everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I feel IF I dont do cardio everyday I will see the weight come back on.....I tried to back track after a weeks vacation to Maine...I didnt eat my salads everyday but rather ate bread on my lobster roll every day for lunch ( I never eat bread ) and ate lobster every night for supper ( I dont use the butter )....Only different thing was a big ice cream every night...I still ran every day and sometimes biked some the same day...
    I came home 3 pounds lighter than when I left....maybe a ice cream diet is the answer

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weight will come back on if you eat more than your TDEE on a regular basis, not if you just don't do cardio every day. Stay at maintenance and not doing cardio does not mean you should gain weight, you should MAINTAIN.

As far as the 3# lighter - you shocked your body by eating something different. Someone earlier mentioned eating at TDEE for a while to "reset" your system - you may vary well have done that while on vacation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    so now it says should eat 2200 per day !!!! Does this mean 2200 total or 2200 after deducting exercise ?? This cant be right

I use the TDEE method rather than the eat back MFP method...but I gross around 2700 calories to maintain as a 39 y.o. 5' 10" male...I lose about 1 lb per week grossing around 2100-2200 calories per day. Eat more to lose doesn't mean you eat above your TDEE...you're still at a deficit for maintenance, just a more manageable one that usually leads to better diet adherance.

Also, you're 140 Lbs...that's pretty trim...are you really still trying to drop weight? I'm thinking you don't really have the fat stores to do so.
  • BAMarsh
    Options
    so if this were you would you;

a) do cardio every other day ? sure, I do cardio, but I also lift heavy - see (b)

b) if so do what on the off days ? lift heavy things and put them down - gain muscle and quit worrying about losing/gaining weight. Yes, you might gain muscle weight, but wouldn't you rather be 150lbs and have muscle definition than 140 and be weak?

• cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    not trying to drop or loose weight but would like to maintain and feel I can eat when im hungry :) It seems now when I add more calories my weight goes up.....I am lean but I feel I have good strength...right now im battling a rotator cuff issue after a bicycle crash...
    Sometimes I feel dizzy or faint like feeling right before lunch if I have done my run in the morning like I usually do....If I eat something sweet like a lifesaver etc I feel better...not sure if that low blood sugar or just my mind :)

I do have some flabby skin around my gut but probablynot much fat otherwise
  • cvcman
    Options
    Ok using online Harris-Benedict for 54 yr old man, 5'8" tall, weight 141 and exercise ( run 45 mins a t8 min mile pace ) everyday.

It CLAIMS BMR 1446

TDEE 2368.......so what do BOTH of these mean ????
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    im 53 yr old male...height is about 5'8" tall

You are 5 foot 8 and you are at 140 lbs? that seems like you are very small for your height.

You should focus more on Body fat percentage and stop looking at the scale.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ok using online Harris-Benedict for 54 yr old man, 5'8" tall, weight 141 and exercise ( run 45 mins a t8 min mile pace ) everyday.

It CLAIMS BMR 1446

BMR is the amount of calories your body needs in a day if you are resting all day. You should be eating more than it.

With your daily exercise, your TDEE is the amount of calories to eat in a day with the amount of exercise you do, to maintain your weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    not trying to drop or loose weight but would like to maintain and feel I can eat when im hungry :) It seems now when I add more calories my weight goes up.....I am lean but I feel I have good strength...right now im battling a rotator cuff issue after a bicycle crash...
    Sometimes I feel dizzy or faint like feeling right before lunch if I have done my run in the morning like I usually do....If I eat something sweet like a lifesaver etc I feel better...not sure if that low blood sugar or just my mind :)

I do have some flabby skin around my gut but probablynot much fat otherwise

It sounds like this might be a beneficial read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily bs. Do a little research on Leptin. Its a fat burning hormone. If you don't eat enough food leptin levels drop telling your body your starving, there by holding onto the fat. you need to find a balance with your activity level, and food intake. You do have to eat less than you burn to lose but if you don't get enough nutrition the body goes into a panic mode. You could cause muscle damage or in my case i gained some weight back. Find that sweet spot between maintaining your weight and the need to lose it. Once a week go 1000 calories over your diet then eat protein the next day, maybe this helps. At least I hope it has.
  • cvcman
    Options
    just measured baefoot 5'7"...dam im shrinking :)

TDEE 2316 thats saying everyday exercise,,,but my everyday exercise is running 5.5 miles EVERY day so would that fall under "intense"

If so it bumps me to 2440 TDEE...so I should be eating say 2000 cals a day to maintain this weight ??? This is what I dont get...every time I go even cose to that for a few days my weight goes up....maybe im not getting this
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    just measured baefoot 5'7"...dam im shrinking :)

TDEE 2316 thats saying everyday exercise,,,but my everyday exercise is running 5.5 miles EVERY day so would that fall under "intense"

If so it bumps me to 2440 TDEE...so I should be eating say 2000 cals a day to maintain this weight ??? This is what I dont get...every time I go even cose to that for a few days my weight goes up....maybe im not getting this

Read up on glycogen storage and water weight. You are always going to gain a little water weight when you increase your calories. It's something you're going to have to get used to but it should level out quickly.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 for 50 days. I stalled and stayed there for 3 weeks.

I then went up to 1400 and can tell you I have lost 2lbs in the past 9 days.

Yes, its more like 1lb a week now as opposed to the 2-3lbs before. But when you've stalled for 3 weeks after being METICULOUS about your diet, 1lb is a triumph! And I'll bet that's the maximum I will ever be able to lose per week after this point.

It took upping my calories to move that scale as my body just wasn't burning the way it should have been. It was holding onto everything it could after 50 days on 1200.

And guess what, I'm enjoying the freedom of 1400 so much I'm going to 1500 next week. And then 1600 the week after. As my TDEE is 2000 I can bet by mid October I'll be eating at 1800 as I'm not fussed about the speed of weight loss any more.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

It CLAIMS BMR 1446

Use this for best estimates all around. Just in case you have less LBM than expected by Harris BMR calc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker
  • cvcman
    Options
    Holy speadsheet Batman ! I cant figure out what to put in where......thats too complex for my simple brain,,,,from almost everthign I read it says to eat around 2k cals a day for me to maintain....
  • BAMarsh
    Options
    Holy speadsheet Batman ! I cant figure out what to put in where......thats too complex for my simple brain,,,,from almost everthign I read it says to eat around 2k cals a day for me to maintain....

Try doing 2000-2300 per day for a week or two. Give your body and water weight time to adjust. If after two weeks you're still gaining (highly doubtful), then you can reevaluate.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Eating more doesn't always mean more calories. It can mean 100 less calories of meat and 100 more calories of veggies which is cups and cups more volume of food. This additional volume provides liquid, nutrients, and fiber which aids in weight loss so just that one switch can be "eating more" but not really "eating more calories" yet still have huge impacts on health and weight.
  • cvcman
    Options
    so you are saying try eating this much but STILL doing my cardio, correct ?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

4 personal stats you use everywhere and have memorized.
    8 measurements you should really have anyway to see true progress outside the scale.
    1 goal weight you likely have or are at actually in your case.
    2 daily activity levels for hours above a sedentary job you have, may not even apply.
    4 exercise levels for minutes weekly, some may not even apply.

That's it. You delete the sample data in only the yellow cells. Fill in your own if it applies.

Usually it helps soothe those that are anxious about gaining by eating at reasonable levels. They can see the estimates are all based on best info available, and very specific.

Because you still seem to be awful concerned about the normal fluctuations of water weight.
    I dropped 5 lbs from Fri to Sat, and that Fri was actually a 5 lb gain from last weigh in.

Why the gain and loss?

Gained because I was still sore and healing from half-ironman on Monday. And was still eating at maintenance to aid repair to get stronger.
    Lost the 5 in a day because the soreness went away and I ate normal sodium levels on Friday all day. Used the bathroom a lot though!
    Up again by 3 lbs on Sun after long Sat bike ride in terrible heat.
    Lost 3 lbs by Monday morning.

None of those are valid weigh-ins though, so I can separate emotion from my curiosity on false gain/loss. I haven't had a valid weigh in about a month, most because of training. Sometimes because I blew it on the rest day eating Chinese for lunch. That is not normal sodium level for me by a long shot.

Whatever level of TDEE you pick, you better keep doing your cardio since the TDEE is based on you doing it.
    And weigh 10 x during the day so you can see just how much stuff varies. Overload your system on weigh-ins, then perhaps it won't be so important at valid times.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the idea that you have to stick to any diet change for a month before you can tell how it works for you. Pretty much any time you mess with your body's fuel, it takes awhile for it to get used to it.

However, if you are happy with your weight and what you are doing is working for you, why change it at all?
  • cvcman
    Options
    well guess would like to loose the belly flab I have and everyone here seems to keep saying " eat more"