everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options
Ok I flatlined at 140 / 141 which is fine..I workout everyday..mostly cardio, weights fro upper body 3 times a week, Tabata HIT 3 times a week, then either run, bike, cross country ski for an hour every other day...I dont do my diary everyday because I eat the same things week after week...but every time I splurge a little like last night...few slices of pizza and 4 chicken wings and 1 beer...up 2 pounds the next day...
So IF I eat more to jump start and loose more I feel I will GAIN weight...maybe I shouldnt be doing cardio to loose weight maybe a few days of lower heart rate stuff ????

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Could be lots of things - pizza and chicken wings are high in sodium which can cause water retention.

"Eat more to weigh less" is obviously a shorthand, it's not just a case of consuming more automatically leading to weight loss: it means making sure you eat enough to stop your metabolism stalling, and enough of the right things.

What's your height? Is 140 far from your final target?
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Your weight gain this AM was most likely from the weight of the food/drink still in your system and water retention since those items are most likely high in sodium. To gain an actual 2 pounds of fat/muscle/body weight, you would have to have eaten 7000 calories over your TDEE.
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    Ok I flatlined at 140 / 141 which is fine..I workout everyday..mostly cardio, weights fro upper body 3 times a week, Tabata HIT 3 times a week, then either run, bike, cross country ski for an hour every other day...I dont do my diary everyday because I eat the same things week after week...but every time I splurge a little like last night...few slices of pizza and 4 chicken wings and 1 beer...up 2 pounds the next day...
    So IF I eat more to jump start and loose more I feel I will GAIN weight...maybe I shouldnt be doing cardio to loose weight maybe a few days of lower heart rate stuff ????

You are carrying water weight...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Well, weighing oneself the next day and complaining of weight gain after eating and especially carb centric foods while dieting ( constant glycogen depletion is normal when dieting) water is going to absorbed as well as the weight of the food you consumed. Losing weight is not linear and what you need to do is look at trends over time and make adjustments according to your goals.
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    im 53 yr old male...height is about 5'8" tall
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    "Eat more to weigh less" is not bs just because you're horrified that you're retaining 2lbs of water weight after a night of binging and eating crap. It is an idea based on a plan to eat at a deficit, but not as severe of a deficit as a lot of people think they need (trying to lose too fast can be hard to sustain). Often, it's recommended to eat at maintenance for a few weeks or months to kind of "reset" and then start decreasing until you reach an appropriate deficit based on your TDEE. Often people will gain a few pounds when starting, and then they start dropping it again.

If you would like to learn more about the actual program, you can read more about it here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you want to throw up your hands and call valid techniques bs in a temper tantrum, please continue.
  • cvcman
    Options
    auddi, did someone pee in your Wheaties ? I wasnt having a "temper tantrum" I was just stating that I HAVE tried the eating more and it doesnt work for me...everytime I try it I gain !!!! I wasnt JUST basing it on last nights bing......
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Your sudden increase in weight today is probably from sodium more than from fat.

if you eat a lot of the same things every day--try changing things up to get things going again.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    im 53 yr old male...height is about 5'8" tall
    You are at the lower end of a healthy weight - why do you need to lose more? Cut down on the cardio, you need to keep some muscle.... And you are retaining water - don't weigh yourself the morning after you ate high carb high sodium food....
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, 5'8 male at 140 lbs? What are you aiming for?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    auddi, did someone pee in your Wheaties ? I wasnt having a "temper tantrum" I was just stating that I HAVE tried the eating more and it doesnt work for me...everytime I try it I gain !!!! I wasnt JUST basing it on last nights bing......

She's just reacting to your anxiety laden first post.

Why do you feel a need to lose more? 5'8" and 140 for a male is 21% BF - healthy on the BMI table. Why don't you try to add some muscle at this point?
  • cvcman
    Options
    just trying to stay at 140....and eat ice cream everyday :) kidding...just trying to keep fit...dont want to loose anymore but dont want to gain either...I understand the sodium and water weight....

My last blood work 2 weeks ago was

HDL= 120
    LDL= 80
    Trygl. = 50

so my Dr is pretty pleased to say the least ! I would think with the workout and cardio I do I could eat anything and burn it off...probably not though
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest reading that link before getting too defensive. You haven't logged regularly in over a month and that makes it hard for people to properly offer advice (little to work with) I looked at your diary going back to Nov 27. 2 days of logging in that time frame, and both days you had 1000 +calories remaining. This seems to me you don't have a grasp on what are you exactly eating. So maybe by eating more regularly, you ARE gaining weight because you're eating more than you should to lose what you want. Your goal right now is 1800 calories. You eat back your exercise calories.

So what ARE You eating? The people who say eat more to lose more are likely geared towards those who are eating 12/1300 calories, exercising and not eating it back and then wondering why they're stalled. So people advise EAT MORE.

With your 1800 calories, are you eating that? I'd suggest getting back to tracking and seeing what you are eating instead of assuming.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options

so my Dr is pretty pleased to say the least ! I would think with the workout and cardio I do I could eat anything and burn it off...probably not though

:laugh: Good luck with that!! I cleaned up my food to almost perfect for a while. I found I could still gain weight on vegetables and lean meat.

You can't out-exercise over-eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    2 Lbs either up or down in a day is water, plain and simple. Look how much sodium is in a slice of pizza....at some places, it's very close to 100% of your DV...wings as well...the sauces have a lot of sodium. I used to make this awesome wing sauce with a whole stick of salted butter...plus the hot sauce that goes into it...worschestershire, etc and it comes at right around 2,000 MG of sodium.

It's the sodium causing water retention. Never weigh yourself after a heavy sodium day or when your muscles are sore or fatigued because you will be retaining water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    "Eat more to weigh less" is not bs just because you're horrified that you're retaining 2lbs of water weight after a night of binging and eating crap. It is an idea based on a plan to eat at a deficit, but not as severe of a deficit as a lot of people think they need (trying to lose too fast can be hard to sustain). Often, it's recommended to eat at maintenance for a few weeks or months to kind of "reset" and then start decreasing until you reach an appropriate deficit based on your TDEE. Often people will gain a few pounds when starting, and then they start dropping it again.

If you would like to learn more about the actual program, you can read more about it here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you want to throw up your hands and call valid techniques bs in a temper tantrum, please continue.

Also this^^^^.

I actually eat to maintenance or even over, one day every couple of weeks or so (on purpose). And I consistently lose about 1.2-1.5 Lbs per week.

Also OP...being at the low end of healthy weight, you really don't need to lose anymore and your body is going to make it very difficult for you to do so...your body is smart and knows that it doesn't want to lose anymore. Start lifting and putting on some muscle to change body composition at this point; I'm assuming that you're not happy with composition and that's why you think you need to lose more. You can actually gain some muscle and put on weight and you'll look more fit. There are plenty of pictures of people at XXX Lbs (skinny fat)...and then 5-10 Lbs more with muscle and they look fabulous.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You gained weight because of all the sodium in your food. You didn't gain fat.

The eat-more-to-lose-more theory is for people on very low calorie diets who have plateaued.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is not linear and what you need to do is look at trends over time and make adjustments according to your goals.

^^THIS
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain two pounds of fat unless you ate upwards of 9000 calories last night.

Eat more to weigh less doesn't mean "eat whatever you want and still lose weight" (though of course a treat every now and then is fine!) It's the concept that you don't have to be on a super-low calorie diet to lose weight. Most of the people eating 1200 calories and losing could lose just as well on 1500 calories, but they don't realize it.
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It is true if you eat the right things..you need to watch your sodium too