New Year's Eve on MFP

Options

Replies

• Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm sick, so i'll be on the couch all night.
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    At home with the hubby and kiddos, watching anime and playing games :happy:
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'll be here with three bottles of wine and some video games. :drinker:

With 3 bottles, you could at least offer us a glass! :drinker:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

True! Well here is the offer!
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options

True! Well here is the offer!

Yay!! Water and coffee are just not cutting it. lol
  • ekkand
    ekkand Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Face timing my husband and sitting in bed alone. He is deployed so its the only way I'd want to spend it
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Right now, we're watching the 2nd half of the LSU/Clemson bowl game. Then, we'll probably watch re-runs of The Big Bang Theory til we go to bed. Yep, we're exciting!
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options
    Right now, we're watching the 2nd half of the LSU/Clemson bowl game. Then, we'll probably watch re-runs of The Big Bang Theory til we go to bed. Yep, we're exciting!

I'm watching the LSU/Clemson game too. Geaux Tigers!! I'm a diehard Carolina Gamecock fan so I root for 1) Carolina 2) SEC teams 3) Whoever is playing Clemson. :laugh:
  • BigRich822
    Options
    Ice Cream Sundies with my baby girls and then watching the ball drop and going to bed. Then straight to the gym in the morn.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    We were going to have a small party but the husband is under the weather and I had to cancel this afternoon. We are NOT the kind of people who cancel either.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I am staying in due to feeling not so hot. Happy New Years MFP!!!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,117 Member
    Options

My husband is from PA and he likes pork and sauerkraut on New Year. I'm from South Carolina and we do black eyed peas and rice cooked together (called "hoppin' john" ...don't ask me why)and some kind of greens. We aren't having either one tomorrow. I'm just not feelin' it.

I was just thinking of making black eyed peas and rice tomorrow........got a bag of greens too! Problem is, I've never made this before and I've got no recipe........was gonna wing it!

The peas and rice are pretty easy. If you're using dry peas, you want to cook them first and season them with something like bacon (rendered in the bottom of the pot first) and be sure to salt them well. Measure the liquid in your peas and add your rice...and you may have to add salt again. You want to have more liquid to rice ratio than you normally would .... otherwise it will be dry.

Hey thank you so much. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
  • chubbotz2013
    Options
    Reposted below
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,117 Member
    Options
    Gotta love MFP====everyone's so helpful. :-}
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    im stuck working till midnight :grumble:
  • todd6977
    todd6977 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    lonely and depressed
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options
    lonely and depressed

Awwww....I'm sorry to hear that. :flowerforyou: Everyone here is asleep now so I'm just passing the time until I feel like going to bed too. Might pull out a good book in a bit.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    lonely and depressed

We're here for you, Todd! :flowerforyou:

....sending FR....
  • chubbotz2013
    Options

My husband is from PA and he likes pork and sauerkraut on New Year. I'm from South Carolina and we do black eyed peas and rice cooked together (called "hoppin' john" ...don't ask me why)and some kind of greens. We aren't having either one tomorrow. I'm just not feelin' it.

I was just thinking of making black eyed peas and rice tomorrow........got a bag of greens too! Problem is, I've never made this before and I've got no recipe........was gonna wing it!

The peas and rice are pretty easy. If you're using dry peas, you want to cook them first and season them with something like bacon (rendered in the bottom of the pot first) and be sure to salt them well. Measure the liquid in your peas and add your rice...and you may have to add salt again. You want to have more liquid to rice ratio than you normally would .... otherwise it will be dry.

Hey thank you so much. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Mon 12/31/12 08:04 PM

I'm from NE Ohio originally, right on the border with PA in the Applichian foothills. I am used to eating the pork and sauerkraut as well. However, Hoppin John is a staple backhome as well. Normally this is how I make it:

Brown whole grain rice (I like to use success rice) - 2 bags
    Frozen blackeyed peas - 12 oz
    Vidalia Sweet onion - 1 large
    Bacon (now I would recommend you use lean turkey bacon) - 4 to 12 oz dependent upon the number of people (3 oz per person, ie. 1 strip = 1 oz) I used to use fatback but not since I have been trying to lose weight.
    Healthy Oil (since you are not using fatback you can use a tablespoon of olive oil)
    Black pepper
    Garlic (fresh minced 1/2 clove or power)
    Cayenne (teaspoon)
    Salt (to taste)
    Tabasco

First things first. Simmer the blackeyed peas until about 1 minute from being done - firm but soft.
    Simmer the rice till done and if you use the Success brown rice drain and set aside.
    Next, mince the bacon and the raw onion with the garlic. Heat a pan with the olive oil and saute the bacon and onion until the onion is a bit translucent - about 3 minutes as if you were starting to make redeye gravy.
    Now throw in the blackeyed peas and saute for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Add in the black pepper and Cayenne
    The beans will start to get softer, and brown slighly.
    Finally, throw in the brown rice and saute on medium low about 5 to 10 more minutes. About 3 minutes from completion add tabasco and a light dash of salt.

Serve hot and Enjoy. If you use all the ingredients it would serve 3-4.
  • m8605
    m8605 Posts: 102
    Options
    lonely and depressed

join the club mate