Everyone here is so mean

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    And the "mean people" are actually the nicest, most helpful people you'll meet on here.

Once you show them that you care and you're willing to listen - they will answer any question you have and go out of their way to help you.

Also, disagreement does not equal bullying.

dude...why you let the cat out the bag. Now who is going to call me a meanie -.- :P
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks...not everyone responds to tough love.

Yeah..but this is the internet and people are people. If they are the type that'll tell it to you straight or be snarky or whatever their personality is that might rub someone the wrong way....oh well. They have as much a right to express their opinion and in the way they want as you do. If you don't like a response, you can ignore it. Really, I promise. It's much easier to "walk away" from a comment than most seem to think.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    And the "mean people" are actually the nicest, most helpful people you'll meet on here.

Once you show them that you care and you're willing to listen - they will answer any question you have and go out of their way to help you.

Also, disagreement does not equal bullying.

AGREE
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    No one's ever been mean to me on here. I feel like such an outcast.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The only ones I consider mean are the ones who say "Doing X worked for me, so why isn't everyone doing X..........everyone is wrong if they aren't doing X..........the only way to get results is to do X like me."

They belittle people who don't live life the same way they do, they look down on others who don't eat organic free-range soy (don't flame war me, I know that doesn't make sense.....and I said it that way on purpose)
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As far as my personal weight loss goes, tough love has gotten me a lot farther than people trying to spare my feelings. Sometimes I need someone to kick my butt a little bit.
  • jo1979jo
    Options
    I only set up my account yesterday so have yet to have the privilage of meeting all these "meanies", think I should be ok though as, in my book, a spade is a spade, no point calling it a digging implement just to make it sound better hehe :wink:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

*gets her meanie stick out and pokes at you* :P
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    someomeontheinternetdoesntlikeme.jpg

babycrysomeoneontheinternetwasoffensive_zpsa9cfe632.jpg
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

*gets her meanie stick out and pokes at you* :P
    Yay, now i can complain about how someone was mean to me on the internet. And that stick tickles me, hehehe, stop it you!
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The only ones I consider mean are the ones who say "Doing X worked for me, so why isn't everyone doing X..........everyone is wrong if they aren't doing X..........the only way to get results is to do X like me."

They belittle people who don't live life the same way they do, they look down on others who don't eat organic free-range soy (don't flame war me, I know that doesn't make sense.....and I said it that way on purpose)

I agree.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    From one "*****" to an "*kitten*" - I love it! I love you! This needs to be said more often.
    Hello new years resolvers of 2013.

You might notice that people here seem maybe mean sometimes, or snarky, or say things that make you sad.
    Before you decide that these people are trying to make you sad, please consider that they may be trying to help you:

"TRY HARDER" is more motivating than "take it easy"
    "YOU NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT" is more motivating than "you already look great"
    "STOP WHINING" is more more motivating than "there there, bubula, cry on my shoulder"
    "GET STARTED NOW" is more motivating than "spend a week coming up with a plan and see if you lose weight planning."

The journey of 1,000 miles starts with but a single step . . . in the right direction . . . and you'll get there faster if you run.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    And for Pete's sake, use spell check. Those of us that have been here for a couple of years get a little punchy and snarky when we see the same misspellings time after time. It's enough to make my loose my mind!

Also, sarcasm is a second language here. You might want to master it. .
    OOPs :embarassed: I do use spell check most of the time,once in a while I am in such a hurry I don't even notice :ohwell:
    I wish I were better at being sarcastic, I get it fine (usually) but am just not quick enough to throw it out there ( i always think of it later). I am new on here (week) but I certainly hope the friends I have will be honest & tough. That is why I am here. :happy:
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Also... we're very, very hungry.

LOL this could be a factor. I get cranky when I'm hungry.
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this for some time and I think that people that join MFP are here to get support and encouragement when they are not doing so great, but when they are told that they need to try to harder or change something they get offended why then did they join MFP?

I too need some butt kicking at times and it just makes me happy that there are people out there that are willing to tell me that am doing something wrong SO to all you meanies out there THANK YOU !!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha I was just raked over the coals for posting about how bad fast food is and I don't understand why people eat it. lol
    I guess i'm mean.. lol
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If people expect the smartest, most bad azz MFPers to continue to helpfully respond to the constant barrage of the same ill-informed questions over and over without indulging in a bit of snark to get them through, they need to resign their license to interweb. In fact, I don't think any of us would survive a humorless MFP apocalypse.

Love the OP.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    How did this turn serious all of a sudden? I thought it started out so well.

"Why you gotta be so mean?":cry::sad:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hello new years resolvers of 2013.

You might notice that people here seem maybe mean sometimes, or snarky, or say things that make you sad.
    Before you decide that these people are trying to make you sad, please consider that they may be trying to help you:

"TRY HARDER" is more motivating than "take it easy"
    "YOU NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT" is more motivating than "you already look great"
    "STOP WHINING" is more more motivating than "there there, bubula, cry on my shoulder"
    "GET STARTED NOW" is more motivating than "spend a week coming up with a plan and see if you lose weight planning."

The journey of 1,000 miles starts with but a single step . . . in the right direction . . . and you'll get there faster if you run.

How did I miss this thread earlier?
    I :heart: you.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get mad about a post if you read it in your head in Elmo's voice.

If something hurts your feelings, I would suggest you evaluate why something a stranger said on the Internet bothers you. Then think about something in real life that bothers you and is really important to you (e.g. lung cancer, heart disease, diabetes). Then compare the two. The first should be nearly insignificant now.

Reread the post. Is there truth to it? If so, take that truth, thank the poster and move on. Is it BS or just snarky? Let it go and move on. Consider putting this skill on your résumé because being able to take constructive feedback, roll with the punches and separate the important things from the small stuff are marketable skills.