how overrated is/was the SEC this season?

Options

Replies

• christinet8504
    Options
    Gig 'em Aggies!!! :)
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    bama will win the title.....does that make you angry?

They will have to share it with the undefeated OHIO STATE BUCKEYES!

The Suckeyes? Gimme a break. They have not played anyone.
  • jenniferadouglas
    jenniferadouglas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    GO DUCKS!!!! =D
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    GO AGS!!!!!!!!!! WHOOP!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Notre Dame is only undefeated because they had extra players on the field wearing black and white. The Pitt game is a prime example. Bad calls stripped away points from Pitt that would have won the game without OT. There are several other examples this season as well. Crooked refs = Notre Dame #1. ND doesn't have a chance against Alabama.
  • sarahbethrn18
    sarahbethrn18 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    GO IRISH!!!

That is all.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Notre Dame has a chance IF they can hang with the 'Bama speed in the first quarter...Being about 10 minutes from Louisville I have been told how great U of L is and how they beat the #3 Gators and that the Gators were awesome...(ranked 114 in offense is not deserving of a #3 ranking)

WE ARE...PENN STATE
  • javajinny
    Options
    Roll Tide Roll!! While I think that individual teams should get more respect than they do, as an overall conference, the SEC really is the best, consistently putting out a number of great teams year after year. I was rather disappointed in a lot of their's bowl performances, though. Other conferences have a few stars, while most of the SEC's teams are stars.

Alabama just has to win the National Title. Not just because I'm a huge Bama fan, but for the same reason others have stated here: I just wouldn't be able to stomach the 10 years of ND worship that would ensue if they won. They were lucky a lot more often than they were good this year.
  • harvo
    Options

Interesting...the Big 10 sent 7 teams to bowl games with 2 of the better not being eligible...who is your team. BTW, as a PSU fan I am not defending OSU for sure...
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    hehehe go Notre Dame(gotta take a shower now)

I said the SEC was overrated a few months ago and got laughed off the board. Now I was mostly just playing around for fun. But I was semi right.

I was also laughed off for saying somebody would beat Bama! :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Not as good as they have been in the last few years, but still head and shoulders above everyone else.

Florida lost last night because they didn't show up.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Interesting...the Big 10 sent 7 teams to bowl games with 2 of the better not being eligible...who is your team. BTW, as a PSU fan I am not defending OSU for sure...

The Big 10 sent 7 teams to bowls. Only 2 won their games.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Gig 'em Aggies!!! :)

More like Gag 'em Maggots!! ;)

BOOMER!!!

Oh and to answer the OP, when is SEC NOT overrated?
  • harvo
    Options

The Big 10 sent 7 teams to bowls. Only 2 won their games.

Right and the Undefeated Buckeyes would have moved everyone down and Penn State would have easily been more competitive than Purdue....
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Roll Tide Roll!! While I think that individual teams should get more respect than they do, as an overall conference, the SEC really is the best, consistently putting out a number of great teams year after year. I was rather disappointed in a lot of their's bowl performances, though. Other conferences have a few stars, while most of the SEC's teams are stars.

Being a star doesn't mean they are appropriately rated. See: Lindsey Lohan, Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton etc. They get bigger breaks and better opportunities because they are "stars" and not quality talents. That's why you get an LSU/Alabama re-match last year - because people believe they are better than they are because they are in the SEC. And that's the very definition of "overrated."

"stars" like Arkansas? Tennessee? Auburn?

I am coming from the stand point that they can be both the best conference and overrated at the same time, mind you. (Although, personally, I don't think they were the best this particular year).
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Ohio Schedule:
    Miami (OH) - nobody
    UCF - nobody
    California - nobody
    UAB - nobody
    Michigan St - won bowl game by 1 point against TCU
    Nebraska - lost bowl game to SEC
    Indiana - has a game standing of 4-8
    Purdue - lost bowl game to BIG12
    Penn St - has a game tanding of 8-4 and the only ranked team they beat is N'western
    Illinois - has a game standing of 2-10
    Wisconsin - lost bowl game to PAC12
    Michigan - lost bowl game to SEC

ETA: Ohio would lose against Alabama
  • harvo
    Options
    Ohio Schedule:
    Miami - nobody
    UCF - nobody
    California - nobody
    UAB - nobody
    Nebraska - lost bowl game
    Purdue - lost bowl game
    Penn St - has a game tanding of 8-4 and the only ranked team they beat is N'western
    Wisconsin - lost bowl game
    Michigan - lost bowl game
    [/quot

Penn State should have been 10-2 by the end of the season and we were understaffed due to sanctions. Would you say that Lousiville had a tougher schedule or Notre Dame for that matter?

Once again, who is your team?
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The SEC is overrated. It is impossible not to be when your top team is compared with bad NFL teams. That said, I would take the top 5 SEC teams against the top 5 teams from any other conference and be comfortable betting on winning 3 out of 5.
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Ohio Schedule:
    Miami (OH) - nobody
    UCF - nobody
    California - nobody
    UAB - nobody
    Nebraska - lost bowl game to SEC
    Purdue - lost bowl game to BIG12
    Wisconsin - lost bowl game to PAC12
    Michigan - lost bowl game to SEC

ETA: Ohio would lose against Alabama

I agree, their defense is ****. But, give it a year or two, now that they have Urban Meyer we'll see...
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Ohio Schedule:
    Miami - nobody
    UCF - nobody
    California - nobody
    UAB - nobody
    Nebraska - lost bowl game
    Purdue - lost bowl game
    Wisconsin - lost bowl game
    Michigan - lost bowl game

Penn State should have been 10-2 by the end of the season and we were understaffed due to sanctions. Would you say that Lousiville had a tougher schedule or Notre Dame for that matter?

Once again, who is your team?

Penn State wasnt 10-2, they were 8-4.

Notre Dame had a harder schedule than Louisville, but they technically lost games, however corrupt refs pushed them over. It doesn't change the fact that Notre Dame is now 12-0, but a stronger schedule isn't of value when you didn't earn your wins.

Also, Urban Meyers isn't that great. He steps in when there's a good team, bumps it up, then runs before it falls apart. UF for example.