WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Bump!!

Off for my violin lesson with healthy lunch in hand...went on the KFC website and looked at nutritionals...scared myself good!!

In answer to several questions, I was an Air Force Brat, my father was SAC and we moved ALOT.so he never wanted me to take up a musical instrument as one school district would have music and the next would not....so I sang, Honor Choir, A Cappella Choir, All School Choir, Swing Ensemble....

I always wanted to learn an instrument ...made sure my kids did..piano..sax..clarinet...voice

Now its MY turn!!:happy:

I tortured my kids with lessons until I figured out that I was the one who wanted them. I was also from a military family, always wanted to play, and didn't take up the piano until my 40s, when I discovered that I had no talent whatsoever, my brain pathways had rigidified, I had no eye-hand coordination, and arthritis was setting in. I still love to noodle about, though. And both my boys can play, far better than I.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: The sun is shinning on the snow left from last night, it's cold 27 but warming up on this Tuesday:flowerforyou:

Amanda- glad you were able to vent here...and hoping your co worker got the message:huh:

Barbara Ann ( I love your name my Mom was a Barbara Ann too:love: )- good for you learning to play the violin:flowerforyou: I've always wanted to sit down at the piano and play (two years of lessons doesn't cut it) but my #2 Son can play and I enjoy listening to him when we are able to go to restaurants where he's playing:love:

All this talk about Kale has me curious so next week I will give it a look and see about buying some. I started reading my book Strong Women Stay Thin, I'm thinking I'm going to like it and am excited to get to where it tells me how / what to lift and what food / menus they recommend but it won't be for a few chapters so probably won't be in full swing until February.

It sounds like a lot of you are doing well...keep it up...we are going to be the BEST at 50+ :drinker: Keep on logging, drinking that water and moving that body:drinker:

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Oh Ladies - I need some Vitamin F today!

Sorry to be a monalot, but I know you won't judge.

Love to all.

Amanda x

Well, we certainly won't judge YOU. I'm sorry you're stuck with such an immature coworker. I think you must need flowers.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Nice rain coming down this afternoon. Well, it was afternoon when I started reading but it’s getting close to dinner time now. Enjoyed reading about all my Vit F folks.

Lori H – was hoping the baby was here but guess it’s not ready to make its grand entrance. Good for you for losing another pound. Yes, my foot is better guess the rest helped. Hit golf balls this morning and it didn’t hurt so I’m going to walk this afternoon.

Hi Mary – glad you decided to join our merry little band of losers. When will you retire? You will love it when you can take a bubble bath a 3:30 in the afternoon. I told one of my ex co-workers that was the best thing about retirement.

Colleen – Sending best wishes for a good visit to the oncologist. It’s always scary to see them!

Allison – I bet you enjoy having a trainer to help you with your exercise and to review your food log. Don’t be too hard on yourself with your running time. Tell yourself how great it is to be able to get out and exercise again.

Barbara Ann – yes! You are getting into good habits. Good for you and I’m impressed you can play the violin!

Katia – I know you enjoyed your time with your friends. Two of my college roommates and I try to get together as well. It’s so strange that we live several states away but once we’re together we just pick up where we left off.

Tammy – Where are you going on your golfing holiday? Our DS and DDIL gave us a golf outing for Christmas. Haven’t decided when we’ll get to go. Not only do I have to reduce, I have to play better!

Better get DH some dinner going. He's feeling some better so doesn't want to go to the Dr. Said he might get sick if he goes in there.

Have a wonderful evening.
    Sue in TX
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi, all -

Just a quick pop-by - work has been crazy again, and DH has been crazy right along with it. I don't think I can take both parts of my life being crazy at the same time lol. Anyway, he was all wired about a chile he had made for a cook-off at work - and the party this weekend - and I'm just not in a place where I can help him obsess about one more darned thing. I went to bed early last night.

I had a sort of an NSV today: it's our 30-day mark on the Combat program so the coach reminded us to take our pictures. I dutifully took my pictures, then I dragged out my previous ones just to see if I can see the change (I usually don't see it, I'm pretty hard on myself). I didn't have a "Day 1" picture to compare when I first started, but I did have some pictures from when we went to France that I was so ashamed of, so I used one of those. Oh, my word. But then I started looking closely at the pictures along the way - the shorts that got looser in the waist, the muscles that started taking shape, the belly that started pulling back into my spine, the shrinking waist and hips and thighs - and today I could see definition in my abs. In the France picture my face was so bloated; I put it up against a picture on my birthday - you can really see the difference. It made me feel like the changes are so good - the "me" is shining through :smile:.

Anyway, that's about it. I hope everyone has a lovely evening and makes good choices.

Cheers,

M.
  • rel12345
    rel12345 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Lynn0713
    Options
    Hi All,

I am trying to get back on track.
    Lynn
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Jane
    It's good to keep busy. But don't eat those cookies.

Jane
    I'm sure your son will be ok. But us mom's are made to worry.
    I'm sure your husband will help him when push becomes to shove.
    Hope you find help with your foot soon.

Tammy
    Have fun with your daughter

Laura
    Enjoy your book

Sue
    It rained here to but it's turned to ice. So dangerous roads around here.
    Glad your foot is better and your out enjoying golf

M
    35 lbs later should be a big difference

Lynn
    Good luck you will get back with it.

I'm doing ok with the food it's the exercise i'm lazy with. Need to get more serious in that department.

So today was a good day hope to get wii to smile again tomorrow.

Linda C
  • barbaraaloska
    barbaraaloska Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump for later....

Still not getting the bump thing, each time I have to hunt down where I was ?

Tried to go tooo light with lunch, was starving by the time I came out of violin class, convinced myself to drive past all the fast food places, stopped at Safeway to pick up a few things, did not make it out of the store without two chicken tenders from the deli..:sad: .passed on the jo-jos;s tho!! So, I guess its a good thing..:grumble:
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump for later..................:wink:
  • dmendel64
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    It has been a while since I have visited the blog. I've enjoyed reading the past few pages and getting great information on Kale, fitbit, exercising and what everyone has been up to. I have been busy with the fam and my 4 year old daughter. I really need to start exercising to get healthy, but I just do NOT have the energy. I keep saying that I am going to start, I read this blog and get inspired by level of activity of this group of ladies, and still.... nothing! It is 7:49pm and I cant wait for little Miss to go to bed, because I am sooooo tired. I take multi- vitamins each day, and since January 1st with (MFP) have been eating healthy, drinking water but still no energy or desire to start exercising!

Any ideas on how to boost my energy? Has anyone else gone through this lifeless phase? Need some suggestions..

Thanks and God's blessings,
    Denise
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Howdy purveyors of vitamin F! I had an ok day; class today was online, so I had lots of time to get some projects done and out of the way. I think I’m done with the STD chapter for the review book; I’ll double check it tomorrow and send it on its way. One more thing done! Tomorrow is clinical and we are expecting about 4” of snow and high winds….praying for a miracle snow day here! I could so appreciate it.:tongue:

Well this is kind of funny/odd. DH went to the pharmacy to buy his meds and they rejected his mastercard. So after paying another way, he came home and called them (this was last night). He was directed to the “security department” and of course they were gone for the day, so he had to call today. They told him there was a suspicious charge on the card, so they cancelled them and issued us new ones. Guess how much this mysterious and worrisome charge was for? $1.00!!!!!!!!! I thought “you have got to be kidding!:” then I thought…it’s probably a “fishing expedition” and if we don’t protest the charge, then the spending spree will begin. So I guess someone was doing his or her job!

Laura in CO: great nsv! I bet that felt great!:flowerforyou:

Glenda: glad your conference was a good one and you managed to eat healthily during it!

Jane: your gbaby pic is so cute!:happy:

Disciplines: go easy on the shoveling….how many calories does that burn? :bigsmile:

Lin: I have never tried kale and after reading your story, I might not ever! :sick: Count me in for the panty bunch! Or is it the bunched panties? :laugh:

Barbie: weight training even with tiny weights is also beneficial for older people, especially those in wheelchairs too

Colleen: congrats on the upcoming DDs marriage!

LoriH: congrats on the weight loss!:flowerforyou:

Mary: welcome to our group!

Lila: lung strudel????? OMG Ick Ick Ick:sick:

Michele: I will grrrr with you!

Barbara: what is EVOO? I may change my mind and try kale chips despite Lin’s warning!!!:tongue:

Katla: the “big” book is a nursing textbook meant for all levels of students; they should use it the entire time they are in school. For this edition I am re-writing 2 respiratory chapters and supervising the authors writing the 3 emergency chapters. The other book taking my time is a large test bank for a pediatrics text. A text bank is a resource sent to faculty who use the text and it has—in this case—1800 questions and covers the entire book. Most faculty can’t write good questions for tests, so many of them rely on the test bank. Enjoy your lunch with your friends…those are the kind to keep!:smile:

Amanda; this is a safe place to rant; Lord knows I have done so!!! Sending you a large packet of vitamin F. Look for it in the mail!:happy:

DeeDee: your cooking adventures sound great! I am not very creative in the kitchen, although I’m a good cook with a recipe. I guess that’s an oxymoron.:sad:

Allison: that same plague has made its way around here too! It literally took me a month to get over a sinus infection recently. Everyone who has been sick here says the same thing. This season has been miserable for illnesses. I took up Russian when I adopted two kids from Russia. I speak a pretty mean “mama Russian”….brush your teeth! Be quiet in there! Go to bed! LOL:bigsmile:

BarbaraAnn: good for you to take up the violin! That is going to be my next instrument, that is if I ever get back to piano!

Julie: keep at it!

Lucy: here’s hoping you have a warm, snuggly night! I too have been cold all winter which is unusual for me.

LinC: great job on the wii weight loss. I hate that goofy voice that says “ooooh” when I step on it!:grumble:

Jane: so sorry the situation continues with the son. I hope it resolves soon. :flowerforyou: Glad the information on cortisone was helpful. Keep us informed!

Tammy: hope you stayed on plan!

Sue: you all need that rain, don’t you? We do too, so if you get too much, send it my way!

M: yay what a great nsv!!!!!!

Lynn: nice to see you again

Denise: I find that exercising boosts my energy

Well I need to get something done here. I did have a nsv today…I am wearing my watch for the first time in about a year! I felt so good about it that when my daughter went to get us all ice cream after dinner, I said NO. I think this is the first time in my entire life I passed on ice cream!

See you all tomorrow. Take care, Meg
  • nonnicee
    Options
    Hello all, Thanks for all the welcomes. I love this post!! Someone asked when I would retire...probably not for a couple of years at least. I just got a promotion at my work and am enjoying learning all the new stuff. Also we have a mortgage to finish paying off, maybe then it will be retirement time. I have to log off. I am dozing off at the keyboard. My body is trying to tell me to get to bed. Good night. I will check back tomorrow evening.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Well this is kind of funny/odd. DH went to the pharmacy to buy his meds and they rejected his mastercard. So after paying another way, he came home and called them (this was last night). He was directed to the “security department” and of course they were gone for the day, so he had to call today. They told him there was a suspicious charge on the card, so they cancelled them and issued us new ones. Guess how much this mysterious and worrisome charge was for? $1.00!!!!!!!!! I thought “you have got to be kidding!:” then I thought…it’s probably a “fishing expedition” and if we don’t protest the charge, then the spending spree will begin. So I guess someone was doing his or her job!

Very good of your credit card company. I once had a telephone call from a credit card company, who caught someone calling from an airport telephone. They wanted to know if that was legitimate. As it turned out, my husband was just flying out from that airport, but heck...what great stuff!!! I would rather have that, then someone making good use of my good credit!!

:wink: For those who are not sure about the "bumping, so you can find your post, or...for later": the only time you need to do this, is when you have not yet posted on this message board at all before. Once you have, then go to the top of your page, right side called "Community". Click on it. Then it will come up with a site that says: "Message Boards » Last 25 Topics RebelRenny Has Posted In". Click on "My Topics". Then one of those topics will be this thread (or Message Boards as it is called). Go to the right hand side one called "Last post" and click on "view". This gets you to the most recent post on our message thread. From there you can work your way back.

Hopefully this clarifies things.

:smile: Some people have been sending me messages about the next veggie challenge. I will post it late Friday evening.

:heart: Renny
    from Vancouver Island, BC.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: DeeDee, I think my Valentine present this year will be new thermal boots for walking in the cold mornings……the old ones are falling apart….I love the vision of Noel standing on your lap wanting to get her hair dryed.

:flowerforyou: Barbara Ann, I took violin lessons starting in 4th grade and continued through high school. I still have my violin but haven’t played in decades……how exciting that you’re learning to play now. …give yourself time with healthy eating and one day you’ll realize that you have no interest in ever going into a fast food restaurant again because your body will crave only healthy food.

:cry: Amanda, I’m sorry you’re stuck with such a maddening co-worker.

:flowerforyou: Denise, don’t wait for energy……take your four year old out the door with you and take a walk.

:flowerforyou: Meg, I agree with you about weights even for much older people and people in wheelchairs…….I learned that in “Strong Women Stay Young”…….there was a plan for everyone at any age or fitness level

:flowerforyou: A friend called and wanted to come over after work for coffee and to talk about some things that were going on with her. Since she got off work at 3 PM, I told her to wear a coat and walking shoes and we’d be walking and talking, not sitting. I ended up skipping my weight training and opted for early to bed since tomorrow is my two line dance class days.

:flowerforyou: When I was a child I studied violin, flute, piano, guitar, and classical ballet. I worked hard at all of them but none of them really inspired me. At age 58 after I’d retired I saw a notice of a line dance class and tried that and finally found the musical expression that worked for me. Now I attend three classes a week, dance at home for fun, dance while walking th dogs and sometimes substitute for one of the teachers. It’s never too late to find your passion.

:heart: Barbie from drizzly NW Washington

My word for 2013 is “Stretch” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to stretch my body and stretch myself personally by improving skills and trying new things.
  • RebelRenny
    Options

Very good of your credit card company. I once had a telephone call from a credit card company, who caught someone calling from an airport telephone. They wanted to know if that was legitimate. As it turned out, my husband was just flying out from that airport, but heck...what great stuff!!! I would rather have that, then someone making good use of my good credit!!

:wink: For those who are not sure about the "bumping, so you can find your post, or...for later": the only time you need to do this, is when you have not yet posted on this message board at all before. Once you have, then go to the top of your page, right side called "Community". Click on it. Then it will come up with a site that says: "Message Boards » Last 25 Topics ******* Has Posted In". Click on "My Topics". Then one of those topics will be this thread (or Message Boards as it is called). Go to the right hand side one called "Last post" and click on "view". This gets you to the most recent post on our message thread. From there you can work your way back.

Hopefully this clarifies things.

:smile: Some people have been sending me messages about the next veggie challenge. I will post it late Friday evening.

:heart: Renny
    from Vancouver Island, BC.
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I think my post just posted twice :laugh: :laugh:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ugghhhh. My daughter received an email for an admissions interview from Princeton!!! Only 8% of applicants are accepted to Princeton. She requested an interview for tomorrow and said the earlier the interview can be completed the better as she has very few openings in the future. She then said they might be able to look at February 10th.

The sad thing is - my daughter got this email a week ago and just opened it. I repeat, uggggghhhhhhh!!!!!
  • barbaraaloska
    barbaraaloska Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update on the bump Renny!! I'll get the hang of it!

And Meg, EVOO is extra virgin olive oil.....and you will love crisp hot crunchy Kale chips fresh out of the oven! And so easy!!

Barbie...where to you take line dancing? I know that the Eagles here in Sequim (Yes....cold drizzly NW Washington) have line dancing. I have several friends that go and enjoy it.

Wishing you each a healthy happy day tomorrow!:flowerforyou:

My weight chart photo is my back yard view looking south to the Olympic Mountains here in NW Washington..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to find my place tomorrow. Have a good evening.

Katla in NW Oregon