credit score is a deal breaker when dating? really??

Options

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd immediately discredit (hah!) someone for having a bad credit score because I'm not sure that's a really appropriate first date question. However, if it were someone I would eventually settle down with, credit score/fiscal responsibility is HUGE to me. I'm horrible with money and have fought to increase my credit score and pay down my debt. When I met my current boyfriend (who I now live with) I was over the moon when I found out that he had a ridiculously high credit score, minimal debt, owned his own house, had 3 retirement accounts and saved more than 1/2 of his paycheck. I was overjoyed not because I need someone to take care of me, but I need someone to help balance my spending spending personality and he does that perfectly well and that's what a relationship is. I help him spend a little money and he helps me save money by helping me with a budget.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd immediately discredit (hah!) someone for having a bad credit score because I'm not sure that's a really appropriate first date question. However, if it were someone I would eventually settle down with, credit score/fiscal responsibility is HUGE to me. I'm horrible with money and have fought to increase my credit score and pay down my debt. When I met my current boyfriend (who I now live with) I was over the moon when I found out that he had a ridiculously high credit score, minimal debt, owned his own house, had 3 retirement accounts and saved more than 1/2 of his paycheck. I was overjoyed not because I need someone to take care of me, but I need someone to help balance my spending spending personality and he does that perfectly well and that's what a relationship is. I help him spend a little money and he helps me save money by helping me with a budget.

This.

When you're looking at long term, you do have to consider it. Granted, by that point..I've prolly already fallen in love with someone and have accepted that we would have bad credit history to battle together...and eventually be back in the good together.
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not a deal breaker -_-... my credit score is probably bad because I have no credit. I've been afraid to get a credit card since watching my parents spiral out of control with debt after buying more than they could afford.

I have a small student loan and that's it. Never been to a bank for a loan and never applied for credit anywhere.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Yep, I also need to know how much you deadlift, squat and bench.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Having issues with credit doesn't always mean being irresponsible with your money. People clearly fail to understand that there are situations beyond people's control sometimes...like being a young single parent trying to make ends meet.

You could say I have 'bad credit' because I have a couple red flags on my file at the moment, but they will disappear in a couple years from things I've had to deal with in the past, but once they are gone I will have a golden credit score and will be able to get whatever credit I want (mortgage, car, etc.).

In all situations, people should look at the entire picture and not just a specific number. That kind of 'grading' is shallow as far as I'm concerned.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm very good with my money, that my credit score has consistently gone up tremendously the last year, but then I had to buy a new computer - that I had to put on credit, because $1100 was a little too much to part with at that time, and then something else came up a month later, had to put another $300 on credit. So $1400 in two months.

I paid off the balance entirely the following month, yet my credit score dropped a **** ton, to "fair."

So now it looks like I'm **** at money management, when in all actuality I'm very good.

Credit score isn't everything.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Hey Winner....what's your credit score baby? :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:

i'll show you mine if you show me yours. :happy:

laughing_smiley[1].gif
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    id say its a deal breaker cuz if the relationship got more serious i wouldnt wanna b screwed the rest of my life cuz the other person irresponsibility to manage there funds
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm very good with my money, that my credit score has consistently gone up tremendously the last year, but then I had to buy a new computer - that I had to put on credit, because $1100 was a little too much to part with at that time, and then something else came up a month later, had to put another $300 on credit. So $1400 in two months.

I paid off the balance entirely the following month, yet my credit score dropped a **** ton, to "fair."

So now it looks like I'm **** at money management, when in all actuality I'm very good.

Credit score isn't everything.

paying it all off at once is bad for credit score. creditors dont like it
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    <
    wishes she had checked credit scores before marrying
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    This is retarded. I have more debt then I have income and my credit score is good.

Your credit score only tells how you REPAY debts. It doesn't tell how much overall debt you have.

A bad credit score can be caused by lots of things (even never having HAD a credit card!!! or debts!!!). I've had many friends who had never had a single debt in their life and yet had lousy credit scores BECAUSE they had no debt history!!!!

Really this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

FYI: I'm talking credit score in Canada which may differ from American scores.
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would be psyched to be asked my credit score. At my age, my best asset might be the size of my wallet :-) But I do find it hard to believe someone could ask that on a first date. I think being responsible with money is important, but it is one of a number of traits that one ought to figure out over the course of a relationship.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    A credit score is a reflection of character.
    If a lending institution doesn't trust a person with loaned money, how can I trust this individual in a serious relationship?
    That's insane.
    You're joking right?

There are plenty of reasons why people have bad credit and they are not all due to making bad "choices". You all really need to get your head out of your *kitten*.

There are definitely some exceptions. And, those are explainable. But, dude, if you went through what I went through, you would understand how important it is to not assume someone else's financial irresponsibility. If you don't care, I respect that and understand it. But, I'm more fiscally conservative with my money and money problems bother me a lot. That's just how I am.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I don't care what someones credit score is, if i like them i like them. they could be bankrupt or loaded i really don't care.

Only time their credit score would come in to play is if relationship got serious enough for marriage or living together and even then it would only be to assess approach to take, nothing to do with deal breaker.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand the logic behind this. I personally wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who had a crappy credit score (unless there was a justifiable reason as to why it was the way it was. For example my husband had a low credit score because he refused to pay the termination fee charged by Verizon when they renewed his contract without telling him) because it means that they're not the greatest when it comes to money, budgeting and the important things.

Also, if things progressed and you ended up married to this person who is in a huge amount of debt and has crappy credit you now assume and become responsible for your partners debt.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Yes, I saw that in yesterday's New York Times.

For some people, credit score may be a deal breaker.

I think responsible fiscal practices are hot.

Fiscal discipline? :-)
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't eventually want to be attached to bad credit...because once you marry it, you're in trouble too! It shows ownership and responsibility to me in addition that you are capable of taking care of yourself. Call me shady... but its pretty crucial.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. Why is the score poor? Not everything is based purely on one individuals actions when it comes to their score.

Did they, for instance:

Lose a spouse that was the primary provider?
    Lose a spouse that hid credit charges?
    Lose a spouse in divorce?
    Have their identity stolen?
    Lose their house due to the Housing scams?
    Lose their 6-Digit income?

These are just a few examples of what can greatly impact someone. Unless the relationship is completely open and honest on topics like this, then there should be very minimal "deal breakers"
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand the logic behind this. I personally wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who had a crappy credit score (unless there was a justifiable reason as to why it was the way it was. For example my husband had a low credit score because he refused to pay the termination fee charged by Verizon when they renewed his contract without telling him) because it means that they're not the greatest when it comes to money, budgeting and the important things.

Also, if things progressed and you ended up married to this person who is in a huge amount of debt and has crappy credit you now assume and become responsible for your partners debt.

Yep and i'd be happy with that cos i would be married to the person I love. Unless they were doing nothing about it or intentionally making it worse then its just part of them and their past.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I spent from the ages of 18-26 doing nothing but screwing up my credit score. I have spent the past year, trying to get better. It's going to take a long time for me make up 8 years of dumb decisions. If it keeps a woman from dating me, it's the least of my worries..