credit score is a deal breaker when dating? really??

Options

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    LOL. I doubt anyone is asking these kinds of questions at the bar! However, it is one of those things that you probably care about if you are going to merge your financing with another person--when a relationship gets serious. It may give insight into their character because it reveals how they handle their responsibilities and commitments. Of course, as others have mentioned this is not necessarily a deal breaker but it could be if it revealed larger problems.

yes, when you're talking about marriage, sure you need to talk about it. but the article implies it's a trait you need to know up front on date #1 and even points out dating sites specifically centered around that "requirement".
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    If you have goals such as purchasing a home or car with your spouse it would be important.
    Not that it would be a *deal breaker* but it shows that someone is responsible also.
  • ryanp77
    Options
    It has become a big thing with people getting together. Some say if your significant other lies about how much money they owed can ruin the relationship. Then if they get married the other person is now on the hook for all of the debt
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    "How somebody treats their money is just another manifestation of how they treat the people around them."-- Suze Orman

Credit score shows a HUGE sign of responsibility. It's pretty important. :wink:
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    the nicest, most compatible person ever, can become a nightmare when you have a relationship and they are INCREDIBLY irresponsible with their finances. Your life becomes a nightmare if you've lived your life being responsible and you find out they have $50,000 in credit card debt. Duh!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Your credit score tells how great you are at borrowing money. A zero credit score is a "bad" score but is it really?

Yes, Considering the lowest Score is 300. Do you have $100,000 laying around? I don't. I need a loan to buy a house.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It is for me. I am a finance major though. ;)
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    800 and above only...I'm sorry but relationships need to touch on all facets of love and business is one of them. I also require a four-year degree from an accredited university, proof of employment (year tenure or better), and copies of your 1040/1099's from the past 2 years.

This is all conditional based on the results of your child abuse, federal, and state criminal history reports of course.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I can see how it can be important. But if a guy asked me that on a first date, it would be awkward and I would seriously walk away because it's none of their business until we get serious. Even then, A credit score? That in my opinion is weird to ask at all. I've been with my Fiance for 5 years now, and we have never really talked about a credit score before...so that means it's sooooo not important. at least to me.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    800 and above only...I'm sorry but relationships need to touch on all facets of love and business is one of them. I also require a four-year degree from an accredited university, proof of employment (year tenure or better), and copies of your 1040/1099's from the past 2 years.

This is all conditional based on the results of your child abuse, federal, and state criminal history reports of course.

i'd love to ask a woman on a first date for copies of her state and federal tax forms for the past 3 years. as a joke of course, but with a straight face, just to see how she reacts. :bigsmile:
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    I can see how it can be important. But if a guy asked me that on a first date, it would be awkward and I would seriously walk away because it's none of their business until we get serious. Even then, A credit score? That in my opinion is weird to ask at all. I've been with my Fiance for 5 years now, and we have never really talked about a credit score before...so that means it's sooooo not important. at least to me.

also, which credit score? Equifax? Transunion? the other one? they aren't all going to be the same. do you take the average of all 3? how does this work in practice? :laugh:
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you eventually intend to buy a house or car with a person, I can see it being an issue.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Hey Winner....what's your credit score baby? :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:

i'll show you mine if you show me yours. :happy:

Well how can I say no to that?? Rawwwrrrr :bigsmile:

in that case, how YOU doin'?

also, i'm going to need a copy of your resume, 3 character references, copies of your 2011 and 2010 state and federal tax filings, the name of your 4th grade teacher, and a handwriting sample.

:bigsmile:

(with apologies to Easywider for stealing his joke)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, while I go broker a deal between the credit rating companies and sites like match.com. We'll be able to tout mates that are not only compatible, but also fiscally responsible.

I smell profit!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    But you will likely only be asked this Q by someone with a good credit score.
    It just ensures that fiscally responsible ppl hook up.

This conversation is less likely to come upbetween non fiscally responsible ppl.

Its just another way of saying relationships happen when ppl have similar values.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    the nicest, most compatible person ever, can become a nightmare when you have a relationship and they are INCREDIBLY irresponsible with their finances. Your life becomes a nightmare if you've lived your life being responsible and you find out they have $50,000 in credit card debt. Duh!

While certainly not a first date topic of conversation, eventually, any responsible adult will want to know about the financial ability of the person they are considering spending the rest of their life with. Student loans and a mortgage are some reasonable things to go into debt for, but I know that if I found out a girl I was dating had a crazy amount of credit card debt piled up to buy shoes and clothing, it would be a deal breaker.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    "How somebody treats their money is just another manifestation of how they treat the people around them."-- Suze Orman

Credit score shows a HUGE sign of responsibility. It's pretty important. :wink:

Wrong. When I was 23, I racked up a ton of medical bills. I offered to pay the hospital $50/month, which was all I could afford on top of rent and groceries. I didn't have cable, a cell phone, or internet, and my car was paid off. That was, seriously, all I could afford.

They turned me over to collections. It ruined my credit while paying it off (which I did).

I was not irresponsible. I was SICK. I'm sorry not everyone is lucky enough to afford $9000 in medical bills when they're 23 and finishing their degree while working (full-time, I might add).

I did the responsible thing by paying it off with as much money as possible every month. I wasn't some lazy bum who didn't pay her bills.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    What happened to falling in love with the person? If you are only looking for credit scores/money then you may be dating the "devil" as I will always believe that money is the root of all evil!

To me, a good credit score does not mean the person has a lot of money, just that they're responsible with it.

agree
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It is a sign of honesty & responsibility. I definitely would not want my good score messed up. You can't buy a house, etc. I know with this economy now things happen like someone loses their job so I would temper my reaction to the situation with the circumstances the person went thru.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind credit isn't just credit cards and loans. It also includes medical bills. It's kind of hard to say, "Oh, sorry I can't have that emergency operation. I only make $32,000/year."

Also, things stay on there for seven years. People aren't often the same person at 31 as they were at 24.

What happens when someone has perfect credit then loses their job? Can you blame them if they decide to buy groceries and pay their mortgage instead of paying off their Visa every month?

I hope nothing bad happens to any of you judgemental people. Not everyone who has bad credit is "irresponsible". Life happens.