everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    dont know what my macros are ??? But go look at my diary..again I pretty much eat the same thing every day/week....I am a creature of habit...

I eat pretty low carb diet, the fat I eat is in the olive oil and nuts...salmon...I dont eat butter or that type of fat...when I have tried eating more I only did it for a few day...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    dont know what my macros are ??? But go look at my diary..again I pretty much eat the same thing every day/week....I am a creature of habit...

I eat pretty low carb diet, the fat I eat is in the olive oil and nuts...salmon...I dont eat butter or that type of fat...when I have tried eating more I only did it for a few day...
    We need to see a week of constant logging. As of right now, I don't see anything.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I think the whole notion of eating more to weigh less is BS. Not everyone can EAT MORE and some ppl need to EAT LESS. It's very individual. Find out what you're TDEE is and just eat below that.
    This is incorrect. 99% of the people on this site are no way near eating to their TDEE. Once they calculate their TDEE they still won't eat close to it, because they think they will get fat. What they don't understand is that the body is going to normalize at a weight.

However, people panic and they continue down the path of a suppressed metabolism. They then wonder why they don't make any more progress. The goal should be to consume AS much calories as possible, while reaching a healthy fat loss goal.
    Yup. People should go read/watch Layne Norton discuss the subject.

I was thoroughly miserable when I attempted to eating too little so I don't see how people can do it. Having no energy, being easily agitated etc was no way to live.
    It never fails.
    January produces a herd of crash dieters who usually wash out by March.
    It usually just does not work.
    :noway:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think the whole notion of eating more to weigh less is BS. Not everyone can EAT MORE and some ppl need to EAT LESS. It's very individual. Find out what you're TDEE is and just eat below that.
    This is incorrect. 99% of the people on this site are no way near eating to their TDEE. Once they calculate their TDEE they still won't eat close to it, because they think they will get fat. What they don't understand is that the body is going to normalize at a weight.

However, people panic and they continue down the path of a suppressed metabolism. They then wonder why they don't make any more progress. The goal should be to consume AS much calories as possible, while reaching a healthy fat loss goal.
    Yup. People should go read/watch Layne Norton discuss the subject.

I was thoroughly miserable when I attempted to eating too little so I don't see how people can do it. Having no energy, being easily agitated etc was no way to live.
    This should be required viewing before being able to post questions on MFP.

Layne Nortan - Metabolic Damage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk&noredirect=1
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Also, since I upped my calories, my workouts are WAY easier... I wasn't going super low on my calories either... I made less than a 400 calorie change, and went to the recommended, which I thought was to high. This was partly because I was being told to eat back my work out calories. I am now telling you, eat back your workout calories. They are necessary. I just upped my calorie intake shortly before I got the flu, and then re-upped it to where it is now. It is set for me to lose 2 lbs per week. I do not want to lose more than that (though, right now I am). I am going to let my body get used to this calorie intake for 2 or 3 weeks more, and then I may up my calorie intake to the recommended for 1 lb per week... I will see. Energy is much higher now.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

This. It really comes down to calories in and out. Eating over your TDEE is not going to get you where you need to be. Also, I don't of many fat anormexics (though I"m not advocating developing anorexia), so yeah, eating less will get you thin, period.

No one said to eat over your TDEE. You obviously didn't read anything.
  • cvcman
    Options
    check out the week of Aug 6th...again I stopped logging daily because week by week I pretty much eat the same exact thing and work out the same....
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I've read your comments in your previous threads. You mention that people in your life are concerned you're too thin. It also sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with the scale as well. I really think you should be more concerned about seeing a professional to help you, rather than with the answer to this thread.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed you have energy! Your net calories are very low (1000 or less). Good luck with your eating and hopefully you can find the answers your looking for.
    check out the week of Aug 6th...again I stopped logging daily because week by week I pretty much eat the same exact thing and work out the same....
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Then that needs to be made clear, because perhaps this person is eating at TDEE and then thinking they should eat more. That's why telling people to eat more doesn't work for everyone. Plus, I really don't believe in starvation mode.

Yeah, people who are doing EM2WL don't go around telling everyone to eat over their TDEE, they tell people to check out the group which defines what it is or they tell the person how it works. It's the people who don't know what it is who don't read threads fully and don't read the definitions that make comments like the ones in this thread.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options

This. It really comes down to calories in and out. Eating over your TDEE is not going to get you where you need to be. Also, I don't of many fat anormexics (though I"m not advocating developing anorexia), so yeah, eating less will get you thin, period.

^^^^^^^
    Well Said
    Let's not start making things up.
    Nobody credible ever advocated eating above TDEE to lose weight.
    That would be absurd.
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Week of August 6 = too few calories for your activity level. My estimate of your TDEE requirements are around 2,500 minimum if I guestimated your calorie expenditure correctly. And yes, your numbers are great, not good. Seems I always get in trouble using the wrong adjectives on this forum. lol. I wish you would post pics because I can't for the life of me understand why you are even worried about losing weight or even maintaining your current weight. Your current BMI is 21, which is low to mid normal for you. You could probably stand to gain a pound or two and I mean that in the nicest way, but you definitely don't need to lose.

Start logging again just to get a good grasp on your numbers, and get a HMR to see what you are actually burning during exercise. The only way to know what works for you is to know your numbers.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options
    How long have you given it each time you increased your calories before determining that it does not work? The reason I ask is that there is a period of 'stabilization' that you need to go through.

Also, if you are maintaining on significantly lower calories than the online calculators are telling you then there is two basic reasons for that:

1 - you are eating more than you think
    2 - your metabolism is lower than average, which could be due to a number of reasons, one of which is that it is suppressed due to a long time on a large deficit. (Or your activity levels are being overestimated).

ETA: sorry if I have missed it, but what are the gross calories you are maintaining on now?
    ^^^^^^^
    And this.....
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Week of August 6 = too few calories for your activity level. My estimate of your TDEE requirements are around 2,500 minimum if I guestimated your calorie expenditure correctly. And yes, your numbers are great, not good. Seems I always get in trouble using the wrong adjectives on this forum. lol. I wish you would post pics because I can't for the life of me understand why you are even worried about losing weight or even maintaining your current weight. Your current BMI is 21, which is low to mid normal for you. You could probably stand to gain a pound or two and I mean that in the nicest way, but you definitely don't need to lose.

Start logging again just to get a good grasp on your numbers, and get a HMR to see what you are actually burning during exercise. The only way to know what works for you is to know your numbers.

This - looking at Aug 6, you are eating much too little for your level of activity. You are a 53 year old bloke, not a 18-year old girl, so, honestly, you should know better. I eat more than you and lose weight and I am a 44 year old woman going through menopause.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Then that needs to be made clear, because perhaps this person is eating at TDEE and then thinking they should eat more. That's why telling people to eat more doesn't work for everyone. Plus, I really don't believe in starvation mode.

Yeah, people who are doing EM2WL don't go around telling everyone to eat over their TDEE, they tell people to check out the group which defines what it is or they tell the person how it works. It's the people who don't know what it is who don't read threads fully and don't read the definitions that make comments like the ones in this thread.

FIST PUMP !

Read, educate yourself. Knowledge is POWER
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You are eating WAY too little for all that exercise. Cut back on the cardio to only maybe 3 times a week, you're over-doing it and work on FULL body weight lifting 3 times a week instead of just upper body.

Edited to say that I eat as much as you WITHOUT doing any exercise and will keep losing so eat up!!
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options

And you lack reading comprehension skills. I don't care to read about EM2WL, I'm doing fine. I said it should be made clear to people like the OP. Maybe point that person to whatever group you're talking about. I don't give a crap about it.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I would think with the workout and cardio I do I could eat anything and burn it off...probably not though

This was my downfall! I joined the gym two years ago and was doing cardio classes 4-5 days a week and didn't change my eating habits. I initially lost10 pounds but couldn't budge from there. I had the same exact thought "I'm working out hard so I can eat all this stuff and it won't hurt!" Once I started using MFP and actually paying attention to my food consumption I then lost the rest of the weight.

P.S. I eat ice cream or cookies ever day:tongue:

ETA: after reading the rest of the posts and your calorie consumption, sounds like you need to eat more. Do you eat your exercise calories? Also you have to "eat more" for more than a couple days (more like a month) before you can say it doesn't work.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I think you read too much into things...

I've read your comments in your previous threads. You mention that people in your life are concerned you're too thin. It also sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with the scale as well. I really think you should be more concerned about seeing a professional to help you, rather than with the answer to this thread.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I watched the video, not sure who this guy is but i can show you tons of different videos on You Tube and many people have different ideas of what is right...some say cardio everyday is fine and works...others say no...so what do you do....I dont do 1 hr of cardio everyday...I do Tabatas one day then cardio etc but usually 7 days a week...so If I take a day off a week and bump my carbs/calories ??
    Again I dont want to loose weight just be and feel healthy...thank you all for your ideas/ help