WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's a sunny Thursday,

JaneH- Congrats on that new low on the scale:drinker: I look forward to catching up with you tomorrow at lunch:happy:

Katla- I'm finding that maintenance is harder than losing it. I still haven't found the right balance between food and exercise but I know I will it just takes time:ohwell:

Mary- good for you doing Crossfit, sounds like you have found the exercise that's working for you:drinker:

Judy- I take evening primrose and black cohost to regulate my hot flashes and they have worked great for me. No RX needed and they are all natural. I'm just wondering when it all finally comes to a stop and I don't have to take them anymore:huh: Congrats on the job too:drinker:

Jane- so sorry to hear about your gain. I know that it's hard to get out of the habit of those evening snackings it's one of those things that I think all of us struggle with. Have you thought to chew gum, have a glass of water handy to replace the hand to mouth motion? I know that for me having the glass of water handy really helped me when I was struggling with the evening munchies. Hang in there you can make the change:flowerforyou: Just take those baby steps:flowerforyou:

Barbara- congrats on those 10 mins on the bike:flowerforyou: glad your leg brace didn't cause you any problems. I'm sure you will be up to 30 minutes in no time.

Meg- sorry to hear you are feeling "fat" this week. I know that there are plenty of days when I'm feeling like that and then I'm reminded that I'm wearing the clothes that I worked so hard to wear last year and look at how far I've come and it picks me up:wink: I too love to have extra special nails, I'm always looking for something different. That's one thing that I've managed to keep in our limited budget as it always gives me a pick me up when I get them done.:wink:

Lynn- I hear that swimming is a great form of exercise that treats your joints kindly. Glad you were able to learn to swim at 56, that's quite an accomplishment:drinker: I'm sure that scale will move soon with your dedication how can it not:huh:

DeeDee- :noway: jump roping:noway: I'm just not sure my body could handle it.

Michele- I will have to give that chicken / turkey breast cooking a try. So if you place it breast side down it stays moister:huh: That would be great.

Amanda- enjoy your visit...chin wagging:laugh: loved it. I'm sure that during the visit there will be plenty of "chasing the grandtwins" involved and that has to count for some form of exercise.

Linda C- I'm sure that gain is all that water you were drinking and that at your next TOPS meeting you will see that .2 loss. Just keep at it and it will surprise you with the loss you have been wanting for so long:flowerforyou:

Jb- what a fun read your post was this morning:happy:

M- ahh those cravings. I know that for me this journey has been about moderation and I have learned how to allow myself to eat everything I like just much smaller portions. For example last Saturday when we were at the Outlet Stores I went into the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and drooled over the candy apples trying to justify buying one when I saw that they had bite size samples...had one bite and it took care of the craving :bigsmile: with no guilt...if it had been a whole apple the guilt would have been overwhelming.

Tammy- History on line...sounds like something I'd like to do when I finally get to retire. Hubby and I love history and are constantly watching the History Channel, Discovery Channel, Travel Channel to learn more:happy:

Lucy- So much for such a short year so far...hoping your car is able to be "fixed" with no outward signs of it's bump:ohwell:

Last night I baked Brussel Sprouts for the first time and we loved them:drinker: I will be doing that again real soon. Had burgers wrapped in lettuce so pretty healthy for our dinner with a salad of course. It used to be that hubby would buy his salad for lunch when he used to have a job that actually paid him (this current job doesn't pay much at all) so he takes his lunches now and we make our lunches when we are preparing dinner together...so much fun doing it together:bigsmile:

I best get moving lots of work to do for the end of the month. Don't forget to start thinking of what goals you are wanting to make for February as it's right around the corner.

Move it and log it, Drink that water and log it, If you eat it log it....everyday we are working towards the NEW Women of 50+:drinker:

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Amanda: Is this your aunts and uncles or your siblings? Either way, I hope you have a great time.:smile:

Linda C: I’m so impressed with your resolve. Congratulations on the bath towel. You’ll get past that .2 barrier in no time and wave goodbye to it forever. I believe in food, too, BUT I take calcium plus vitamin D supplements because medication I take for acid reflux (to prevent cancer) causes bone loss. I take some other supplements, too, for joints, & nails. Stay warm. :wink:

Jb in Portland: I LOVE the poem! Thanks for sharing!:heart::bigsmile:

mwheatcraft54: My DH is also on his own path. We started together and he has made progress, but not as much because he’s not really working at it. There are good signs, though. He’s setting up a weight station in the garage, and he did get on the bike for at least a little while. He says the MS makes everything harder, which is true enough.:ohwell:

DIL is now up and it is time to get ready for yoga. Amazon notified my that my new scale has shipped, so I should be getting it within a few days. Then I'll see what I actually weigh. The new pants are already a little loose around the butt, but not the belly. I might need to do some sit ups. Do you have any other suggestions for belly slimming?

Katla in the fog in NW Oregon
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Ladies I need some support. I've been at this for 25 days now and haven't lost a pound despite doing it all right. I'm exercising and burning calories like crazy, eating right and staying under my calories and the scale just isn't moving. I feel like I'm getting more toned and I think my clothes are fitting better but every time I step on the scale I just feel so frustrated. Since I've turned 50 it's like my weight has jumped up and no matter what I do nothing makes a difference.
    I would love some words of wisdom and any help you can offer to keep me going. Thanks so much!
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    tammytylerjon - Thank you for mentioning Coursera. I just signed up for the Quantum Physics class in March. It coincides with art studio hiatus and I can always kick in a few hours of painting time. Can't spare the Russian hours--five minutes after I learn something, I've already forgotten it. No one laugh at the course I chose. I've always been a hobbyist on these topics so this seems like it's ideal, I only hope I can remember what I learn. I always wished I'd gone into Physics & Math, and sorta did at least 50% of it since I'm an accountant, so at least now I can pretend.

Lucy--If 50 were really the new 30, I wouldn't forget a new word 5 minutes after I learned it! And your car incident, you are not alone! A while back, I had bought a new Mustang GT--and within the first week, drove through wet yellow paint on the road after they'd painted the lines on it. They DID NOT put up cones! Drove 40 minutes to work and saw it when I parked! Took it to a body shop who used some chemical illegal in NJ (lol) and I picked it up after work. Ex-hubbie never knew! I was terrified all day.

My muscles, including ones in my calves I never knew were there, are all sore. I did make a 2 mile run this morning, but I think I really need to amp up my protein.

LinCharpentie--If my trainer works me harder next week, and gosh I hope you're wrong, but if he does that, I'll have to come home in an ambulance.

I'm not certain if the topic of Green Smoothies have been broached here, but I'm going to credit the one thing in my diet that has afforded the most significant change to my health (ok, #2--divorce was #1)--and that would be drinking my Green Smoothies everyday. Golden beet leaves are my favorite leafy green, and I can't even begin to tell you the difference in my overall health (and especially with my skin) that this has done--so much so, my Vitamix has become my closest friend.

Carpe diem!

Jackie in Cherry Hill outside of Philly.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Thurs.
    It`s burrrr cold here.
    Did great last night,stuck to what I logged.
    Thanks for your love and support.
    HUGS
    jane:drinker:
  • barbaraaloska
    barbaraaloska Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ladies I need some support. I've been at this for 25 days now and haven't lost a pound despite doing it all right. I'm exercising and burning calories like crazy, eating right and staying under my calories and the scale just isn't moving. I feel like I'm getting more toned and I think my clothes are fitting better but every time I step on the scale I just feel so frustrated. Since I've turned 50 it's like my weight has jumped up and no matter what I do nothing makes a difference.
    I would love some words of wisdom and any help you can offer to keep me going. Thanks so much!

Is it possible that you are building muscle? Remember that muscle weighs 3 times what fat weighs, and if your cloths are fitting better, there must be some fat gone...:wink:

You might want to have a BMI done for a reference point as you continue.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls! Still trying to work my OLD job!! Talked to new boos this morning and got the $$$ all squared away...instead of getting more annually I am getting a signing bonus! :glasses: I feel like an MVP :laugh: It's going to be a great move..company car, gas paid for and health insurance will cost about $400 a month less!!!!!!

Barbara - Great job on the bike!!! Next stop 5 miles!!! :bigsmile:
    Meg - I love nail art!!! I do my own nails and Pintrest is the BEST place for ideas! With this new job I will tone it down for a while :wink:
    Michele ~ Chicken Breast side down??? We are going to cook a turkey this weekend, maybe we will try that! What's deep water?? Underwater I am guessing. Do you swim at the gym??
    Linda ~ So Frustrating!!! So close, just keep doing the right thing and it will come..at our age patience is key :wink: Keep making good choices!!
    JB ~ Great poem!!! Thanks
    M ~ Congrats on soon hitting one of your goals!!! I still need to try quinoa.
    Lucy ~ OMG!!!!!! OK the black cloud has just been blown away!!! It's all good now :flowerforyou:
    Laura ~ Thanks! Yes I wonder if you stop taking when Mento is over...I think I have a LONG way to go :frown:
    Jodios ~ Welcome - if you are exercising alot are you eating your exercise calories or most of them???
    Jackie ~ I am thinking of trying green smoothies! I have never heard of golden beet leaves. Can you share your recipe? How long have you been enjoying green smoothies?

Have a Great day!!!!! :heart: Judy
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Ladies! This thread is such a great way to procrastinate about my work for the day, as it takes so much time to read and respond! :wink: I'm looking forward to meeting Laura80111 for the second time tomorrow, for lunch. We had so much fun the first time we met! I'm still wondering if the Fitbit counts anything besides steps?

Katia – I’m glad you had a fun dinner with your friends. Old friends can be the best!

Robin – Glad your interview went well! You rock! :flowerforyou:

Judy PositivePower – Congratulations on negotiating a great offer for your new job! That’s so great! Also, congrats on all of the exercise, and getting it in early. I don’t have hot flashes, just night sweats, so can’t help you out there. I probably shouldn’t say that, as now my body will remember to get them. LOL! :blushing:

Jane Martin – That took courage to admit, and I admire you for it. I hope that we are a non-judgmental group. We all have lapses, and it does sound like there must be something else going on beyond night snacking. I hope that your doctor will find an answer for you, as it must be discouraging. Keep posting, and we’ll still be here to cheer you on! :drinker:

Barbaraaloska – Good for you on the bike! I was able to peddle mine with a cam boot on, too. Here’s to peddling off the pounds!

Meg – Your nails sound fun! I had fake nails for about two months, maybe 15 years ago. Hubby really hated paying for them, though (he thought it was a waste) and I wasn’t working in those days, so…. no more nails! They look so nice. I almost never polish my fingers, as I chip them up the same day. I do polish my toes, though.

Amanda – Have a great weekend visiting with your family!

Linda C – It sounds like Murphy’s Law got you with water weight at TOPS last night. I get crazy if I weigh myself every day, because there are so many fluctuations due to salt, etc. You might be happier just looking once a week. Also, I always weigh more at night than in the morning, and I’m sure you do, too. I hope to hear you’ve passed your milestone soon. You’re so close!

JB – I’m always in awe of your writing abilities. Great poem!

Lucy – Oh, my! I do hate telling hubby when I mess up the car. Hopefully, yours can be fixed without him knowing. I think that your year can only get better from now on, starting with the need for a belt! :flowerforyou:

Jodios528 – It’s frustrating, I know. Your clothes are fitting better, and the scale will drop eventually. Muscle weighs more than fat, so your exercise may account for some of it. Exercise also makes your muscles retain water, which is heavy. On the plus side, more muscle will mean a higher metabolic rate to help you in the future! My question would be: are you drinking enough water to flush out your system? Aim at a minimum of 8 cups a day, and 10 iseven better! Have you taken your measurements? Those are another good way to gauge progress besides just the scale.

Jackie – I just started drinking a green smoothie this week (Naked Green Machine), but want to start making my own. I do have a vitamix. Golden beet greens, huh? What else do you put in your smoothie? Has it helped with the weight as well as the health?

Jane in Colorado
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,174 Member
    Options
    Jane H - having computer issues but here's the propaganda from Fitbit. I LOVE MINE.......:heart:

Get fit. Sleep better. All in the One™

THE ONE™ WIRELESS ACTIVITY & SLEEP TRACKER

If you want to turn fitness into a lifestyle, the One™ is for you. For starters, it never rests. During the day, it tracks your steps, distance, calories burned, and stairs climbed. Come nightfall, it measures your sleep cycle, helps you learn how to sleep better, and wakes you in the morning. The One™ motivates you to reach your goals by bringing greater fitness into your life – seamlessly, socially, 24 hours a day.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Jane H - having computer issues but here's the propaganda from Fitbit. I LOVE MINE.......:heart:

Get fit. Sleep better. All in the One™

THE ONE™ WIRELESS ACTIVITY & SLEEP TRACKER

If you want to turn fitness into a lifestyle, the One™ is for you. For starters, it never rests. During the day, it tracks your steps, distance, calories burned, and stairs climbed. Come nightfall, it measures your sleep cycle, helps you learn how to sleep better, and wakes you in the morning. The One™ motivates you to reach your goals by bringing greater fitness into your life – seamlessly, socially, 24 hours a day.

Best Commercial I've ever read:wink:
  • MTGWW
    MTGWW Posts: 34
    Options
    Good Morning my vitamin F's. I truly do appreciate that that is indeed what you are. Just finished my first month, and I know that the support I got here truly was like a vitamin that boosted my endurance and outlook. Thank you so much. As you can see, I changed my profile picture. Thought I would put on one with my DH since he is doing this along side of me, and that is really helping me also.
    My first months goals were to just make it through one month. Not that I believed in any way that that would be all I needed, but because I never stick to a plan that long without giving up and undoing any progress I made. And even though I went through 3 weeks with no change in the scales, I just kept at it, thanks to all the advise I got here.
    Though I only lost 5 pounds this month, and since my goal is at least 50, I did feel a bit frustrated at times. Seems like when I'm so overweight, that it should have come off faster, at least the first couple of weeks, but whatever. I'm trying to remind myself to move more all the time, and to take it one day at a time. Just make yourself do healthy things each day and eventually it will pay off. What do I have to show for my first month besides 5 pounds, a little more belief in myself, and definietly more strength and endurance and more feelings of energy and well being. At the beginning of the month, I could barely force myself to get in 3 30 min workouts a week and now I'm doing 5 45min workouts. That is a big improvement. So here is to :drinker: :drinker: onward and (downward--scales that is) for another month.

Sue, enjoy your golf. Hope your cookies were good yesterday, I'm going to bake oatmeal chochip cookies this afternoon.
    Julie, Have a good work day.
    Lenti girl, good job on the kale. Surely that will cancel out the potato chips:bigsmile:
    Allison, I always try to remind myself that my sore muscles means something is working.
    M good job on walking home from the nechanics. It really shows you have changed your mindset.
    Lucy, sorry the job is a struggle. May your next few years go quickly. At least this feeling makes it easier to say goodbye.
    Barbara.... You find that airdyne and go girl. Your legs will thank you. My husband has ridden an airdyne for years and he has the best legs!!
    Laura, your doing good. Keep it going and enjoy the cold and snow, It's really invigorating.
    Tammy, have a great day in the wonderful outdoors.
    Jane, congrats:drinker: on that scale moving. I know you don't know what made the difference, but could it be your upped your water intake this weekend?
    Katia, thanks for the tip on Olive garden lighter menu. I think I'm going their this weekend with Mom and that will be helpful.
    Mary in Renton, I've never heard of Crossfit, but great job on signing up again. I know that there are lots of mental roadblocks we put up for ourselves about things being too hard, and it looks like you are overcoming that. Woo Hoo.
    Positive Power, you too sound like you are hitting the exercise hard. Good for you.
    Renny thanks for the link about Kale. Seems to be all the rage now. It'll be good to learn more about it.
    Jane,Martin,,, I'm so sorry about the gain. I hope you can get back on top of things. We all KNOW how hard it is and have all been there in the loose then gain it back scenario. Please don't beat yourself up. Take sometime for yourself and figure out how you can regroup.
    Whoatup... welcome. I just joined a month ago, and these ladies have been not only helpful, but inspiring and informative.
    Meg... good for you getting your nails done. Hope they look pretty. Drink your water and you won't feel as hungry.
    Lynn from Georgia, congratulations on the swimming. You should be proud. I hope the scale moves soon for you. It is frustrating, but your picture makes you look pretty thin, so I'm sure I'ts just going to be that much slower. To me you look amazing.
    DeeDee, dinner sounds so delicious. Wish I could jump through the screen and have some with you and a glass of wine.;
    Michelle,, one thing about brussels sprouts is that you don't want to undercook them. That's when they are very bitter. Try roasting them with a little olive oil, cut in have first, and then put some balsamic reduction on them. Oh my heaven they are good.
    Barbiecat, good for you for choosing to do good for yourself first. We ladies need to learn that.
    Amanda have a great time in London.
    Linda, sorry about the weight gain, but drinking lots of water before you weigh in definitely will make the scale go up. You just can't count on the fact that you eliminated it all, and every two glasses of water weighs a pound in your body. Next time you have tops weigh in, go in a little dehydrated.
    JB, cute poem, and way to be creative. That takes some work.
    M.... I hope you get that weight loss on the scales this week, that your longing for.
    Lucy, I sure hope you feel this next month goes better for you and good luck with the car.:cry:
    Jodie, it will work. Just keep at it. Exercise more than you think you can. Don't give up. Drink water. Hang in there.

:smile: Everyone have a good day. Try to get in some movement and tomorrow starts a new month. I ordered a fitbit, sound that will be my new fun thing. When it gets here you ladies can fill me in if I have any questions.

Take care everyone,
    Karen from Mi.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    OK....Update.....I sucked it up, put on my big girl pants, and told hubby about the car. :blushing: He just laughed and said "You know you suck at backing up your car, but I'm sure glad it wasn't MY car!". Anyhoo, the shop called, and it's fixed! :smile: They asked if they should put it on the bill, and at first I said "no", but decided to come clean. It only cost $45.00 for the repair, so I am grateful for an honest car repair shop, and decided that honesty is always the best policy! :wink: This year is already looking brighter!:happy:

Thanks for all the positive thoughts. You guys are the best!!!:smooched:

Hugs,

Lucy in sunny but windy Delaware:bigsmile:
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi Beautiful Middle-Aged Women:

A few of you inquired about the Green Smoothies and what I use in them. I only started my log 1/10/13, but I've made my diary public. I put all of my Smoothie ingredients in the breakfast meal because I drink most of it in the morning, although I always have enough for a few more cups during the day here at work. I make a mason jar or two in the morning. The only thing in the breakfast meal that doesn't go in the smoothie is my peppermint tea, honey and half & half (half & half and sometimes blue cheese are the only dairy I eat/drink). The 10 almonds is actually about 10 almonds and 2 cups water which is my homemade almond milk, but I couldn't find any other way to track it. There you'll find the smoothie ingredients I've used since tracking. Be careful with the Dandelion greens because they needed more fruit.

I don't use bananas because for some reason, bananas, no matter how little I eat, go straight to my hips :) I'm also more of a green person so there's not a whole lot of fruit in mine. If you want them sweeter, use more fruit. The smoothies 1/29, 1/30 and 1/31 are EXCELLENT.

If you have a Facebook, look for Simple Green Smoothies--they have an EXCELLENT page with all kinds of recipes. I'd also heartily recommend Victoria Boutenko's Green Smoothie Revolution book.

I had made the transformation to probably a 50% raw food diet a little over a year ago. I added to that a Matcha Green Tea smoothie every morning, but that turned into a Green Smoothie every day about 3 months ago. I still eat a lot of raw, and if you look in the diary, I also eat kind of regular food on occasion because I'm not going totally Pleistocene and eating grubs and crickets.

Someone asked about Golden beet greens. Firstly, I am a BEETNIK. I just love beets and borscht and beet salad, roasted beets. If it's "beet," I'm there. There are red and golden beets. Golden are far better and their leaves are sweeter than the red, but I do eat more red since they're easier to find organic. I try to buy everything organic. Whole Foods is great for "odder" greens, as well as places like Reading Terminal Market and the Italian Market (each city probably has their own version).

If you want, you can message me and I'll answer specific questions without tying up the board (if that's preferable), but I cannot toot the horn enough on the value of eating more greens and the nutritional superiority of eating them after they've been blended when you are able to digest more of the nutrients.

Jackie from Cherry Hill outside of Philly

EDIT: Like I said, the 10 almonds are really 2 cups of Almond milk. If you don't want your Smoothie like sludge or sorbet, you do want to add at least a little bit of liquid. And although I stated the peppermint tea doesn't go in my smoothie, if you see an entry without honey and Half & Half, well, that went in my smoothie. Peppermint tea with nothing in it is a great addition in a smoothie.

Oh, and if you do look at the diary and see the 18 bacardi and diet cokes one weekend, I am not an alcoholic. I was out of town on a girl's weekend and spent a lot of time in a club--I went on the alcohol and diet coke diet for two nights. Then you'll see a few days of no tracking, where I came down with the plague, probably because I caught something awful at the club. :)
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    The cloak is not working today. several tears have fallen already. I really hate this. I have another interview tomorrow for another job. I won't find out about the one on Tuesday until next week. I will keep trying everything I can to get away from all of this. Have a great day ladies. I hope to post some photos this evening.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
    Soggy PNW
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    So, because I don't have enough to do this weekend I ordered puzzle gym flooring (2'x2' squares that fit together like puzzle pieces) and a new stand-alone chin-up bar and pull-up assist (a stretchy band that hangs from the bar for your knee or foot to go in to help with doing pull-ups/chin ups until you can do them yourself) and I'll be making my "gym" a little more official. DH was outraged that I went ahead and did this without checking with him first - as if. Pfft. He doesn't like making decisions; I make them in no time (not impulsive, just when I decide I want to do something, I do it). He's been talking about finishing the basement since I've known him, but it's still just a big black hole. I did at one point make him and the kids order a dumpster and get rid of all the years of clutter that had accumulated down there, but as a rule I use it to store Christmas deco and not much else. However, it's a good place to work out - temperature is pretty steady and the house doesn't shake when I'm hitting the kickboxing bag.

Anyway, all my stuff is here, he's playing poker tonight, and I'm clearing out my own personal space. Yay! I'm not putting mirrors up on the wall yet, but I may buy a new flat-screen (small) to hang on the wall - BIL is going to run some cable for me. Oh, that reminds me - extra cable box. Must call. Anyway, new room makeover coming up!

Robin, I'm so sorry to hear work is still painful for you. I will be sending out good thoughts that one of the other jobs comes through for you.

Allison, I loled at your diet-and-Bacardi weekend - I haven't had one of those since my birthday at least, but every so often I let loose. I still like to cook too much to go raw, but I do make my smoothies with green stuff. I'm going to try avocado in them this weekend (I have a bunch to use up).

Lucy, I'm so glad the mechanic was able to fix your car! What a bummer to lose the panel, but I can completely understand given the rain yesterday.

To those still struggling to get the scale moving, I can only tell you my personal testimony: I went for over four years without losing an ounce despite walking seven miles a day, seven days a week. I was so sad - the doctor kept telling me it would change, just give it time. We knew there was nothing wrong with my thyroid; I just wasn't losing weight.

When I finally decided to do something more serious about it this past summer, this is what worked for me: I started an intensive workout program (P90X, but crossfit, spinning, anything that combines weights/resistance and cardio) that had me working out HARD over an hour every day, six days a week, and I started tracking every single calorie religiously. I quit drinking alcohol for several months and still only have the very occasional glass of wine because I don't have a lot of room in my diet for the empty calories. At first, all I did was limit my calories to within a 1500 - 1800 range or so. I had about 45 lbs to lose when I started, which is a lot but not a lot-lot.

For the first two weeks of the program the scale didn't budge. In fact, I lost five pounds the first week or so, then nothing more for almost four weeks. I was so sad, but I knew even if I didn't lose another ounce I was still going to be healthier, so I kept at it. Then ounce by ounce, 1/2 pound at a time, I started losing - to a rate of about a pound and a half a week. That continued all the way to Christmas. By the middle of January I had lost 40lbs and gained a ton of muscle. I did two straight rounds of P90X, adding in an hour of walking every afternoon while the weather was good from Sept - Dec.

Someone else mentioned an Oprah show - I won't swear I believe everything that comes off that show (or ever watch it), but it's been my experience that after 50 I had to start working out like a fiend. It was soooo hard at first - I hurt absolutely everywhere, had no flexibility or strength or stamina, and I was certain there was no way I could do everything Tony was doing. Little by little, step by step, I started pushing myself to try a little harder, did all the stretching/yoga days even when I didn't want to, tried increasing the weights the moment they became "easy" for me, and I'm just simply different now. I feel younger, I look younger, and I am much lighter. I'm not afraid to try something because I know if I can't do it at first it's only a matter of a little practice before I can. Heck, I'm doing kick-jumps now and have to watch my head so I don't hit the ceiling!

Ok, that's it. I'm off. Good luck, try not to get discouraged, remember you're doing this for life, not just for a few pounds.

Cheers,

M.
  • brookrd1
    brookrd1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started about 8 months ago doing interval I am 57, i really feels great...I have found a group that I can do intervals with and that helps to keep you motivated. Most town have such groups :-). Good Luck!!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    This computer is driving me crazy. Can anyone tell me why when I do a word document and copy and press Command C (Mac) the go to the reply box and Command v I get several copies of my post? Anyway, it’s been a good day. Chicken in the crock pot, exercise done, golf balls hit and almost got my responses posted. Did it once and it went somewhere. Good thing I still had the Word doc.

Barbara in Sequim – good for you for doing more than you thought you could. I bet tomorrow you’ll do even more.

Whoatup – please tell us your name and where you’re from so we can connect to you. The first step in weight loss is deciding and you’ve done that. We usually state our goals at the first of the month so now is a good time to think about what you want to achieve in February. Welcome.

Jane – so glad you have decided to get back to weight loss. If there is any better place to get support in your journey, I don’t know where it is. Blessings.

Judy – good for you for asking for what you’re worth! AttaGirl.

Meg – nope didn’t go, we had gust up to 50 mph. One of DH’s buddies called and said he’d hit his ball on the green and the wind would blow it off. Too much wind for me. Made oatmeal cookies instead. Only ate one but heaven only knows how much dough I ate! I’ve decided for next months goal that I’m going to be much more vigilant about measuring and weighing instead of just saying “that’s about a tsp”.

Tammy – when we lived in England, it seemed like the only veggies we could get was brussel sprouts and I swore I wouldn’t eat them again when we got back home. Kept that promise!

Lynn in GA – Don’t give up! Everything you’re doing is a positive move for a healthier lifestyle. It will happen. Looks like you’ve lost pretty good. Maybe try to check your portion size and see if you’re accurate. WW says that’s one way to break a plateau.

DeeDee – no golf too windy and cold but my foot is better. I’ve been doing dvd’s at home and so far it’s not hurt it. Thanks for asking. I’m not sure about jumping rope and the high impact on knees. It’s not for me at my age but you’re a lot younger.

Michelle – I got a good chuckle over you being called the “carrot lady” Bet you could also be the “cookie lady” as you’re always taking people cookies. You’re the best.

Linda C – Aren’t you glad you have the strength to lift logs. Good for you! It’s time to get rid of those 20lbs you were talking about, one at a time or .5 at a time or whatever. Maintaining is getter than gaining. You are so close to your “barrier” just have faith you’ll get there. Be strong and don’t get discouraged. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Jb in Portland – thank you for the great poem. You are awesome and it relates to all of us. I especially liked,”Kissing those ounces goodbye and away”. Have a blessed day!

m – I’m a believer in salmon but haven’t made it because DH doesn’t like it. Always eat it when we go to a restaurant that has it.

Tammy – thanks for the reference to Coursera. I’m going to check it out as I’m getting bored!

Lucy – Oh sorry about your car. You know they say bad luck comes in threes and you’ve had yours for 2013.

Katia – I also need suggestions for belly slimming (besides lose the fat which I already know and am trying to do- make that I am doing.)

Jodios526 – Welcome to the group. Tell us your name and where you’re from. I think everyone will tell you the same basic advice. It takes time- when you’re doing the right things good things will happen – check your portion size are they accurate, are you eating the proper amount of calories, etc. Don’t give up – be determined. I read in the 100 Days Diet Book that if your interested in losing weight, you’re results oriented, if you’re committed, nothing can stop you, not a party, not friends, not anything. So be committed to this lifestyle change and enjoy the journey. You may learn a lot about yourself.

Jane H – that is so awesome you’re meeting Laura 80111 for lunch. When I was doing WW I met one of my board friends in Denver. My girls took me to the Molly Brown House for tea and she just happened to work across the street so we got a chance to visit and she met my girls. Lots of fun to put a person’s face to an online friendship.

Better hurry and hit post reply before it goes away.
    Sue in TX
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I'm going to try and post the post that went away last night, hope it works this time!

JaneH:smile: Congrats!!! A new low....I'm so ready to see one too!!! I have a FitBit and I love it!!! It counts steps, how many miles you've walked, your calorie burn and how many flights of steps you've climbed and tracks your sleeping pattern. It doesn't take into account weight training, I think you would probably like a heart rate monitor for that. I'm thinking of getting one of those too. How are things with hubby and son?

Katla:smile: I have a treadmill, but I hate it, it's just so boring! I would much rather be outside and have been in the rain, wind, cold and even snow. Something about being outside in the fresh air just makes me feel so much better!

Mary Renton Va:smile: Congrats for signing up for a year of crossfit!!! I have a Bichon, she's 12 pounds of sassiness!

Robin:smile: Looking forward to the pics!!! Sure hope things come through for a new job! Keep putting on the cloak!!!!

Judy:smile: I haven't had a Fresca in years, I used to love that clean crisp taste! I need to see if any of the stores around here carry them now, I'm really wanting one!

Renny:smile: I'm hoping I make it to the grocery store tomorrow so I can join in the fruit and veggie challenge on Sat! Start Feb. off right!

JaneM:smile: I think nighttime eating gets a lot of us! I find I want to eat because I'm tired and eating keeps me awake and busy, I've started having a cup of hot tea and just going to bed! I have hypothyroidism too:sad: , my Dr. is great at keeping me at a level I feel good at, hope they figure out yours and get you to feeling better!!! It really makes a difference having the correct level of meds!

Whoatup:smile: Welcome to the group!!! Come in often and chat away! This is a great group of women, full of support!!!

Meg:smile: What kind of nail art do you have? The lady I get pedicures from has had lately gold glitter tips and clear glitter on the nail bed, it looks fabulous on her! My nails are natural and short, I usually just have pale pink, or if I'm feeling sassy I do a really dark gray or toasty brown, my toes though are a different story, right now I have peacook (misspelling intended, you know how MFP likes to edit words:laugh: ) green, sometimes it looks green, sometimes blue.

Lynn:smile: Congrats on the swimming, that's fabulous!!!

Michele:smile: Have you ever cooked fresh brussle sprouts? I love them, sometimes I sautee them in a bit of olive oil and garlic, other times I roast them in the oven, yum! I think a heart rate monitor for Valentines day is a great present!

Barbie:smile: I love leftover salmon on top of a crisp salad the next day!

Gail:smile: Did you have any damage in the storm yesterday! I'm happy to report all my trees are still standing!

Amanda:smile: Love the new profile pic! Have a great time with your family, and fun playing with those grand twins!

Well... I'm hoping this will post....holding my breath.....

Hugs,
    DeeDee in windy and cold NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Just wanted to say,you are an awesome group.Thanks for the nice comments and love and support.
    It`s so nice to talk to people who understand and care.
    Luv you guys
    jane:heart:
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Deedee
    didn't notice the other day that we were at 500 post went to post and nothing lost it all.

Jb
    Great poetry

M
    Hubby takes care of the retirement funds but won't be long before he retires. He claims we start camping come May.
    Supper sounded interesting but never heard of red Quinoa.

Tammy
    I kind of knew it was a water retention gain. I've been drinking water with lemon like crazy. Next week i'll take it easy on the water on the Wed. of tops.

Lucy
    Started with a bad year but see you still found good through it all.
    Coming honest with your car was good. The mechanic probably would have told him anyhow.

Laura
    Sure hope to break that barier next week. Been battling to get under 200 for years.
    I need to get brussel sprouts I love them but never buy them.
    That's a healthy way to have your burger.

Katla
    I can see where hubby would have a hard time to exercise with MS. An A+ for trying.
    Darn belly fat why is it the last to leave.

Jodios
    Don't give up keep with it.

Allison
    Don't matter what course you take as long as you enjoy it.
    Hope the trainer takes it easy on you.

Judy
    Your new job sounds interesting sure you will enjoy it.
    Sell the chips don't eat them lol.

Jane
    Hubby got me a pedometer works fine for him. It won't count half my steps. He says I walk to light .
    Hello at 200 lbs it should count my steps lol.
    Yes morning weight much lighter than night.
    I should try to stay off the scale. But it's an obsession with me.

Karen
    Congrats on your first 5 lbs.

Robin
    Stay strong tomorrow is Friday.

M
    Wow you sure had to work hard to lose. But hey you did it.
    A true example of hard work pays off.

Well today wasn't my best day I kind of let last night bother me. But it wasn't all bad did get at least 30 min. of balance and yoga with the wii. So that's a little bit anyhow.
    Didn't go over the calories that my fitness pal allows but very close.
    Tomorrow will be better.

I still say weather plays a big part in all this. It's cold got up to a buried car and at least two feet of snow. Kind of depressing.
    tomorrow is very cold to. But I have to get thinking spring is one day closer.

see you all lighter
    Linda C In stormy Nortern Ontario.