January Cycling Challenge

Options
Welcome, One and All! This is a thread dedicated to cycling. We welcome all comers, whether you are an experienced cycler or just starting out. We love commuters, casual riders, spinners, and indoor riders. This is a very casual "challenge". People post miles, minutes, # of rides, cadence, whatever makes you want to push those pedals.

Replies

• marrizia
    marrizia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm in again with a goal of 250 miles and determination to make it! (Fell short for December with 209.06 miles.)
    Thanks for doing this thread, CricketKate!
  • covertsnake
    covertsnake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Got a used trek 4500 for Christmas and I'm looking forward to putting some miles on when it comes in. I downloaded the strava cycling app to keep track.
  • LadyRose86
    Options
    Just getting back on the exercise band wagon. I plan on riding on the stationary bike 6 days a week. I average about 3.75mi in 20min. My short term goal is to be able to ride for 60min at the same intensity by the end of January.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Considering I didn't even make 250 this month, I think that's where I'll set the goal. Weather/family cooperating.
  • tiawna
    tiawna Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi. It's my goal to do at least 4 cycle classes a week at my gym. I will post my progress. Happy New Year everyone!
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi CricketKate! Hi Everyone HAPPY NEW YEARS
    I AM IN FOR 120 again this month but I assume more of the miles will come from the stationary bike rather than my purple people eater due to weather outlook for North Texas for this month.

I have a goal to hit 20 miles @ one time in the saddle during the month of January it will be my longest at once yet

I also have 2 cycling goals to achieve in 2013
    1) Transition into a road bike
    2) By end of November ride 50 flat miles of the Natchez Trace Parkway

Do any of you have Rides or Races you are training for in 2013?

RaNae
    RaNaeLuvsLuzn
    Luznit 1 Meal, 1 Snack, 1 Logged Calorie, 1 day at a time
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi CricketKate! Hi Everyone HAPPY NEW YEARS
    I AM IN FOR 120 again this month but I assume more of the miles will come from the stationary bike rather than my purple people eater due to weather outlook for North Texas for this month.

I have a goal to hit 20 miles @ one time in the saddle during the month of January it will be my longest at once yet

I also have 2 cycling goals to achieve in 2013
    1) Transition into a road bike
    2) By end of November ride 50 flat miles of the Natchez Trace Parkway

Do any of you have Rides or Races you are training for in 2013?

RaNae
    RaNaeLuvsLuzn
    Luznit 1 Meal, 1 Snack, 1 Logged Calorie, 1 day at a time

You`re the best!!

I would like to join. I will aim for 100 miles on my indoor exercise bike!! Its right next to the couch so why not watch tv while doing some pedalling!
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Thank you CricketKate for doing this Challenge!
    And Happy New Year Everyone!

~~ January Goal is 120 outdoor miles
    ~~ 2013 Goal is to build up stamina for longer rides

1704_bike_cartoon.gif
  • i am in, going for 1000 miles this month. i did 900 miles last month.
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    My goal 250 this month and 3000 for the year.

1/1 - 9.1 miles- 23.9 ave.- 23 min. on stationary bike

Jan total- 9.1 - YTD 9.1
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Fuji Absolute 1.4 yesterday!!! I'm going out on the San Gabriel River trail after the gym...I Don't have my pump, seat or water bottle mounted yet...I hope today isn't the first day I get a flat on the trail!!!!

I rode at least 1000 miles in the last 6 months of 2012, but I did a poor job of keeping track, so I can't tell you how many...I know I want to ride the wheels of the new rig!

HAPPY NEW YEAR MFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A few short rides to set up the new bike
    Count:
    3 Activities
    Distance:
    20.40 mi
    Time:
    1:22:36 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:
    729 ft
    Avg Speed:
    14.8 mph
    Avg HR:
    134 bpm
    Calories:
    1,315 C
    Max Distance:
    17.18 mi
  • spngbob
    spngbob Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    3 times a week on exercise bike for 60 minutes. Easy goal for me. Was doing 5 times but decided to add elliptical to those other days. Needed something like this now! Thanks for the Challenge. The month of december was just a blur. Major work to be done!
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Im a fair-weather cyclist so I'll be using my indoor Kieser M3 and since it goes nowhere, I'll be going for time and caloric burn. I use a combination of the calories the bike computer indicates and my HRM says.

Soooo...1200+ Kcals weekly.
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a ride this morning, 8.5 miles.

I would like to do at least 50 miles a month & over 600 miles for the year:-)

Karen
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Considering it's 10 below outside right now, I'm starting up again this year on the trainer. I'm not setting a mileage goal. Instead, I want to ride 400 minutes at my target hear rate in January (30 minutes, 3x/week + 2 longer rides). I get bored after about 30 minutes and want to jump on the treadmill to finish off my cardio workouts.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I normally ride road, race cyclocross in the Fall and commute to work. Since my " race season" does not start to the fall, I just do general riding and base miles from now until early summer.

Jan 1st / 10 miles / 20 mph avg / 30 min / indoor
  • AlaskaStone
    AlaskaStone Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a shot, I had never thought to set myself monthly targets for my cycling. I ride mainly road and XC for pure enjoyment and commuting, I did my first XC race last year and plan to do more in 2013. So I need to be approaching cycling from training perspective now.

Going to start of with hitting 250 miles this month and then I'll see how I get on and adjust it over the coming months.
  • seany69
    seany69 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm intending on joining in again this month, missed out in December for all manor of excuses, so for january all excuses are dropped and New year starts with goals to achieve! Starting off slowly as aware of weather and limited time but something is always better than nothing so setting a target of 100 miles for the month.
  • jac1967123
    jac1967123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hi everyone just downloaded the Strava cycle app so going to aim for 15 miles a week hopefully more but the english weather isn't the best at the mo! :-)