Spring Couch to 5K

Options

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread. I didn't realize so many people were doing C25K. I finished W4D2 last night. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, where I will finish W4!

Glad you found us!! Keep us posted - way to go finishing week 4. Week 5 was scary to me, but it's not as hard as I was afraid it would be. Maybe ask me again after the 20 minute run Sat though :laugh:
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Wait, there's one I can use with my own music?? What?!?! Yes! I've been using this one: http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86 which is a lot more motivating for me than the generic music in the background... but my own music! So exciting.

This is my second time attempting the C25k. This time I'm taking two weeks for a week when I recognize I need it, and I am definitely getting through better than during the last attempt. Good luck all!

Good luck to you also! I'm sure you will do it this time :smile:
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Week 5 completed!! Woohoo!!! I really can't believe that I ran for 20 minutes. :drinker: Very cool though. I even did it at home, on the street. The incline isn't much, but I sure felt it!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Way to go MTGirl!

I finished Week 7 today. At least I think it's week 7, it's the week with the 2.5 mile/25 minute runs. Had a lovely asthma attack during my run yesterday, which was really less than fun. Thankfully, it was near the end of my run so I was able to slow down and jog the last .2 miles. I've found that if I just stop running altogether, my breathing gets even more labored and I'm in REALLY big trouble. I'm still getting used to this whole asthma thing and often forget to take my inhaler before I run.
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Way to go MTGirl!

I finished Week 7 today. At least I think it's week 7, it's the week with the 2.5 mile/25 minute runs. Had a lovely asthma attack during my run yesterday, which was really less than fun. Thankfully, it was near the end of my run so I was able to slow down and jog the last .2 miles. I've found that if I just stop running altogether, my breathing gets even more labored and I'm in REALLY big trouble. I'm still getting used to this whole asthma thing and often forget to take my inhaler before I run.

Better remember that inhaler! It's amazing the things we learn about ourselves and our bodies in the process of getting healthier! Glad you made it through though - week 7. Wow! I will start week 6 tomorrow. Yay!
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    I know. The inhaler is KEY, but I only got diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma back in 2008. Then I got overloaded with injuries and physical therapy and didn't need it :)

Ran 2.8+ today with no shoe-tying breaks (or any other breaks) in 28:12. I actually enjoyed my run...changed my course up a bit and it was definitely better scenery. I'm enjoying having my foot pod communicate to my HRM as I can see my average speed and max speed after my run. Trying to close the space between the two so I run at a more consistent pace :)
  • MTGirl
    Options
    I know. The inhaler is KEY, but I only got diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma back in 2008. Then I got overloaded with injuries and physical therapy and didn't need it :)

Ran 2.8+ today with no shoe-tying breaks (or any other breaks) in 28:12. I actually enjoyed my run...changed my course up a bit and it was definitely better scenery. I'm enjoying having my foot pod communicate to my HRM as I can see my average speed and max speed after my run. Trying to close the space between the two so I run at a more consistent pace :)

Very cool! Good scenery always helps. That sounds like an awesome run. I'll have to drive my route I ran Sat and see how far I made it in the 20 minutes. Not 2 miles though! But I'm going for time right now, will work on speed later :tongue:
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Week 6, day 1 in the bag!! It just about killed me. One of these days I'll learn not to eat a bunch of sugar when I'm running after work. It is just soooo much harder :noway:
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    Yayyyy! Good work! I initially went just for time, but then I switched over when there were no more walking intervals. You have a bit more time than I do as well...I'm cutting it close. I finish C25K next Thursday (if everything goes as planned) and my race is on Saturday.

I did the same exact route today and cut off 61 seconds. 2.8-2.9 miles in 27:11! I'm excited. I'm hoping for a sub-30 minute 5K, but I'm running with my sister and I promised to stick with her. My goal is to not walk at all, even if she does :)
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Jill - you might have to recant that promise to stick with her then!! LOL. Good luck on your race!! You'll do awesome :drinker:

My race will actually be my last run of the program! Kind of rocks that it turned out that way. But it's only a 2 mile race, not a 5K. I think I may sign up for a 5K held mid-June. Not sure yet, gotta have $ and have none right now.

Next week I get no more walking intervals :noway: Kind of looking forward to it, while dreading it at the same time!! I'll do W6, D2 tomorrow, and then Sat is the 25 minute run. I think it's supposed to be nice so I'm hoping to either go to the little man made lake close or to the park by the river. Will be fun!! Except I have to work Sat :grumble:
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Week 6, Day 2 is in the bag. Those 10 minuters were tough! I don't know about the 25 minutes on Sat. :sick: Little scary!
  • BrandyLiz
    BrandyLiz Posts: 14
    Options
    W7D3 is on Saturday which is also my race day! I'm a slow runner, so I know I will not finish in 30 minutes, but I will run the whole race!
  • MTGirl
    Options
    W7D3 is on Saturday which is also my race day! I'm a slow runner, so I know I will not finish in 30 minutes, but I will run the whole race!

Very cool, although week 7 is only 25 minute runs. But finishing a 5K shouldn't be out of the question - let us know how it goes!! Adreneline does a lot on race day!
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Completed Week 6! I feel like I should celebrate :drinker: That 25 minute run was tough. And I get 3 next week!! Hopefully they will get better. I am very proud of myself - I will be able to run the 2 miles at the Women's Run 5/8. (I hit about 2 miles today) and I will keep going and hope to complete a 5k in June. But, I gotta tell you, this better get a little easier! Would help if I could actually lose some weight :grumble: Still trying though!
  • BrandyLiz
    BrandyLiz Posts: 14
    Options
    The 5k was great! I finished in 37 minutes. Was aiming for somewhere between 35 and 38. Like I said, slow runner. No 10 minute miles here. I did run the whole thing though! I'm going to try to do another in May...hoping to be able to knock at least 2 minutes off my time!
  • MTGirl
    Options
    That is awesome BrandyLiz!! I'm so excited for you :drinker: I start week 7 tonight. :smokin: Definately on the downhill side!
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Completed W7D1 last night. I didn't run nearly as far as I did Sat. Maybe because it was at the end of a loooong work day instead of mid-day. I only made it 1.75 miles during the 25 minutes and I know I was right at 2 miles Sat. But, 1 more lap and I would have been 2 miles and still under 30 minutes so I know I'm good to rock on race day - 5/8. I just need to complete the 2 miles in under 30 minutes because I said I would and there is a different starting corral for under and over 30 minutes. Plus - 7 more runs to improve until race day. :)
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    Way to go ladies!

I'm bummed...injured myself running on Thursday. My ITBS is acting up and causing my right ankle and right knee injuries to also act up. I took 3 days off from running and 2 days off all exercise. Ran 3.3 yesterday in 34:11, which isn't terrible considering the pain I was in. Got hit with a bad cold last night so my throat/chest are killing me. I might try and run tomorrow...even if it's splitting up 3.3 miles into 1.1 mile runs with .5 mile walks in between. Frustrated beyond belief right now. But I will do the best I can to run that 5K Saturday and not cause further damage :)
  • MTGirl
    Options
    I started week 8 yesterday. 28 minutes! Never really thought I'd get here. This fat chick ran 28 minutes - only got 2 miles done, but hey, I'm proud! I know for sure I haven't run 2 miles since I was 16 years old. I am totally amazed. The funny thing is I was about 140 lbs then and I think it took me just about as long to run the 2 miles then!
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Yay - Week 8, day 2 completed! I guess this thread is dead, dead, dead. I'll join you all over at the other couch 2 5k thread!