how overrated is/was the SEC this season?

Options

Replies

• NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Mr Sane... Who is your team?

what conference are you a sports official for?
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options

pick one for me.

How about them FAU Owls

So you do not follow college football?
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Lets be honest. The SEC is good and they had their run, but in the next 2 years I see other conferences rising up.

Because you think they new playoff system will help the SEC stop dominating?
  • andreachirillo
    andreachirillo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Missouri.gif

<3<3
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

pick one for me.

How about them FAU Owls

how bout the East Carolina Pirates?

Southern Miss Eagles! 0 - 12 ! Perfect Record!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Lets be honest. The SEC is good and they had their run, but in the next 2 years I see other conferences rising up.

Because you think they new playoff system will help the SEC stop dominating?

Because the SEC isn't what it used to be and it's starting to crumble while other teams are rising up. The new BCS playoff system is a blasphemy and it will ruin bowl season even more.
  • harvo
    Options

what conference are you a sports official for?

I am currently working high school.
  • txteach09
    txteach09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    GIG 'EM AGS!!! Can't wait for the Cotton Bowl tomorrow!!! WHOOP!

--Fightin' Texas Aggie Member of the class of 2009!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

pick one for me.

How about them FAU Owls

how bout the East Carolina Pirates?

Southern Miss Eagles! 0 - 12 ! Perfect Record!

ohh and the Southern Miss Eagles with their 0-12 schedule only lost to Louisville 21-17. That's what I think of the SEC.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Being a star doesn't mean they are appropriately rated. See: Lindsey Lohan, Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton etc. They get bigger breaks and better opportunities because they are "stars" and not quality talents. That's why you get an LSU/Alabama re-match last year - because people believe they are better than they are because they are in the SEC. And that's the very definition of "overrated."

"stars" like Arkansas? Tennessee? Auburn?

You didn't really just compare athletes with TALENT to reality TV stars/heiresses, did you? give me a break...

I'm not the one who first used the term "stars," and you are going to try an ad hominem attack rather than dispute that teams get preferential treatment based on name recognition?

I got it. I'm sure my argument is completely invalidated. :wink:
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    GIG 'EM AGS!!! Can't wait for the Cotton Bowl tomorrow!!! WHOOP!

--Fightin' Texas Aggie Member of the class of 2009!

Whoop! Gig 'em Aggies!!

-- Fightin' Texas Aggie Member of the class of 2004!
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    well the ole miss coach isn't very good at all. He coached our college team before going to ole miss. Go bama!
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    they had their run. yes they're top 2-3 teams are amazing, but I wouldn't necessarily write home about the rest. the rest of the conferences are getting better and it's going to show.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    oh, and for those comparing teams...

knock yourself out:

http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com
  • harvo
    Options
    Here is the way I see it...about 4 maybe 5 years ago Kentucky had the 16th best recruiting class overall for that year. That left them behind 6 other SEC teams. Now recruits do not always pan out but your powerhouse teams have an easier time getting the big time recruit over those that are average.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    bama will win the title.....does that make you angry?

They will have to share it with the undefeated OHIO STATE BUCKEYES!

Dat's funny right there...I don't care who you are.

Funny, but true! They aren't banned from winning/sharing the title. If...when...Notre dame loses they will be the only undefeated team.

they can only win the AP title, and - i hate to break it to you - that's not going to happen.

being undefeated means little. Ask Auburn from 2004.

Exactly. But... btw... SEC is not overrated. We are by far the best conference in the nation. year after year. Hands down. How many SEC teams have won the national title consecutively now??

A) we are not talking individual teams. It's possible for a conference to have one great team, while the rest is trash. That doesn't make it a great conference. Of course the SEC has a more than one great team. B) I have already stated that it can be both the best conference as well as being overrated, because it is not really so far beyond all other conferences as people think.

And also, conferences fluctuate year to year. Some years are better than others. It just so happens that this year the SEC wasn't as godly as people think they are.
  • n0ob
    Options
    I also hope Oregon demolishes KSU. I admire Bill Snyder, but his team is boring.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    had tOSU been able to compete, they'd be in over Bama without a doubt and that would have been with merit.

0 loss>>> no loss.

I have a ton of respect for the SEC as a conference. However, this season the SEC was down. And you know the flat out arrogance of some SEC teams is the reason why UF played like a bunch of b*tches and lost. No heart. They felt they deserved a better opponant.

It was said that the Florida was upset that they were not playing for a national championship. This was the biggest game in U of L's history and it was a consolation game for Florida. Florida did their fans an injustice by not showing up.

I don't know if they felt that they deserved better, but they certainly didn't respect Louisville. Louisville took a lot of hard shots at teh beginning of that game, because Florida thought they could hit them a couple times and they'd roll over. Louisville played great, and they left 6 points on the field. The game wasn't as close as the score would indicate.

However, every year there is a debate over "does and undefeated X team get in over a 1 loss SEC team" and while Ohio State probably would have gone based on name recognition, there have been times when an undefeated team (I'm looking at you, Boise St.) gets downgraded because of conference. So, I'd like to think 0 > one loss, it's not always the case.
    It was said that the Florida was upset that they were not playing for a national championship. This was the biggest game in U of L's history and it was a consolation game for Florida. Florida did their fans an injustice by not showing up.

Really? Come on, now. Louisville is no stranger to bowl games, and this a) was not their first BCS bowl game and b) nor was it their first BCS bowl win. It was probably bigger for Louisville, but I think you're overstating when you dub it their biggest game in school history and make them seem like this was Hickory vs. South Bend (from Hoosiers)

I don't see how Florida could have thought they were candidates for the MNC when they weren't even in the SEC championship game.
  • n0ob
    Options

I don't see how Florida could have thought they were candidates for the MNC when they weren't even in the SEC championship game.

Hello, and welcome to last year...
  • wolverine66
    Options

Hello, and welcome to last year...

I didn't think it should have happened last year either.