everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have no help to offer, just want to be able to find this thread again for the entertainment value.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Here's an answer from a registered dietitian so you don't have to take my word for it. BTW, he also confirmed that there is no such thing as starvation mode and your body does not hold onto fat if you eat so little. A registered dietition holds a license that allows him or her to legally work and set food guidelines in a hospital, public school, prison, or anything of that nature.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Sorta makes all the name callers and trouble makers that responded " eat more " look not so bright
    How does that make them look "not so bright"?

Let's say you're consuming 1000 calories per day. You do cardio and weight training. Your weight stalls. You then start to slowly add calories back in and you start to drop weight again.

Once again, how does that make them look "not so bright"?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    How long did you start seeing diminishing weight loss on the way down and finally how long with no changes, eating at what you thought should have been a deficit?

How long did you eat more to give your metabolism a chance to recover? You should have allowed the same amount of time.

Now you see why so many fail to move into maintenance. They've ruined their metabolism that they are basically at maintenance already. With very little room for movement of calories. Splurge meal turns into eating surplus and fat gain, instead of just the metabolism increasing for a bit.

It does apply to everyone. Everyone can hammer their metabolism into the ground such that it's much slower than expected, either because of outright slowness, or because of muscle-mass loss and that would be expected, just unknown to the person.
    Or usually a combo of the two. Muscle mass is lost, so metabolism of course goes down from that, but then it goes down even further than expected.

How easy it is to accomplish that depends on genetics and stress the body is willing to deal with, and how many times it's seen the insanity before.

I noticed my weight flatlining for about the last 6 or so months...I would go up and down 1 to 2 pounds but pretty much stay the same...I always questioned this sites calculator saying " you will eigh 130 pounds after 3 weeks of eating like this " when I completed my daily diary..it just aint so !
    So at this point given my cardio and exercise routine what would YOU suggest I do at this point..Im happy with my weigh, my Dr is happy too...I would like to loose or tighten up some belly flab but other than that im ok...I do get hungry and wishy washie feeling at times during the day...
    Am I ok to keep up my daily workouts or do I need days off..I DONT want to out on weight I would like to stay here

So took awhile to get into the state, will take awhile to get out. At least if you already invested 6 months in to not seeming to make any progress, then a few more won't matter.

In this study of men doing lifting at maintenance, no gain or loss of weight for 16 weeks, they actually traded 3.5 lbs of fat for LBM (sadly they didn't measure muscle, but some likely was muscle too).

The problem is, finding what is maintenance for that level of activity. Is it when there is no loss or gain, maintenance must therefore be met?

There's a whole group of rightly skeptical women that started doing EM2WL and only upped their calories slowly, weeks at a time, and on each raise saw no weight loss or gain. Which one was truly maintenance? The one right before they gained weight for several weeks on end. No minor jump for a week.

No movement in weight except up, because if really eating at maintenance, or the body is stressed enough to suppress metabolism and indeed, that means maintenance too, just not what it could be.

I mention that because it's awfully hard to make body improvements when the body would actually like more energy to do basic stuff with before building more muscle.

Here's study though.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/778012-potential-muscle-gain-lifting-and-metabolism-improvement

At least with gain of LBM, your metabolism can go up. 7% for them in those 16 weeks. Not too bad.

Any cardio done should support the ability to do heavy lifting.

No cardio day after lifting using the same muscles to high intensity and killing the repair process.
    No cardio day before lifting to leave you tired while lifting. You want the load of the weight to make you tired, not the fact you are still recovering from day before.

At maintenance, should be able to see weight increases on big compound lifts every couple weeks.

Since fat loss shows up easiest with measurement of inches, you want many spots. Problem areas and areas you want to see improve from lifting.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Ok I flatlined at 140 / 141 which is fine..I workout everyday..mostly cardio, weights fro upper body 3 times a week, Tabata HIT 3 times a week, then either run, bike, cross country ski for an hour every other day...I dont do my diary everyday because I eat the same things week after week...but every time I splurge a little like last night...few slices of pizza and 4 chicken wings and 1 beer...up 2 pounds the next day...
    So IF I eat more to jump start and loose more I feel I will GAIN weight...maybe I shouldnt be doing cardio to loose weight maybe a few days of lower heart rate stuff ????

You are carrying water weight...

this
  • sludgefactory101
    Options
    eating more to lose IS complete bull. My body maintains and somewhat loses weight at 1000-1200 calories a day. And im a teenage guy. These calculators and doctors opinions are a joke, everyone is different
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    eating more to lose IS complete bull. My body maintains and somewhat loses weight at 1000-1200 calories a day. And im a teenage guy. These calculators and doctors opinions are a joke, everyone is different
    Okay buddy.
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options

So you have a complete different set of organs? *Mind is blown*
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You are a 19 year guy who maintains at 1,200, who I also notice is 190lb? If that is correct you should see a doctor.

Also, how do you know? You only started here within the last 3 days.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    im 53 yr old male...height is about 5'8" tall

and you weigh 140-141lbs and YOU ARE COMPLAINING???
    SERIOUSLY???????

ok, I'm just gonna shut up now before I say something to discredit myself.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Two things happen as you get older:

a) bone density decreases

b) muscle tissue atrophies

You need to get your *kitten* together and sort this out before you do yourself permanent damage. You're not an 18 year old girl who can learn from her mistakes and make a full recovery. You're already 53 and the natural processes of ageing are already having negative effects - your behaviour is contributing to speed up these effects.

However, you're not going to listen to anyone here. You've posted a thread calling a method for kickstarting people's weight-loss BS without truly understanding it. You've argued with everyone and anyone who've given you good advice. You will not learn, you will continue to make the same mistakes. Why have you wasted your and other people's time in this manner? It makes no sense to me......
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Long-standing or current excuse?
  • c53204
    c53204 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One thing I have found out during my weight loss is that everyone is different. Would be boring if we were all the same!

I'm m57 and after a first career of burning 6000-8000 calories a day, my second career was either driving, or sitting behind a desk. Needless to say the weight piled on.

In my 20's I ran sub 3hr marathons and sub 4min miles. No amount of fitness/diet at my age is going to get me back to doing that - that was very hard to accept.

Ive have the 'eat more' message lots and tried that method. For me, it hasn't mad a difference. I'm still 5lbs off my goal. But I was happy to get through the Christmas holidays without putting on weight.

The main thing I have noticed is that at first weight fell off me, now it is a lot harder. I do feel much better though!
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Here's an answer from a registered dietitian so you don't have to take my word for it. BTW, he also confirmed that there is no such thing as starvation mode and your body does not hold onto fat if you eat so little. A registered dietition holds a license that allows him or her to legally work and set food guidelines in a hospital, public school, prison, or anything of that nature.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Sorta makes all the name callers and trouble makers that responded " eat more " look not so bright
    How does that make them look "not so bright"?

Let's say you're consuming 1000 calories per day. You do cardio and weight training. Your weight stalls. You then start to slowly add calories back in and you start to drop weight again.

Once again, how does that make them look "not so bright"?

Ok lets see....I eat far more than 1000 cals a day,,,yet most here say "eat more" but we see what the professional said...big dif
  • cvcman
    Options

You need to get your *kitten* together and sort this out before you do yourself permanent damage. You're not an 18 year old girl who can learn from her mistakes and make a full recovery. You're already 53 and the natural processes of ageing are already having negative effects - your behaviour is contributing to speed up these effects.

However, you're not going to listen to anyone here. You've posted a thread calling a method for kickstarting people's weight-loss BS without truly understanding it. You've argued with everyone and anyone who've given you good advice. You will not learn, you will continue to make the same mistakes. Why have you wasted your and other people's time in this manner? It makes no sense to me......

The only one I have "argued" with are the name callers .....good sound advise is always welcome BUT IF you read you will note NOT ALL agree with the eat more....
  • cvcman
    Options
    One thing I have found out during my weight loss is that everyone is different. Would be boring if we were all the same!

I'm m57 and after a first career of burning 6000-8000 calories a day, my second career was either driving, or sitting behind a desk. Needless to say the weight piled on.

In my 20's I ran sub 3hr marathons and sub 4min miles. No amount of fitness/diet at my age is going to get me back to doing that - that was very hard to accept.

Ive have the 'eat more' message lots and tried that method. For me, it hasn't mad a difference. I'm still 5lbs off my goal. But I was happy to get through the Christmas holidays without putting on weight.

The main thing I have noticed is that at first weight fell off me, now it is a lot harder. I do feel much better though!

thank you
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Only thing that is BS is you starting this topic, what will be more bs is the people in here that agree with you that complain when they hit a plateau eating 1200 calories and need help to keep losing..
    From your original post, your stuck where you are, and you will see weight gain from eating pizza.. if you start eating normally for someone your age/height and a male you are going to gain weight.. your body adjusts to your eating habits.. so if you start eating more your body will need to readjust and you will gain weight during that period.. Starvation? Nope.. You have adapted.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No, you've just ****ed up your metabolism. I'm guessing you've eaten too little for a loooong time.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

The only one I have "argued" with are the name callers .....good sound advise is always welcome BUT IF you read you will note NOT ALL agree with the eat more....

"Eat more to lose weight" doesn't mean "eat more than your TDEE and lose weight". That would be magic.

It means you're eating too far below your TDEE and have likely stalled yourself. As you raise your calories back up to something approaching your TDEE, then you can get over this stall as your metabolism kicks back up....

If you're near to your goal, you should be close to your TDEE anyway so that you're not losing LBM (or too much of it) along with fat.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you put the amount of time you spent stirring things up on line into your weight loss you'd have reached your goals by now.

If what you're doing isn't working, just try something else. (besides arguing with strangers around the world)