What is the worst comment you ever got about your weight?

Options

Replies

• otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Plenty of 'if you weighed less you'd be really pretty', but my husband's family are the worst. A few years ago his Grandma looked at me, sighed loudly, shook her head a little, and asked 'where's that beautiful, slim girl from your wedding?'. I wish to this day I'd been quick-witted enough to say 'I ate her', but I was just too shocked to say anything.
  • nikki0753
    nikki0753 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Being underweight, I often got the whole "go eat a cheeseburger" deal, but more disturbing to me was the amount of people who thought it was okay to just stop me in public and comment on my size, or straight-up ask me what size I was. I can't imagine doing that to someone! For no reason at all- but just to giggle or gawk at! Literally had an old woman stop me at work once to essentially show me off to her friend what a size 0 looked like. Are you kidding me?! That's not okay!

yep!!!! i used to get this all the time! its what made me so insecure about my weight and decide to start gaining!
    people are just so cruel.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Well it was not really a comment, but there is this one time i walked into an elevator (while i was over 120kg) with 3 pretty girls/woman standing already in it.

Then 1 of them stared at me, shaking her head in a no, then sigh and point out the sign in the elevator that said no more then 1000 kg

Then started giggling with her friends... had to go down 6 floors, worst elevator ride ever for me

you should have told her - Must be tough being such a s$%t when you clearly dont have the maths skills for it
  • ce1ine
    Options
    "Only thing good about your weight is how massive your tits are... for an Asian."
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    ""you've lost a lot of weight hey"
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    "I relate to this. I came from a dysfunctional family with women who all had weight issues. Let's just say at 13 I started using dexatrim diet pills. So my self esteem was never very strong.

But this post brought back a painful memory. I was pregnant with my first child. My mother in law sat me down and explained to me how important it was for me to lose weight. Men in her family did not like big women. I was nine months pregnant! She told me that if I didn't get myself in control I may end up like her neighbor who is overweight. Then she explained to me how my father in law would tell her when she was gaining too much weight, and she would become more conscientious of what she would eat. Now to put this in context, she smoked more than a pack a day and was afraid to quit because she may gain weight. She smoked after every meal. I'm sure that curbed her appetitive. So here I was hormonal, nine months pregnant, and being told my husbands family do not like big women. I just about fell apart. I never felt comfortable with them again. It's been 13 years and they still watch what's on my plate. Im sensitive to a comment here and there, they are passive aggressive people They are what I think of thin but unhealthy. None of them, including my husband has any muscle mass. What made it worse was that I gained 30lbs in a year and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and later with hashimotos disease. They, including my husband, don't understand the disease and think its an excuse to eat whatever I want, but it's e opposite. I eat less now than I ever did.
    Last year was a new year for me. A series of events caused me to regain my self esteem. Now with MFP I have a healthier lifestyle and what my in laws or my family feel towards me doesn't seem to matter anymore. This pisses a lot of the family off and they are less passive with their comments, but I still stay true to myself. I struggle with weight loss, always will. But I ran 3 5ks last year and am training for a half marathon. This boggles their mind. My own mother thinks it must be the pill I'm taking for my thyroid that has allowed me to lose 29lbs. I say no, I've been on the same dosage for five years, there is no magic pill. She doesn't believe it and wants to know my secret. My father in law gives me grief about how I'm going to hurt myself running (because I'm big), it's bad for my joints, and any more than one mile is too much. He lets me know his opinion every time he sees me, especially when others are present No mention of the weight I lost, but to be fair, I don't think it's obvious yet. Ive learned to start to let the comments go. Mostly because I've learned that people with low self esteem like to make themselves look better by putting others down and I'm an easy target.
    I believe to always be polite, remember the source, and just do what I need to do. I don't rely on support from anyone. I do my healthy lifestyle for my kids, but mostly for myselfflowerforyou "

they need to **** off and mind their own damn business

edit it didn't quote so I added myself
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I got a message from a (former) friend. We weren't best friends, but still close.

"I just wanted you to know, I still think your boyfriend is dating you because of charity reason. I mean, look at you!"

It's the meanest thing I've ever heard about me and my weight. Not because her message was that rude, I know it could be worse, but because it came from someone I thought was a friend.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Well at least you're jolly!
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Options
    "You gonna work on those legs?"
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Options
    "You gonna work on those legs?"

Did you place your feet between his teeth after that comment...

How about this one... From my mom: "you know... I think the reason your hips look so wide is because your waist is so small!"
    Pretty sure she thought that was a compliment
  • MaryEllen0331
    Options
    When are you due.......wasn't pregnant...
  • lodiloohoo64
    lodiloohoo64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Funny story......So my mom was hitting the drive through at Burger Ting (what my three year old called it at the time) and the girl says, "Ma'am, I'm sorry about your wait". Seth, almost 4, says, "Oma, how rude that she said that about your weight!".

Now for me, it was when a little mentally challenged student asked me if I was pregnant......I was a 7th grader.......and no, I was not.
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    From my Granddad, we are really close and I went to say hi to him at a family function and the first words out of his mouth were "your getting really fat". Not hello, how are you, just a comment about how fat I am. It made me really sad I must admit.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    There were plenty of mean things said...however I think the worst thing is the "You would be so pretty if only you lost weight"....makes you think "Wowww..am I Quasimodo now??" People just don't think before they speak!

I was a bit chubby in high school. and a girl actually told me (as a compliment) that she and her friend hoped I never lost weight because then I'd be too much competition!!

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

:tongue:
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I was at the mall shopping for prom dresses and a woman who worked at one of the shops told me to look at the discount rack because "That's where the bigger sizes that no one buys are."

To this day I can't walk into a dress shop without thinking about that. Words are a powerful thing.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was pregnant, but still...
    I was going to get some pizza, and the pizza guy asked me when I was due. I told him, and he asked if it was just one. I laughed, and said, "Yeah, just one,"
    He gave me a look of disgust and disbelief as he handed me my pizza and said, "Wow. You look like you're carrying twins."
    I should have thrown the pizza at his face, but I didn't think about it until later.
    I walked away, could hardly eat the stupid pizza and cried when I got home.

I relate to this. I came from a dysfunctional family with women who all had weight issues. Let's just say at 13 I started using dexatrim diet pills. So my self esteem was never very strong.
    But this post brought back a painful memory. I was pregnant with my first child. My mother in law sat me down and explained to me how important it was for me to lose weight. Men in her family did not like big women. I was nine months pregnant! She told me that if I didn't get myself in control I may end up like her neighbor who is overweight. Then she explained to me how my father in law would tell her when she was gaining too much weight, and she would become more conscientious of what she would eat. Now to put this in context, she smoked more than a pack a day and was afraid to quit because she may gain weight. She smoked after every meal. I'm sure that curbed her appetitive. So here I was hormonal, nine months pregnant, and being told my husbands family do not like big women. I just about fell apart. I never felt comfortable with them again. It's been 13 years and they still watch what's on my plate. Im sensitive to a comment here and there, they are passive aggressive people They are what I think of thin but unhealthy. None of them, including my husband has any muscle mass. What made it worse was that I gained 30lbs in a year and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and later with hashimotos disease. They, including my husband, don't understand the disease and think its an excuse to eat whatever I want, but it's e opposite. I eat less now than I ever did.
    Last year was a new year for me. A series of events caused me to regain my self esteem. Now with MFP I have a healthier lifestyle and what my in laws or my family feel towards me doesn't seem to matter anymore. This pisses a lot of the family off and they are less passive with their comments, but I still stay true to myself. I struggle with weight loss, always will. But I ran 3 5ks last year and am training for a half marathon. This boggles their mind. My own mother thinks it must be the pill I'm taking for my thyroid that has allowed me to lose 29lbs. I say no, I've been on the same dosage for five years, there is no magic pill. She doesn't believe it and wants to know my secret. My father in law gives me grief about how I'm going to hurt myself running (because I'm big), it's bad for my joints, and any more than one mile is too much. He lets me know his opinion every time he sees me, especially when others are present No mention of the weight I lost, but to be fair, I don't think it's obvious yet. Ive learned to start to let the comments go. Mostly because I've learned that people with low self esteem like to make themselves look better by putting others down and I'm an easy target.
    I believe to always be polite, remember the source, and just do what I need to do. I don't rely on support from anyone. I do my healthy lifestyle for my kids, but mostly for myself:flowerforyou:

sweetheart, you need to form some boundaries! I would avoid those in-laws like the plague!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Had a co-worker that always seemed to find an occasion to say, " Man, that guys was huge, REALLY HUGE! He was even bigger than YOU!". I never really had a good come back. I was 5'9" about 285.
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Either, "Are you pregnant?" or "Run some more, fat-*kitten*" while I was running as exercise.
  • kmburns3
    kmburns3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was very active in high school with sports and extra activities, so I was heavier than the average female but in pretty good shape. Fast forward to the end of my freshman year of college, I came home and my grandma made a comment, and I know she didn't mean it to be hurtful, but she said "You've lost some muscle and gotten a little flabby". She was honest though, and really look at the average college dining hall menu; potatoes, pasta, cereal, and bread - all carbs, no sports schedule and the introduction of a lot of beer didn't help things.

On the other hand though, looking at things from a skinny person's perspective. My mom suffered from lung disease and could not keep weight on due to her body expending all its energy to her breathing. She was 5'6" and at her lowest weighed 89 lbs, very sickly skinny. People would approach her and comment about how awful she looked and why would she want to be that skinny (she tried like h*ll to put weight on). Some people would go as far as to buy a burger or cinnabun and bring it to her (this happened in the mall) and tell her to eat it, that she needed it. This was a woman who I watched eat over 4,000 calories a day and still lose weight. Because of both of our struggles with weight I NEVER make a comment about someone's size, I have no idea what has led them to be who they are and it is none of my business.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The one that hurt the most was you would be beautiful if you weren't fat. That's what motivated me to lose this weight.