Shakeology

Options

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Most likely the large load of crap you're propagating.

Umm, I think you have that backwards. But I am not trying to come at you or anything but like the others, I am curious as to the science and studies on this. I've tried looking for hte past 20 minutes and all I can find is the same sales pitch about 70 ingredients, etc. I found a list of ingredients with a lot of herbs but still no study.

I'm not being snarky, I'm really curious as to where we can find these studies and the scientific info on all this.

when i search google or bing for "shakeology scam", all i can find are intentionally deceptive websites which once you visit, are simply sales pitches for the product, some even including links on how/where to purchase it.

that seems pretty fishy to me. if the product is so great, why are the sellers of the product creating deceptive websites that clutter up the search engine results so that any real dissenting opinions about it cannot be easily found?

well, i actually know the answer... :bigsmile:

...it's because these people are trying to make a quick buck and they don't want anything on the web that counters their sales pitch to be found by potential "customers", knowing that most people will not sort through 100's of links to find the handful of sites where somebody actual reviews the product objectively.

i understand this. people will go to great lengths to make a buck. but as somebody who considers himself an informed consumer, this raises all sorts of red flags. just sayin'.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Umm, I think you have that backwards. But I am not trying to come at you or anything but like the others, I am curious as to the science and studies on this. I've tried looking for hte past 20 minutes and all I can find is the same sales pitch about 70 ingredients, etc. I found a list of ingredients with a lot of herbs but still no study.

I'm not being snarky, I'm really curious as to where we can find these studies and the scientific info on all this.

when i search google or bing for "shakeology scam", all i can find are intentionally deceptive websites which once you visit, are simply sales pitches for the product, some even including links on how/where to purchase it.

that seems pretty fishy to me. if the product is so great, why are the sellers of the product creating deceptive websites that clutter up the search engine results so that any real dissenting opinions about it cannot be easily found?

...it's because these people are trying to make a quick buck and they don't want anything on the web that counters their sales pitch to be found by potential "customers", knowing that most people will not sort through 100's of links to find somebody actually reviewing at the product objectively.

i understand this. people will go to great lengths to make a buck. but as somebody who considers himself an informed consumer, this raises all sorts of red flags. just sayin'.

I don't think its a scam by any means. I imagine its overpriced because it has the BB name attached to it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I know a guy at work who swears by this stuff. he is an intelligent guy and is totally into the whole BB scene. He is having great success. I dont tell him that it is his caloric deficit and hard work and not so much the shakes. He would not hear it and I see no reason to rub his nose in the fact that my shakes (whey, almond milk and creatine) and my multi vitamin are much cheaper and I too am having success.

I am glad he is having success. He is happier and generally a better co worker now.

If he needs to believe that shakeology plays a big part of it, so what?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Agreed.

If a discussion broke out with your coworkers where they were talking about the pros and cons of his shakeology, would you contribute that you are also having great success with a less expensive option, considering that some of your coworkers may be spending their money on it?

Not posting this to bust your balls, I'm trying to differentiate why I think it's important in a public forum to present reasonable information so people can make objective decisions.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

...it's because these people are trying to make a quick buck and they don't want anything on the web that counters their sales pitch to be found by potential "customers", knowing that most people will not sort through 100's of links to find somebody actually reviewing at the product objectively.

I don't think its a scam by any means. I imagine its overpriced because it has the BB name attached to it.

scam as in completely worthless snake oil? no, probably not.
    scam as in overpriced, and not the only way to get the same results? maybe.

one of the hallmarks of a MLM "scam" is that the products being sold tend to be of inferior quality, do not live up to their promises, and cost more than similar products on the market.

i just find it telling that lots of shakeology sellers are creating intentionally deceptive websites about the product to lure people in, and then are doing a 180 and giving them the hard sell on those same websites. if the product was so great, why the deception? it'd be akin to a tobacco company buying the domain www.tobaccokills.com and then posting a website there singing the praises of smoking as a recreational activity with links to where cigarettes can be purchased, IMHO.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

I think anything that is sold by pyramid scheme is a scam. If a product is so great then no need to hook people into schemes right?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    A shame. The Shakers can't even provide minimal explanation of how their product works.

Christ, a kid selling lemonade on the corner is better at this then the Shake Coaches in this thread. At least the kid can go "Yeah, it's lemonade. My mom buys Country Time and I mix it and if you go to the liquor store you can put vodka in there and make it SPECIAL lemonade!"

Also, MLM scams - you make more money by signing on more employees than you do selling the actual product. Yep, the above poster is right about.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I know a guy at work who swears by this stuff. he is an intelligent guy and is totally into the whole BB scene. He is having great success. I dont tell him that it is his caloric deficit and hard work and not so much the shakes. He would not hear it and I see no reason to rub his nose in the fact that my shakes (whey, almond milk and creatine) and my multi vitamin are much cheaper and I too am having success.

I am glad he is having success. He is happier and generally a better co worker now.

That's good.
    I am happy for your friend.:drinker:
    As for this topic, certain specific claims were made, and when challenged, the "coach" went into orbit instead of just answering the questions.
    People expected to pay more for a supposed "superior" product have the right to question claims made regarding these exceptional and expensive shakes.
    That's fair.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Agreed.

If a discussion broke out with your coworkers where they were talking about the pros and cons of his shakeology, would you contribute that you are also having great success with a less expensive option, considering that some of your coworkers may be spending their money on it?

Not posting this to bust your balls, I'm trying to differentiate why I think it's important in a public forum to present reasonable information so people can make objective decisions.

sure I would and have. But I guess I am just a wee bit tired of the holier than thou attitudes (not yours btw) of people mocking and being condescending about anything they dont do themselves. And yes, I have been guilty of this myself
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

That's good.
    As for this topic, certain specific claims were made, and when challenged, the "coach" went into orbit instead of just answering the questions.
    People expected to pay more for a supposed "superior" product have the right to question claims made regarding these exceptional and expensive shakes.
    That's fair.

i'd have more respect for the sellers of this product if they just said... "yes, the product is over-priced. no it doesn't live up to all it's claims. yes, there are other ways to get the same nutritional value for a lower price. but i have a garage full of the stuff and i need to pay my mortgage, so please buy some and try it. you might like it."

i can at least respect honesty. i know once people get sucked into the MLM pyramids, it's really hard to get out without taking a financial hit that many can't afford.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

i'd have more respect for the sellers of this product if they just said... "yes, the product is over-priced. no it doesn't live up to all it's claims. yes, there are other ways to get the same nutritional value for a lower price. but i have a garage full of the stuff and i need to pay my mortgage, so please buy some and try it. you might like it."

i can at least respect honesty.

if they did that, we wouldnt be having this discussion. It is a business. Look at all the absurd products for weight loss bombarding us on this site. This is a billion dollar business and we are all playing a part. The more we learn about actual nutrition, I imagine the less we spend on this kind of stuff.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    Options

I'm not being snarky, I'm really curious as to where we can find these studies and the scientific info on all this.ju

I think anything that is sold by pyramid scheme is a scam. If a product is so great then no need to hook people into schemes right?

We can agree to disagree. Works fine for me and I don't feel scammed. I choose to buy it because I enjoy it, not because somebody is scamming me into it. I also have had success with the workouts offered by them and ive never even paid for those. Sometimes I think the whole "ooooo gluten free is better for you" is a load of crap....and most gluten free products are overpriced. If its so much better for us why is THAT not cheaper so more people can buy it?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well, I like ModifiedMama's explanation a few posts up. She admits she doesn't know the studies but that it simply works for her. She knows that there are other things that can equate to what the shake is but the shake works for her so she's sticking to it.

That I can respect.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Well, I like ModifiedMama's explanation a few posts up. She admits she doesn't know the studies but that it simply works for her. She knows that there are other things that can equate to what the shake is but the shake works for her so she's sticking to it.

That I can respect.

yep! give a consumer the necessary information and let them make their choice. it's their money to spend any way they want. works for me. i just have a problem with misinformation.

BTW, i do this all the time in the grocery store. i buy some more expensive name brand items that i just prefer, even though the cheaper store brands work just as well. i assume we all do this. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I personally do not care if someone is using it and if they like the taste and it helps adherence, more power to them. It is up to them if they want to pay a bit more if they like it. Heck, I regularly buy ice-cream that is $12 a pint as I like the taste. The issue I personally have is the wild unsubstantiated claims made by people of it's properties, especially when those people are trying to sell the stuff.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options

That's good.
    That's fair.

i can at least respect honesty. i know once people get sucked into the MLM pyramids, it's really hard to get out without taking a financial hit that many can't afford.
    You just nailed it.
    Again, I have had too many friends get sucked into these MLM pyramid businesses, and all they end up with is shattered hopes and a basement full of worthless inventory.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    Options

That I can respect.

yep! give a consumer the necessary information and let them make their choice. it's their money to spend any way they want. works for me. i just have a problem with misinformation.

BTW, i do this all the time in the grocery store. i buy some more expensive name brand items that i just prefer, even though the cheaper store brands work just as well. i assume we all do this. :)

I always do that lol. My mom would call me a freak because with all 3 of my kids I only wanted to use huggie diapers and wipes. My SO would get the store brand and I would be like "omg I can't use those! Those are not Huggies!". They are friggen diapers for Gods sake! Horrible I know.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My problem with it is the wild claims. Not sure if that comes directly from the company or just from the "coaches" trying move their supply. I know 2 people who were selling it and it was ridiculous. One guy is 300 lbs when he started. His big push was he lost 9 lbs the first week just drinking 2 shakes a day! Well, duh! He went from consuming 3500+ calories a day to drinking shakes for about 500 calories and then his reasonable supper. Of course he lost weight but the problem is that now a month later he can't stand the site of the things and is eating just like before. My DIL's friend got her hooked up with a month's supply. She used it for a week before she got tired of not eating food and now it's an expensive dust collector on top of her frig.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    Options
    My problem with it is the wild claims. Not sure if that comes directly from the company or just from the "coaches" trying move their supply. I know 2 people who were selling it and it was ridiculous. One guy is 300 lbs when he started. His big push was he lost 9 lbs the first week just drinking 2 shakes a day! Well, duh! He went from consuming 3500+ calories a day to drinking shakes for about 500 calories and then his reasonable supper. Of course he lost weight but the problem is that now a month later he can't stand the site of the things and is eating just like before. My DIL's friend got her hooked up with a month's supply. She used it for a week before she got tired of not eating food and now it's an expensive dust collector on top of her frig.

I still eat food. I sometimes have a shake a day. Some days I dont. I don't stop eating and not sure why people would do that? Its not supposed to be used like that.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I still eat food. I sometimes have a shake a day. Some days I dont. I don't stop eating and not sure why people would do that? Its not supposed to be used like that.

it is easier to bash and discredit things when you use extreme examples and take things out of context.