I assumed you married a man!
    LOL My bad!

Carry on!

Unfortunately there are a lot of Man-Childs out there, they disguise themselves as men while you are dating. Then when you get married, the full man-child comes out and you are standing their like wtf
    Or that you may have been too goo goo eyed to see it. That happens you know.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

LOL True, blinded by love
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the nerd community. Often us older nerds have to remind the younger ones to change their clothes a few times a week. I get your pain.

Gamers are the worst. (Didn't Blizzard have an in-game campaign at one time encouraging their players to shower and change clothes occasionally?)

They did. And at every nerd convention, printed in the activities brochure, is a reminder to shower and wear deodorant. Without fail. I love my people, but damn are they embarrassing sometimes. *facepalm*
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Have you considered dousing his dirty clothes in water before he puts them back on? That's what I would do. Problem solved.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Your husband =/= all men.

All they guys I've dated have been very into cleanliness and making sure their appearance is spot on.

I said in my post that men aren't expected to be neat and their are exceptions. Not saying every men takes it to the level of my husband, but being neat isn't an expectation of men and that is the problem. Teenage boys are usually pretty disgusting and some of them grow up to be disgusting men. Like my husband. He didn't really do this when we were dating, but now that we are married I guess he feels like he doesn't have to try. I think this even worse, because you are a reflection of your spouse and when your spouse is going to work with the same clothes on Friday that he had on Wednesday, it looks like his wife is on strike.
    (1) You are correct that the expectations for men and women are different, but there is a *huge* difference between "neat" or as fashionable as women and basic hygiene. What you are describing is a hygiene problem.

(2) While you said that there are "exceptions" your title clearly suggests that this is a problem with most men. This is far from the case. Your husband is the exception, not men who change their clothes.

(3) How does his nasty appearance reflect on you? He is an adult, it is not your job to "take care of him," he is not a child, if he chooses to wear dirty clothes this means you married a slob, which I guess someone could judge you for, but it's not like your husband is your child.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Could he be depressed or stressed? Making decisions about what to wear takes mental energy that he may not have if he is depressed or under a lot of stress. That is one of my signs that I am getting depressed again. I don't bathe as often, wear clothes that aren't quite clean, or wear black. When I start doing things like that, I know I need to do something about my mood.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    who cares? It's just clothes.

He'd probably be more embarrased you were calling him a slob to a bunch of calorie counting strangers.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I work in an office, and rotate through about 15 dress shirts and five dress slacks. Once I've used up the shirts, I start over, ensuring I don't repeat anything more than once every three weeks.

I have similar shirts, but not identical shirts.

Now, when I get home, I do where the same t-shirt / jeans for a few days, but I only wear them for about 3 or 4 hours a day.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Could he be depressed or stressed? Making decisions about what to wear takes mental energy that he may not have if he is depressed or under a lot of stress. That is one of my signs that I am getting depressed again. I don't bathe as often, wear clothes that aren't quite clean, or wear black. When I start doing things like that, I know I need to do something about my mood.

Wouldn't you be depressed if your wife wrote about you being a slob on the interwebs?

When I first meet my husband he'd re-use his towel a few times before washing it. I have no problem with that EXCEPT he'd leave it to dry on the end of the bed (oh HELL NO!).

So I got him to throw his towel in the laundry basket after each use - it means I have to wash more towels, but there are no damp towels draped over the end of my bed.

Maybe if you make him put his dirty clothes into a laundry basket each night he wouldn't re-wear them?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have to care what you think either.
    So you put it on an internet forum? Awesome.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    maaaaaybe you should do his laundry nightly so he won't be a stinky boy...maybe his stinkiness is a reflection on your lack of domestication.
  • NotSoBigNeil
    NotSoBigNeil Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When I take off my boxers at night , I throw em at the wall. If they don't stick, they're good for another day.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Maybe he's lost his will to live, possibly as a result of being married to a nagger.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those that helped and were able to make a light of a frustrating issue. I really love the hiding clothes at night suggestion and I think I will do that. But as always with MFP, there are instances where the discussion takes an unnecessary turn beyond friendly comments and suggestions on a topic that shouldn't even be controversial.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Did you know that there are approximately 7500 different kinds of apples? So many apples.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Wouldn't you be depressed if your wife wrote about you being a slob on the interwebs?

When I first meet my husband he'd re-use his towel a few times before washing it. I have no problem with that EXCEPT he'd leave it to dry on the end of the bed (oh HELL NO!).

So I got him to throw his towel in the laundry basket after each use - it means I have to wash more towels, but there are no damp towels draped over the end of my bed.

Maybe if you make him put his dirty clothes into a laundry basket each night he wouldn't re-wear them?

I had never even imagined reusing a towel until I met my current BF. Now it's a two-towel attempt and the one time the "end of the bed" mistake was made, it was addressed and happens no more.

People are all nuts and have their own quirks. That's why I'd never even consider marrying someone I haven't lived with for years. Also, it's very nice to look around, see the life you've both built together, and think "Yeah, I could do this."