credit score is a deal breaker when dating? really??

Options
WinnerVictorious
WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
this has got to be an April Fools Day article posted months prematurely, right? because if not, this is INSANE.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/perfect-10-never-mind-ask-015017521.html

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I would be a little turned off by bad credit.

ETA: not necessarily a deal breaker though.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    What happened to falling in love with the person? If you are only looking for credit scores/money then you may be dating the "devil" as I will always believe that money is the root of all evil!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    What happened to falling in love with the person? If you are only looking for credit scores/money then you may be dating the "devil" as I will always believe that money is the root of all evil!

To me, a good credit score does not mean the person has a lot of money, just that they're responsible with it.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I can understand why someone would be leery of a bad credit score. Although a credit score is not an all knowing item, it can give good insight into how someone handles their money. Financial problems are the number one reason for divorce. Not saying it would be a deal breaker, because things happen, people are young and dumb at times, but it would be a piece of the puzzle IMO.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options

To me, a good credit score does not mean the person has a lot of money, just that they're responsible with it.

This.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    so let me see if i understand...

"Hey baby, what's your sign?"

has been replaced by...

"Hey baby, what's your credit score?"

:laugh:
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Your credit score tells how great you are at borrowing money. A zero credit score is a "bad" score but is it really?
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hey Winner....what's your credit score baby? :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've been told this: "I won't marry you because of your credit score." So yeah, really. Awesome, huh?
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Yes, I saw that in yesterday's New York Times.

For some people, credit score may be a deal breaker.

I think responsible fiscal practices are hot.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    keep in mind, the article uses an example of a woman on a FIRST date being asked her credit score. because of her answer, she never got a second date. the guy texted her with... "it wasn’t you, it was your credit score.". to me, that's insane.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    keep in mind, the article uses an example of a woman on a FIRST date being asked her credit score. because of her answer, she never got a second date. the guy texted her with... "it wasn’t you, it was your credit score.". to me, that's insane.

That's hilarious. A person with bad credit just can't be trusted.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

i'll show you mine if you show me yours. :happy:
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    People might not want to settle down with someone who has crappy credit. Dating sometimes leads into marriage and some people might not want to pay off their new spouses heap of debt. Also, it will make it harder for the couple to buy a home or a car, rent places.

However, I think that unless this person proves that they are irresponsible to you then give them the benefit of the doubt. I know WAY TOO MANY gold digging, consumerist, money loving women. Some people can't put away the materialistic attitude for 5 seconds and feel like they are entitled to everything. This is crap. I guess some men do this as well, but it seems like snotty women.

As far as I am concerned, if you have a roof over your head and can feed yourself and your kids then you need to shut up and be grateful! People get caught up in the need to have more stuff and put too much value into things. The American dream is crap,look at how other people live in the world? We are pretty spoiled.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I saw that article earlier today...I gave it the side eye.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    LOL. I doubt anyone is asking these kinds of questions at the bar! However, it is one of those things that you probably care about if you are going to merge your financing with another person--when a relationship gets serious. It may give insight into their character because it reveals how they handle their responsibilities and commitments. Of course, as others have mentioned this is not necessarily a deal breaker but it could be if it revealed larger problems.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Credit is a Big deal. Depending on a persons goals, bad credit Could prevent them. many times, bad credit Is a reflection of bad money management. I'm not in favor of having a joint checking account with Someone who Can't handle bills and Spending. I don't want Someone to be in charge of paying my bills who pays late most of the time. There are times when Crap happens, but Yeh,bad CreditWould hinder my future.
  • Kendrazombie
    Kendrazombie Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My husband had awful credit when we got together. Two debts that had been sold over and over and racked up quite a bit of interest. One was from a mistake the hospital made that he didn't realize was in there. The other was him being naughty and over drafting his bank account by hundreds when he was 19. We fought the mistake and negotiated a lower deal on the one we had to pay. When we bought a house we discovered one of the collectors took our payment but sold the account yet again. Spent about a month on the phone fighting and got it squared away just in time to buy our house. It was a headache but not a deal breaker for me. :)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    A credit score is a reflection of character.
    If a lending institution doesn't trust a person with loaned money, how can I trust this individual in a serious relationship?
    That's insane.
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

i'll show you mine if you show me yours. :happy:

Well how can I say no to that?? Rawwwrrrr :bigsmile: