everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'd would just like to say I think it's awesome how much you lost and your dedication to getting slim and healthy. Just need to change things a little now.
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'd would just like to say I think it's awesome how much you lost and your dedication to getting slim and healthy. Just need to change things a little now.

Thank you, the thing about my story that most find interesting is this....I started biking over 2 yrs ago to try and be more active and my wife was into biking. I bought a bike and started riding...then I got hooked...I also dropped 20 pounds off my 198 pound stocky frame..
    A few times while riding and after a trip to Maine riding the mts and mountain climbing I had a funny weird pressure in my center chest..I told my wife and she said " sounds like a muscle pain" So it happened a few more times so I went to my GP..he did blood work..it was great...ekg...great...echo...great...sumed it up as a "pulled muscle"
    Later that week while biking it happened again..I went to a hill and biked up it and the pressure returned...it left when I stopped...I called my GP from the road side and told him I wanted an apt with a cardio Dr...I knew one that was very good...they had me in the next day...repeat tests all looked and sounded great..BUT....he wanted to see me back the next day to do an echo stress test...
    My wife was not going to show up and everyone told me they will find nothing....so i went and I ran and I ran and I ran...kept my hr at 160....no pain..did the echo..called me in his office...2 hrs later at the local heart hospital getting an angiogram...98% blocked LAD !!!!
    Surgeon said I would have had a fatal heart attack he felt very soon.....so he told me when I asked him what to do now...he said he put in a 4mm stent...stay the night then go home and get back on your bike !
    So thats what I di..then added in running and got up to 5 miles in 40 minutes and dropped another 30 pounds from the 20 I had already lost...
    So...this may drive my exercise madness :) Since I have had a nuclear stress test last year...PERFECT...he said " not even a glitch".......not to pat myself on the back but mainly due to my persistance and not having a solid answer I was given a second chance...IF I had listened to my GP well.......
    He did call me the folowing Monday and said he couldnt believe it, he never would have thought I had any cardio issues...he did say " anyone comes to me with weird chest pressure/pain issues from now on, they are getting an apt with a cardio dr."
    So for once my type A personality paid off....
    I have no restrictions and we have been back to Maine twice biking and climbing since...no problems...I cross country ski,bike,run, HITT Tabatas etc....I have noticed that now my resting hr is 43...and when I workout and have my hr in the 130/140 range and stop my heart rate drops back to under 100 in less than a minute !
    Sometimes thats a pain if im biking and trying to keep it in range...
    Sorry for the boring story but I love telling people !
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Have you watched these videos on youtube? Jayme explains the "eat more to weigh less" idea much better than I've ever heard anyone explain it.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Iw1thBlLA&list=PLVwQ7YhTZN0Lc7UEIllW_asNTNVcS71F3

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypygfB3wKVs&list=PLVwQ7YhTZN0Lc7UEIllW_asNTNVcS71F3

I would like to emphasize this. Seriously my FAVORITE videos about weight loss. She will explain everything perfectly.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. I bumped up the number of calories I was eating and continued to lose weight at the same rate as when I was eating less. I don't know about you, but I'd like to eat as many calories as I can for the same rate of weight loss. Worth experimenting to find your optimal intake imo. I'd do this by gradually decreasing your calories until your rate of weight loss seems to flat line than the other way around.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I think the whole notion of eating more to weigh less is BS. Not everyone can EAT MORE and some ppl need to EAT LESS. It's very individual. Find out what you're TDEE is and just eat below that.

This. It really comes down to calories in and out. Eating over your TDEE is not going to get you where you need to be. Also, I don't of many fat anormexics (though I"m not advocating developing anorexia), so yeah, eating less will get you thin, period.

No one said to eat over your TDEE. You obviously didn't read anything.

And you lack reading comprehension skills. I don't care to read about EM2WL, I'm doing fine. I said it should be made clear to people like the OP. Maybe point that person to whatever group you're talking about. I don't give a crap about it.

I am not a part of that group. But not one person said to eat over your TDEE. So maybe you should check your skills. That doesn't even make sense.
  • mockchoc
    Options

Thank you, the thing about my story that most find interesting is this....I started biking over 2 yrs ago to try and be more active and my wife was into biking. I bought a bike and started riding...then I got hooked...I also dropped 20 pounds off my 198 pound stocky frame..
    A few times while riding and after a trip to Maine riding the mts and mountain climbing I had a funny weird pressure in my center chest..I told my wife and she said " sounds like a muscle pain" So it happened a few more times so I went to my GP..he did blood work..it was great...ekg...great...echo...great...sumed it up as a "pulled muscle"
    Later that week while biking it happened again..I went to a hill and biked up it and the pressure returned...it left when I stopped...I called my GP from the road side and told him I wanted an apt with a cardio Dr...I knew one that was very good...they had me in the next day...repeat tests all looked and sounded great..BUT....he wanted to see me back the next day to do an echo stress test...
    My wife was not going to show up and everyone told me they will find nothing....so i went and I ran and I ran and I ran...kept my hr at 160....no pain..did the echo..called me in his office...2 hrs later at the local heart hospital getting an angiogram...98% blocked LAD !!!!
    Surgeon said I would have had a fatal heart attack he felt very soon.....so he told me when I asked him what to do now...he said he put in a 4mm stent...stay the night then go home and get back on your bike !
    So thats what I di..then added in running and got up to 5 miles in 40 minutes and dropped another 30 pounds from the 20 I had already lost...
    So...this may drive my exercise madness :) Since I have had a nuclear stress test last year...PERFECT...he said " not even a glitch".......not to pat myself on the back but mainly due to my persistance and not having a solid answer I was given a second chance...IF I had listened to my GP well.......
    He did call me the folowing Monday and said he couldnt believe it, he never would have thought I had any cardio issues...he did say " anyone comes to me with weird chest pressure/pain issues from now on, they are getting an apt with a cardio dr."
    I have no restrictions and we have been back to Maine twice biking and climbing since...no problems...I cross country ski,bike,run, HITT Tabatas etc....I have noticed that now my resting hr is 43...and when I workout and have my hr in the 130/140 range and stop my heart rate drops back to under 100 in less than a minute !

That's awesome! I can totally understand why you are right into the cardio then. Could be time to cut it back a little though. Maybe talk to your doc about that.
  • c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Last week I ate a net average of 1552 calories/day and lost 4.25lbs (with three 30-minute walks).
    This week I ate a net average of 1828 calories/day and lost 7.25lbs (with no exercise at all).
  • cvcman
    Options
    Last week I ate a net average of 1552 calories/day and lost 4.25lbs (with three 30-minute walks).
    This week I ate a net average of 1828 calories/day and lost 7.25lbs (with no exercise at all).

what was in the 1800 calories ??
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Food.

Same as in the 1550 calories.
  • mockchoc
    Options

It really doesn't matter too much what is in those 1800 calories, even if it's all crappy foods like McDonalds as long as they are in a deficit they will lose. Your macros which is what you are eating (fat, protein, carbs) have more to do with your health than weight loss.
  • cvcman
    Options

Food.

Cute ....like what kind of food...is your diary open so we can see it ?

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I think the whole notion of eating more to weigh less is BS. Not everyone can EAT MORE and some ppl need to EAT LESS. It's very individual. Find out what you're TDEE is and just eat below that.

This. It really comes down to calories in and out. Eating over your TDEE is not going to get you where you need to be. Also, I don't of many fat anormexics (though I"m not advocating developing anorexia), so yeah, eating less will get you thin, period.

No one said to eat over your TDEE. You obviously didn't read anything.

And you lack reading comprehension skills. I don't care to read about EM2WL, I'm doing fine. I said it should be made clear to people like the OP. Maybe point that person to whatever group you're talking about. I don't give a crap about it.

I am not a part of that group. But not one person said to eat over your TDEE. So maybe you should check your skills. That doesn't even make sense.

Exactly...I'm really confused now. I'm not sure if she means it should be random peoples duties to go around finding people like the OP and telling them definitions of EM2WL before they ask??...even though the OP stated the premise and mentioned eating below TDEE already so I'm pretty sure they get what it is....isn't that what already happened in this thread? lol We can't really control what people do and don't look into :huh:

Thanks for backing me up! :P
  • c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Food.

My diary isn't open but I can tell you that the foods I eat don't vary much from one week to the next.
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    Okay I know I'm not a role model for fitness but I believe you aren't acting in a healthy way. At 5' 8" your on the low side for weight, so dropping more weight would be bad. You could stand to gain a few pounds of muscle. I'm 5' 3" and female and I lose weight on close to 1800 calories a day. I run, I walk, and starting here shortly I'll be lifting too. The point isn't to be skinny it's to be healthy. EAT some healthy food, not several slices of pizza and wings and then wonder why your up two pounds overnight. Lean protein and veggies, healthy carbs etc. And I second the bit about acting like an 18 year old girl. Quit it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Excellent story and recovery. Definitely shows the heart health improvements from cardio, and the deficit it can create even if you don't change your diet.

But during those times you also had a huge margin for error. Almost any semi-reasonable method, and probably several un-reasonable methods, could have caused weight loss.

As so what weight being lost exactly, impossible to know now.

Who knows if performance could have been even better with less muscle loss.
    Who knows if performance could be better now with a more balanced routine. Pro training schedules have pro eating that goes along with it, rarely in much of a deficit.

But you are getting less and less margin for error, as to what will work for weight, hopefully fat loss, and not having your body under so much stress it refuses to work with you in that effort.

You ever had a forced week or several days off for some reason, and come back stronger?
    Body able to make some improvements finally. You might not have noticed otherwise, because each workout, sure felt like you were pushing hard as ever. And without comparing what you could be accomplishing with proper rest/recovery, you'd never know.

So also with the diet and excessive exercise. Unless you can compare, you may think eaking out small losses is the way it should be done, less is better right. Even though you'd desire faster.
    But if the slower loss is because of suppressed metabolism and smaller deficit than what it appears, that's no good, you can easily push your body in to not creating any deficit because of the level of stress it's under. Plateau, stall, months on end.

Reduce calories further, lose a little bit until metabolism rebalances down again. Now what? Keep spiraling out of control going down, eating even less?
    Ouch.

Lot's of good advice to think about fueling your body properly, and like being overtrained not even knowing it, you may not even know how good this could be until you try it.

In addition to that, your original question, yes you should schedule some good recovery level days to offset hard days. It will actually allow the hard days to truly be hard enough to get full benefit from them.

It would be like trying to lift weights, if you got half your sleep and missed most of your meals and did a bunch of tiring lifting on your job.
    Now you go to gym to do some heavy lifting to make those muscle grow.
    But you find you can barely make it through your sets and reps. Alright you think, making them hurt to failure.

Well, wrong reason why they are tired - not because of the workout load you put on them to grow from, but just plain old tired, and that actually prevented you from putting a load of any sort on them. Do that constantly - would you be surprised at a lack of results.

All out cardio every day is very counter-productive, unless you just want to spin your wheels eventually, and not bike wheels. In which case, take up spinning plates and at least put on show people could enjoy.
  • cvcman
    Options

Food.

My diary isn't open but I can tell you that the foods I eat don't vary much from one week to the next.

curious as to what type of food groups you eat...low carb ??? Low fat ??? gibne me a typical day/week
  • cvcman
    Options
    Okay I know I'm not a role model for fitness but I believe you aren't acting in a healthy way. At 5' 8" your on the low side for weight, so dropping more weight would be bad. You could stand to gain a few pounds of muscle. I'm 5' 3" and female and I lose weight on close to 1800 calories a day. I run, I walk, and starting here shortly I'll be lifting too. The point isn't to be skinny it's to be healthy. EAT some healthy food, not several slices of pizza and wings and then wonder why your up two pounds overnight. Lean protein and veggies, healthy carbs etc. And I second the bit about acting like an 18 year old girl. Quit it.

PLEASE try to read BEFORE posting...I understand why the 2 pound gain when a night of a few slices of pizza and a couple wings happened I GOT THAT....Now IF you would TRY to understand....when I got to MFP and log in I eat the same things and work out the same EVERY week...and it tells me..."if you eat this way you wil weight 130 pounds in 3 weeks" well MY POINT is I have stayed the same weight ... I am FINE with my weight where it is and I AM HEALTHY weather you think so or not...my Dr is the one I listen to on my overall health...dont just go by charts that say what you should weigh...I have lean muscle...my arms are toned and solid...my legs the same...
    Now if that makes me sound like a 18 yr old girl then you have issues not me...again if nothing positive to offer and if you only read part of my post then just dont respond PLEASE....thx to the people that CAN read and do oofer good advise
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I think you misunderstood - It's eat more fiber to loose bowels.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

PLEASE try to read BEFORE posting...I understand why the 2 pound gain when a night of a few slices of pizza and a couple wings happened I GOT THAT....Now IF you would TRY to understand....when I got to MFP and log in I eat the same things and work out the same EVERY week...and it tells me..."if you eat this way you wil weight 130 pounds in 3 weeks" well MY POINT is I have stayed the same weight ... I am FINE with my weight where it is and I AM HEALTHY weather you think so or not...my Dr is the one I listen to on my overall health...dont just go by charts that say what you should weigh...I have lean muscle...my arms are toned and solid...my legs the same...
    Now if that makes me sound like a 18 yr old girl then you have issues not me...again if nothing positive to offer and if you only read part of my post then just dont respond PLEASE....thx to the people that CAN read and do oofer good advise

I think the problem for you is that MFP and other calculators are probably overestimating your BMR which is the basis for TDEE and MFPs settings, too. BMR and TDEE calculations are generally based on the "average" person. It looks like you may have less LBM than the average 53 year old male at your height and weight. This can be expected if you lost a large amount of weight and did not manage to maintain your LBM along the way. Undereating while overexercising can exacerbate the LBM loss. Your TDEE multiplier factor may not be as high as you would think, either, because your exertion may not be matching up.

I really don't know where you got 2700+ for your TDEE, either. It looks like your BMR is probably around 1440 if you are an "average" 53 year old man who is 5'8" and 140 lbs. If you lost a lot of LBM when you were losing weight, you probably aren't average. Maybe your BMR is only 1240. Maybe instead of using a high multiplying factor, you have to use a lower one because your exercise isn't as intense as you think it is. Maybe if you did up your calories and keep them up for a few months your BMR and TDEE would go up. There's honestly no way of knowing unless you try it for a prolonged period of time and actually accurately track your intake.

I know you said you generally eat the same things from week to week, but portion creep is very sneaky and not really noticeable as time goes on. If you're off by as little as 10% you are talking 150+ calories per day. Plus, it's really hard to factor in those odd indulgences. Maybe you are thinking you are eating 1600 calories a day based on what you "usually" eat, but are off by 10% + have one day of 3500 calories. Right there your average goes from 1600 to more like 2000. You can't see that, though, if you don't periodically weigh and measure everything and track it accurately.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    im 53 yr old male...height is about 5'8" tall

I'm a 54 year old woman, 5' 8" and 143 pounds. You, being a man, definitely do not need to lose weight. At this point of your fitness journey you need to transition to maintenance, eating more, and you're probably doing too much cardio. If you're still looking to see more change in your body I would focus on body composition - less cardio and heavy weights or body weight exercises. If you're happy with your results then carry on with what ever you are currently doing.

As far as seeing a slight gain the day after a hefty sodium filled meal...that's totally normal and temporary.