WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    thanks for welcoming me to your group! I've been looking through and you guys are amazing. I don't know how I'll keep up with all of these posts but I'll do my best.
    so my name is Jodi. I live north of Chicago.
    Suebdew - you said I'll learn about myself and I sure have - I'm not nearly as patient and laid back as I am in other parts of my life and feeling this frustrated is something I'm going to have to come to grips with. You see I am doing what they tell you: measuring everything out (my measuring cups have never gotten such a work out before), doing a variety of workouts, pushing myself, logging every morsel that crosses my lips.
    part of my issue is I'm doing this with my husband who has dropped 6 lbs (and looking very good I might add). While he says I'm looking better the scale is just not budging.
    thanks for all the support - it will definitely help keep me going! the darn weight has to start coming off sometime right!
    Well I've got to make dinner - I"ll see what in Cooking Light strikes my fancy
    Thanks again!!!:love::love: :love:
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Ladies how can I get in on Rennes Saturday challenges.?
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I just got my test results.TSH is normal,however the vit d is low.I looked it up.Being low in Vit d can play havoc with the body.
    Have a good night.
    HUGS
    jane
  • mouth5667
    Options
    I'm here for just a minute. First, I'M A GRANDMOTHER!!!! Caleb was born at 1:55 this morning. His poor mommy was soooooooo tired. Over 24 hours of labor, and still ended up with a c-section. I worked all day today on less than 4 hours sleep. I'm heading to bed early tonight. Second, I just ate a bowl full of gooey marshmallow goodness and I am going to regret it later but oh boy!:ohwell:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: As some of you have noticed, I've become obsessed with reading books about health, fitness, weight loss, and happiness and I've learned a lot...most of them advocate taking baby steps and making small changes and not jumping from plan to plan......only one of the books had a 14 day plan that advocated changing about everything in your life in two weeks :laugh: that was my least favorite and the one you won't ever see me mention.

:flowerforyou: this is the last day of the month....i survived the dentist this afternoon (it was no big deal but I'm a baby about the dentist).....actually the woman who did the deep cleaning on my teeth ( I still have my wisdom teeth so cleaning is a big deal) did such a gentle job that I fell asleep....the reason I mention the last day of the month is that I'll be posting the new thread for February later this evening....I'll post the link at the bottom of this thread so you can all find us again.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: the way I've dealt with maintaining my weight was to change nothing except to occasionally have a day when I don't log my food and I eat some things I might not normally eat........but I stay away from all the things that I am not able to control
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Jackie - I love golden beets. how I wish they were available all the time.

jodios - sometimes it takes your body a while to catch up with what you're doing. Also, I've found that FOR ME, if I have something at night, even something healthy, I can be guaranteed of a gain the next day. Never fails. It WILL come off.

katla - if you're going to do situps (which is commendable), be sure you also work your back muscles. These are the opposing muscles to the abs. As I'm sure you know, you can't spot reduce. The best thing is diet and exercise.

katla - have fun with your DIL

Amanda - I call chin wagging "exercising my jaw"....lol

The weather has been absolutely crazy here. Last week I was so cold that I was wearing my heavier winter coat. Yesterday, I wasn't even wearing a jacket. Today it's gotten colder so I'm wearing my light jacket. I understand that it's supposed to get even colder tomorrow. Oh, funsville. We had REAL high winds last night, the power went out for a second.

Did 1-1/4 hr of Jillian Michaels Killer Bun and Thighs DVD today, then went to the dentist, then to Office Max to get a letter scanned in and sent for translation, then a bit of food shopping, then to a clothing store just to see what they had. I didn't have a coupon and things weren't much on sale, but I did find a pair of shoes 70% off. Admitted, they are summer shoes. Not sure that I really like them, so I charged them. Then home, then we went to pick up Lexi at the vets. Vince took Lexi to get her teeth cleaned while I was at the dentist and Loki for his rabies shot. He brought Loki home but we had to go pick up Lexi. On the way there, we stopped at PetSmart to get more pill pockets.

Linda C - you'll lose that .2. You're so determined, it will probably be afraid to stay on you...lol One thing I have found when you cook the turkey breast side down, no, it doesn't look as pretty as when you have a nicely browned bird on the platter. I would guess that you probably could (if you really wanted to) turn the turkey right side up for the last 15 minutes or so just to brown the skin. But I don't want the skin anyway, so I really don't care what color it is.

DeeDee - I was working on a post. Unfortunately, I hadn't saved it yet, and then there was a power interruption, just enough to lose what I'd started to write. So I had to go back and redo everything. Did you make out OK?

jb - I love to read what you write! You're such an excellent writer!

M - today was our trash pick up day. So it was out in the high wind last night. Fortunately, the recyclable container is low to the ground and I had the papers in there to help weigh it down. The wind did blow open the garbage can, tho.

Jane - I can't imagine anyone on here defriending you just because you're struggling. We all struggle at time. That's part of life. Then we have victories. It's good to share problems and victories. You know what they say "a problem shared is a problem halved".

OK - where did January go?????

tammy - good for you on the course!

Lucy - so sorry to hear about your car! Like they say "bad things come in threes" so hopefully you're done. How wonderful that the car repair place was so honest. That's sometimes hard to find.

Judy - deep water is just exercising in the deep end of the pool. No, I don't go under water. Then my hair would get all wet and I'd have to dry it before I could go out. I like the deep water class because there is no pressure on the joints at all. But you can get a very good workout (especially upper body). The class is offered three times/week, but there's no way I could take it three times. I have too short an attention span. Occasionally, very occasionally, I'll swim laps. If something comes up and I can't stay for the entire class, then I'll swim laps or if the class is cancelled for some reason. I am looking forward to being able to use my pool this summer

Karen - what a handsome husband you have! You're definitely improving

I tried reading the posts from the last one upwards, and it was just too confusing for me. People were referrencing things that they'd read previously and I had no clue whatsoever what was being said so I went back to where I left off.

allison - I looked for the golden beets in the grocery, and all I could find were the red beets. I love the golden ones. Anyway, I asked someone once about them and they told me (which makes sense, sort-of) that the public perception is that beets are red so that's why they carry the red beets.

Robin - here's my shoulder to cry on. How I wish I could make things get better for you

M - that flat screen will keep you occupied for a long time. You'll probably wind up exercising for longer because time will just fly by. Thanks for your story of losing weight. It's good to know that you went for over 4 years without losing any weight. I don't seem to be losing and it's been over 4 years for me. Always in the same weight range (130-135). Maybe once I start amping up the exercise, then I'll lose. Now I'm sure one of the reasons I'm not losing right now is because I'm not working as hard as I usually do since I'm trying to "baby" my achilles. However, it is getting better. I still feel a "pull" in the back of my ankle, but I can walk so much better now. I might try ramping up my exercise slowly but surely. Tomorrow I'll do some walking on the treadmill. A week ago I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that. But I'll give it a try tomorrow.

brookrd - this group that you found, is it a group by where you live or is it a group here on MFP?

Sue in TX - after the dentist and my other running around, I got home and Vince had taken a message for me. It was from this gal at one of the branches of the Y hear me. She said that they were at 70% of their goal which is awesome. But she also said to Vince "oh, and we really like and appreciate all the cookies"....lol I'm going there tomorrow to walk on the treadmill and I'll take some of the oatmeal sunflower bars with me. Less for me to eat, that's the way I look at it. There's no way on this green earth that Vince would eat it.

DeeDee - I've never cooked brussel sprouts myself -- mainly because I honestly don't know how and something in me just didn't want to because of my bad experience the first time, I just was never interested in following thru.

jodios - the 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 3/4, 1 cup markings on my measuring cups keeps rubbing off so I need to mark them reguarly. Even tho I use permanent marker, it still fades away. I very seldom put my cups in the dishwasher, they wear away from use.

jane - I usually take a vitamin D suppliment. You are right, Vit. D plays a part in so much.

mouth - CONGRATS!!!! I know one baby who will be spoiled to death.

barbie - I went to the dentist, too, today to get my teeth cleaned. I have two of my wisdom teeth. The hygenist tells me that they are so far back that it's hard to get them cleaned. Do you have all 4?

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    janaemartin- When I started this journey, my doctor tested my vit. D level and it was very low. She put me on a high dose and now it is in the normal range. She told me that it is one of the things that can make it difficult to lose weight. I do feel better. Hope you find what works best for you.
    Deb A in CNY
  • nursied
    nursied Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am new and over 50!!
    Where do you find challenges which I see posted?
    Hi, everyone.
  • nursied
    nursied Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Jodi, I am originally from Chicago. Went to school on the north side.
    Nice to meet you and all the nice women here
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy - what a cold, windy day! The tornado they had in Adairsville, GA is not too far from where we live. Feel so sorry for those folks. We did not have any damage. We had over 7" of rain in January - yikes!

Ended up late at the office again tonight. We really need more help. Because it was already later I didn't go to the gym after work. I did get out to run errands at lunch. They were all in one shopping area, so I parked and walked between everything. Got in about 30-35 minutes of walking, so that was something anyway. I've been on a hunt for king-size quilted pillow shams for the guest room... at a reasonable price. Have not had any success thus far in a reasonable price range. I have a JoAnn's gift card from Christmas so perhaps will go there on the weekend to see what I can find. I'm seriously thinking about using a mattress pad I have on hand to make my own and using the same trim as on the curtains.

I have not been losing inches or pounds of late either. In search of little NSVs daily to keep me motivated. Sunday I noticed more definition in my arm muscles, today I was appreciating my heavy coat has plenty of room in it - which it did not when I purchased it in 2010. Buttoning it was uncomfortable when I got it, so that is something, too.

I want to sleep a lot right now, too -- even set up a second morning alarm on my phone. It isn't like me to feel so sluggish. DH says it is because there isn't enough time between my leaving the office and returning to it. I have my to-do list for home each weekend and don't finish it. Then I think I'll do one thing each night, and I don't do that either.

One of my nephews is getting married in April so I need to go dress shopping soon. I'm inclined to get something that can be dressed up or down, rather than a 'party' type dress. I wear slacks and blouses all the time now. So much more convenient and comfortable to me.

Everyone struggles, lapses and refocuses...be kind to yourself. We all need grace and none of us are perfect, just keep at it.

Welcome to the all the new gals -- sit down and chat, return as you are able.

Heading to bed....
    Gail, metro Atlanta
  • barbaraaloska
    barbaraaloska Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Please know that I am readying everyone's post, trying to get a handle on who you all are, and so very grateful that I found this group. I will jump in when I have a better sense of whom I am referring to..:blushing:

For today, I DID get back on the Airdyne, struggled some because my legs were weak and sore from yesterday, wanted to stop at 3 minutes and refused...I keep going and pushed myself and cranked off over ten minutes!!

And that was after having a cortisone injection in my right ankle.....:noway:

Made Thai Lettuce Wraps for dinner tonight, ground turkey seasoned with ginger, lemon grass, garlic, tamari, and fish sauce, with butter lettuce for the wraps and dishes of shredded red cabbage, carrots, cilantro, scallions, chopped dry roasted peanuts...with sweet chili sauce and peanut sauce for added punch.....so good and so healthy, my favorite part of this meal...Its sooo colorful!!

Barbara Ann in Sequim Wa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jodlos528: Keep on and have faith. This business takes as much time to work as it takes. Sometimes there are long delays between losses on the scale, but your body is still working on getting healthier.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Suebdw: Can anyone tell me why when I do a word document and copy and press Command C (Mac) the go to the reply box and Command v I get several copies of my post?

Nope. I just used that exact command string to copy and paste your question. It worked perfectly. Is your keypad completely clear or is there something pressing on a key somewhere? I have no other ideas.:ohwell:

mouth 5667:Congratulations on the birth of your grandson!!!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thanks for the exercise question responses. I think I'll stick with the cardio and portion control, and let weight loss do its magic for now. If I want to work out, I think I might work with a trainer for a while, but that is future business.

Thanks for all the Vitamin F. See you in February.:wink::wink: :wink:

Katla from NW Oregon
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hey, You can always start by running in water---in a pool---even wearing running shoes in the pool. It is a great workout without hurting your joints while you bring your weight down. Running is one of the biggest joys in my life--mostly I run on trails, but when I've been injured I've run in a pool and it is great. Enjoy!
  • mch1956
    mch1956 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Happy last day of January - the month seemed to go by so quickly. I made my goal of 100 miles from my fitbit and recumbent bike (125mi). Tomorrow is a new month and new goals.
    Keep coming back,
    MaryC from SE WI
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: I just posted the new thread for February

here is the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/876085-women-ages-50-for-february-2013
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :laugh: end of January. How did THAT happen!!!

:flowerforyou: Watch out for tomorrow's post for Saturday's veggie challenge. I've been too busy this week to respond to anyone else's posts.

:flowerforyou: February...here we come :drinker: :drinker:

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm not the first one to think this but I think my scale is broken. It said I gained 2 pounds today. I know I've not really been - eating "losing" calories, but I've still been eating just under my maintenance calories - in fact my net calories for the week were where they needed to be. So mathematically I know I did not eat an extra 7000 calories this week. I didn't eat my salmon last night. This is just discouraging. My ticker hasn't moved in a month. And now it says I should move in the other direction??? Damn.:sad:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    here is the link to the new thread for February

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/876085-women-ages-50-for-february-2013
    [/quote]
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Sue
    It's kind of fun to have a face to go with a name I met two internet friends in my travels.

Deedee
    I have the diet fresca in my downstairs fridge. Don't have much but I know it's there if I want it.

Jodios
    Welcome. Join right in and don't let hubby's weight loss bother you.
    Yours will come in due time.

Jane
    That's great news. Maybe all you needed was Vit. D. It helps with depression. And maybe that's what you need is a little boost.
    Now pick up and do the best of your abilities. Maybe it's time to let other volunteers do the baking. I know I can't bake and not have some.

Mouth
    Congrats i'm jealous I want a baby. Don't let the marshmallows bother you. They were only part of your celebrations.

Barbie
    I always liked the story of the rare and tortoise story. Just a proof that baby steps do work.

Michele
    I carve my turkey place it on the my platter. Looks nice and no need to fight with it at the table.
    Michele time you invest in the one cup 1/2 cup measuring cups.

Yoyo
    I never paid attention to the vitamin D I always thought it was for sunshine and depression. Never was told it could help with weight loss.

Nusied
    Welcome. To the chattiest bunch and be careful not to get an overdose of vit. F

Gail
    Like the idea of making your own shams. They would be the perfect match to your curtains.
    I like to wear dress pants and a nice blouse for weddings I just hate having clothes hanging in the closet gathering dust.

Barbara
    Great pushing yourself to the limit.
    Love wraps and yours sound special.

Katla
    Cardio and food sounds like a good plan to me.

Well after nine and time to get on with my day. I slept well and my blood sugar thanked me this morning seen a 5.6 my lowest reading in the morning since I started. So sleeping has a lot to do with it.
    So going to make today the best I can.
    My first morning without weigh in going to try to wait until Monday see if I can.
    But still have to remain good.

See you lighter
    Linda C in Northern Ontario Sunny today.
  • I was 198.8 yesterday and today am 200 pounds. I did not overeat!!! This is discouraging. :(