everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Okay I know I'm not a role model for fitness but I believe you aren't acting in a healthy way. At 5' 8" your on the low side for weight, so dropping more weight would be bad. You could stand to gain a few pounds of muscle. I'm 5' 3" and female and I lose weight on close to 1800 calories a day. I run, I walk, and starting here shortly I'll be lifting too. The point isn't to be skinny it's to be healthy. EAT some healthy food, not several slices of pizza and wings and then wonder why your up two pounds overnight. Lean protein and veggies, healthy carbs etc. And I second the bit about acting like an 18 year old girl. Quit it.

PLEASE try to read BEFORE posting...I understand why the 2 pound gain when a night of a few slices of pizza and a couple wings happened I GOT THAT....Now IF you would TRY to understand....when I got to MFP and log in I eat the same things and work out the same EVERY week...and it tells me..."if you eat this way you wil weight 130 pounds in 3 weeks" well MY POINT is I have stayed the same weight ... I am FINE with my weight where it is and I AM HEALTHY weather you think so or not...my Dr is the one I listen to on my overall health...dont just go by charts that say what you should weigh...I have lean muscle...my arms are toned and solid...my legs the same...
    Now if that makes me sound like a 18 yr old girl then you have issues not me...again if nothing positive to offer and if you only read part of my post then just dont respond PLEASE....thx to the people that CAN read and do oofer good advise

I think the problem for you is that MFP and other calculators are probably overestimating your BMR which is the basis for TDEE and MFPs settings, too. BMR and TDEE calculations are generally based on the "average" person. It looks like you may have less LBM than the average 53 year old male at your height and weight. This can be expected if you lost a large amount of weight and did not manage to maintain your LBM along the way. Undereating while overexercising can exacerbate the LBM loss. Your TDEE multiplier factor may not be as high as you would think, either, because your exertion may not be matching up.

I really don't know where you got 2700+ for your TDEE, either. It looks like your BMR is probably around 1440 if you are an "average" 53 year old man who is 5'8" and 140 lbs. If you lost a lot of LBM when you were losing weight, you probably aren't average. Maybe your BMR is only 1240. Maybe instead of using a high multiplying factor, you have to use a lower one because your exercise isn't as intense as you think it is. Maybe if you did up your calories and keep them up for a few months your BMR and TDEE would go up. There's honestly no way of knowing unless you try it for a prolonged period of time and actually accurately track your intake.

I know you said you generally eat the same things from week to week, but portion creep is very sneaky and not really noticeable as time goes on. If you're off by as little as 10% you are talking 150+ calories per day. Plus, it's really hard to factor in those odd indulgences. Maybe you are thinking you are eating 1600 calories a day based on what you "usually" eat, but are off by 10% + have one day of 3500 calories. Right there your average goes from 1600 to more like 2000. You can't see that, though, if you don't periodically weigh and measure everything and track it accurately.

I hear you but again I DO know and keep very close track of what I eat so im not going over what I sate...also my exercise is 7 days a week..when I bike I do 20 miles in just over an hour...and thats not just flat land riding :) When I run I run 5 miles in 40 minutes...not the fastest but not walking either....so.....
  • cvcman
    Options
    im 53 yr old male...height is about 5'8" tall

I'm a 54 year old woman, 5' 8" and 143 pounds. You, being a man, definitely do not need to lose weight. At this point of your fitness journey you need to transition to maintenance, eating more, and you're probably doing too much cardio. If you're still looking to see more change in your body I would focus on body composition - less cardio and heavy weights or body weight exercises. If you're happy with your results then carry on with what ever you are currently doing.

As far as seeing a slight gain the day after a hefty sodium filled meal...that's totally normal and temporary.

I already said 15 times I know the 2 pound gain after eating that was normal....I GOT IT :)
    again my whole point was this...and I hope everyone reads THIS before telling me AGAIN it was normal to add 2 pounds :)
    I workout EVERYDAY...run, bike, cross country ski, Tabatas, weight lift etc...I eat pretty much the same thing....my weight loss stopped at like 141...which is FINE with me...
    But my question is.....im surprised im not still loosing...everyone says " eat more and you will loose more" thats the part I dont believe because I did that before and I gained..the only thing that got me to loose more was RUNNING and more exercise...MFP tells me I should be eating 1800 cals to maintain..I dont eat that many...but if you factor in my workout it tells me i should be eating more like 2600....
    Look at my diary for yesterday it said I ate 1500 and had 1085 remaining....so I should eat the 1085 IF I wanted to loose weight ???? I understand the concept but dont think it applies to everyone...
    Thanks for the ideas
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    As I said before, your BMR is probably lower than the "average" or expected BMR for a man your height and weight. I've read before that you could take two people, the same age, height and weight and one who has lost a significant amount of weight and the other who had never had a weight problem, and the one who had lost weight will usually have a lower BMR than the one who never had a weight problem. This is probably you. You probably don't burn 800-1000+ calories a day exercising either, especially with such a deficit.

Plus, I really wonder how accurate your food counts are for the day. Did you really have only 3 measured TABLESPOONS of cooked oatmeal for breakfast? Or, did you have 3 T dry oatmeal and cook it (still not much, but more than double the calories). Or, did you just guesstimate? If you really wanted an accurate caloric intake for your day, you should weigh everything you eat, and you should weigh it before you cook it or add anything to it. For example, weigh your dry oatmeal and track it using the nutritinal information on the package. Weigh your raw chicken and use the information from the package, not a random database entry. Using the cooked values for many foods allows for more variation than the raw/uncooked values. Did you really only have a little over a TEASPOON of mozzarella on your salad? If so, what's the point? The only way to have a decent gauge of your BMR/TDEE would to have it tested in a laboratory. You could probably get a reasonable estimate by accurately weighing and tracking everything you eat for quite some time and monitoring your weight from there, but that would take some effort and not be completely correct. Also, I'd be interested to see how many calories you are estimated to be burning by using a HRM instead of just picking the activity.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options

I'm a 54 year old woman, 5' 8" and 143 pounds. You, being a man, definitely do not need to lose weight. At this point of your fitness journey you need to transition to maintenance, eating more, and you're probably doing too much cardio. If you're still looking to see more change in your body I would focus on body composition - less cardio and heavy weights or body weight exercises. If you're happy with your results then carry on with what ever you are currently doing.

As far as seeing a slight gain the day after a hefty sodium filled meal...that's totally normal and temporary.

I already said 15 times I know the 2 pound gain after eating that was normal....I GOT IT :)
    again my whole point was this...and I hope everyone reads THIS before telling me AGAIN it was normal to add 2 pounds :)
    I workout EVERYDAY...run, bike, cross country ski, Tabatas, weight lift etc...I eat pretty much the same thing....my weight loss stopped at like 141...which is FINE with me...
    But my question is.....im surprised im not still loosing...everyone says " eat more and you will loose more" thats the part I dont believe because I did that before and I gained..the only thing that got me to loose more was RUNNING and more exercise...MFP tells me I should be eating 1800 cals to maintain..I dont eat that many...but if you factor in my workout it tells me i should be eating more like 2600....
    Look at my diary for yesterday it said I ate 1500 and had 1085 remaining....so I should eat the 1085 IF I wanted to loose weight ???? I understand the concept but dont think it applies to everyone...
    Thanks for the ideas

We already said 15 times that you should eat more. I WISH YOU WOULD READ THAT.

Why do you insist on the constant repetition of your original point? You don't want to hear the answer. Eat the exercise calories. YOU ARE UNDERFEEDING.

Good luck to you.
  • cvcman
    Options
    As I said before, your BMR is probably lower than the "average" or expected BMR for a man your height and weight. I've read before that you could take two people, the same age, height and weight and one who has lost a significant amount of weight and the other who had never had a weight problem, and the one who had lost weight will usually have a lower BMR than the one who never had a weight problem. This is probably you. You probably don't burn 800-1000+ calories a day exercising either, especially with such a deficit.

Plus, I really wonder how accurate your food counts are for the day. Did you really have only 3 measured TABLESPOONS of cooked oatmeal for breakfast? Or, did you have 3 T dry oatmeal and cook it (still not much, but more than double the calories). Or, did you just guesstimate? If you really wanted an accurate caloric intake for your day, you should weigh everything you eat, and you should weigh it before you cook it or add anything to it. For example, weigh your dry oatmeal and track it using the nutritinal information on the package. Weigh your raw chicken and use the information from the package, not a random database entry. Using the cooked values for many foods allows for more variation than the raw/uncooked values. Did you really only have a little over a TEASPOON of mozzarella on your salad? If so, what's the point? The only way to have a decent gauge of your BMR/TDEE would to have it tested in a laboratory. You could probably get a reasonable estimate by accurately weighing and tracking everything you eat for quite some time and monitoring your weight from there, but that would take some effort and not be completely correct. Also, I'd be interested to see how many calories you are estimated to be burning by using a HRM instead of just picking the activity.

I DO measure my food so YES I know what im eating...The calories burned by my exercise is what this site says...I know I keep my hr above 75%...I wear a hr monitor
  • cvcman
    Options

Thanks for the ideas

We already said 15 times that you should eat more. I WISH YOU WOULD READ THAT.

Why do you insist on the constant repetition of your original point? You don't want to hear the answer. Eat the exercise calories. YOU ARE UNDERFEEDING.

OK...so IF I eat more im going to loose weight according to everyone here...but then everyone says dont loose anymore weight...so would you all say I should eat whenever im hungry ??? That may be 6 times a day... I used to keep a pkg of peanut butter cheese crackers in my car for when I got hungry but then I just quit eating between meals and would be hungry until my next meal...
    I do know this morning I did NOT workout before leaving for work,,,I ate my small bowl of oatmeal and left..a half hour later I felt wishy washie and faint feeling...I ate a couple fireballs ( all I had in my car ) felt a little better but still weak and then real hungry...so I pulled into McDonalds ( something I NEVER do ) got an egg Mcmuffin and ate it...10 minutes later I felt fine...
    I assume this was a low blood sugar thing ???

Good luck to you.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You are undereating and your body is holding on to EVERYTHING you put in to it. If you eat more, yes, you are likely to see a short term gain, but seriously? At your height, you should be looking to gain a little, and work on your LBM instead of all this cardio.

You are not an 18 year old girl with a body image disorder, you are a 53 year old man. Grow up.

(Also, if you actually took the time to learn about EM2LW, it also involves heavy lifting and upping protein, not metric ****loads of cardio and pizza)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas

How long did you start seeing diminishing weight loss on the way down and finally how long with no changes, eating at what you thought should have been a deficit?

How long did you eat more to give your metabolism a chance to recover? You should have allowed the same amount of time.

Now you see why so many fail to move into maintenance. They've ruined their metabolism that they are basically at maintenance already. With very little room for movement of calories. Splurge meal turns into eating surplus and fat gain, instead of just the metabolism increasing for a bit.

It does apply to everyone. Everyone can hammer their metabolism into the ground such that it's much slower than expected, either because of outright slowness, or because of muscle-mass loss and that would be expected, just unknown to the person.
    Or usually a combo of the two. Muscle mass is lost, so metabolism of course goes down from that, but then it goes down even further than expected.

How easy it is to accomplish that depends on genetics and stress the body is willing to deal with, and how many times it's seen the insanity before.
  • BlueDancer
    BlueDancer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I believe that in general, going below 1,000-1,200 will cause a lot of people to go into "starvation mode" quite quickly, especially for a man, but I think it really all depends from person-to-person. I know for me personally, lose best under 800 calories a day, and if I am at a plateau I do better dropping calories from there rather than increasing. But I am an odd situation, because I am a normal weight, yet appear overweight due to genetics/ body shape. I would never advise anyone the same I'd advise myself for this reason. So for you, I'd really suggest upping your intake to include whole grains and more fruits and vegetables, along with additional servings of lean protein, etc.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    First off, I am so sorry you have gotten hammered by the Nazis. This question seems to turn fairly sane people into rabid animals rather quickly. I hope the bloodletting bashing you are enduring dies down soon.

I offer you my empathy. I posted (rather stupidly) on this same topic a bit ago. It did not end well. I wished I hadn't asked.

I have been platuead since Halloween. I have upped my calories, lowered my calories. Added enough gym time to cause massive pain nearly everyday for myself for going on 4 weeks now. Still no movement on the scale. None in Inches lost either.

It's very frustrating.

Congrats on your second chance and you have an incredible docotor for catching that blockage in the nick of time.

I am attempting to make peace with the fact that I probably, the way things look, will never lose another blasted pound and that I am stuck fat, but not as fat as I was last January.

I wish you all the best that 2013 has to offer. I hope your health continues to go well. Only you know what your mental and physical can handle. Trust that alone and stay away from the rabid frenzy feeding inducing questions.
  • cvcman
    Options
    You are undereating and your body is holding on to EVERYTHING you put in to it. If you eat more, yes, you are likely to see a short term gain, but seriously? At your height, you should be looking to gain a little, and work on your LBM instead of all this cardio.

You are not an 18 year old girl with a body image disorder, you are a 53 year old man. Grow up.

(Also, if you actually took the time to learn about EM2LW, it also involves heavy lifting and upping protein, not metric ****loads of cardio and pizza)

Man you have a reading problem too....The pizza and 4 wings was a splurge....A once a month thing and it wasnt LOADS of it either...I eat tons of protein again READ my posts..I eat chicken,turkey, salmon, everyday !!!!! I dont have a body image disorder and again your "grow up comment" is just plain stupid...dont waste time if alll you have to offer is bs..please...
    Your opinion is just that YOUR OPINION...I dont need your comments telling me to grow up when I question this sites calculator info...maybe you need to grow up !
    I do heavy lifting 3 days a week..AGAIN if you took the time to read instead of making your unwanted comments you may know that.
    Again, if nothing positive to offer which its plain to see you dont, just go bug someone else
  • cvcman
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas

How long did you start seeing diminishing weight loss on the way down and finally how long with no changes, eating at what you thought should have been a deficit?

How long did you eat more to give your metabolism a chance to recover? You should have allowed the same amount of time.

Now you see why so many fail to move into maintenance. They've ruined their metabolism that they are basically at maintenance already. With very little room for movement of calories. Splurge meal turns into eating surplus and fat gain, instead of just the metabolism increasing for a bit.

It does apply to everyone. Everyone can hammer their metabolism into the ground such that it's much slower than expected, either because of outright slowness, or because of muscle-mass loss and that would be expected, just unknown to the person.
    Or usually a combo of the two. Muscle mass is lost, so metabolism of course goes down from that, but then it goes down even further than expected.

How easy it is to accomplish that depends on genetics and stress the body is willing to deal with, and how many times it's seen the insanity before.

I noticed my weight flatlining for about the last 6 or so months...I would go up and down 1 to 2 pounds but pretty much stay the same...I always questioned this sites calculator saying " you will eigh 130 pounds after 3 weeks of eating like this " when I completed my daily diary..it just aint so !
    So at this point given my cardio and exercise routine what would YOU suggest I do at this point..Im happy with my weigh, my Dr is happy too...I would like to loose or tighten up some belly flab but other than that im ok...I do get hungry and wishy washie feeling at times during the day...
    Am I ok to keep up my daily workouts or do I need days off..I DONT want to out on weight I would like to stay here
  • cvcman
    Options
    First off, I am so sorry you have gotten hammered by the Nazis. This question seems to turn fairly sane people into rabid animals rather quickly. I hope the bloodletting bashing you are enduring dies down soon.

I offer you my empathy. I posted (rather stupidly) on this same topic a bit ago. It did not end well. I wished I hadn't asked.

I have been platuead since Halloween. I have upped my calories, lowered my calories. Added enough gym time to cause massive pain nearly everyday for myself for going on 4 weeks now. Still no movement on the scale. None in Inches lost either.

It's very frustrating.

Congrats on your second chance and you have an incredible docotor for catching that blockage in the nick of time.

I am attempting to make peace with the fact that I probably, the way things look, will never lose another blasted pound and that I am stuck fat, but not as fat as I was last January.

I wish you all the best that 2013 has to offer. I hope your health continues to go well. Only you know what your mental and physical can handle. Trust that alone and stay away from the rabid frenzy feeding inducing questions.

I dont worry about the "Nazis" they pretty much just like to hear themselves talk and dont take the time to read....They offer no help only critize and name call if you question anything...i will not even take the time to respond to their 2 year old rants anymore.
    Thx for your reply ! Again im fine at my current weight but I do not want to gain any weight, I feel im the same weight as when I got out of high school and im ok with that....I would like to eat more and do wonder IF it will add weigh IF I do..
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    I wasn't trying to bug you I was trying to offer you advice, which you solicited on a public forum. Now granted my spelling is shist but my comprehension is quite good. It seems to me that several people have offered you the same advice and you are either not wanting to hear it or are incapable of understanding it.
    "...I always questioned this sites calculator saying " you will eigh 130 pounds after 3 weeks of eating like this " when I completed my daily diary..it just aint so ! "

If you were an 18 year old female that weighed 89 lbs and ate 900 calories a day and the scale wouldn't budge for six months smart people would tell you that your system needs more calories to be HEALTHY. Do you comprehend......
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

It's very frustrating.

I dont worry about the "Nazis" they pretty much just like to hear themselves talk and dont take the time to read....They offer no help only critize and name call if you question anything...i will not even take the time to respond to their 2 year old rants anymore.
    Thx for your reply ! Again im fine at my current weight but I do not want to gain any weight, I feel im the same weight as when I got out of high school and im ok with that....I would like to eat more and do wonder IF it will add weigh IF I do..

As another poster said you do need to up your calories and yes you may see a little gain for a while then it'll even out but when I upped mine from 1200 anywhere up to 2000 I didn't see an increase. Try upping 100 a day if you are really worried and cut back a bit on the cardio.

Oh and ignore this... "...I always questioned this sites calculator saying " you will eigh 130 pounds after 3 weeks of eating like this " when I completed my daily diary..it just aint so ! " Just forget it's there.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Here's an answer from a registered dietitian so you don't have to take my word for it. BTW, he also confirmed that there is no such thing as starvation mode and your body does not hold onto fat if you eat so little. A registered dietition holds a license that allows him or her to legally work and set food guidelines in a hospital, public school, prison, or anything of that nature.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I wasn't trying to bug you I was trying to offer you advice, which you solicited on a public forum. Now granted my spelling is shist but my comprehension is quite good. It seems to me that several people have offered you the same advice and you are either not wanting to hear it or are incapable of understanding it.
    "...I always questioned this sites calculator saying " you will eigh 130 pounds after 3 weeks of eating like this " when I completed my daily diary..it just aint so ! "

If you were an 18 year old female that weighed 89 lbs and ate 900 calories a day and the scale wouldn't budge for six months smart people would tell you that your system needs more calories to be HEALTHY. Do you comprehend......

One LAST time IF you would read ALL the responses they vary,,,some say eat more others say thats BS so you see YOU dont have all the answers and I DO understand what YOU are TRYING to say
    I am NOT a 18 yr old gril and I did not register as one when I did my diary so your point is mute
  • cvcman
    Options
    Here's an answer from a registered dietitian so you don't have to take my word for it. BTW, he also confirmed that there is no such thing as starvation mode and your body does not hold onto fat if you eat so little. A registered dietition holds a license that allows him or her to legally work and set food guidelines in a hospital, public school, prison, or anything of that nature.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Sorta makes all the name callers and trouble makers that responded " eat more " look not so bright
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    I didn't say I had all the answers and I'd say I read most of the posts, some of them were mostly quotes and "I agree with this". Being needlessly pissy to those who are or were trying to help you just doesn't get you anywhere. And I'll let it go at that because idiocy isn't good for my bp.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I didn't say I had all the answers and I'd say I read most of the posts, some of them were mostly quotes and "I agree with this". Being needlessly pissy to those who are or were trying to help you just doesn't get you anywhere. And I'll let it go at that because idiocy isn't good for my bp.

Good no need for any more info from you..I was not being " pissy" just dont take to your name calling or insinuating comments so pls dont bother responding...and you DIDNT read very well :)