everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I will try logging in everyday....and increase my cals. again in the past when I have done that I always see an increase in weight...maybe I have to give it longer than a week to see a chg ???
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I will try logging in everyday....and increase my cals. again in the past when I have done that I always see an increase in weight...maybe I have to give it longer than a week to see a chg ???

Good grief yes, that has been stated many times by many different people, 1 week isn't enough data points, especially with you probably weighing on invalid days for actually even having a valid data point.

Always do the math to know what cannot possibly be going on, and you should probably throw away the scale you are way too tied to.

If you gained 2 lbs in a week, if you really thought it was fat weight, 2 x 3500 / 7 days = 1000 calories over maintenance daily.

Now, if you ate a whole 250 more calories daily - is there any way possible for you to now suddenly achieved 1000 calories OVER maintenance or TDEE level daily?
    No, impossible.

Even if you want to pretend and say your metabolism was slower because of undereating, such you really were eating at maintenance already, then eating 250 calories more daily would only cause 1 lb gain over 2 whole weeks. And that's if your metabolism didn't actually speed up during that whole 2 weeks.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Yes. That's actually exactly what we've been saying. But really, if you want to loose "flab", your best bet might be to back off the cardio and add some more strength training in. Whatever changes you make, give it at least 1 month to start taking effect, and don't weigh yourself daily. Pick one day a week and weigh yourself on that day only, at the same time of day with the same scale and conditions (i.e. in the morning, naked, on your bathroom scale).
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Put the scale away...
  • cvcman
    Options
    Ok relax, I dont want your BP going thru the roof.....
  • cvcman
    Options
    Why would the lifting kill the flab ?? And what style of lifting ??? bench press ??? And how often ??? Again my legs are thin and muscle as is everything else except the belly flab...if you see me with my shirt on like in my profile pic I look skinny...without a shirt not so much :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Why would the lifting kill the flab ?? And what style of lifting ??? bench press ??? And how often ??? Again my legs are thin and muscle as is everything else except the belly flab...if you see me with my shirt on like in my profile pic I look skinny...without a shirt not so much :)

Lifting "heavy" for you. Meaning you try to do 3 sets x 10 reps and by the last rep or 2 you would fail using good form, which should never suffer.
    Should be using biggest muscles first, so legs, chest, back, the arms automatically get worked out doing that.

Why does it kill flab when eating at maintenance?

Lifting to overload is asking your body to improve so it can do better next time.
    Improve means get the muscle strong, and then make more of it.
    So your food intake will go to that purpose mainly, meaning your fat is called on to provide energy for other stuff more often than otherwise.

Now, lifting doesn't burn as much as cardio does for equal amounts of time - during the workout.
    But lifting burns more 24-36 hrs post workout during the recovery/repair process, whereas cardio has some afterburn effects for short time, but much less.

3 times weekly is prime. Select a Full body workout, push/pull style.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html
  • cvcman
    Options
    Ok here is what I did tonight...

1) Bench press 85 pounds ( I know pretty light ) 3 sets of 10

2) Leg press 130 pounds 3 sets of 10

3) Pulldowns 130 pounds 3 sets of 10

this is in addition to my biking this morning of 20 miles at a rate of 18mph in the heat and humidity :)

Check my diary.....I figure my legs are prety strong from all the running and biking I do....If weather permits I will do my normal 5 mile run in the morning...if not Tabatas HIT on the stationary bike indoors :(
  • cvcman
    Options
    are these weights a good start
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You need to challenge your muscles. If they feels too light or if you can finish those reps without trying, the weights are indeed too light.

Edited to add that form needs to be kept to prevent needless injuries.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I will start by doing 3 days a week and increasing by 10 pounds every time if i can
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I will start by doing 3 days a week and increasing by 10 pounds every time if i can

You'll stall by the 2nd week doing that. Find a weight that is hard to get all 10 reps of. If you can't get all 10 reps for all sets, stick with the weight until you can. Then add 5lbs. Repeat. You'd be better off doing a proven program like Stronglifts or another basic program that uses compound lifts like squat, deadlift, row, bench, overhead press.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

You'll stall by the 2nd week doing that. Find a weight that is hard to get all 10 reps of. If you can't get all 10 reps for all sets, stick with the weight until you can. Then add 5lbs. Repeat. You'd be better off doing a proven program like Stronglifts or another basic program that uses compound lifts like squat, deadlift, row, bench, overhead press.

This is good advice^
  • cvcman
    Options
    so when I have the bech press at 110 and I can only do 8 reps...KEEP it there ?? Then when I ca do all 10 resp, 3 sets of each go up 5 pounds ?? I have to go 10 at a time due to my machines weight plates...

Check my diary my weight is still like a yo-yo...guess thats normal....I may just weigh in on Thursdays as that is always my low day :)
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    so when I have the bech press at 110 and I can only do 8 reps...KEEP it there ?? Then when I ca do all 10 resp, 3 sets of each go up 5 pounds ?? I have to go 10 at a time due to my machines weight plates...

Check my diary my weight is still like a yo-yo...guess thats normal....I may just weigh in on Thursdays as that is always my low day :)

Yes, if you can only do 8, keep working til you get 10. Then add the 10lbs if that's what your machine lets you do, and work back up to getting 3 sets of 10. Maybe you can only get 5-6-7 reps per set when you add the 10lbs, but as you keep working on it the reps will get there.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Yes, if you can only do 8, keep working til you get 10. Then add the 10lbs if that's what your machine lets you do, and work back up to getting 3 sets of 10. Maybe you can only get 5-6-7 reps per set when you add the 10lbs, but as you keep working on it the reps will get there.

Also, look around the machine. There is often a small weight that is designed to be stacked on top of the stack that is smaller than the 10lbs. There are lots of ways to measure progress, so increasing reps until you "master" a specific weight still shows the progress and that you're getting stronger. Don't get frustrated if you aren't able to do "complete sets" when you start increasing weight.
  • cvcman
    Options
    Yea there are no add on weights, its my machine...Its a Marcy EM1 and 2.....
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    You could go to a sporting goods store and get a 5lb plate or dumbbell and hook it on there with a rope or bungee cord if you find the 10lb jumps are too much. 10lb jumps can be a lot for upper body work.