what do you hate about being "fat"

Options

Replies

• Cliffy94
    Cliffy94 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Awww thanks! I'm feeling all philosophical at this time of the year! Haha Awww bless ya. I have that problem too I'm only like 5'7ish!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Also apparently every fat woman is very tall (I'm 5'3"), with huge breasts (I'm a C cup) and has very long arms and wide shoulders.

Hell yes.

Aside from the 4" of fat and skin hanging off my upper arms, my upper body is about as good as it's going to get. I can't wear women's shirts that fit my arms without having the neckline show off most of my breasts. I bought a beautiful shirt and can't wear it without a d!ckey because the neckline hits my at my nipples. :angry: For casual shirts, I buy men's XL.

A thought about the vanity sizing on jeans - maybe it's because people are wearing them on their hips instead of at the natural waist?

EDIT: Lol, I can't say d!ckey properly without it getting starred out, but nipples are A-OK.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    NO wonder why girls have no confidence today, the clothes keep getting smaller and the sizes keep getting bigger on the tag I think it's because these stores want us to feel like fat *kitten* and we are all suppose to look like coked up supermodels. I recently just got into a 12 jeans damn it's no 2 but it feels great, f*** what people think.

Do you think there might be a chance that people keep getting fatter, instead?

I think the opposite is happening to sizes. I work in retail and some brands are making bigger sizes with smaller numbers. like a normal size 3 in juniors they'll label as a 1 a size 1 as a 0 etc. thats just some brands though. they want you to feel skinnier so you'll buy their brand of jeans.

Yeah, I think it depends a lot on where you live and shop. My clothes from a couple years ago all still fit me, except for the jeans and a suede miniskirt which is now too short and a little too tight. But everything else still goes on just fine. Yet if I try to buy those sizes now it's a nightmare.

A lot of it's the cuts (which depend on trends) and the fabrics (which seem to depend on the recession), though. Clothes made in cheaper synthetic fabrics - which is what's mostly available around here now - are always going to hang more poorly than well-made ones, even if you're only a couple pounds overweight. And the fashions that have taken over England for the last two years, which all seem to involve blousy things that cover up to the neck and bulge out at the waist, bulge in the wrong places. Tailored clothes fit me well enough, but they're hard to find unless I go to specialty stores that I can't afford.

A lot of it is people getting fatter, though. :)
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    NO wonder why girls have no confidence today, the clothes keep getting smaller and the sizes keep getting bigger on the tag I think it's because these stores want us to feel like fat *kitten* and we are all suppose to look like coked up supermodels. I recently just got into a 12 jeans damn it's no 2 but it feels great, f*** what people think.

Do you think there might be a chance that people keep getting fatter, instead?

I have to agree, I have been the same size for years and I always buy the same sizes in clothes that I always have. They fit like they used to.

When you look at old family pictures, or old movies, you dont see anybody fat..

It's true! I mean, I can only speak for myself and the clothing that I buy, but it doesn't seem to be made smaller than it has been made in the past.

I actually whipped out on of my modern size 10 (down from a 14-- 16 in some brands! Yay me!) dresses and one of my grandmother's vintage size 12 dresses. My dress has a bust measurement of about 37 inches and a waist measurement of about 30 inches. My grandma's dress has a bust measurement of 30 inches with a waist measurement of about 25 inches. My cousin wears a size 0 and she fits into my grandma's dress very nicely. So no, clothing sizes aren't getting smaller. They're getting bigger.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Everything that everyone has mentioned.

Also:

~ People buying me clothes and buying them five or six sizes larger than I actually wear, because they don't know what size I wear. Apparently once you get past a certain size (I'm currently in a UK 16 (US 12) btw, which seems to be the tipping point) everyone looks the same. Somewhat amusingly, my niece - who usually wears the same size as I do, although she likes her clothes baggy and I like mine tailored so I actually tend to wear a size smaller - is the worst culprit for this. Last year I was wearing a 14 (10) and she was buying me things in a 24 (20), "just in case you want to be comfy". The shoulders hung half way to my elbows. I'm not sure if she's just oblivious, or if it just makes her feel good to think that I'm that many sizes larger than her. *shrug*

~ Not feeling like a productive member of society. I always felt like I should be climbing mountains for charity or something, but my health has held me back.

~ Not being able to fight. I've always been interested in martial arts, swordfighting and the like, but the training is intense. Ditto for the military. While I'm past the phase where I really wanted to serve, I date a lot of ex-military guys and there's always that little bit of a pang when they talk about laying their lives on the line to help people. I dunno, I don't feel like I'm doing good unless I'm throwing myself into the breach, but at my current fitness level I'd be a liability. (This is something I need to bring up with my therapist, I know.)

~ Probably the worst thing, though, is not knowing myself. Not knowing my own mind. Specifically, not knowing if I do things because I want to, or out of default - if I wear the clothes I wear because that's my style or because it suits my body shape, if I date the types of guys I date because I'm genuinely attracted or because they're the ones who ask me out. I'm not saying that I settle for things that I don't like, more that I (maybe) settle for things that I *kind of* like because they're safe and sure and I haven't pushed myself to explore other options.

For example, I've always got asked out by a lot of urban, hip-hop-style guys (of all races) - basically guys whose tastes often run to girls with big tatas and a big booty, and who aren't afraid to let you know. So that's who I went out with. I had no idea until the last year or two that I also really liked creative emo guys with tattoos and eyeliner, because those guys never ask me out. Although they don't seem to mind if I make the first move. I don't think it's that emo guys don't like chubby girls and urban guys do, more that the creative sensitive artistic ones are less likely to make the first move, and because of my weight I rarely do either. So I missed out on a lot, and didn't even know what I was missing. If I meet a guy who's forward and shows interest in me (and I'm interested in him), then great. I like all sorts. But I'd like to be able to also meet guys, and if they're shy and don't make the first move, then I won't feel like I have to hold back.

I guess that's a really longwinded way of saying that I don't like the feeling that my fat self has to never ask for anything more than whatever's offered to me outright.
  • stevebp
    stevebp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How I can feel myself inside this big *kitten* body. Doesn't feel like me.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Not being able to eat and drink whatever I want.
  • PeaceFitSkinny
    Options
    Lack of confidence and clothes shopping.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I use to hate those shirts that were wider than they were long, and what was up with all the "fat shirts" having horizontal stripes! LOL:noway:
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    What I dislike most about carrying a lot of fat is:

People thinking I am CLUELESS about health and fitness just because I don't look the part
  • pmolermorgan
    Options
    Not being able to breath.
  • anonymouslove
    Options
    Lack of confidence, definitely.
    Not being able to wear skirt /shorts (without stocking) in public.
    Looking a million times wider in photos :((
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I don't like when I know someone is watching me eat. Even healthy foods, I feel like they'll judge me because I'm still fat, and why am I eating! I work at the front desk of a hotel for long shifts, and since we can't leave I bring my lunch and snacks with me, and when a pretty, skinny girl walks in when I'm eating I lose my appetite right there. :( Also, don't like that it takes so much more energy to run, running a few miles right now can suck, especially around TOM...I imagine being 30lbs lighter and just breezing through the trail.
  • mdyorston
    Options
    Plus size clothing is so ugly. It looks like something you would buy your grandma and then on the other end they have all this tight stuff that really isn't flattering. If you do happen to find something descent, it is way over priced. In a nutshell, smaller sizes=better looking clothing for cheaper prices and a lot more variety.

^^^this
  • KRaysor
    Options
    I hate:
    * the "Oh you have a pretty face.. if only you would take care of yourself. If you lost weight, you could be so pretty"
    *Even in heels, my size 12/14 jeans go 6" past that.
    *I'm feeling confident about myself, and oh! a mirror. it's all downhill.
    *the emotional struggle with not losing it right away, and feeling discouraged.
    *being the fat, funny friend.
    *never wanting to have my picture taken because the mirror and the camera are on 2 different levels.
    *fear of scales.
    *hating going clothes shopping.
    *people asking me when i'm due.
    and just in general, myself for letting it get this bad.
  • mdyorston
    Options
    I hate shopping in the plus section and the racks are too damn close together.....Like hello? I hate th feeling of my belly bouncing on my thighs if I happen to laugh while sitting and I hate taking pictures
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Whoever mentioned having material on the floor when trying on pants...yes! I wanted wind pants and couldn't find any that were short enough--I'm over 5'9", but only have a 30" inseam. Now that my waist is 38", I can find pants that fit me without being hemmed.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Well I don't like my belly. I want to wear a bikini.
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Lynn_is_happy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I hate catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror naked!
  • Emlou93
    Options
    I feel fine and confident and then I try on clothes in a change room and just want to cry. I'm sick of people saying I'm not fat to try and be nice - I'm doing something about it, it's not like I'm completely oblivious to my thunder thighs!