how overrated is/was the SEC this season?

Options
n0ob
n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
Laying some eggs out there...

only Bama and A&M left to save the conference (Ole Miss isn't important enough to matter).

Replies

• n0ob
    Options
    no football fans around here?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Missouri.gif
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bama will win the title.....does that make you angry?
  • n0ob
    Options
    Mizzou...wow, they laid an ostritch egg this year. And no, Bama winning wouldn't make me angry.

Having to put up with Notre Dame worship should they win would be FAR more annoying.
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

They will have to share it with the undefeated OHIO STATE BUCKEYES!
  • n0ob
    Options

Dat's funny right there...I don't care who you are.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    You can't possibly count the Irish out !!!
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Having to put up with Notre Dame worship should they win would be FAR more annoying.

so true
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    It's been an overrated conference since ESPN took a financial interest by getting the TV rights. They also have a financial interest in the Big 10+2.

Now, the top 2-3 teams in the SEC are typically solid, but the rest of the conference this year is trash.

Remember, ATM was a 5th/6th place Big 12 team. It took them a move to the SEC for them to win 10 games.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    And no, Bama winning wouldn't make me angry.

this is the only reason i will be rooting for bama.
  • Windy_
    Options

Funny, but true! They aren't banned from winning/sharing the title. If...when...Notre dame loses they will be the only undefeated team.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    You can't possibly count the Irish out !!!

you really can't. especially when they will likely have referees on their side.

By the way, now that ND is winning, I bet no one is counting Coach Kelly's expletives on the sidelines.
  • n0ob
    Options
    It's been an overrated conference since ESPN took a financial interest by getting the TV rights. They also have a financial interest in the Big 10+2.

Now, the top 2-3 teams in the SEC are typically solid, but the rest of the conference this year is trash.

Remember, ATM was a 5th/6th place Big 12 team. It took them a move to the SEC for them to win 10 games.

What's scary about A&M is that nobody has really run that kind of offense with remotely elite level recruits or an elite o-line. The pontential is there if defensive recruiting can keep up and they can have a serviceable defense every year like this season. Current recruiting is kind of skewed by the sheer numbers in their class, but solid top of their class at worst.
  • wolverine66
    Options

Funny, but true! They aren't banned from winning/sharing the title. If...when...Notre dame loses they will be the only undefeated team.

they can only win the AP title, and - i hate to break it to you - that's not going to happen.

being undefeated means little. Ask Auburn from 2004.
  • Windy_
    Options

they can only win the AP title, and - i hate to break it to you - that's not going to happen.

Eh, I know, but I just like that it's a possibility.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I think it'll be an awesome game, but I'm hoping Bama pulls out the win. And No, the SEC is not overrated. ;-) Look at Alabama's stats and then look at Ohio's stats. Even if Ohio is 12-0, the right teams are playing for the National Champ title.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I think Georgia represented the SEC well this year and probably would have done a lot better then Florida last night.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I must admit I enjoyed the Florida game yesterday. But as a Michigan fan, I can't really say much about SEC overrating this year (well I can, but then I must also admit to my own teams overrating, which I will not submit to logic and do).
  • wolverine66
    Options
    I think it'll be an awesome game, but I'm hoping Bama pulls out the win. And No, the SEC is not overrated. ;-) Look at Alabama's stats and then look at Ohio's stats. Even if Ohio is 12-0, the right teams are playing for the National Champ title.

It is overrated. it would be difficult for the SEC to not be overrated. It's not their fault. They are not only touted as the best conference, but so far superior to all other conferences that ESPN can't fathom anyone beating any SEC team in any year (ok, that's some hyperbole, but still, the point is that SEC is given unrealistic expectations). And then LSU loses to Clemson, Miss St gets beat by Northwestern, Florida gets rolled by Louisville, etc. when prognosticators thought each would win by 1,000 points (again, hyperbole).

Media (especially ESPN) thinks the SEC resides somewhere between College football and the NFL, and it's just not true. So in that sense, they are overrated.
  • wolverine66
    Options

Eh, I know, but I just like that it's a possibility.

trust me, i understand that position