Did Jillian Michaels Go Too Far on BL?

Options

Replies

• BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    people who give up on all their dreams in life because someone yells :drinker:

this!!

Step 1:
    Be a jerk to someone

Step 2:
    Tell the person they are just too weak to handle it or that you have to do this because they are weak

Step 3:
    The person believes they are weak, and doesn't try to be stronger

Step 4:
    Food doesn't judge, yell, or tell you how weak you are.

Step 1:
    Be a jerk to someone
    (subjective - youre one of the most sensitive people on MFP - so let's start here by saying what you consider to be 'jerky' i consider to be honest motivation)

Step 2:
    Tell the person they are just too weak to handle it or that you have to do this because they are weak
    (fact - if you cant pick something up - you are too weak to pick it up. You have to get stronger - I dont see the problem here)

Step 3:
    The person believes they are weak, and doesn't try to be stronger
    (that person didn't want it to begin with apparently, if they think that being weak means you cannot get strong so they just give up. lame)

Step 4:
    Food doesn't judge, yell, or tell you how weak you are.
    (how the hell is food the fourth step in motivation and exercise. Food doesn't do anything. It's just some hot or cold stuff on the table on a plate. you might as well say tires dont yell at you, front doors dont judge you and your mailbox wont ever tell you how weak you are.)

Step 1. Tell them the truth
    Step 2. Explain that they have a long way to go.
    Step 3. When they accept that, help them get there.
    Step 4. High five them every time they progress.

Who's fault is it if they quit between step 2 and step 3?

THEIR OWN FAULT.

If you cant stay motivated on a tv show, then you just dont want it.

You may want the reward, I dont doubt that. But you dont want the change.

Thank you for this Yoovie. It's just what I needed today..

::slow clap::
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    On that ranch they make the contestants work hard and lose fast because of the seriousness of their weight issue

nope. not even a little bit true. they make them work hard and fast because it's dramatic and good for ratings. Why would any reputable weight loss program go for "hard and fast" when that has been proven time and time again to FAIL. (have you see any of the "where are they now?" most contestants put the weight back on.)

I've been to a real "fat camp", with morbidly obese people, and there is no constant yelling and judging and degrading. there is understanding and education and encouragement. Do they sometimes say things people don't want to hear? sure, but they aren't mean, they don't try to tear you down, they try to build you up.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Manufactured drama?
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thought it was like a boot camp last night. Don't like watching them workout till the people are sick. Just turned the tv off and went to bed.

Keep in mind these people have never exercised a day in their lives. And I know the first time I took a bootcamp class, I felt like I was going to puke - and I had been working out for months prior to that! I think it's just the body's response to an intense workout.

Exactly! I felt like I was going to be sick at the gym a lot when I started my changes. Scheduling and illness kept me out of the gym most of December. Wghen I went in this morning, I kicked my own *kitten* in gear and worked it hard, I didn't toss my cookies ot water but I sure did feel like I was going to a few times. Some people don't adjust well to crossing their comfort zones... the body responds to make them think they SHOULDN'T do something. All of these people knew what was going to be expected of them.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

THEIR OWN FAULT.

I meant emotional weakness. I'm "sensitive" on this subject because of repeated harassment at a young age, especially, as I said, from doctors who among other things didn't speak to one another and didn't realize that the reason I wasn't losing weight when put on a special plan by a nutritionist and following said plan was due to side effects from medication from another doctor, even though a ten minute search of the studies on that medication should have told them that possible side effects include low thyroid and weight gain.

snowflake syndrome.

getting fit, getting strong, makes you mentally and emotionally stronger. finding every reason in the book to NOT apply yourself to something, will guarantee that you never get stronger, mentally, emotionally or any way.

Avoid effort, avoid accepting that you CAN actually do something, avoid thinking you were the only kid ever picked on and therefore unable to change your life as an adult. Someday you're just gonna have to get over it. School is over. Life is now. Stop waiting to recover from childhood and start creating your adulthood.
    I wasn't talking about physical weakness- that would be stupid. I meant people talking about how if you feel like, say you can't keep going after a certain point and need a break, like the people who continue to exercise after they puke instead of taking a rest and getting back to it at a later point, you must be weak willed. Weak of spirit. I have a problem with telling people they are weak or breaking down their self esteem when they try and fail because it develops in many people a "Why should I try when it's hard and I'll just fail because I'm weak and bad and I suck and whatever I will just do nothing." attitude. Saying to someone "you can't run a mile" is fine. Saying to someone "I know you can't run a mile, but you will be able to if you follow this plan." is better. Saying to someone "You can't run a mile because you're lazy and you don't want it enough and you have no will power." is saying "you should probably just give up now, you are going to fail."

that's exactly what it is. it's weak will.

You see people who have been comfortable for years and years and years and you push them and the first time they get a little out of their comfort zone, they need a break. they don't need a break. They just think they do. They are not used to pushing themselves and she has to do it for them. Too many people have been coddling them, holding their hands and making excuses for them and buying into their special snowflake BS. OBVIOUSLY THAT IS NOT WORKING.

And why isnt it working? They never push themselves to conquer and finish ANYTHING. They live the life of excuse royalty. EXCUSE ROYALTY.

I dont care about your bad ankles, your bad hip, what runs in your family, the amount of money you make, whether or not you smoke, whether you think you look funny.... one thing works for all people. Eat right. Drink Water. Exercise. Get enough sleep. ALL PEOPLE.

They start slipping into those excuses in their heads because they are so mentally weak and she wont deal with it. Who has time for that? You deal with that. It's not your trainer's job. They put you in a position to get stronger- so rise to the task or give up and stop complaining.
    As for step 4- binging on carbs is a symptom of depression....

lol ok wait - before I finish reading this paragraph - I need to rewrite this:
    As for step 4- mindlessly indulging in destructive behavior is a symptom of depression.... for many people because of "comfort eating" reminding them of childhood, but also because a binge on those foods will trigger chemicals in the brain that make them feel better. One great way to counter this as a person who suffers from depression is knowing that there are exercises I CAN do that will also make me feel better, both in the short term and the longer term as well. The problem is that a lot of people who are overweight only think of exercise as something painful that they aren't good at. Something as simple and painless as going for a walk can help you get in better shape and improve your mood exponentially.

Just because we need to be solution and goal oriented in order to get in shape does not mean we should discount the fact that society and family both play a role in why we got this way to begin with. It does not mean we should not actively try to make changes to the system to make it easier for everyone, including future generations, to live a healthy lifestyle. That's what I'm saying. I agree with the majority of what you posted, I just think this show focuses on getting someone else to yell at you and force you to do the work, which makes some people think they need someone else to get into shape, like that guy who waited 2 years to go on BL instead of making changes in his own life, but it also makes people who are naturally more active or less prone to carry extra fat think that they are "helping" somehow by breaking down the self esteem of fat people. What I was trying to communicate is that once my self esteem started going up, I wanted to take care of my body and lose fat. When it was low, I figured I'd try and fail anyway and hid in my bed all day.

If you put as much effort into working out as you do talking about why people should be allowed to get away with doing nothing and still getting their hands held, you'd be a rockstar.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I think they go too far all the time, including their training methods.

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

It's the only show I've seen where people get upset that they "only" lost 20lbs their first week. You'll see plenty of posters around here who expect the same results these people on tv are having.

Plus I don't think you really learn much about a healthy lifestyle if you're taken from your family, home, and job and given a personal trainer and pre-planned meals for a couple months. Losing weight on your own as a part of your regular life is really a better way to go.
    I think it's MUCH better way to go about it, on your own. It's easier and healthier I'm sure.
    I have to say I was really disheartened by a man on the show .... who said he'd been waiting TWO YEARS to get on the show and lose weight.
    All I could think... is if he had found something like MFP and already implemented the changes in his life two years ago.... he wouldn't need the show.

Gonzo was thinking EXACTLY what I was thinking. In the 2 1/2 years he's been WAITING to get on the show he could've lost AT LEAST 60lbs and learned how to do it on his own at home. And used that intel to keep the family from ever having weight issues of their own. The guy supposedly promised his kid he'd lose the weight. WTF were you waiting for?

This. My wife and I were cussing at him quite a bit when we hear how long he's been waiting. Lazy anyone?

I thought the same thing. His story was sad and he's completely right, his weight MAY have played a role in the accident.... So he has REALLY been very freaking lucky another one hasn't occured in the two years he was sitting around blaming not getting on a tv show for why he hasn't lost. I was upset to see him go though. CLEARLY he needed to be in an environment like that to be successful. I am glad he took what he learned home and continued to lose on his own. I am interested to see him at the finale

The worst part is they showed a clip of them driving in their van taken some time recently like right before the show started filming and the poor kid was still locked in his car seat right behind dad. They might want to move him to the other side or the back row- just sayin.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options

THEIR OWN FAULT.

I meant emotional weakness. I'm "sensitive" on this subject because of repeated harassment at a young age, especially, as I said, from doctors who among other things didn't speak to one another and didn't realize that the reason I wasn't losing weight when put on a special plan by a nutritionist and following said plan was due to side effects from medication from another doctor, even though a ten minute search of the studies on that medication should have told them that possible side effects include low thyroid and weight gain.

snowflake syndrome.

getting fit, getting strong, makes you mentally and emotionally stronger. finding every reason in the book to NOT apply yourself to something, will guarantee that you never get stronger, mentally, emotionally or any way.

Avoid effort, avoid accepting that you CAN actually do something, avoid thinking you were the only kid ever picked on and therefore unable to change your life as an adult. Someday you're just gonna have to get over it. School is over. Life is now. Stop waiting to recover from childhood and start creating your adulthood.
    I wasn't talking about physical weakness- that would be stupid. I meant people talking about how if you feel like, say you can't keep going after a certain point and need a break, like the people who continue to exercise after they puke instead of taking a rest and getting back to it at a later point, you must be weak willed. Weak of spirit. I have a problem with telling people they are weak or breaking down their self esteem when they try and fail because it develops in many people a "Why should I try when it's hard and I'll just fail because I'm weak and bad and I suck and whatever I will just do nothing." attitude. Saying to someone "you can't run a mile" is fine. Saying to someone "I know you can't run a mile, but you will be able to if you follow this plan." is better. Saying to someone "You can't run a mile because you're lazy and you don't want it enough and you have no will power." is saying "you should probably just give up now, you are going to fail."

that's exactly what it is. it's weak will.

You see people who have been comfortable for years and years and years and you push them and the first time they get a little out of their comfort zone, they need a break. they don't need a break. They just think they do. They are not used to pushing themselves and she has to do it for them. Too many people have been coddling them, holding their hands and making excuses for them and buying into their special snowflake BS. OBVIOUSLY THAT IS NOT WORKING.

And why isnt it working? They never push themselves to conquer and finish ANYTHING. They live the life of excuse royalty. EXCUSE ROYALTY.

I dont care about your bad ankles, your bad hip, what runs in your family, the amount of money you make, whether or not you smoke, whether you think you look funny.... one thing works for all people. Eat right. Drink Water. Exercise. Get enough sleep. ALL PEOPLE.

They start slipping into those excuses in their heads because they are so mentally weak and she wont deal with it. Who has time for that? You deal with that. It's not your trainer's job. They put you in a position to get stronger- so rise to the task or give up and stop complaining.
    As for step 4- binging on carbs is a symptom of depression....

lol ok wait - before I finish reading this paragraph - I need to rewrite this:
    As for step 4- mindlessly indulging in destructive behavior is a symptom of depression.... for many people because of "comfort eating" reminding them of childhood, but also because a binge on those foods will trigger chemicals in the brain that make them feel better. One great way to counter this as a person who suffers from depression is knowing that there are exercises I CAN do that will also make me feel better, both in the short term and the longer term as well. The problem is that a lot of people who are overweight only think of exercise as something painful that they aren't good at. Something as simple and painless as going for a walk can help you get in better shape and improve your mood exponentially.

Just because we need to be solution and goal oriented in order to get in shape does not mean we should discount the fact that society and family both play a role in why we got this way to begin with. It does not mean we should not actively try to make changes to the system to make it easier for everyone, including future generations, to live a healthy lifestyle. That's what I'm saying. I agree with the majority of what you posted, I just think this show focuses on getting someone else to yell at you and force you to do the work, which makes some people think they need someone else to get into shape, like that guy who waited 2 years to go on BL instead of making changes in his own life, but it also makes people who are naturally more active or less prone to carry extra fat think that they are "helping" somehow by breaking down the self esteem of fat people. What I was trying to communicate is that once my self esteem started going up, I wanted to take care of my body and lose fat. When it was low, I figured I'd try and fail anyway and hid in my bed all day.

If you put as much effort into working out as you do talking about why people should be allowed to get away with doing nothing and still getting their hands held, you'd be a rockstar.

I'm going to stop. I could link to studies that prove that what I'm saying is a reality for many people. I could talk to you about how much I have lost already before using MFP. I could make comparisons to people who engage in other "self destructive behavior" and give examples of studies showing that bullying and playing the blame game doesn't work as well as identifying what caused the behavior and identifying solutions that don't involve turning to said behavior. I could say a lot of things but it's really obvious that you aren't listening to anything I'm saying other than figuring out when to insert the same retorts that get used on every website from 4chan to the new york times whenever people want to trot out the same old whining about how no one who ever acknowledges that something is harder than it needs to be and that it needs to be changed could ever possibly do anything worthwhile, and we all just want people to do it for us.

Plus, I'm sure some people would like to talk about this TV show. Sorry to the people who aren't whiny randroids for derailing your thread about Biggest Loser. Hopefully after I leave this thread the buzzword spouters will leave to and you can get back to discussing whatever it is.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have to say I was really disheartened by a man on the show .... who said he'd been waiting TWO YEARS to get on the show and lose weight.
    All I could think... is if he had found something like MFP and already implemented the changes in his life two years ago.... he wouldn't need the show.

THIS.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

<snip>

Emotionally weak? The answer is the same: GET STRONG! It's a different journey than physical strength, but no less important. You can't go through life letting people walk all over you.
  • yoovie
    Options

<snip>

Emotionally weak? The answer is the same: GET STRONG! It's a different journey than physical strength, but no less important. You can't go through life letting people walk all over you.

^ this.

GETTING PHYSICALLY STRONGER MAKES YOU MENTALLY AND EMOTIONALLY STRONGER AND BETTER ABLE TO COPE WITH LIFE IN HEALTHY WAYS.

Im not throwing buzz words around - im sorry that people have been throwing the truth at you for so long that you now believe it's propaganda.

You could use a little Jillian.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i was working out with my trainer one day, when i started this... path of weight loss. we were doing some crossfit wod, and in between sets two and three i was of breath sitting on the ground. i had also been taking little breaks in between each exercise.

so he goes to me "come on man, i don't have all day."

i looked at him like i wanted to kill him. i went through the last circuit straight through. 27 box jumps, 20 burpees, 11 power cleans. just to shut him up and show him i could do it.

afterwards, you know what his words of encouragement were? "next time do the whole thing without stopping." then he took my money and i thanked him.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    i was working out with my trainer one day, when i started this... path of weight loss. we were doing some crossfit wod, and in between sets two and three i was of breath sitting on the ground. i had also been taking little breaks in between each exercise.

i looked at him like i wanted to kill him. i went through the last circuit straight through. 27 box jumps, 20 burpees, 11 power cleans. just to shut him up and show him i could do it.

afterwards, you know what his words of encouragement were? "next time do the whole thing without stopping." then he took my money and i thanked him.

Win. Right there. Also, I need to hire your trainer.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Some of the best and most influential coaches and mentors I've had in my life have been people who had no time for my weaknesses.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Loved the show and glad to see Jillian back. Is she tough as nails? Hellz yes, but if you've watched the show from the beginning, she does lighten up as the show progresses. I think this first week is her way of weeding out the weak, those who are there to 'win' not change their lives. The ones who truly want to change will take whatever crap she throws at them.

However, it IS a reality show, so anyone who goes on there, for any reason, deserves whatever she throws at them.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

THIS.

can you imagine how useful it would be for millions of people if some newsmagazine TV show would spend just a single hour some Sunday night explaining what "eat less, move more" really means, without all of the bro science and BS (like raspberry ketones and detoxes) and food snobbery (low carb, low sugar, paleo, wheatbelley, etc.) that they usually focus on? just 1 hour devoted to real, practical common sense about weight loss. like what your BMR is. or what the benefits of strength training are. or what are macros and why they are important. etc.

we'd never have all these crap weight loss reality shows on TV anymore and alot of scammers and schemers in the weight loss industry would be out of business overnight. and alot of people sitting on their sofas thinking their life was over because they are 100 or 200 or 300 lbs overweight would suddenly be armed with the necessary information to start getting their life back, right there, that very night.

all my life i've been told that my tax dollars were needed to fund public TV for the benefit of everyone. PBS spends those tax dollars to broadcast hours and hours and hours each pledge drive with these quack guru-types giving lectures (e.g. Gary Null), but never once have i seen public TV or broadcast TV ever spend time just peeling away all of the BS around weight loss and fitness that confuses so many people in this country. just a 1 hour program dealing with the simple, practical truths of losing weight, eating better, and getting fit.
  • yoovie
    Options
    love it.

no one gets stronger by working around their weaknesses.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Just watched it for the first time last night. The way I see it A TON of people really wanted to be on that show and have the chance to do what somebody just didn't have it in her to do.

And they need to screen better so people who would be willing to do the work would be on the show and have the opportunity instead.

All that said, I don't think she goes too far.

I agree with this!!
  • hubbaLaruie
    hubbaLaruie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There is never a need to demoralize people no matter what!! You can be tough and positive at the same time. I think Jillian takes the easy way out by just saying whatever she wants instead of making the effort to inspire. I don't think the contestants or most of us FAT people are looking for an easy way out.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I don't feel sorry for them. They choose to be on the show, they know full well what they're getting into.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Scripted for drama to keep ratings. Like all "reality" shows. Hardly any of it's real.