What's in your Oatmeal?

Options
123457»

Replies

• amgrace
    Options
    Water, tablespoon of cocoa powder, and a few carob chips. Sometimes I add walnuts or almonds as well.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what you mix in it, if you like it sweet (i do!) to cut back on sugar you can try this: spread it thin in a shallow pan (glass type thing) and bake it (without any sugar or sweetener yet). Then cut into squares and put in the fridge (you can make a bunch at a time this way). When you are ready to eat, cook on the stove like a pancake or hamburger (0 calorie butter spray is good) - cooking on each side, or even microwave it. Then after it is on your plate, sprinkle some sugar on the top (or spread honey thinly across the top). You use a LOT less this way, and it tastes MORE sweet because you get the sugar or honey in every single bite, and it is the first thing you taste, so you dont notice the oatmeal is not really sweet (it mixes all up in your mouth).

If I put sugar in oatmeal, I have to use several teaspoons in one bowl for it to be sweet enough for me, but doing it this way I can use about 1/2 teaspoon per serving. The more shallow the pan the better (i like it about 1/2 inch tall squares) . And cinn/sugar sprinkle is awesome :)
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I cook it as directed in the microwave, add two scoops of Body By Vi shake mix, one tbsp of cocoa powder, and dash of cinnamon. Tastes awesome!
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like to slice up half a banana, add a little bit of brown sugar, and some cashews for crunch
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    2 tbs creamy Peanut butter
    1 c. skim milk
    2 tsp Brown sugar.

It's a peanut butter cookie for breakfast! Also because of the protein and fiber, Its good to go to the gym after eating it =)
  • dianatogo
    Options
    1/2 c. quaker old fashioned oats, mix with water, add cinnamon, nuke for one minute, sprinkle honey crisp with almond cereal on top add a dash of milk....all yum
  • lulu3elbe
    lulu3elbe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats and I usually add a half handful of chopped raw almonds, whatever fresh berries I have, and a little local honey. So tasty!!!
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    BASE INGREDIENTS:

❤ organic coconut sugar

❤ any homemade nut milk: almond, walnut, or pecan

ANY TOPPING/FLAVORS:

❤ banana

❤ organic chia seeds

❤ matcha

❤ organic chocolate chips (dairy-free)

❤ strawberries

❤ imitation vanilla butter & nut flavoring

❤ 100% cacao powder

❤ walnuts

I like to switch it up depending on what i'm craving.
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Almond milk, mashed bananas, blueberries, banana chunks, peanut butter. SOmetimes frozen raspberries!
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    almond milk, banana, and peanutbutter.

Sometimes brown sugar. and butter mmmmmm!!!
  • oxlisaxo91
    oxlisaxo91 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats, they are to DIE for especially if you have a sweet tooth.
    I put (rough guess off the top of my head)
    1/2 Cup of Oats
    1 scoop (25g) chocolate protein powder
    1/2 cup skim or unsweetened almond milk
    1/4 cup plain Greek yoghurt
    And a chopped up date for sweetness.
    Cover & put in the fridge overnight, then pull it out next morning and scoff it down!
    It's so rich & amazing. If you preplan its great for those mornings you know you won't even have time to make toast!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I put porridge seeds in mine.
  • ellis222
    ellis222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup quaker old fashioned rolled oats
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1 cup water

Microwave 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir til creamy. Add whatever fruit is available.

Keeps me going all morning.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats so I don't have to think in the morning! 1/2 c oats, 1/2 c raw 2% milk, 1/2 c Fage 0%, 1 Tbsp chia seeds, 1 Tbsp honey, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and a couple dashes of cinnamon. Then in the morning I add some sort of fruit, stir, and eat.

I love all of these ideas, especially maple syrup instead of the honey... also the pineapple in warm oatmeal. Yum!
  • mscountrygirl39456
    mscountrygirl39456 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oatmeal(cooked with water), 1 tsp sugar, 2 tbsp semi sweet chocolate chips
    Mix together........ 335 calories
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I don't like oatmeal prepared the standard way. To me, it's too mushy and slimy. Not a texture I like. However, I DO like baked oatmeal. Actually, I'm obsessed with it, and I make it a zillion different ways, from "standard" sweet fruity breakfast-y concoctions, to stuff involving chocolate/cocoa that makes it more of a dessert, to veggie concoctions with savory spices that are more like a meatloaf, although it contains no meat. I bake them in single-serving ramekins, since I'm a single person. Yum yum.

This, a sweet one, is one of my faves: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/09/09/cinnamon-roll-baked-oatmeal/

IIRC, that was the recipe that started me on the baked oatmeal obsession. I have them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, depending on the kind, and they're easy to make, healthy, and generally less than 400 calories a pop.
  • Nininina24
    Nininina24 Posts: 29
    Options
    1/4 C Old fashioned oats
    1/4 C Silk Soy milk Lite vanilla
    1 TBSP PB2
    1/2 C frozen strawberries
    1/2 C frozen blueberries
    2 Raw Stevia packets
    TSP Honey
    Tons of Cinnamon
    1 TBSP milled flax seed
    some times 1/2 scoop of casein or whey
    sometimes egg whites
    sometimes 1/2 banana
    1TBSP chopped walnuts or pecans

BOOM! lol every morning same thing. FAVORITE breakfast. Whey waffles are good and low calorie as well!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I can't have dairy, so I cook it with almond milk and add dried fruit/peanut butter. If it needs any extra sweetener, I add some stevia. The best kind of oatmeal is steel-cut. It has awesome texture, but it does take longer to cook.