Women and Body Shaming

Options
ironanimal
ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
I will never understand why you do it to eachother. It is an awful behaviour perpetuated largely by the media and happily engaged in by a huge number of people. If you have ever said any variation of:

- “Men like meat. Bones are for dogs.”
- “Real women have curves.”
- “That girl looks manly.”

Or anything of the sort, please GTFO and never come back. What makes a woman a woman is her own determination of her gender and nothing more.

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    :heart: you both
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Someone wants to get laid.
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I totally agree but you have to see it from a chubby girl's point of view. We need quotes and positive affirmation like this because we deal with people be mean to us for no reason all the time. And truth of the matter is most guys dont want (or dont admit to wanting) the chubbier girl because they dont wanna be out in public with them because they will be made fun of (i know this cause ive been the peson getting made fun of) So yea body shaming is dumb on both account (girls hating on the fatties and fatties hating on skinny women) but it's just to make us feel better and wanted. My philosophy is noone should be skinny of fat. Be comfortable and if someone else doesnt look like you who gives a ****? Dont hate on them for that
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No more than usual - and there's only one girl for me :)
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Here is my motto:

It is MY body .. so I Rock it out !
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    It't done for exactly the reasons Pu stated. Those women are not happy with their bodies. When you are OK in your own skin then you develop a 'more power to them' attitude.
    The brutal truth is - women that say those things will never look like the source of their ridicule. Not without hard work and dedication. Whether its gaining weight, losing weight, becoming more fit. And I think they know that. It is a way to justify themselves and de-value something they are not. That way there is no need to put in that hard work.
  • suzii32
    Options
    Thanks!!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I would like to add to the STFU list comments like..."ewwww" and "gross".
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why you do it to eachother. It is an awful behaviour perpetuated largely by the media and happily engaged in by a huge number of people. If you have ever said any variation of:

Or anything of the sort, please GTFO and never come back. What makes a woman a woman is her own determination of her gender and nothing more.

:heart:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I totally agree but you have to see it from a chubby girl's point of view. We need quotes and positive affirmation like this because we deal with people be mean to us for no reason all the time. And truth of the matter is most guys dont want (or dont admit to wanting) the chubbier girl because they dont wanna be out in public with them because they will be made fun of (i know this cause ive been the peson getting made fun of) So yea body shaming is dumb on both account (girls hating on the fatties and fatties hating on skinny women) but it's just to make us feel better and wanted. My philosophy is noone should be skinny of fat. Be comfortable and if someone else doesnt look like you who gives a ****? Dont hate on them for that

*shrugs* I got proposed to at almost 300 pounds. You need to grow a thick skin and find a wonderful person for you.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options

I agree. Honestly I think most men promote the stereotypes and shaming between women. Take for example the man who's signifigant other is alittle insecure with herself... Is he reassuring her that he likes her looks, or is he turning his head to check out the girl that just walked by? Commenting during a movie about how attractive that actress is? Afraid to go out in public with her because she isn't society standard "hot"
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Like. :smile:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

All I gotta say is my dog loves his bone. And I love his bone too :P
  • CoderGal
    Options
    "eat a sandwich" was the last thing said to me by my previous best friend who has decided to stop talking to me since I lost weight because I looked 'sickly'. Ironically, it was over fb, and I was eating a sandwich at the time...topped with beef, tomato, lettuce, crunchy onion bits and bbq sauce *slurp*. I assure you, I couldn't have eaten another. Not after the sweet potato fries. Not to mention I ate a pack of oreos the day before (30).
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

I agree. Honestly I think most men promote the stereotypes and shaming between women. Take for example the man who's signifigant other is alittle insecure with herself... Is he reassuring her that he likes her looks, or is he turning his head to check out the girl that just walked by? Commenting during a movie about how attractive that actress is? Afraid to go out in public with her because she isn't society standard "hot"
    I totally disagree. Only you are responsible for your actions. If someone is insecure that is their problem. It is up to them to fix it. I have never let a man (or anyone) make me feel bad about myself. He can think what he wants about me but he can not force me to agree with him. And to focus those insecurities on another human being is sad. There is no excuse.
  • CoderGal
    Options

You guys have to stop dating douche bags. That'd fix everything :P I don't know what I can do to get away from the random strangers making comments however. I think the strangers are the worse. I remember waiting in a lineup with my friends gf (who I didn't know) and she was making fun of a larger girl wearing a lot of mascara and made a couple of weight related comments on how you can't cover up fat...What kind of horrible person do you have to be for that to run through your head?

And for the record, the girl seemed rather sweet...it wasn't one of those that persons a low life so I'm going to bash them situations.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

This^^
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options

You guys have to stop dating douche bags. That'd fix everything :P I don't know what I can do to get away from the random strangers making comments however. I think the strangers are the worse. I remember waiting in a lineup with my friends gf (who I didn't know) and she was making fun of a larger girl wearing a lot of mascara and made a couple of weight related comments on how you can't cover up fat...What kind of horrible person do you have to be for that to run through your head?

And for the record, the girl seemed rather sweet...it wasn't one of those that persons a low life so I'm going to bash them situations.

Thanks but I'm married, and he isn't a *kitten*. Whether you like it or not other people's actions do help shape who you are. You can either see it as empowering, or disabling but it still is going to have an effect on you no matter what.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

You see those comments because that's where you are at in life. I've been skinny, fat and muscular. I've gotten nasty comments no matter how I've looked. That's what the OP is getting at. No matter what we look like we should never bash on another body type to make ourselves feel good.