WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• DisciplineIsFreedom
    Options
    50ishfoodie I hope your pain subsides soon. I've had my share of bumps and bruises and know how hard it can be. Things will get better and they will get easier, too!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Just popping back in before we head out to shop at the outlet stores.

JaneH-so sorry that your dad is feeling so low. Hoping his outlook changes it really can get you down when the parents stop wanting to live. About your DS I totally understand your frustration and am hoping that you are able to be the peace maker when it all goes south as hubby lays down the law...I soooo understand. :ohwell:

DeeDee- when hubby and I were visiting Scotland in 2009 we were on a tour with a group and had an evening where they did a dinner with performance and when it came time to bring in the haggis there was singing, dancing and bagpipe:love: s...a lot of our group wouldn't even taste it...hubby and I thought it was pretty good but I understand that there is good and bad haggis and that it is time consuming to make.

Well I'd best get moving, still in my robe and need to clean up before we head out...don't think people would look at me kindly if I showed up shopping in my pj's and robe...probably say "crazy old lady":noway:

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Spent the afternoon making a particularly vicious mocha mousse (a pound of chocolate for 6 servings!) to contribute to a dinner party tonight with the inner circle of my belly dance troupe. It's been so very long since I've made new friends that this is a very, very big deal for me, well worth every calorie. I've told them about Vitamin F!

Hope
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Dreary day today so didn't get much accomplished. Read a book I found in my "closet where I keep my stuff) called Toned Arms in 10 Days. Hmmmmm. Might start that on Monday. Wonder why we always start on Monday. My foot feels better today but I can still feel it so skipped cardio today. Did some weights but MFP won't add it to my diary. That's ok, it wasn't very long anyway.
    Meg -:laugh: Got quite a chuckle reading your story about the unders falling down. Hope you found something nice on your shopping trip. I need to get new bras but am waiting until I lose another 5 lbs.
    Michelle - hope your weather improves enough for you to get to your Newcomers meeting. Wouldn't want that Carrol Cake to go to waste!
    DebA have fun skiing. That is just such good exercise and so fun to be outside.
    Must admit I didn't take notes so I'm at a loss now. Welcome to the newbie. You are a member when you post so just jump in and read all the posts and respond when you can.

Sue in TX
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Greetings friends. Thanks for all the sharing. What an inspiration you all are to me.

DeeDee: How is it going with the speedrope? I can so relate to the pain of bouncing girls. I don't jumprope but have recently added a hip-hop dvd to my workout. My girls stay put thanks to a beautifully engineered sports bra from underarmour. Pricey, but we're worth it :wink:

yours in the journey to radiant fitness,
    Rori in Colorado Foothills
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Renny, thanks for the restaurant recommendation…..I book marked the web site for future reference….we are talking about celebrating our 25th anniversary in Victoria next winter.

:flowerforyou: LindaC. I looked at a map of Ontario and wondered how far north you are----the far north looks very sparsely populated

:flowerforyou: Mary, your workout sounds inspiring. Do you have a gentle leader or a Haltie for your Rottweiler (Rotten-weiler LOL:laugh: )? When my 50 pound Standard Poodle, Brandy, pulled her leash out of my hand and went running off toward some birds a few years ago, I thought I’d have to stop walking her until a friend reminded me to use the gentle leader.

:flowerforyou: manda, between your hubby and the man-flu and not being able to eat your high fibre foods, this has been a challenging time for you…I am not much of a meat eater and on days when it’s “find it and fix it”, I eat no meat at all.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, I am envious of your rope jumping…my problem is that my back won’t let me do any high impact exercise so I don’t run, either.

:bigsmile: Lin, congrats on your weight loss milestone
    I read it wrong at first and thought you now weighed 101 and that sounded scary.

:flowerforyou: Cheryl, I checked out your hubby's profile…..he’s a good looking guy but I decided not to send him a message or invite him to be my friend…..my husband has a profile here too, he is jake45

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Meg, thanks for the reminder to drink more water

:flowerforyou: Robin, what a dilemma---to have to leave your dogs to see your granddaughter

:bigsmile: Judy, your job prospect and your weight training sound fabulous---what a great day for you.

:flowerforyou: Karen, if you are walking outdoors in Michigan cold weather, you are on your way to a good exercise program…add a bit at a time…….if you think you might like to work out more, start with yoga then open your mind to full body movement that is more challenging….when my muscles are sore, I am happy because I know that I have challenged myself and I plan to do it again.

:flowerforyou: Julie, MFP might not have a listing for calories burned bathing dogs but I found 173 calories per hour on another web site for standing and bathing a dog….maybe that will help

:flowerforyou: Katla, two pairs of pants in a new size is the right amount----one isn’t enough because you need one to wear while the other is in the wash---don’t buy more than two because you’ll be moving to a new smaller size sooner than you expect

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, I am glad to see you and sorry to hear of all the challenges in your life….thanks for the reminder of “Gut ‘n’ Butt”….I wear lots of layers of clothes when it’s too cold in the house or one of the places that I line dance

:flowerforyou: Laura, congrats on finding a plan for doing your weight training….your body will thank you for it.

:flowerforyou: Yesterday was my super busy day that concluded with a potluck dinner followed by a speaker…..I had planned to eat at home between teaching line dance and leaving for the event, but there was enough daylight so I walked the dogs and didn’t have time to eat and I forgot to grab an Isagenix bar to take along before leaving the house so I was faced with a choice I haven’t dealt with in years…..eating at a potluck or being too hungry………I ended up choosing servings of a few salads and ignoring all the women who urged me to try the great desserts and cheesy/meaty/starchy casseroles they’d brought. I got to bed later than usual and slept later than usual. The dogs were very patient and didn’t rush me to get up. Our walk would have been great except that there was a big meeting at the clubhouse about emergency preparedness and our usually empty roads had almost 30 cars come by on the way to the meeting and Brandy had to bark at each one and twice at those who made a wrong turn and had to turn around and retrace the route.

:flowerforyou: I did my weight training while watching figure skating…..there’s something about watching athletes while I exercise that inspires me and makes me feel stronger and more successful.

:heart: :bigsmile: Thank you for all the Vitamin F…..I appreciate having all of you in my life.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

My word for 2013 is “Stretch” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to stretch my body and stretch myself personally by improving skills and trying new things.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Amanda - if you don't eat fish, do you have to take omega 3 suppliment (just curious). What about B12? I'm curious because my son's fiancee is a vegetarian, I've asked him these questions but he's never told me. I don't know if he knows the answer....lol

DeeDee - no I've never tried freezing the Swiss chocolates. Mainly because I've finished them before I had a chance to freeze them....lol I probably will, tho, because the chocolates that I don't care for (the ones with nuts on them), if someone at the board meeting doesn't eat them or anyone at mahjongg Monday night doesn't, then I'll probably freeze them to give to someone else. Hey, I can take them to the Y. Many times I get frustrated when trying to buy shoes. Everything has such a high skinny heel. I like something with ~1" heel and a thicker heel (safety is starting to come in).

Linda C - I already input 1/2 a piece of the cake for Sunday so it's accounted for. I'm thinking that for lunch that day I'll just have some beans. My Wii showed a slight gain, too, this morning. But my weekly weigh in showed a loss. I go more by the weekly weigh in than anything else.

Too icy to go out right now so I did a 45 min yoga DVD at home. Tomorrow I'll do some balance games on the Wii. I like the one where you put the balls in the holes (or do you mean the barrels? I like both). I also like the one where the penguin catches the fish. And the one where you take the Mi down the river. Well, actually, there are a lot that I like. I also do the ski jump and the ski one where you go thru the gates.

ohiomom - woohoo! Downwards all the way! Thanks for sharing your triumph with us.

50ishFoodie - welcome! Boy, you've certainly had your share of challenges recently. 8 pounds of chocolate!!!! Well, I guess one good thing is that the chocolate there doesn't have as many preservatives so you have to give it away or eat it quickly. A friend just sent me some Swiss chocolates, one reason I need to give them away is because they will expire next month. Don't want Swiss chocolates to go bad!!!! Feel better soon!

Jeannie from NM - how I wish I could make things better for you. But you are a trooper, that's for sure

nonicee - welcome! Yes, this place is like one big kitchen table. Sort of like MFP's version of "The View"..

Laura - every year I would send a check to the treasurer of my father's group. I guess they used that money for their newsletter etc. Anyway, this year it was returned to me and I realized that I hadn't gotten a newsletter in quite a few months. My suspicion is that the treasurer died.

janice - you KNOW there's room for one or two or three or however many more. Nice to see ya back!

texasgal - isn't it amazing how much of the "junk" food you get and for the same price of "healthy food" you get so little. Well, the good thing is that you know that you're not getting a lot of preservatives and so you have to buy it often. I'm with you, this is about the only group on MFP that I go to regularly. Actually, I belong to another group, but I'm thinking that I may just quit it because I never go to it.

jane in CO - I can hear your pain when you hear your dad talking about dying. Try to look at being at the doctor's offices positively -- should you ever need something, they'll be familiar with you and you with them. I know, I know, that isn't much consolation at all. I just try to look at the positives of things. Sometimes it's hard, I admit. Vince went to MIT for a year and quit. You probably heard his father (admitted, this was over 30 years ago). He continued to live at home but he had to get a job, pay room and board (OK, not as if he had his own apt. but he still had to pay something), and repairs (tires, battery, etc) for his car and so forth. After a year or two he did go back to college -- this time to Lehigh and got his degree in accounting, then his CPA certificate. He's said many times that having that time off from school really opened his eyes to the fact that you need an education. I'm sure things will work out in the end.

M - so glad you had such a good time. You know, a friend sent me some smoked salmon. Now I like salmon, but I wasn't particularly crazy about it being smoked. I honestly don't think I'd ever get myself anything that's been smoked, the flavor just doesn't "do" it for me.

I'm thinking for the future (next month). Whata's a good choice for Wendy's? There's a Wendy's right outside the condo and we do usually go there. They used to have this awesome chicken apple salad, but they don't have it any longer. So does anyone have a good filling choice there? I tried looking on their website and the best I could find was a small chili. Any other ideas?

suebdew - the Newcomer board meeting will be tomorrow at 1. I've already allotted the calories for 1/2 a piece of the cake in my diary so it certainly won't go to waste (only my waist)

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • mouth5667
    Options
    Don't have much time, just dropping in for a minute. I have had a good week, busy, but good. I taught my cooking classes this week (3 classes) and everyone seemed to have a really good time. For those participating, it took about 2 to 2 1/2 hours and they left with 5 main dishes and 1 side dish for the their freezers. I, on the other hand, spent hours shopping, organizing, prepping, typing up recipes, cleaning up, etc. I am one tired old girl right now! Someone here had asked what was on the menu. They made chicken with long grain and wild rice casserole, quesadilla casserole, pork chops with mushroom sauce, vegetable beef soup, creamy chicken with vegetables, and twice baked potatoes. It really was a lot of fun. Probably do it again in a few months, I will have to rest up first!!!!

Also, I am still waiting on our first grandbaby! It was due this past Wednesday but still no baby. I thought for sure it would be today because of the moon but NOOOOOOOOO. It is making us wait!

Good night all!

Lori H.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie, Thanks for the reinforcement on the two pair of pants decision. I was thinking just exactly what you said. I'll have one to wear while the other is in the wash.:flowerforyou:

I made another purchase today; I ordered new scales from Amazon. The scales I chose had nice reviews and were moderately priced. Why buy new scales? This morning I stepped on my bathroom scales 5 times and got five different weights. :angry: The low was almost ten pounds off from the high. :noway: It is almost like using that folded paper fortune teller we used to make in grade school. Ridiculous!:grumble:

We had a great time at brunch with our sailing friends today. It will be months before the weather is good enough to sail together, and it was great seeing them. We went to the dark side over eating, but had enough calories left for some delicious home made chicken soup I got out of the freezer for dinner. I don't know how we'd get along without our freezer. A lot of good food would be wasted, and we'd have to do more cooking.:tongue:

Thanks for all the great Vitamin F!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Awwww Barb - I went and checked out your husband - he is soooo in love with you - how sweet. That's how mine is also and I can't figure out how I deserve him :blushing: Good thing you didn't friend him - he didn't think it was funny when I told him I'd invited all the ladies on the board to do that. He's funny - at first he was only going to log his calories, then he started using my old fitbit but didn't want to sync the two, but then he did. He wasn't going to put up a profile picture, but he did. Just wait, he'll be finding his own board to start chitchatting on before we know it.

Here's my poodle. This is from when he was a puppy. I can't seem to find a groomer to make him look fluffy like that anymore. He looks really bad right now - the last groomer cut he puff off.

OzzieGroomed025.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Also, I am still waiting on our first grandbaby! It was due this past Wednesday but still no baby. I thought for sure it would be today because of the moon but NOOOOOOOOO. It is making us wait!

Lori H.

Waiting for a grandbaby is delicious torture. :heart: :heart: :heart: Enjoy every minute of it. :bigsmile:
  • KNAMsMum
    Options
    Just a quick good night to all of you who are still up! Had fun skimming the past posts and love the Vitamin F.

Welcome to all the newbies - Mary and Janice - there is always room for more and as you can see everyone writes what they can, when they can, and all in very different ways!

Anyone out there do spinning classes? I am interested in trying them out. When I see the folks walking out of their class they look so amazing and I know my fitness level is not as high as most of them there. Can anyone tell me what a spin class is like? I would appreciate it.

Sara,
    Toronto, ON
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,

Today has been a very full day. Start with finally sleeping in. Yay the last couple weeks I have been going to. Bed between. 10-- 10:30pm to wake up between. 4 or 4:30 every morning. Today I slept to 6:30. Felt so good and refresh.

So I tidy up the house than the laundry, went to the Y to do water jogging really enjoy that than went upstairs and tried the stationary bike not sure what I think it. My legs aren't sure how I feel about it. Find out in the morning.

@Dee those shoes sound really beautiful .. Yes now you need a party to wear them to.

Tomorrow I need to be up bright and early so need to get off the Internet. Good night everyone
  • nonnicee
    Options
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I have just scanned over all the posts and there is a lot of information here. I will begin to learn all the names and back stories, just give me time. Someone will have to fill me in on the Vitamine K??? I may not get to post every day, I will be back--often. All the best, nonnicee (aka, Mary)
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Sorry just remember my question. I am seriously wanting to order a fitbit soon. If you have one which one do you have and how
    Do you like it?

Thanks Liz from Idaho
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    WOOOHOOO!!! I could use some ladys my own age as friends. :flowerforyou:
    I have lost 33lbs since July 7th 2012
    :bigsmile:
    Hope you are all doing great on this journey!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: had a pretty good fruit and veggie day today.. Never had time to eat the rest rest of my fruit on Friday (too busy), so ate it for snack this morning. DH made me a mushroom/onion/yellowpepper eggwhite omelette this morning. Made me a kale salad for lunch with peanuts (are U kidding me, u know how good that tastes?) and more veggies for dinner. with creamcheese and crackers and such things in addition, it added up to a satisfying food day.

:drinker: Do you know how much protein is in kale? and how much fiber? u should look it up. It is an amazing source of all kinds of great nutrients. Who knew!? Not I.:tongue:

:ohwell: Buckled down on a couple of things today. 1) 10k training clinic....in the rain and 2) paperwork (yuck)...but feel good that I started.

:flowerforyou: Anyone else intending to visit my kneck of the woods in the future, let me know. I will help you find some cool stuff. And who knows, we could even meet up for a visit!

:flowerforyou: Meanwhile, DIL and DS decided to officially announce their pregnancy to the world! Finally...:bigsmile: :heart: :heart:

I had told all of you, but it was tough keeping my mout shut on FB!!:bigsmile:

:happy: Time to wrap this up for the night. tty all tomorrow.Gonna watch 48 hrs on the tube.

:heart: Renny
  • maloross
    Options
    Hello @ all...

I'm 51 and I try to lose the last 8 kg weight and get my body in shape. At the moment I don't diet any special, only reducing calories and a few workouts.
    I could need a bit encouragement, because I'm losing my temper: starting weight january 2012: 73 kg, weight loss only 5 kg a year.
    How can I lose the last 8kg until may? Any idea? Thanks for helping..

Please excuse, but my english is a bit rough.
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello ladys. The word for today is water,Water,and more WATER! LOL Have a wonderful day!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Happy Birthday to all the January ladies! I hope 2013 will be a good year for you both in life in general and in your weight loss journey.

While cleaning I found my old workout DVD. Lord knows how it got where it was, but I have it back now. It's a cold, rainy and foggy weekend.:smile: We need the moisture.

I tried using my old PC today to catch up on the posts and catchup on individual replies and was almost current, when it crashed, so hear I am on my IPad app again. :grumble:

Jeannie in NM