how overrated is/was the SEC this season?

Options

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    had tOSU been able to compete, they'd be in over Bama without a doubt and that would have been with merit.

0 loss>>> no loss.

I have a ton of respect for the SEC as a conference. However, this season the SEC was down. And you know the flat out arrogance of some SEC teams is the reason why UF played like a bunch of b*tches and lost. No heart. They felt they deserved a better opponant.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    oh and I looked. ND had a harder schedule than Ohio.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Ohio Schedule:
    Miami - nobody
    UCF - nobody
    California - nobody
    UAB - nobody
    Michigan St - won bowl game by 1 point against TCU
    Nebraska - lost bowl game
    Indiana - has a game standing of 4-8
    Purdue - lost bowl game
    Penn St - has a game tanding of 8-4 and the only ranked team they beat is N'western
    Illinois - has a game standing of 2-10
    Wisconsin - lost bowl game
    Michigan - lost bowl game

Penn State should have been 10-2 by the end of the season and we were understaffed due to sanctions. Would you say that Lousiville had a tougher schedule or Notre Dame for that matter?

Once again, who is your team?

Penn State wasnt 10-2, they were 8-4.

Notre Dame had a harder schedule, but they technically lost games, however corrupt refs pushed them over. It doesn't change the fact that Notre Dame is now 12-0, but a stronger schedule isn't of value when you didn't earn your wins.

Also, Urban Meyers isn't that great. He steps in when there's a good team, bumps it up, then runs before it falls apart. UF for example.

PSU SHOULD HAVE BEEN..the first 2 games that were lost were due to new coach, new offense so they should have easily been 10 - 2 although officially they were 8-4.

Urban Meyer is one of the best coaches/recruiters in the NCAA. It would appear you are an SEC apologist or a Ky football fan....I see nothing supporting your opinions....
  • harvo
    Options
    had tOSU been able to compete, they'd be in over Bama without a doubt and that would have been with merit.

0 loss>>> no loss.

I have a ton of respect for the SEC as a conference. However, this season the SEC was down. And you know the flat out arrogance of some SEC teams is the reason why UF played like a bunch of b*tches and lost. No heart. They felt they deserved a better opponant.

:love: :love: :love: ^^^^ just be thankful you are not friends with a million Louisville fans.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Ohio Schedule:
    Miami - nobody
    UCF - nobody
    California - nobody
    UAB - nobody
    Purdue - lost bowl game
    Penn St - has a game tanding of 8-4 and the only ranked team they beat is N'western

Penn State should have been 10-2 by the end of the season and we were understaffed due to sanctions. Would you say that Lousiville had a tougher schedule or Notre Dame for that matter?

Notre Dame had a harder schedule, but they technically lost games, however corrupt refs pushed them over. It doesn't change the fact that Notre Dame is now 12-0, but a stronger schedule isn't of value when you didn't earn your wins.

Also, Urban Meyers isn't that great. He steps in when there's a good team, bumps it up, then runs before it falls apart. UF for example.

PSU SHOULD HAVE BEEN..the first 2 games that were lost were due to new coach, new offense so they should have easily been 10 - 2 although officially they were 8-4.

Urban Meyer is one of the best coaches/recruiters in the NCAA. It would appear you are an SEC apologist or a Ky football fan....I see nothing supporting your opinions....

Should have been = WASN'T

Urban Meyer is a plague. Even the ESPN hosts were mocking the **** storm he left at UF. He goes where he sees a team already ready to win. He isn't going to go to a Tennessee team and build it up. He doesn't have the ability to.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Ohio Schedule:
    Miami - nobody
    UCF - nobody
    California - nobody
    UAB - nobody
    Purdue - lost bowl game

That's funny stuff right there. . .
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    SEC football is the BEST! Diehard Carolina fan here. Go '*kitten*!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

0 loss>>> no loss.

The SEC is overrated this season without a doubt, but so is OSU.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

0 loss>>> no loss.

I don't know if they felt that they deserved better, but they certainly didn't respect Louisville. Louisville took a lot of hard shots at teh beginning of that game, because Florida thought they could hit them a couple times and they'd roll over. Louisville played great, and they left 6 points on the field. The game wasn't as close as the score would indicate.

However, every year there is a debate over "does and undefeated X team get in over a 1 loss SEC team" and while Ohio State probably would have gone based on name recognition, there have been times when an undefeated team (I'm looking at you, Boise St.) gets downgraded because of conference. So, I'd like to think 0 > one loss, it's not always the case.
  • harvo
    Options

0 loss>>> no loss.

It was said that the Florida was upset that they were not playing for a national championship. This was the biggest game in U of L's history and it was a consolation game for Florida. Florida did their fans an injustice by not showing up.

I don't know if they felt that they deserved better, but they certainly didn't respect Louisville. Louisville took a lot of hard shots at teh beginning of that game, because Florida thought they could hit them a couple times and they'd roll over. Louisville played great, and they left 6 points on the field. The game wasn't as close as the score would indicate.

However, every year there is a debate over "does and undefeated X team get in over a 1 loss SEC team" and while Ohio State probably would have gone based on name recognition, there have been times when an undefeated team (I'm looking at you, Boise St.) gets downgraded because of conference. So, I'd like to think 0 > one loss, it's not always the case.
    It was said that the Florida was upset that they were not playing for a national championship. This was the biggest game in U of L's history and it was a consolation game for Florida. Florida did their fans an injustice by not showing up.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Gig 'em Aggies!!! :)

^ this!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bama will win the title.....does that make you angry?

They will have to share it with the undefeated OHIO STATE BUCKEYES!

Dat's funny right there...I don't care who you are.

Funny, but true! They aren't banned from winning/sharing the title. If...when...Notre dame loses they will be the only undefeated team.

they can only win the AP title, and - i hate to break it to you - that's not going to happen.

being undefeated means little. Ask Auburn from 2004.

Exactly. But... btw... SEC is not overrated. We are by far the best conference in the nation. year after year. Hands down. How many SEC teams have won the national title consecutively now??
  • harvo
    Options
    Mr Sane... Who is your team?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    SEC is typically strong but this year was an off year. As one of my FB friends said this is a great case in point for trashing the bowl system and establishing a true College play off system... Of course $$$$$$$$$ will keep that from happening for quite a while.

I think some of the teams this year let the hype about SEC dominance get in their head... Florida last night was a great case in point. They let a virtually unranked Louisville team dominate them from the first play of the game.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Funny, but true! They aren't banned from winning/sharing the title. If...when...Notre dame loses they will be the only undefeated team.

they can only win the AP title, and - i hate to break it to you - that's not going to happen.

Exactly. But... btw... SEC is not overrated. We are by far the best conference in the nation. year after year. Hands down. How many SEC teams have won the national title consecutively now??

Lets be honest. The SEC is good and they had their run, but in the next 2 years I see other conferences rising up.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Roll Tide Roll!! While I think that individual teams should get more respect than they do, as an overall conference, the SEC really is the best, consistently putting out a number of great teams year after year. I was rather disappointed in a lot of their's bowl performances, though. Other conferences have a few stars, while most of the SEC's teams are stars.

Alabama just has to win the National Title. Not just because I'm a huge Bama fan, but for the same reason others have stated here: I just wouldn't be able to stomach the 10 years of ND worship that would ensue if they won. They were lucky a lot more often than they were good this year.

Most of the SEC's teams are stars??

lmao, really? A few outstanding teams, the rest are mediocre at best.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

pick one for me.

How about them FAU Owls
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Maybe they've been the best conference the last 10 years. And they are no longer *by far* the best conference.
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

pick one for me.

How about them FAU Owls

how bout the East Carolina Pirates?
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Being a star doesn't mean they are appropriately rated. See: Lindsey Lohan, Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton etc. They get bigger breaks and better opportunities because they are "stars" and not quality talents. That's why you get an LSU/Alabama re-match last year - because people believe they are better than they are because they are in the SEC. And that's the very definition of "overrated."

"stars" like Arkansas? Tennessee? Auburn?

You didn't really just compare athletes with TALENT to reality TV stars/heiresses, did you? give me a break...