everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Here's an answer from a registered dietitian so you don't have to take my word for it. BTW, he also confirmed that there is no such thing as starvation mode and your body does not hold onto fat if you eat so little. A registered dietition holds a license that allows him or her to legally work and set food guidelines in a hospital, public school, prison, or anything of that nature.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Sorta makes all the name callers and trouble makers that responded " eat more " look not so bright
    How does that make them look "not so bright"?

Let's say you're consuming 1000 calories per day. You do cardio and weight training. Your weight stalls. You then start to slowly add calories back in and you start to drop weight again.

Once again, how does that make them look "not so bright"?

Ok lets see....I eat far more than 1000 cals a day,,,yet most here say "eat more" but we see what the professional said...big dif

What do you think is your current TDEE?
    What deficit have you set to lose weight?

You may have set it too large.

With only a few lbs left to go, you should be aiming for a small deficit, not making it larger.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3500-calories-to-lose-a-pound-is-this-formula-all-wrong-237.html
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Only thing that is BS is you starting this topic, what will be more bs is the people in here that agree with you that complain when they hit a plateau eating 1200 calories and need help to keep losing..
    From your original post, your stuck where you are, and you will see weight gain from eating pizza.. if you start eating normally for someone your age/height and a male you are going to gain weight.. your body adjusts to your eating habits.. so if you start eating more your body will need to readjust and you will gain weight during that period.. Starvation? Nope.. You have adapted.

This is YOUR opinion...thank you !
  • cvcman
    Options
    If you put the amount of time you spent stirring things up on line into your weight loss you'd have reached your goals by now.

If what you're doing isn't working, just try something else. (besides arguing with strangers around the world)

If I quit wastig my time responding to ...well people like YOU that is...im done and will not waste my time with "pot stiring" people you all seem to NOT be able to read....where did I say i hadnt "reached my goals' ONE LAST TIME...THIS POST WAS MENT TO SAY THE CALCULATOR IS BS...IT KEEPS TELLING ME I WILL WEIGH 130 POUNDS IN 3 WEEKS...ITS WRONG....ITS BS......THATS ALL NOW GO AWAY POT STIRING NON HELPING BLOW HARDS.... There
    Thank you for the people that do tend to offer good advise and help...
  • cvcman
    Options
    Here's an answer from a registered dietitian so you don't have to take my word for it. BTW, he also confirmed that there is no such thing as starvation mode and your body does not hold onto fat if you eat so little. A registered dietition holds a license that allows him or her to legally work and set food guidelines in a hospital, public school, prison, or anything of that nature.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Sorta makes all the name callers and trouble makers that responded " eat more " look not so bright

Let's say you're consuming 1000 calories per day. You do cardio and weight training. Your weight stalls. You then start to slowly add calories back in and you start to drop weight again.

Ok lets see....I eat far more than 1000 cals a day,,,yet most here say "eat more" but we see what the professional said...big dif

With only a few lbs left to go, you should be aiming for a small deficit, not making it larger.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3500-calories-to-lose-a-pound-is-this-formula-all-wrong-237.html

Ok this is NOT what I think rather what the calculators say my TDEE is I have check 3 different onliine ones and they say between 2500 and 2700 given my height,weight and exercise routine....im 53 yrs old, weigh 141 pounds give or take..sleep 9 hrs a night...am very active, work outside, shovel snow, mow lawns, hunt etc...I work out cardio min of 70 minutes a day....do alot of walking also...my work out is keeping my heart rate between 75 and 80 % of MHR

Now what do YOU say my TDEE is ?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Ok this is NOT what I think rather what the calculators say my TDEE is I have check 3 different onliine ones and they say between 2500 and 2700 given my height,weight and exercise routine....im 53 yrs old, weigh 141 pounds give or take..sleep 9 hrs a night...am very active, work outside, shovel snow, mow lawns, hunt etc...I work out cardio min of 70 minutes a day....do alot of walking also...my work out is keeping my heart rate between 75 and 80 % of MHR

If that were my calculations I'd have eaten 2000 calories when starting out, and I'd eat around 2100-2300 when I was at my last few pounds.

How many calories are you actually eating?

At your age/fitness you should be able to maintain on 2500, and the only way to test that out is to actually do it.
    I don't mean to jump from where you are now to 2500 immediately, but add 100 per week, until you hit 2500, and then stay there for a few weeks to see what happens.
  • cvcman
    Options

If that were my calculations I'd have eaten 2000 calories when starting out, and I'd eat around 2100-2300 when I was at my last few pounds.

How many calories are you actually eating?

At your age/fitness you should be able to maintain on 2500, and the only way to test that out is to actually do it.

I would say im around 15-1800 ? so lets say I want to mix up my workouts...I do cardio pretty much everyday and mix in upper body weights 3 times a week....
    I dont take any days off...I do enjoy my cycling and cross country skiing so I dont want to stop that...I do Tabatas HIIT a few times a week...
    Is there a site I can go to and print out a GOOD routine to follow for a while and try to add more protein to my diet ???
    I have a full universal gym in my basement along with a Nordiac trac ski machine and sta. bike too...I still want to do my running too but maybe I SHOULD be doing like 2 days a week cardio, 2 days a week weights...a rest day ( that will kill me :) ) ??? Thats why im looking for a site that I can taylor a workout for ME
    Thanks for your help
    I don't mean to jump from where you are now to 2500 immediately, but add 100 per week, until you hit 2500, and then stay there for a few weeks to see what happens.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "Eat more to weigh less" is obviously a shorthand, it's not just a case of consuming more automatically leading to weight loss: it means making sure you eat enough to stop your metabolism stalling, and enough of the right things.

This ^^ It's just a catch phrase that doesn't really describe what is meant very well at all IMO.
  • cvcman
    Options
    Im trying to figure out if I SHOULD be doing weights like 3 times a week, mix in my cardio on off days or the same days with rest day in between..or just keep doing my cardio 7 days a week and mix in weights ????
    If i could find a good online source and copy it onto my calander then I would have my schedule....and how important are total rest days ??? some say they are not needed others say they are
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Stop doing cardio 7 days a week - its counter productive and not clever...Do weights 3 -4x per week - as heavy as you can, and cardio 2 days a week....You do need rest - so take at least one day of doing nothing....
    Start eating more and better - You can look up P90X - the schedule for the classic online - you don't have to do that - just arrange your weight and cardio training like that....
  • cvcman
    Options
    Stop doing cardio 7 days a week - its counter productive and not clever...Do weights 3 -4x per week - as heavy as you can, and cardio 2 days a week....You do need rest - so take at least one day of doing nothing....
    Start eating more and better - You can look up P90X - the schedule for the classic online - you don't have to do that - just arrange your weight and cardio training like that....

I wonder IF cardio 2 times a week is enough so I dont loose my " wind" I have built up ?? Also does P90X tell how lond to do the weight, how many sets ?? etc ?
    Thank you
  • yourdreamsbody
    Options
    You don't have to follow any fad diet, calorie count or starve, just only eat meat or vegetables when you're hungry, and drink plenty of water. It does mean you have to cut out sugar though, and sugar is addictive. It's the main reason people don't loose weight because they eat too much sugar. Sugars actually worse than fat but people always criticize this especially as fat and sugar are combined so often in processed food. Don't try to lose weight in one week.its really dangerous and ll give you more side effects check out my website yourdreamsbody.com if you are looking for effective work out plan.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    9667718df713d9e6a5f87f1425f6707e.gif
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I wonder IF cardio 2 times a week is enough so I dont loose my " wind" I have built up ?? Also does P90X tell how lond to do the weight, how many sets ?? etc ?
    Thank you

It can be. You'll be surprised how much stronger and better you'd perform with a well laid out plan.

Since it sounds like you really enjoy the cardio related stuff though, you can still do it a tad more.

Just lift heavy 2 x weekly. Rest day after. That allow max benefit there.

If you want just 1 rest day a week, the day after lifting should be cardio no higher than Active Recovery HR zone. You want rest from lifting, not more stressful load added to the muscles. So this could be your slow run to train the aerobic fat-burning system for endurance type stuff, if you are headed that direction.

Any cardio done the day before should stay in the Aerobic HR zone. Any more than that and you chance just plain tiring yourself out for the next day. Your lifts will be difficult, not because of heavy load making great progress, but just tired.

So that leaves one other day a week to push the cardio to whatever fun level you want, and not impact the lifting. No need to do HIIT either, the lifting is doing that improvement. But perhaps hill intervals is your thing. Or hitting every uphill on the bike.

Still gotta figure out your maintenance though.
  • cvcman
    Options
    Thank you

It can be. You'll be surprised how much stronger and better you'd perform with a well laid out plan.

Since it sounds like you really enjoy the cardio related stuff though, you can still do it a tad more.

Just lift heavy 2 x weekly. Rest day after. That allow max benefit there.

If you want just 1 rest day a week, the day after lifting should be cardio no higher than Active Recovery HR zone. You want rest from lifting, not more stressful load added to the muscles. So this could be your slow run to train the aerobic fat-burning system for endurance type stuff, if you are headed that direction.

Any cardio done the day before should stay in the Aerobic HR zone. Any more than that and you chance just plain tiring yourself out for the next day. Your lifts will be difficult, not because of heavy load making great progress, but just tired.

So that leaves one other day a week to push the cardio to whatever fun level you want, and not impact the lifting. No need to do HIIT either, the lifting is doing that improvement. But perhaps hill intervals is your thing. Or hitting every uphill on the bike.

Still gotta figure out your maintenance though.

ok check out this site http://scoobysworkshop.com/advanced-workout-plan/
    Now when you are doing the different weights dumbell flys do you totally rest between sets for 1 minute or do you just go to the next exercise then after doing all the exercisies go back and start again ??
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ok check out this site http://scoobysworkshop.com/advanced-workout-plan/
    Now when you are doing the different weights dumbell flys do you totally rest between sets for 1 minute or do you just go to the next exercise then after doing all the exercisies go back and start again ??

So that would get some lifting in everyday, and the rule for cardio day after isn't being broken on most of those days because lower body is just couple days a week.

So you could still have fun intense cardio on lower body far separated from lifting with those muscles.

You do 1 min rest, and complete the sets. round-robin is circuit training, and while it may seem intense, it's not the same effect as really putting a load on the muscles right then, and letting them partially recover before hitting them again.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You don't have to follow any fad diet, calorie count or starve, just only eat meat or vegetables when you're hungry, and drink plenty of water. It does mean you have to cut out sugar though, and sugar is addictive. It's the main reason people don't loose weight because they eat too much sugar. Sugars actually worse than fat but people always criticize this especially as fat and sugar are combined so often in processed food. Don't try to lose weight in one week.its really dangerous and ll give you more side effects check out my website yourdreamsbody.com if you are looking for effective work out plan.

You want him to survive on just meat and vegetables? That is rediculous!
  • cvcman
    Options

\\

Are you joking or serious ?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

\\

Are you joking or serious ?

I'm serious but I hope he isn't.
  • cvcman
    Options
    well after eating more for a few months i can say.....eating more to loose or maintain is bs for me :) doesnt work
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Dont you talk about my mochas like that >:(